Blue Topaz Metallic

Dark Titanium cloth

LS trim package

5.3L/6 speed auto

3.08 G80 locker

Power locks/keyless entry

CD player

Dark tint glass

Protection package (rear wheel liners and bed rail protectors)

Immediate aftermarket mods: LT265/70R17 BFG Load Range C All-Terrain T/A tires, Flowmaster muffler, rubber bed mat.

2013 Sonic RS

Cyber Gray Metallic

6-speed manual

sunroof

These two represent a conflict inside myself. I was raised a country boy, and I loved it. Today, I live in the suburbs of a small city. Should I let my heart rule, or my head?

I enjoyed my Fiesta, but after my accident, I stated here I would not own another subcompact... that was before the Sonic RS appeared, with its sporty, tossable, yet economical demeanor. The Sonic is easily a better car than the Fiesta, with the torque-happy little 1.4L. The RS package is icing on the cake with meaningful upgrades.

The Chevy pickup has played a huge part in my automotive life so far, and it is a familiar, comfortable place to be, with versatility unmatched by any car. But can I justify the extra, ongoing expenses associated with a full-size pickup truck?

This is what I'm going through now, automotively speaking. The decision on what's next.

Edited by ocnblu

According to KBB, the MSRP, as configured for the 1500: $31,360. Sonic: $21,845. $9500 difference, not to mention gasoline and insurance. That's close to $200 more per munt in payments alone, if I use the old rule of $20/mu per $1k borrowed.

Funny how KBB publishes upcoming model year prices relatively early compared to the OE website. Edmunds doesn't have 2013 prices up yet, either.

Yup. And I know you'll be eyeing up the Colorado/Canyon as soon as you can, so why not save as much money as you can in the meantime and still drive a new car you enjoy?

Edit: Plus, the Sonic has the best crash test ratings you can get in the sub-compact class. :duck:

Sonic. Saw a brand new silver LTZ hatch the other day, and it just looked great and even high grade with the LTZ wheels, silver paint, and small chrome bits. I'd drive it.

The Silverado is antique. If a 2014 perhaps, but a 2013 is just too antique and outclassed at the moment. That even with me still liking the SUV counterparts, and would drive a Tahoe/Avalanche/etc. even now without second thought. Truck, too big, too much, too old.

Of the 2, the Patriot is still almost tied in that 1-2 spot. How many miles?

7200 on the Patriot. Had its 2nd earl change yesterday, and a tarr rotation. Service dep't at my purchasing dealer is low key and professional, I appreciate that. My one warranty issue so far was handled cleanly.

After nine munts of use, as with anything, eyes open wider. I would change some things on the Jeep Patriot to improve it:

- 6 speed automatic or 6 speed manual transmission offered on the FDII Trail Rated edition. The CVT still feels weird.

- More horsepower out of a naturally-aspirated 4 cylinder engine tuned for low end torque, a 4WD necessity.

- More improvements to the interior. Center console has a nifty sliding armrest, but it feels flimsy, it wobbles too much. Outer seat tracks can grab your calves when getting out of vehicle, on their relatively sharp edges.

- Odd tire size (215/65R17) very hard to find, and a larger tire becomes problematic with rubbing issues.

- At idle, in gear, it vibrates more than any other vehicle I remember owning. Slipping it into neutral solves the issue.

- Tiny fuel tank relative to vehicle type makes filling up a too-often event, although it translates to a less-costly fill-up.

Although I beat the fuel mileage ratings pretty regularly, I cannot help but feel a better transmission would free up the engine's meager available power and give better mileage.

Edited by ocnblu

I stand corrected. Edmunds has 2013 Sonic prices up today. And Edmunds has Blue Topaz as a color choice on the RS. That color, with blacked out windows and the darker RS rims, would be a wicked little Chevy, imo.

Max cargo capacity, 2013 Sonic hatch: 47.7 cu ft. 2012 Patriot: 63.4 cu ft.

I still think you either need a beater compact you enjoy and a nice truck, or a nice compact and a beater truck to go camping or wheelin' in. Despite Chevy's excellent ( and long out of production) El Camino, you can't really marry a car and a truck, and you have a need for both.

You cite insurance as being problematic for having two cars, but it costs $39 a month for my Miata insurance, it's on a 7500 mile a year full coverage limited use policy.

I think your first thing is to check on insurance, and then look at the USED truck market.

Given that gas prices will rise, I think a new Sonic would make sense, but also be aware, small cars have a wicked depreciation curve and you change cars like you change underwear....you will find yourself getting financially underwater rapidly in the sonic, I think.

Another good option would be something odd as a project car, methinks. Get yourself an old Air cooled vW Bug and fix it up...keep the Jeep. You need creative input in a vehicle, and your not going to get it trading. There are other worthwhile, inexpensive vintage cars also.

A Sonic for daily and a '98-'03 S-10 4X4 for the worst weather and Lowe's runs would be ideal. And in the 90's I was ALL ABOUT getting myself an air-cooled VW. There was a shop local to me in MD that refurbished, sold, and serviced air-cooled VWs.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

Exactly!

Get the S10 4wd modified and set up "just eh way you want it" and you've got yourself a dead nuts reliable truck...although for some reason I don't think you like nuts that are dead. (sorry, couldn't resist)

This is pretty much what I do, buy older vehicles with a minumum of depreciation and run them forever. We paid $12,000 for the MINI with 37K on the clock, it will still be worth 8K with 137K on the clock...

Your S10 at 5K will still be worth 5k 5 years later, and will be virtually "free" to own.

Even mechanically challenged people can repair air cooled vW's, and paint and body work is the most expensive part of a project. As I recall, you work in a body shop. Ergo, with the rising prices of Bugs, Kombi vans and the like, your little project would break even, be a minor loss, or make a small profit.

Dump some stiffy springs and sticky summer tires on the Sonic and go play at the local autocross. The sonic is very narrow, which will give in slalom speed, and it is light enough to pick up major steam in the tight portions of the course. Go show some Honda fanboi's what GM can really do.

Don't think I haven't ahd the same sonic thoughts myself.

Plus the Sonic would have the practicality of being able to haul home a big screen TV, parts for your bicycle, Ikea furniture, or camping gear.

Your on the right track....

...and don't be afraid of buying a less than perfect S10 4wd. Older vehicles also can be beaten upon in ways that new vehicles can't. My Miata isn't worth a lot of money. I race at Kil-Kare Speedway in Xenia, Ohio with the Dayton Corvette club (corvette troy). Kil Kare has concrete walls, and if I lose it I am wrecking a 5-6 K car I can part out for $2500 or fix myself....

Were I racing a 40K new Camaro SS, I would be risking a 40K car. Same thing with the 4WD S-10. A little bit of a beater will not mind being used as a trail rig, sitting outside in winter (VW is in garage), hauling gravel for your home, or going a month unwashed when you find a new boyfriend and all of your time is taken up by "other leisure activities."

Good luck, my friend....and I will be sad to see the green Jeep leave the C and G fleet....

Not shur about chips, be fun just to check and see wut's out there.

reg, those baby Bufords wit turbo are 30 grand. Too much money for what I need. In other woids, I could see spending that on a truck, but not a car. Sonic RS is just the ticket, the way it's tricked out.

As ever, if this were to happen, I would do my best to ensure that the down payment is enough to keep me from being "upside down" in resale.

Yes, I have quibbles about my Patriot, but then again, every vehicle built, even an R-R Phantom, has compromises if one looks hard enough. They are simply excuses to mask a bit of boredom. Automotive ADD, indeed!

Every vehicle is engineered to a purpose. Jeep has its purpose in the Patriot. Chevrolet has its purpose in the Sonic and Silverado. There can be no vehicle that suits an owner's every want or need at every given time.

Edited by ocnblu

Exactly!

Get the S10 4wd modified and set up "just eh way you want it" and you've got yourself a dead nuts reliable truck...although for some reason I don't think you like nuts that are dead. (sorry, couldn't resist)

This is pretty much what I do, buy older vehicles with a minumum of depreciation and run them forever. We paid $12,000 for the MINI with 37K on the clock, it will still be worth 8K with 137K on the clock...

Your S10 at 5K will still be worth 5k 5 years later, and will be virtually "free" to own.

Even mechanically challenged people can repair air cooled vW's, and paint and body work is the most expensive part of a project. As I recall, you work in a body shop. Ergo, with the rising prices of Bugs, Kombi vans and the like, your little project would break even, be a minor loss, or make a small profit.

Dump some stiffy springs and sticky summer tires on the Sonic and go play at the local autocross. The sonic is very narrow, which will give in slalom speed, and it is light enough to pick up major steam in the tight portions of the course. Go show some Honda fanboi's what GM can really do.

Don't think I haven't ahd the same sonic thoughts myself.

Plus the Sonic would have the practicality of being able to haul home a big screen TV, parts for your bicycle, Ikea furniture, or camping gear.

Your on the right track....

+1

I looked at a 2013 Sonic LT hatch with the 1.4L turbo and automatic on a local lot today. Nice car. Don't like the smaller LT wheels as much as the LTZ larger, but the new for 2013 color screen audio made the dash even nicer. Well done small car. If I ever buy or lease a car of my own again, hatch/wagon is a requirement just for usefulness.

Speaking of Old Skool, I am mad that I won't be able to play my 8 track tapes CDs if I go through with this plan. I don't have a portable music device, why should I buy one just to control the music in my car? Good thing I have a favorite local radio station. I would just have to keep up the XM subscription for traveling, I guess.

And yes sir, anything less than the 17 inchers really do no justice to the Sonic's buff little body, it's like working out everything but your legs.

Edited by ocnblu

ocnblu, you need to consider LEASING. It will save you time and money in the long run. You change vehicles way to quickly to keep financing and trading in. Why not have your Chevy dealer run you both lease and finance deals on both Chevies and see where they come out? As much as I love teh GMT-900 trucks, I think once the Colorado/Canyon debut next year-ish you will "fall in love" with them and will look to trade what you currently have for one. So why not consider a 2-year or 3-year lease and make it easy to walk away from your ride without the hassle of trade-in values?

I think you'll be happy with the Sonic (great car and I love the RS model)... BUT you'll always pine for the truck you don't have in that case :AH-HA:

I don't know how he does it..it seems like it would be very expensive to constantly trade cars... maybe renting would be better than leasing, get a different vehicle ever week.. :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

dfelt, I'm sure there are but those would be pretty expensive. I think most 1-year leases are for fleet sales (car rental companies, namely), as they change over yearly. I remember I did a 2-year lease once, but the rest were for 3-years (mostly kept the vehicle for 30- months, as GM/GMAC was known to "pull-ahead" leasees into a new lease 6 months early).

I don't know how he does it..it seems like it would be very expensive to constantly trade cars... maybe renting would be better than leasing, get a different vehicle ever week.. :)

Agreed, although most rentals come with a 24 hour minimum so he'd still be screwed. GM built 50 million vehicles before 1955...black Viper and blue have owned that many between them in the last five...

The only difference is that Blu's ran and didn't self implode...

I am not an expert on financing, but my mom traded her leased Cube and leased a 2012 Soul, with excellent equity she was able to keep her payments really low. Not sure how she got out of the lease early, and I even forget how early it was.

I am scared of leases because I want freedom. Freedom to modify my ride and freedom to cut the ownership experience as short as my ridiculous whims allow.