Cheers and Gears Weekly Update 07/13/2012

1 post in this topic

Latest Articles

Spying: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee With A New Grille

Uploaded by mudmonster on Today, 12:19 AM

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 13, 2012

As we reported back in June, Jeep is planning a short 2013 model year for the Grand Cherokee to make way for the 2014 model. The 2014 model will bring forth a new diesel and a eight-speed transmission. What 2014 will also bring is a updated Grand Cherokee to go with those two items.

Spy shots of a camouflaged group of Grand Cherokees have been caught and reveal some changes incoming for the 2014 model. The exteriors on this group of Grand Cherokees narrower upper and lower grilles, new fog lights and possibly a bit more curve for the front.

The interiors were covered up, possibly hiding a large touchscreen for the dash.

Source: Autoblog

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Rumorpile: Nissan Begins Work On The Next Gen Z

Uploaded by mudmonster on Yesterday, 10:40 AM

William Maley

July 12, 2012

Nissan is reportedly hard at work on the next generation Z sports car. In a interview with Inside Line, Nissan's design boss Shiro Nakamura said the next Z will be both smaller and lighter than the current 370Z. Also, Nakamura said the next Z will be aimed at a wider audience.

To help with the weight loss of the next Z, Nissan could be looking at dropping the current 3.7L V6 and going towards a four-cylinder turbo.

Also, with the next Z going smaller, speculation has it leaving the FM platform which also underpins machines like the Infiniti G Coupe and Sedan, and the FX crossover. Inside Line says Nissan might turn to its new partner, Daimler for help.

Source: Inside Line

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Rumorpile: BMW Working Up A M235i?

Uploaded by mudmonster on 11 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

William Maley

July 12, 2012

When BMW introduced their M Performance vehicles lineup, enthusiasts in the U.S. had wet dreams of M550d xDrive sedans and wagons, X5 and X6 M50d crossovers, and the M135i hatchbacks roaming the roads. However, the dreams would be dashed due to emission regulations or the mantra of "Americans don't buy hatchbacks."

However, there appears to be some hope on the horizon. According to Autoweek, BMW is working a M Performance vehicle to be shown at the 2014 North American International Auto Show called the M235i coupe.

M235i? Let me explain. The rumors of the BMW 3-Series coupe and convertible moving the 4-Series designation could be happening with the 1-Series; the hatchback sticking with 1, while the coupe and convertible move up to 2.

The M235i coupe will come with a 316 HP version of BMW's N55 turbocharged 3.0L inline-six currently used in the M135i hatchback. Transmissions will include a six-speed manual and seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. All-wheel-drive will be available, along with a convertible version.

Source: Autoweek

Rumorpile: Is Tesla's Next Model A 3-Series Competitor?

Uploaded by mudmonster on 11 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersansGears.com

July 12, 2012

From the we're a bit skeptical on this file; Autocar had the chance to talk with Tesla’s chief designer, Franz von Holzhausen. von Holzhausen told the magazine that work on a new model has begun and will be an entry level model.

“The third model will continue to drive down the price point as fast as possible,” said von Holzhausen.

von Holzhausen goes onto say the new model willhave more distinctive styling than recently released Model S.

"We will become more experimental as we develop as a brand. Our cars need to have some personality.”

Source: Autocar

Interactive Review: 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE

Uploaded by mudmonster on 11 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

William Maley

July 11, 2012

As I teased in the Mitsubishi Outlander GT S-AWC interactive review, there are two vehicles in the Cheers & Gears Detroit garage this week. The second vehicle is this, the 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE. Its a midrange model and comes equipped with a 2.5L five-cylinder engine producing 170 HP and 177 lb-ft of torque. You have the choice between a six-speed manual or as in this Passat, an automatic.

First impressions so far:Exterior is a bit plain.2.5L is a bit of odd engine with acceleration. Starting off, there seems to be no power. Get a little higher in the RPMs and boom, there's power and rapid acceleration.Like the touchscreen radio, now if they would do a large navigation and not a three inch deal.How is Volkswagen getting away calling this a midsize? The large back seat alone makes you think this.

I'll have more updates as the week goes on. Until then, drop your questions about the Passat off.

Sign in to follow this