Cadillac News: Cadillac Planning a 2.0 Turbo XTS

July 23, 2012

Drew Dowdell - Managing Editor

CheersandGears.com

Cadillac is readying a 2.0 turbo version of their full size XTS sedan model according to a diagram obtained by a CheersandGears.com reader. The diagram, sourced from a U.S. Cadillac dealership parts catalog, shows the 2.0T badging along with the FlexFuel badge we are familiar with from other GM vehicles.

med_gallery_51_134_1351821.png

When we first saw the diagram, we thought we were looking at evidence of a US bound livery model of the XTS similar to Lincoln’s MKT 2.0 Ecoboost. However, a source inside of GM informed us this was not the case, so do not expect to see the 2.0T version on the road if you live in the U.S.

This version of XTS will be for sale only in China and likely be an eventual replacement for the Chinese only Cadillac SLS 2.0T.

Being a cousin of the now departed Saab 9-5, we can expect the XTS 2.0T to have no less than 220 horsepower and 258 ft-lb of torque at 2000 rpm. The possibility exists for more performance as GM has been actively improving their 2.0T, so any engine spec between those above and the 270 horsepower 295 ft-lb of torque available in the Buick Regal GS is possible. All-Wheel-Drive is not expected to be offered.

In other XTS news, we have confirmed that there are no plans to sell the XTS in Europe contrary to what had been previously reported by other outlets, making the XTS limited to the North American and Asian markets.

Drew Dowdell is managing editor of CheersandGears.com and can be reached at [email protected] or on twitter as @Cheersngears

View full article

Interesting, Interesting, Interesting.

I think this is the right approach to not have this in Europe. Focus on the ATS and CTS for Europe and then add other new models as Cadillac's fortune grows.

Interesting, Interesting, Interesting.

I think this is the right approach to not have this in Europe. Focus on the ATS and CTS for Europe and then add other new models as Cadillac's fortune grows.

+SRX

Very True, I had forgotten about the SRX baby.

The XTS was as much for China as anyone. Not sure about the Turbo in this one unless they boost the power a little more. It will move it around ok but I would want a little more power to deal with the weight.

But it is better than a 2.5.

Cadillac needs to take these GM engines and make them their own with their own tunes and their own trim. I know it is not cost effective to to Cadillac only engines but they could do more to tune them to the Cadillac line and give us a little more from them vs a Chevy.

Ugh. I know the purpose of this, it is a car in which the owner will be driven, and it does not need any semblance of true motive capacity. I am repulsed by the idea, but for this purpose, perhaps the 2.5 would have sufficed.

Considering that the DTS and decades of its DeVille predecessors had a V8 standard, the idea of a full size Cadillac with a 4cyl is hard for me to fathom...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The 2.0T can put out more horsepower and torque than any of the naturally aspirated Northstars and the torque comes on sooner too.

Yeah, why the complexity of a turbo 2.0, when a relatively simple "lump" of a 2.5 would have been enough to whisk a Chinese executive away in slow motion style?

No additional engineering. It's all been done already with the 9-5.

The 2.0T can put out more horsepower and torque than any of the naturally aspirated Northstars and the torque comes on sooner too.

Yeah, why the complexity of a turbo 2.0, when a relatively simple "lump" of a 2.5 would have been enough to whisk a Chinese executive away in slow motion style?

No additional engineering. It's all been done already with the 9-5.

I wonder if these engines can be made quiet enough for Cadillac style, though...I'm not familiar w/ the 2.0 or 2.5, but I'm used to 4cyl engines being horrid noisy little lumps...

Sure. The 2.0t is fine in the regal

But will they us balancers and other forms to make this engine silky smooth and luxury quality for the ATS?

I don't know if they've made any modifications to the 2.0T for the ATS, but I doubt they would go as far as adding balancers...

Would be interesting to see what the DB level is of this engine inside an ATS and compare it to BMW, MB, Audi with their equal engine and then post the results. Put up and shut up to the car magazines. :P

Not surprising that this one won't come over to Europe... Sad thing is I really think Cadillac needs a larger than CTS car as an image booster over here, even if the volumes are ultra-niche. The idea of a large, all American-looking automobile could very well help to turn people to their smaller and better suited for Europe cars and CUVs... The Escalade does that job well in the US, but for Europe I think it would have to be a sedan.

Edited by ZL-1

A car of the weight of the XTS will need the Turbo engine. The flat torque curve will help move the mass well vs the 2.5. Also the engine is not that complex etc under a hood that large. To be honest my 2.0 Turbo has more HP than my 68 and 72 BBC in stock from figured at Net HP.

Second witht he global market we need to remember cylinder count is no longer in play. Most countries the V8 is rare and to be honest if it were not for trucks here it would be very rare. this was like back when F1 went to Turbo engines and some companies were getting over 1000 HP plus out of Turbo 4 and 6 engines and made for some of the most powerful F1 cars ever.

I do agree from a preception standpoint the XTS should not have it here till later once it is more of an accepted idea.

Probably

Not surprising that this one won't come over to Europe... Sad thing is I really think Cadillac needs a larger than CTS car as an image booster over here, even if the volumes are ultra-niche. The idea of a large, all American-looking automobile could very well help to turn people to their smaller and better suited for Europe cars and CUVs... The Escalade does that job well in the US, but for Europe I think it would have to be a sedan.

Probably just as well to wait for the Omega flagship and will allow them time to fix the terrible dealer network over there.

Probably

Probably just as well to wait for the Omega flagship and will allow them time to fix the terrible dealer network over there.

I agree get the Euro network of dealers updated and fixed, before shipping in more product choices.

It should be a crime for a dealership to be allowed to call themselves a Cadillac dealership when they are a hole in the wall dump like a 2nd hand thrift store.

Probably

I agree get the Euro network of dealers updated and fixed, before shipping in more product choices.

It should be a crime for a dealership to be allowed to call themselves a Cadillac dealership when they are a hole in the wall dump like a 2nd hand thrift store.

But that is all the Rolls dealer is in Russia. LOL!

They do need to get this network sorted out and organized right before they make the leap again. If they fail this time even with good product it will be a long time before they could even consider going back again. We are at Strike Two now.

Probably

But that is all the Rolls dealer is in Russia. LOL!

They do need to get this network sorted out and organized right before they make the leap again. If they fail this time even with good product it will be a long time before they could even consider going back again. We are at Strike Two now.

:roflmao: Rolls are 2nd hand cars in Russia! :P

I agree with 2 strikes against them, they need to sort the network out, invest in proper luxury dealerships and then roll out the goods!

I don;t know the laws over there but if MFG can own their dealers or not. IF they could GM should do so to keep control. Or they should get someone involved like a Roger Penske or the like who has some of the worlds largest dealer networks and know how to do buisness anywhere in the world.

Roger already has ties to GM so lets work together.. He also owns the largest Cadillac dealer in the world. It is also a name that people in Europe know and respect. It would make puttng out the money for a car much easier if you are dealing with a respected name. In this case they repsect him more than GM.

The 2.0T even rated at 260 hp and lb-ft wouldn't be too far off than the 275 hp and 300 lb-ft from the DeVilles. Plus a 6-speed transmission rather than a 4. The 0-60 times would still probably be 7.5 seconds, which is adequate for the type of people that buy an XTS. I think they will probably sell the 2.0T XTS here in time, they definitely need it in China where gas is above $4 a gallon, and that could rise with demand.

I think the type of buyer that buys an ATS will be more discriminating of the engine than the typical XTS buyer, so if the 2.0T is good enough for the ATS, it is good enough for the XTS. As long as they always offer a V6 option, because there will be old school buyers that are mad about losing the V8, they may accept a V6, but probably won't buy a 4.

The key to the 2.0 and MPG is the low end torque and how fast it gets the mass moving to where you can take your foot out of it. The mass of the XTS may be an issue but the 6 speed will help keep the MPG up. It is going to be a balancing act.

On the other hand the ATS mass is so low it is not much of an issue.

The 2.0 is a engine that needs to get to speed fast and is easy on gas with off throttle and will keep speed with just a crack of throttle. This last month I have so far been keeping at 25.5 MPG in the HHR. The key is to be smooth and not a lot of WOT. Now I did not say I drive slow. On the short 3 miles of freeway I drive I normally will see 80 MPH to where I get off. The rest are side roads and stop and go for th balance of the 15 miles.

The XTS may have the same issue the Nox has with the 2.4. If you drive it with a lot of WOT on the on ramp and other places the MPG will drop but during normal driving the vehicle will meet its markes. The Nox mass at 4000 pounds taxes the engine some. The 2.0 turbo with the low end torque should help on the XTS. BUt the key will still be get to speed and get off the gas.

The MPG is there but you need to drive smart. But that goes for many engines.

Edited by hyperv6

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully that's what will happen. I do think, though, that GM is still quite unsure if they want to take a large risk with Cadillac in Europe. That shows in the inconsistency of their apprach over the last 20 or so years; the dealer issue is just a reflex of that inconsistency IMHO.

• 3 months later...