Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Ford News: Half Of Ford Ranger Owners Could Be Leaving To Other Brands

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

August 20, 2012

Ford's decision to end Ranger production and move towards an expanded F-150 lineup could cost it about half of its Ranger owners, a new report says.

Ford ended production of the Ranger last year and closed down its St. Paul, Minnesota, assembly plant where the truck was built. Ford said that the market for small pickups was dwindling and the decision was made to not continue with the Ranger. Instead, Ford is pushing Ranger owners to the F-150 or other Ford vehicles.

"We are retaining some Ranger buyers, with the bulk of them moving to F-Series and Escape. As for the compact pickup segment, it has become a much smaller part of the overall industry over the last 12 years," said Erich Merkle, Ford's U.S. sales analyst.

Jesse Toprak, vice president of industry analysis for TrueCar.com says Ford overestimated the number of Ranger owners who would be willing to step up to the F-150.

"We do know that a good portion of would-be Ranger buyers are going to different brand. Ford may have been too optimistic in their assumption of how many Ranger buyers want to buy an F-150."

Reasons as to why Ranger owners aren't snatching up F-150s are the higher price-tag and the large size of the F-150 compared to the Ranger.

What are former Ranger owners looking at? The Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier.

Source: The Detroit News

View full article

Memo to GM: Release the new Colorado/Canyon NOW! Ford has given up on the compact pickup market. No need to cede that market to Toyota and Nissan now.

Memo to GM: Release the new Colorado/Canyon NOW! Ford has given up on the compact pickup market. No need to cede that market to Toyota and Nissan now.

Agreed, if this is not a message to speed up to pick up the buyers I do not know what is. Ford made a major mistake IMHO.

...and while we're at it, GM should sell the 2013 & BEYOND Trailblazer in the U.S. - From my understanding, they are all on the same platformage...that's French for 'platform'

• Upvote 1

I could see GM giving up on compact pickups one day as well, and like the minivan segment, the Japanese makes will be the last ones standing and reap the benefits. Toyota and Nissan are basically unchallenged in small pickup segment, much like Honda, Toyota and Chrysler pretty much own minivans.

Hey Ford, YOU BIG DUMMIES. WE TOLE YOU SO!!!! :neenerneener:

It seems to me replacing the Compact pickup with a more costly Mid-sized one has been a mistake for so many brands over the years! There is a place for a truly compact,full framed RWD pickup that is signifficantly cheaper then the large models! I wish GM had such a compact truck in their plans but with the Ranger being the last such model offered it looks to be a dead product in north America!----SAD!!

It seems to me replacing the Compact pickup with a more costly Mid-sized one has been a mistake for so many brands over the years! There is a place for a truly compact,full framed RWD pickup that is significantly cheaper then the large models! I wish GM had such a compact truck in their plans but with the Ranger being the last such model offered it looks to be a dead product in north America!----SAD!!

Agreed, worse yet is for those of us that only buy American, it means I have to find an older American mini truck I like and spend more money to fix it up since there are no new trucks and I refuse to buy Asian.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me replacing the Compact pickup with a more costly Mid-sized one has been a mistake for so many brands over the years! There is a place for a truly compact,full framed RWD pickup that is significantly cheaper then the large models! I wish GM had such a compact truck in their plans but with the Ranger being the last such model offered it looks to be a dead product in north America!----SAD!!

Agreed, worse yet is for those of us that only buy American, it means I have to find an older American mini truck I like and spend more money to fix it up since there are no new trucks and I refuse to buy Asian.

Great point Bro!

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 84 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      20190505_110414-mp4.mp4
      Mother’s Day weekend was a busy one. The kids had planned out the whole Sunday for the wife and I had planned the day before to build an area with a raised garden bed for the wife. The raised bed material was bought, the area mapped out and the plan to get up early and rent a truck to pick up cedar chips and black gold compost soil was scheduled.
      Saturday morning went as I expected, up early, quick breakfast and off to be the first in line at the U-Haul rental place. Figured rather than $75 per delivery, two types of material meant $150, why not spend $19.95 for a single day rental of the truck, pick up the material myself and pocket $130 or so.
      U-Haul actually has it to mileage and other fees that made the single days truck rental $55 and change, so not as big as I expected but still roughly a $95 savings.

Surprise was that the truck I got was a new 2019 F150 with V8 that only had 300 miles on the odometer. Having not been in a new Ford pickup in the last couple years, I was excited to see how it drove, what the fit n finish was like and over all materials.
      U-Haul trucks are your base trucks with rubberized floors, dash is all hard plastics yet they still had backup camera and the V8 engine. As such the truck had no problem even loaded down with dirt or the cedar chips moving. Over all ride was decent and I actually really loved the seats as they were very supportive to my large size and yet comfy driving from freeway to local roads, never tiring to the body. Radio was a basic am/fm with a base pair of stereo speakers. Decent and functional.

Dash being a base truck was hard plastic, as we have seen in many videos about even top of the line Luxury auto’s, the dash did make a big amount of squeak noise. Screen size of the radio system was also very small. Yet as many folks have used the term, the truck was functional.

Fit n Finish was very tight, did not find any large panel gapes or errors in the paint job or exterior body.  I did find the very simple tie down points with already rusting bolts to be a bit surprising but it still worked and the truck had a bed so I did not have to worry about messing the truck bed up. Interesting observation is that when the truck is locked, so is the tailgate, so with a load, I had to always keep the truck unlocked so the tailgate would open and let me unload my chips and soil.
      The V8 engine was very smooth and quiet and the only drawback was the weird auto stop / start. If you’re in normal traffic it works just as GMs systems have worked with turning off and on the engine. Yet sit in one place too long and then release the brake pedal and you get a message on the center dash screen saying you have been stationary too long and must put the transmission in park and then back to drive before engine will start back up. Even with following their directions, it seemed the engine did not want to start back up forcing me to put it into park and then manually starting the truck again.

Other than that single issue, the truck worked and the backup camera was nice to have to get as close as possible to the wife’s new raised veggie garden.

Hit me up with any questions you have about the truck or my project. Yes I did take out the grass the weekend before so my cedar chips are 3-4 inches deep.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      RAM sees a Dakota-sized hole in their lineup and FCA CEO Mike Manley says he wants that hole filled fast.  Part of the issue is that Ram currently does not have a platform to use for a mid-size pickup.  The Jeep Gladiator, while considered a mid-size, has a different mission in life. It is positioned, and priced, as a premium product with an MSRP starting over $33,000 where competitors like the Ranger and Colorado start in the mid-$20k range. 
      Furthermore, the new product will not be built on the Gladiator platform, further increasing costs and development time. The current estimate is that the Dakota, if that's what it is called, will be introduced in the 2022 time frame.  That puts RAM rather late to market as Ford has recently released the Ranger, and a new Nissan Frontier is on the way, and even Mitsubishi is working on a truck. 
      In the meantime, RAM plans to keep building the RAM 1500 classic for an extended period of time alongside the new 2020 RAM 1500 model. Fleet and commercial customers like the lower price of the RAM Classic and sales have remained brisk. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      RAM sees a Dakota-sized hole in their lineup and FCA CEO Mike Manley says he wants that hole filled fast.  Part of the issue is that Ram currently does not have a platform to use for a mid-size pickup.  The Jeep Gladiator, while considered a mid-size, has a different mission in life. It is positioned, and priced, as a premium product with an MSRP starting over $33,000 where competitors like the Ranger and Colorado start in the mid-$20k range. 
      Furthermore, the new product will not be built on the Gladiator platform, further increasing costs and development time. The current estimate is that the Dakota, if that's what it is called, will be introduced in the 2022 time frame.  That puts RAM rather late to market as Ford has recently released the Ranger, and a new Nissan Frontier is on the way, and even Mitsubishi is working on a truck. 
      In the meantime, RAM plans to keep building the RAM 1500 classic for an extended period of time alongside the new 2020 RAM 1500 model. Fleet and commercial customers like the lower price of the RAM Classic and sales have remained brisk. 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford said that it would be cutting a shift from its Essex Engine Plant in Ontario starting in October.  Ford says the move will "better align with consumer demand".  The likely cause? Ford F-150 buyers are shifting more of their purchases away from the 5.0 liter V8.
      F-150 buyers have a choice of 5 engines when selecting a truck, the 2.7-liter Ecoboost, the 3.3-liter V6, the 3.5-liter Ecoboost, and now a 3.0-liter PowerStroke Diesel, all in addition to the 5.0-liter V8, and the customer mix appears to be skewing towards the smaller displacement engines.
      The cut in shifts will not result in job cuts as those workers will be transitioned to another engine plant to build the 7.3-liter engine due to be installed in the 2020 Ford Super Duties. That transition will happen in November of this year. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Ford said that it would be cutting a shift from its Essex Engine Plant in Ontario starting in October.  Ford says the move will "better align with consumer demand".  The likely cause? Ford F-150 buyers are shifting more of their purchases away from the 5.0 liter V8.
      F-150 buyers have a choice of 5 engines when selecting a truck, the 2.7-liter Ecoboost, the 3.3-liter V6, the 3.5-liter Ecoboost, and now a 3.0-liter PowerStroke Diesel, all in addition to the 5.0-liter V8, and the customer mix appears to be skewing towards the smaller displacement engines.
      The cut in shifts will not result in job cuts as those workers will be transitioned to another engine plant to build the 7.3-liter engine due to be installed in the 2020 Ford Super Duties. That transition will happen in November of this year. 
  • My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook