William Maley

Industry News: Average Age Of Vehicles In U.S. Now 11 Years Old

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

June 28, 2012

The average age of a vehicle in the U.S. has hit a record high. According to Experian Automotive, the average age of the 245 million vehicles registered in the U.S. during the first quarter of 2012 was 11 years. That's an increase of just over 2 months when compared to last year.

Experian Automotive goes onto say that more than 52 million cars and trucks in the U.S. are 16 years or older.

Experian Automotive's analysis also found that Ford has the most models on the road compared to any other automaker. That really shouldn't come as a surprise since the Ford F-150 has been the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. for 30 straight years. The top four automakers with the oldest models on the road include;

• Ford: 17.2%
  • Chevrolet: 15.8%
  • Honda: 10.4%
  • Toyota: 7.3%

The four most popular models are;

• Ford F-150: 3.4%
  • Honda Accord: 2.6%
  • Toyota Camry: 2.6%
  • Chevrolet Sliverado: 2.0%

Why are there more old vehicles on the road? For one, the recession and sluggish recovery has caused people put off buying or trading-in for a new or used car. Also, vehicles are just better built. During the 90's, improvement in quality picked up serious momentum.

Source: CNBC

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster

Click here to view the article

If my employment status doesn't change soon, I might be joining the "older vehicle" crowd.

It's a good thing...the MINI is 10 years old, the Miata is 11, my work truck is 11, my other work truck is 16 years old, wife/son's car is a 2005 but has almost 200k....

And all of them pretty much have the wheels driven off of them...;work trucks are going 6-7 days a week, the cars are regularly beaten into submission on an autocross course....and we just keep chugging along....

2 12 yr old cars in my driveway (Grand Cherokee and my sister's DTS), and the two older Mercs in the back driveway. Reliable, paid for cars are nice...but eventually going to have to get something new(er).

• Upvote 1

2 12 yr old cars in my driveway (Grand Cherokee and my sister's DTS), and the two older Mercs in the back driveway. Reliable, paid for cars are nice...but eventually going to have to get something new(er).

I see perhaps the 2015 Mustang or Camaro, which should be lighter and more nimble....that I could see in your driveway.

Either that or just break down and buy a current generation Boss 302....perhaps the best pony car ever....

my 99 monte, while losing it's clear-coat on the hood, and some paint in other places, is..... like a rock...with a motor. lol

• Upvote 1

my 99 monte, while losing it's clear-coat on the hood, and some paint in other places, is..... like a rock...with a motor. lol

...and it keeps on chuggin along...

My oldest is a 94 GMC Suburban and my newest is a 2006 Escalade ESV. I truly have loved some of the new auto's GM has come out with, but fitting into them is a problem for my 6'6" tall frame.

They are building them better, but also they are building them smaller and us big guys will hold onto our old roomy dependable and no Nanny Electronic Auto's!!!

So, that probably includes vehicles like my 1929 Willy's Knight that gets driven less then 100 miles per year? My two cars have an average age of 41.5. A '12 Fusion an the '29 Willy's Knight.

• Upvote 2

With how some go on & on about how unilaterally better modern tin is (not to mention the average transaction price), I would think by extrapolation, the average age would be closer to 20 yrs old. :P

• Upvote 1

Kinda sounds like me...gotta get a new one....

My car is 12 years old now, which means I've owned it for half its life. That's pretty cool.

The Prizm is 18 years old.

The Grand Marquis is 19 years old.

I think the Camry is 15 years old.

Seems like Ford makes the toughest vehicles, followed by Chevrolet.

Naw, not the Toughest, just people are sold on a cheap ass plastic interior with rubberband and twin body on frame and a Lego Engine. Cheap to fix, so the bulk of people buy em. ;)

Ya know that this just drives home the need to move to CNG. Hold a car for 11 years and the amount of money saved if freakin amazing! :D

Naw, not the Toughest, just people are sold on a cheap ass plastic interior with rubberband and twin body on frame and a Lego Engine. Cheap to fix, so the bulk of people buy em. ;)

Actually I think Mercedes Benz, Volvo, and BMW have the longest average lasting cars on the road, but there are more old Fords on the road largely because so many ugly rusted F150's run forever...

Ya know that this just drives home the need to move to CNG. Hold a car for 11 years and the amount of money saved if freakin amazing! :D

CNG is a good idea...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. gerardo
      gerardo
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Toyota Prius V is an odd duck in the Prius family. The wagon/van shape offered buyers more space to carry stuff while returning high fuel economy numbers. But its run in the U.S. will be coming to a close at the end of this year.
      "After six years and nearly 160,000 units sold in the U.S., the decision was made to end Prius V production for the U.S. and Puerto Rico this December," said Toyota's East Coast communications manager Corey Proffitt to Green Car Reports.
      Proffitt went on to say the Prius V would continue to be sold in other markets around the world, but it is unclear whether Canada will be part of that or not.
      Declining sales is the key reason Toyota is pulling the Prius V out of the U.S.
      2011: 8,399 2012: 40,669 2013: 34,989 2014: 30,762 2015: 28,290 2016: 14,840 2017 (YTD): 8,299 The reason for the massive drop-off in 2016 is due to Toyota launching the RAV4 Hybrid with sales of 45,000 models. In 2017, Toyota has moved around 41,400 units.
      Source: Green Car Reports

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Toyota Prius V is an odd duck in the Prius family. The wagon/van shape offered buyers more space to carry stuff while returning high fuel economy numbers. But its run in the U.S. will be coming to a close at the end of this year.
      "After six years and nearly 160,000 units sold in the U.S., the decision was made to end Prius V production for the U.S. and Puerto Rico this December," said Toyota's East Coast communications manager Corey Proffitt to Green Car Reports.
      Proffitt went on to say the Prius V would continue to be sold in other markets around the world, but it is unclear whether Canada will be part of that or not.
      Declining sales is the key reason Toyota is pulling the Prius V out of the U.S.
      2011: 8,399 2012: 40,669 2013: 34,989 2014: 30,762 2015: 28,290 2016: 14,840 2017 (YTD): 8,299 The reason for the massive drop-off in 2016 is due to Toyota launching the RAV4 Hybrid with sales of 45,000 models. In 2017, Toyota has moved around 41,400 units.
    • By William Maley
      Most vehicles sold feature an internal combustion engine running some type of fuel, but a Toyota executive believes this engine will be gone for vehicles by 2050.
      “We expect that by 2050 we will have reduced CO2 emissions from vehicles by 90% compared to the figure in 2010. To achieve that from 2040 simple internal combustion engined cars will not be made, but they may be the basis of some hybrid or plug-in hybrid cars,” said Seigo Kuzumaki, Toyota’s head of advanced R&D and engineering.
      Kuzumaki's reasoning for this comes down to governments tightening regulations on emissions. This, in turn, will cause automakers to accelerate development of alternative powertrains such as electrics.
      Toyota's a latecomer to electric vehicles, instead choosing to focus on hydrogen. But the Japanese automaker is working on a new family of EVs that will launch in 2020. The models will use lithium-ion batteries and have a range of 300 miles. But Toyota hopes to launch solid state batteries only a few years later for their EVs. Solid state batteries use solid electrolytes instead of liquid to hold a charge. This will provide better performance and a smaller size than the lithium-ion battery packs.
      Source: Autocar
    • By William Maley
      Most vehicles sold feature an internal combustion engine running some type of fuel, but a Toyota executive believes this engine will be gone for vehicles by 2050.
      “We expect that by 2050 we will have reduced CO2 emissions from vehicles by 90% compared to the figure in 2010. To achieve that from 2040 simple internal combustion engined cars will not be made, but they may be the basis of some hybrid or plug-in hybrid cars,” said Seigo Kuzumaki, Toyota’s head of advanced R&D and engineering.
      Kuzumaki's reasoning for this comes down to governments tightening regulations on emissions. This, in turn, will cause automakers to accelerate development of alternative powertrains such as electrics.
      Toyota's a latecomer to electric vehicles, instead choosing to focus on hydrogen. But the Japanese automaker is working on a new family of EVs that will launch in 2020. The models will use lithium-ion batteries and have a range of 300 miles. But Toyota hopes to launch solid state batteries only a few years later for their EVs. Solid state batteries use solid electrolytes instead of liquid to hold a charge. This will provide better performance and a smaller size than the lithium-ion battery packs.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Ford has quietly ended production of the C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid and will be ending C-Max Hybrid production sometime next year at their Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, MI.
      "Ford C-Max Energi production has ended," said Dan Jones, Ford's North America Car Communications Manager to Green Car Reports.
      "We will continue to make C-Max Hybrid [models] at [the] Michigan Assembly Plant until mid-2018."
      The C-Max Hybrid and Energi were introduced in late 2012 as 2013 model year vehicles to take on the likes of the Toyota Prius. But the two models would be hit with a double whammy. First was a number of complaints and lawsuits from owners saying the real-world fuel economy didn't match up with EPA figures. Ford would revise the numbers for the hybrid twice, while the Energi would only be adjusted once. The second was the decline in sales. In 2013, Ford would sell 35,210 C-Max models. So far in 2017, Ford has only moved 15,512 models.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook