Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

330 CID V8

Oldsmobile's new "small block" V8 for 1964 displaced 330 CID, right? It eventually morphed into 350, 260 and 403 CID versions as well (there may have been more iterations, but those be the only ones I can remember).

Another (U.S.) domestic car brand had a 330 CID V8, but it only lasted one model year. Do y'all know which brand that was, and the model year?

A 56 would be sweet, I've owned a 55 and 57 Chevy...

And the 56 Desoto would be one of the best looking cars of the fifties, IMHO.

Modern modular OHC Mustang 5.4 motors are 330 CID as well...and Desoto beat GM to market with a 350 4V V8, the motor Chevrolet is so well known for.....

56 Chevy is my favorite of the 5-6-7 Chevys. I had a 55 coupe with a six/3-speed. Really liked that car. I'd love to find a 56 base 150 coupe like my 55 was, only equipped with the 265 with dual quads & 3-speed w/OD. My 56 was a 210 4 door hardtop with a 265 & Powerglide.

Edited by NeonLX

^ Plymouth had the 350- not DeSoto. '58 : 305 HP dual quad 350, IIRC. It may have been a 1-yr only motor.

The Bel Air is my buddy's- it's for sale. He was having some engine work done on it for sale, when the shop caught on fire and a bunch of melted stuff spattered the roof & decklid- it's out getting repainted. I don't have any pics of it handy- hopefully it'll be done soon. '56 Bel Air 2-dr hardtop, 350/T350 powertrain, white over black, '70s Camaro wheels, needs some work but a driver.

I would love to have a 56 or 57 Chevy but with a modern underpinning including a 350 ramjet crate motor. :P

Course would love a rat rod with the chevy 502 RamJet crate motor. :P

Go Big or Go Home! :D

I would love to have a 56 or 57 Chevy but with a modern underpinning including a 350 ramjet crate motor. :P

How about a tri-five Chevy w/ a Volt drivetrain..that would be radical...

Yeah, that 350 V8 was essentially a Plymouth motor and it was available only for 1958. It was part of the B-series family that also included the 361, 383* and 400 CID Mopars engines. That being said, the 350 V8 may have been available in the 1958 DeSoto Firesweep model (which featured a Dodge front clip). I'll have to check to make sure.

---------------------

*One bit of trivia: the 383 used in 1959 and 1960 Chryslers was a different animal than the 383 used in the Plymouths, Dodges and DeSotos. The Chrysler 383 engine was an RB (raised block) with a longer stroke and smaller bore than the B series 383 (3.75" stroke vs. 3.38" stroke of the B-series 383). The RBs came in 383 (1959-60 Chrysler only), 413, 426 and 440 form.

After 1960, all Mopar 383s were the shorter stroke B-series version.

^ It'd be interesting looking under the hood, but rather pathetic going down the road (despite the 500 lb weight advantage the '57 enjoys).

It'd be interesting looking under the hood, but rather pathetic going silently down the road (despite the 500 lb weight advantage the '57 enjoys).

C-57s should rumble & growl.

It'd be interesting looking under the hood, but rather pathetic going silently down the road (despite the 500 lb weight advantage the '57 enjoys).

Could add synthesized engine noise as a number of car makers are doing today..green hot rods are going to be a growth industry eventually, I think.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Synthesized engine noise...AHAHAHAHA!

Oh, wait...you weren't kidding?!?!?

Nope... lots of car companies are doing it, esp w/ hybrid and electric cars. Think how cool it would be to cruise up a Leaf and have the sound of a Peterbuilt instead of silence..

How about a '59 Buick with a Buick 462 Stage 2?

That could Rock :metal: my world too!!! :D

I could go for that as long as the generator/motor ran on CNG! :P

Could add synthesized engine noise as a number of car makers are doing today..green hot rods are going to be a growth industry eventually, I think.

I am going to make this statement here and now:

PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC MOTORS!!! :D

I truly believe that there are those out there that want the VOLT/PRIUS/LEAF etc but want better power/performance and I think a person who had the right skill set could build a replacement performance motor for the hybrids that could do way better than the OEM's could.

Eventually rebuilding gas motors will go away as rebuilding electric motors will replace them as these auto's have a generator to deliver the power needed for long road trips.

The VOLT and Prius are the only true long range hybrids in my book that can truly go on road trips. Yet I love the room and size and the true electric drive of the Volt over the Prius.

Synthesized engine noise...AHAHAHAHA!

Oh, wait...you weren't kidding?!?!?

Nope... lots of car companies are doing it, esp w/ hybrid and electric cars. Think how cool it would be to cruise up a Leaf and have the sound of a Peterbuilt instead of silence..

Something like this might just happen as the blind have filed motions with the EPA over the silent operation of these cars and how they are dangerous to blind people all over as you just do not tend to hear them. They are asking for a minimum standard car noise to be generated so it can be heard.

Kind of makes sense...my daughter is legally blind and of course she generally depends a lot more on sound than do fully sighted people.

I sometimes go into technology overload when it comes to modern vehicles...probably like my dad did when they first started offering automatic transmissions and *gasp* power steering.

^ At least those innovations didn't require any interfacing.

Scrolling thru 7 sub-menus on a flat screen to turn the fan up, when you were used to a simple knob you didn't have to look at to work, is something else entirely.

Boy have you hit the nail on the Head, the current BMW interface is hell to use just to make basic things work. I really doubt the engineers who came up with the bmw wheel and interface never has had to use it in the real world.

I avoid that kind of crap ("interfaces"). I know that makes me seem a luddite, but there ya go. I use computers and smart phones all day, every day for work but when I get in a vehicle, I simply want to sit down and go without lots of monkeying around just to turn on the defroster.