GM News: Joel Ewanick Leaves General Motors *Update*

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

July 29, 2012

Automotive News reports General Motor's global marketing chief, Joel Ewanick is leaving. The reason according to General Motors is Ewanick didn't meet expectations.

GM hired Ewanick back in May 2010. Prior to this, he worked at Nissan for two months. Before Nissan, Ewanick worked at Hyundai where he was the chief of marketing and is credited with creating Hyundai Assurance, which allowed owners that lost their jobs to return their vehicles.

During his tenure, Ewanick led a consolidation of marketing and advertising agency work at GM. The biggest consolidation to place last spring when Chevrolet's marketing was moved from many agencies to just one, Commonwealth of Detroit.

Ewanick has also been in the spotlight for some controversial decisions and statements. Back in September 2010, Chevrolet launched the "Chevy Runs Deep" tagline. Critics have said the tagline doesn't really give Chevrolet a narrative. The tagline has been under review since then.

Then in May, Ewanick expressed concern about the effectiveness of advertising on Facebook and comfirmed that GM would pull their advertising from the site. Also, Ewanick revealed that GM would not be advertising during next year's Super Bowl. Both of these comments caught officials off guard and caused GM to go into damage control.

Ewanick's interm replacement is Alan Batey, GM's Vice President of U.S. Sales and Service.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Twitter, 2

Updated: July 30, 2012:​ Bloomberg reports that GM executives asked for Ewanick's resignation after a review of a sponsorship agreement that failed to meet company policies.

"It has been a privilege & honor to work with the GM Team and to be a small part of Detroit's turnaround. I wish everyone at GM all the best," Ewanick said on his twitter account last night.

Source: Bloomberg, Twitter

View full article

Being in charge of advertising is like being the coach of the Cleveland Browns.

I see this as a case where the board and Joe were just not on the same page.

Though I was ok with killing the Super Bowl ads. Too little for the amount of money paid unless you have one of the most remembered ads.

Clearly there are deeper marketing issues and he did not sync with the Board. Rule number one, make sure your in sync with those above you so you are all running in sync to win the race.

Good Luck to him, but I think he never really was in sync with GM and did the move only for the $ and title. The GM ads during the superbowl was Great.

Dave did not make it due to driving a Ford, Ford hated the ad and complained keeping it in the news for weeks. Great marketing!!!

I'm tired of this American culture where we spend big money to pay young up and coming superstar saviors instead of credible leaders. This hop around work mentality is a symptomatic problem with our business culture in America and contributes to our instability and unemployment. Curiously the private sector who is in one way opposed to government drain is sure as hell willing to let the govt pay unemployment to get someone off their books and force the government to pay for worker retraining. sorry about the rant, even if it doesn't apply here this quick fix mentality about corporate business makes me ill.

• Agree 1

I'm tired of this American culture where we spend big money to pay young up and coming superstar saviors instead of credible leaders. This hop around work mentality is a symptomatic problem with our business culture in America and contributes to our instability and unemployment. Curiously the private sector who is in one way opposed to government drain is sure as hell willing to let the govt pay unemployment to get someone off their books and force the government to pay for worker retraining. sorry about the rant, even if it doesn't apply here this quick fix mentality about corporate business makes me ill.

Agreed that the big money and then cut them loose when their is not instant gratification of big profits is a problem in corporate america. Sadly as long as executives and boards of companies always look to instant gratification and instant profits over long term growth and dedication to all you will have this churn and burn business thinking.