AUGUST 2012 CAR SPOTTERS THREAD!

ocnblu

I had just finished lunch and was leaving the restaurant when I came upon another feast for the eyes, the biggest wiener I've ever seen. I've never had the pleasure of seeing a Wienermobile in person. It was unattended at a hotel parking lot, with the wiener jockeys probably taking a respite at the hotel unless they were having a meal at the IHOP next door.

imag0969x.jpg

I went back to my favorite restaurant, and that big wiener was still across the street by the hotel. Unfortunately, when I left the restaurant, it was gone. Here's another picture I took the day before, showing the Firebird taillights:

imag0966edited.jpg

Earlier in the day, I saw a new Scion FR-S:

imag0972g.jpg

1970 Chevrolet C60 convential with "427" badges on the hood.

:worthless:

OK, you axed for it...the gate was closed into the yard where the old beast is parked, so I had to take a pic through the chain link fence (and it's spelled "conventional"...I'm a dumbass):

IMAG0721.jpg

Saw my buddy's circa '77 CitiCar today- he's got it licensed & insured after some work (needs more tho).

Reports it has about a 25 mile range and a top speed of about 48.

'Spartan' doesn't begin to describe it, but it sure grabs attention: overall length is 4" shorter than a smart car.

The entertainment value is about doubled to see him climb out of it; he's 6'8".

Long story short, I've been cruising Chevy dealers lots for the past several months hoping to spot a Caprice PPV. Of course I haven't been successful in that time. Yesterday while shopping at a nearby mall in Moorestown (NJ) I happened to drive past Classic Chevrolet and spot a white Caprice PPV sitting on the lot across from a red G8 GT. I did a quick u-turn and headed to the dealer for my first personal viewing of a PPV. Boy was I in for a showing!!

The dealer has 20 Caprice PPV's on his lot:

IMG_20120819_185541.jpg

IMG_20120819_185605.jpg

IMG_20120819_185621.jpg

IMG_20120819_185820.jpg

IMG_20120819_185759.jpg

IMG_20120819_185736.jpg

IMG_20120819_185954.jpg

IMG_20120819_190030.jpg

IMG_20120819_190217.jpg

Most were white PPVs (9C1), though there were several black and blue Detective (9C3) models on the lot (with a more civilian, but still basic, interior). This was my favorite color: Hugo Blue (PPV, not a Detective car):

IMG_20120819_190049.jpg

Also spotted at Classic Chevrolet was this customized '12 Volt that I found attractive:

IMG_20120819_190823.jpg

IMG_20120819_190852.jpg

IMG_20120819_190915.jpg

The interior was black with the white accents, including white stiching and embroidery in the seats. Very appealing to me as a package.

Pretty cool decal and white Bowtie pairing:

IMG_20120819_190859.jpg

^^Classic always has a lot of interesting Chevy's in store, with a ton of Camaro's and Corvette's too. Haven't been to the mall area in a while. Wonder which local agencies those Caprice's are due for?

Rolling into work, not far from 30th Street Station in Philly this morning, in a big lot usually full of white commercial pickups and things I think the state uses, were 3-5 brand new also white Chevy Tahoe Hybrid's with state markings & lights. We have a lot of police spec lowered Tahoe's around Philly, but not high zoot Hybrids like these. Nice budget...and I also wonder where they'll be used.

I wonder if a PPV could somehow be sold to the general public. I mean, i'm sure they come with the wiring and outfitting to attach all the police gear, but they don't actually come with any of it, save the spotlight.

When brand new, on MSO and straight to the dealer, no. Criswell Chevy in Maryland did it a few times, and GM came after them. What you now see is you can go on GM Certified, Ebay, etc and find GM company demo cars, etc with a few thousand miles now CPO. As with other police cars, even without full police equipment, regulations say no.

Saw a pink current-style SRX in traffic yesterday afternoon, and a white Volt last night at dinner..the Volt looks rather sharp at night under parking lot lighting, definitely more interesting looking that it's nemesis (the Prius).

Sawr two Sparks at one of the local Chevy dealers (green and red 1LT autotragics)... guy that sold me my Cruze walked up and said "you look familiar", so I confessed. He's working there now. So he's supposed to call me tomorrow with a price on a Sonic RS manual with sunroof in Cyber Gray (although it looks starkly cool in white per Chevy's new videos with the development engineer kid).

Anyhoo, those Sparks are adorable in person, super tiny.

Agreed about Classic Chevy. Great dealership... family history of dropping in for 40 years... its where I played with the '10 Camaro... they had a great selection.

Anyhoo, those Sparks are adorable in person, super tiny.

I don't find them to be that tiny, compared to tiny cars of the past. I find them to be too tall, slab-sided and broad featureless plastic with little doors and gigantic lights... and tiny inside.

• Agree 1

Caught this tonight at the local Advanced Auto. Apparently 8 years in the building, its just starting to get driven about. I normally don't like 4 door hot rods, but I really like the stance and work done on this. I'm not even sure what year Chevrolet it is (besides mid-40s)... guy took off before I could ask him. My only complaint (besides the awful quality of my camera) is that it has fake chrome discs behind the Torque Thrust Ds... covering the drums. I'd rather see the drums... the chrome discs take away from the wheels, IMHO. Some nice detail work, like the little flame on the trunk lid and the scoops for the blower.

post-4086-0-64875200-1345686354_thumb.jp

post-4086-0-36061700-1345686397_thumb.jp

...and my '04 GP GTP Comp G parked next to it.

How to make a current gen Accord look good...oddly. Charger/Challenger SRT-8 wheels, all black, and lowering job. Was at our Acura store yesterday. Fun watching them straddle the exit ramp to keep the bumper on.

IMG_4511.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

New @ Hyundai lot: Elantra coupe... an appealing car, imo, sporty yet not trendy... mature. Well done. I also like the new, squared-off Santa Fe in person as well. Also, the Elantra GT looks good to me.

How did this happen?

The Veloster 1.6t grillework is ugly, and the whole car is too trendy looking to be fresh 15 minutes later imo, however.

Salesguy there confessed to having a '68 Camaro and a Ram pickup in his garage... but his (not a demo) daily driver is a Sonata 2.0t. It could very well have been sales schtick, but he says he is impressed with Hyundai products, enough to buy one for himself (Klingon/Horseshoe crab nose notwithstanding).