Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

No Bigger Than A Jalapeno

ocnblu

I'm amused by the Spark. And I think it's worlds better than an iQ or Smrt. I hope it does well.

My beef with it is... I wish it came in 3-door as well as 5, as the Beat Concept that won the Chevrolet minicar design contest.

Other than that, after seeing them up close and sitting in one at a local dealer, I think they're cute, in a baby T-Rex sort of way.

Salesguy says they'll be hard to get, with a wait of 4 months for a specific build on one.

Edited by ocnblu

I just read where the Spark has more measurable interior room than a Ford Fiesta. And a comment by a 6', 200lb guy that bought a pink automatic for his wife, she loves it, and he wants to get himself a manual. Not sure what color. Maybe white, silver, red, denim blue, or Black Granite? I want to see the Lemonade ones.

Edited by ocnblu

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Spark. The changes they made for 2013 are quite an improvement, almost making it resemble a chic European city car.

I wouldn't mind having a few parked in my neighborhood to borrow or, if made autonomous, to ride around in for cross-town trips. Not sure if I'd own a Spark, but I could see myself using one.

Edited by pow

Hideous, just hideous.

Agreed, saw one in NYC this weekend and I was repulsed. I get the case for a car like this, but does it have to be so fugly?

• 4 weeks later...

This is another case that shows how much the market has shifted and the love affair with the car is over. . It is more about how much does it cost to buy and how much gas does it use. Oh and can I get a loud audio system.

I too find little to love here but if they can sell a ton of these more power to em.

I think bringing the car here was a bold move from GM. Sure it is underpowered and sure it is hideously disproportionate. But for what it is an utilitarian, city commute appliance with a little fun added to it, the car is better than Scion, Fiat, and Smart. If the car gets the 1.4T for a sport model, it will be a fine pocket rocket.

Conversely I would like to see such bold moves from GM in other areas as well.

I think bringing the car here was a bold move from GM. Sure it is underpowered and sure it is hideously disproportionate. But for what it is an utilitarian, city commute appliance with a little fun added to it, the car is better than Scion, Fiat, and Smart. If the car gets the 1.4T for a sport model, it will be a fine pocket rocket.

I was told quite pointedly this week by some people at GM that the General is working hard at getting all of the volume sellers where they want first before working on the special cars that most of us around here wish for. They want their cars to be at or near the top of each major segment first. Have a good base and then work on the fun stuff.

• Agree 2

I was told quite pointedly this week by some people at GM that the General is working hard at getting all of the volume sellers where they want first before working on the special cars that most of us around here wish for. They want their cars to be at or near the top of each major segment first. Have a good base and then work on the fun stuff.

That is a sound approach. A company has to get the fundamentals right first.

That is only common sense much of which GM has lacked in the past. Like I have said they need to pay the bills before they play.

The small car sales voulme will have a great effect on how many how how powerful the fun cars will be in the future.

• Agree 2

That is only common sense much of which GM has lacked in the past. Like I have said they need to pay the bills before they play.

The small car sales voulme will have a great effect on how many how how powerful the fun cars will be in the future.

The volume of a quality auto in each segment will allow the General to then play with the fun stuff we all crave in each segment.

• 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of a baby T-rex. They amuse me greatly. At first I was laughing at them, now I'm laughing with them.

There is no link to rich history, as with the Fiat 500. I do wish it were available in a 3-door like the 500 (and the Beat we voted for) though. And as far as the Smrt and iQ, a person would have to be truly brainless to entertain the thought.

So, in the class, that leaves us with the Chevrolet Spark, which is either fun... or a joke, depending on how one looks at it. Right now, I'm looking at it as fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some Spark owners are commenting at that video that they are beating the fuel mileage ratings on the highway. I wonder if they are traveling at 70 mph (out of necessity) while turning 3000 RPM (as stated by one of the commenters).

I am seeing more of them around Seattle than the Smart or IQ. While the Smart has a loyal group of Tech workers in Seattle, the price they charge is out of range of most and people are really liking what GM has put into the Spark. I am sure Transformers helped also. That was some smart product placement marketing. :D