Sign in to follow this  
Bimmer325

VW launches new “Crash” shock ads

Posted ImageRound 3: VW launches new “Crash” shock ads

First, Volkswagen unleashed its wacky “GTI Fast” commercials with a demonic doll that encourages its owner to drive faster and ignore all other concerns. Later, the automaker touted its German engineering with the Un-Pimp My Ride. Now, VW is going for the all-out shock factor with its new “Jetta Friends”/”Crash” commercials. The 30-second spots depict friends riding in the new Jetta and then being involved in a serious accident. Thanks to the car’s safety features, they are ok. Will these ads help sell Jettas? Have a look after the jump…

See VW's latest Jetta commercials here

I liek the "Unpimp My Ride" commercials better too, and while it's agood way to promote safety, when my friend and I saw one of these commercials, we couldn't help but make fun of VW showing off the wrecked car at the end of the commercial instead of an undamaged one.

I dunno- the 3-completely different types of campaigns are somewhat confusing.

RE: the crash ads- It's an interesting idea, but I thought the best frontal crash rating was 5 stars; the passat/jetta ad displays only a 4-star rating IIRC. Not exactly what you want to portray when the ads themselves are obviously 'movie magic'.

They shoulda went with the tougher IIHS results, but I guess that's harder to advertise and explain. But then so are four stars.

I dunno- the 3-completely different types of campaigns are somewhat confusing.

RE: the crash ads- It's an interesting idea, but I thought the best frontal crash rating was 5 stars; the passat/jetta ad displays only a 4-star rating IIRC. Not exactly what you want to portray when the ads themselves are obviously 'movie magic'.

That's what I thought when I saw the commercial... "they're bragging about 4 star safety? I mean, that's ok, but you can buy an Ion for under $13K and get 5 star..."

I think it's a good commercial, it shows everyday people, driving a Jetta, and getting into an accident. Good marketing, pin-points how safe the product is, and it can happen to anyone, at anytime.

That's what I thought when I saw the commercial... "they're bragging about 4 star safety?  I mean, that's ok, but you can buy an Ion for under $13K and get 5 star..."

I honestly didn't even notice that until you guys pointed it out. They should've stuck with the side-impact commercial; 4/5 is nothing to be proud of and they way they present it is a misnomer.

I think they're TERRIFIC commercials, and they really do show EVERYONE how well a Jetta holds up...which was already proven by the IIHS tests. Just comes off as one hell of a beast of a little car, at least as far as structure and build strength.

I liked it, even though I was a little shocked the first time I saw one of them...it kinda caught me off guard, but then I thought about how great that marketing just was.

I liked it, even though I was a little shocked the first time I saw one of them...it kinda caught me off guard, but then I thought about how great that marketing just was.

It caught me off guard, too, but you could tell the driving scenes were CGI. If anyone's seen the scene from the film Adaptation where the pickup broadsides a Century - that was a vivid crash recreation!

i think its all shameful advertising.

first it targets parents by scaring them.

second most cars are safe enough to survive almost any crash under 30mph...for the most part. assuming its a similar size vehicle. (the catch, or the caveat in crash testing)

anything over 50 you better have your finger crossed

60 toes too

70 organ donor information filled out

all the seatbelts and airbags arent going to help anything above that, unless you are truly lucky.

the mere fact it only had 4 *'s is a good indicator of the tactics. shameful, in my opinion anyway.

Leaveteh Safety touting to Volvo, bring back teh Unpimp my ride commcercials :P The problem VeeDub has is that it's commercials lack some sort of theme that ties them all together so you know it's by the same companay. That's what makes Dodge commercials great/ Not only are they witty and pretty funny, but they has a kind of unity, the same type of attitude no matter what the vehicle in question is. Anybody seethe Ram SRT-10 commercials where it litterally blew the doors of various pickups that happened to be 150's? priceless!

i think its all shameful advertising.

first it targets parents by scaring them.

second most cars are safe enough to survive almost any crash under 30mph...for the most part.  assuming its a similar size vehicle.  (the catch, or the caveat in crash testing)

anything over  50 you better have your finger crossed

60 toes too

70 organ donor information filled out

all the seatbelts and airbags arent going to help anything above that, unless you are truly lucky.

the mere fact it only had 4 *'s is a good indicator of the tactics.  shameful, in my opinion anyway.

Ya, but if Saturn had the same ads, you wouldn't say that, you'd be prasing them, sniff sniff I smell prejudice.

vw's ads are inconsistant: 3 separate & unrelated campaigns. It dilutes the marque's message & impact, but because it's VW, snifsnif I smell favoritism.

That's what I thought when I saw the commercial... "they're bragging about 4 star safety?  I mean, that's ok, but you can buy an Ion for under $13K and get 5 star..."

Their ads deep-down have nothing to do with them promoting safety.......(as ANY manufacturer could claim just about the same safety bragging rights)

In reality, they are nothing more than constructive "shock" ads.....and they are working brilliantly....!

People are talking about them....and they have been showcased on the "Today" show....etc...

'Nuff said....

vw's ads are inconsistant: 3 separate & unrelated campaigns. It dilutes the marque's message & impact, but because it's VW, snifsnif I smell favoritism.

Doesn't matter.....

The only thing that matters is.....that everyone (including us) is/are talking about the three campaigns....

8)

Ya, but if Saturn had the same ads, you wouldn't say that, you'd be prasing them, sniff sniff I smell prejudice.

and this is relevant to you somehow? i couldnt give less of a sh*t who made that ad. the way it was done is what concerned me.

dont assume or instigate with petty comments. aside from being made up by you, it adds nothing to what i said.

they sure do grab attention and therefore are effective for its purpose. i just dont happen to agree with it and it wouldnt sway me into buying ANY kind of car.

is that clear, now?

When I first saw the commercial, I wasn't expecting the crash, and it actually scared me in that holy-crap-what-just-happened kind of way.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand how this dilutes anything. VW is just promoting its different cars/models for what would hit their key demographics most effectively. GTI=fast, Jetta=family+safe, and then I forget what the third one is.

I just don't see that this is an issue.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook