Chevrolet News:Spying: Chevrolet Colorado In U.S. Spec

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 25, 2012

The fine folks at PickupTrucks.com got their hands on the first spy shots of the U.S.-spec Chevrolet Colorado.

On the outside of these two Colorado mules, the greenhouse and doors appear to be the same as the current Colorado on sale in Asia and other countries. Its expected that the U.S. version will get updated front and rear ends.

As for powertrains, the Colorado in the U.S. will use a four-cylinder as a base engine, either the 2.0L turbo from Cadillac ATS, or the 2.5L from the Malibu. The next step up will be a 3.6L V6 engine. Those hoping for diesel option might want to stop for the time being.

For GMC fans, a source says a Canyon pickup is also said to be in the works, and will be very different.

When we will see the new Colorado? Originally, it was hoped that it would be ready by 2013. However, a lot of engineering work needs to happen for the Colorado to be sold in the U.S..

Also, GM needs to expand and retool the Wentzville, Missouri plant where the Colorado will be built.

Those two items could push back the Colorado to late 2013 or 2014.

Source: PickupTrucks.com

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Great news about the development work on the GMC Canyon model. I first saw this news over at PickupTrucks.com today and was excited by the one picture showing the rear wheels sticking farther out of the sides (addresses the narrow-body issue). I can't wait for more "official" news from GM.

EXCITEMENT!!! :D I am very happy for this, I actually do like this look on both the Trailblazer and as a pickup truck.

I just REALLY REALLY HOPE they bring the baby 2.8L Duramax Diesel here. That engine will kick ass over anything else on the market and allow GM to have a monster killer small truck.

GM, Remember the LUV, that diesel built for you by Izusu was a winner. Do it again for us.

Uh when Reuss said the business case for a new midsize truck revolved around the powertrains, it was a no-brainer for EVERYONE to think that meant availability of a diesel engine. I don't get it. The 2.5 and 3.6L gas engines are good choices AFA that goes.

All that vinyl is encouraging, however.

Edited by ocnblu

GM, Remember the LUV, that diesel built for you by Izusu was a winner. Do it again for us.

Wasn't the Chevy LUV diesel a collosal failure? They had to crush a bunch of them after the S10 came out because they couldn't sell them IIRC.

The real challange is to bring the Diesel to market and then the second part is to get enough buyers to keep the option viable..

The Luv. S15 and S10 all offered them but few were sold due to the lack of interest.

I know todays engines will be much better but the fact is will people go for a small truck with a small diesel in this country. They are far from the same buyers than than the full size buyers,. A diesel buyer offten has the big rig mentality and it translates too little to the small trucks.

Do I think they need to try... Yes! Do I think it will selll... ehh might. I feel it has a 50/50 chance of doing well with the right kind of marketing and enough power. Tuners could make it into something others would pay attention to buy upping the boost. That is if the engine will take it.

I don't expect much in the way of styling changes. What they so will be small. I so expect a more butch off road looking package offered here. Bigger tires and less chome etc. Also a sport package Ala ZO8.

Edited by hyperv6

snapback.pngdfelt, on 25 June 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

Wasn't the Chevy LUV diesel a collosal failure? They had to crush a bunch of them after the S10 came out because they couldn't sell them IIRC.

The luv truck was not a Failure that I know of, it sold very well here in Seattle and in Alaska where the diesel was the main engine. My Luv lasted over 500K miles before I sold it and the lady that has it still is driving now with getting close to a million.

My feeling was the Isuzu Luv was TOO GOOD and GM wanted a truck that people would be forced to replace after 100K miles, so the ugly, lousy built S10 came along with all it's engine problems, paint problems, suspension and break problems.

My family had two and my brother inlaw had two also and everyone talked about just how terrible the S10 was compared to the Luv Truck.

Think of this truck with a Z71 off-road package with the Baby Duramax Engine 2.8L or 2.9L and they will have a successful hit.

They just need to make sure they have the right marketing message on this. If they go with little to no marketing, then it very well could fail.

The love trucks engine ran fine it was the bodies here in Ohio that crumbled like a Vega.

I have a guy at work that has several Isuzu diesel pick ups [spare parts] and he loves them but he is in the great minority.

• 3 months later...