William Maley

Dodge News: Rumorpile: Challenger To Stay On, Barrcuda To Take SRT

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 7, 2012

For the past few months, we’ve been reporting on the possible death of the Dodge Challenger to make way for new model called the Barrcuda for SRT. It could be we’re reporting the death of the Challenger too soon.

According to Automotive News, both the Challenger and Barrcuda will co-exist in the 2015 model year. So how will two models exist with each other? The Challenger will stick with the base model and a R/T while the Barrcuda takes the SRT.

For 2015, the new Challenger will ride on an updated platform that should see about two or three inches cut off the wheelbase.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I hope they keep both! Position the Challenger as a slitely larger Muscle Car and the Barrcuda as a smaller and lighter Pony Car!

Very cool, this is good for those of us that do not fit into smaller pony cars. Gotta keep something bigger for the large guys. :P

• Upvote 3

Guest Guest

Maybe it's the GM fan in me, but I can't think of many nameplates less cool than Barracuda.

I think the name 'Challenger' has more overall brand cachet. Seems silly to give the SRT moniker and 'halo-car' status to a less recognizable name.

That depends.

Are we talking Barracuda, or 'Cuda?

'Cuda fans are legion.

Challenger was a largely forgotten nameplate prior to the new one, while certain 'Cudas went beyond a million dollars at collector auctions.

No, 'Cuda is a nameplate Chrysler would be foolish not to use.

I expect to see "Hemicuda" in traditional chrome font on some fresh fenders before too long.

• Upvote 2

That depends.

Are we talking Barracuda, or 'Cuda?

'Cuda fans are legion.

Challenger was a largely forgotten nameplate prior to the new one, while certain 'Cudas went beyond a million dollars at collector auctions.

No, 'Cuda is a nameplate Chrysler would be foolish not to use.

I expect to see "Hemicuda" in traditional chrome font on some fresh fenders before too long.

Yes... iconic names and badging... 'Barracuda' makes me think of the Valiant based fastbacks and 6cyl/318 base models...'Cuda was the name for performance models, so it makes sense the SRT cars should be 'Cudas...

badge-hemicuda-shaker-hood-scoop.jpg

badge%2071%20Cuda%20clone%20063.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Very cool, this is good for those of us that do not fit into smaller pony cars. Gotta keep something bigger for the large guys. :P

...and or those of us a little smaller who want a smaller, lighter car....Cuda would be the way to go.

I'm liking the new Chryco more and more each day

So this is the unofficial story now. Interesting. It seems ChryCo is really in a dilemma about what to do with their next muscle coupe.

Here's what I had posted about what I heard back in March. Again, interesting ...

There are also rumors that the revival of the Barracuda doesn't signal the end of the Challenger, either. The Belvedere plant is rumored to shut down for a period of time at the beginning of next year while a new car is also rumored to show up at the Brampton plant.

Maybe it's the GM fan in me, but I can't think of many nameplates less cool than Barracuda.

Aztek, Cavalier, Citation, come to mind. I would have preferred just ......Cuda'

any American-car enthusiast worth their weight in motor oil knows what a Barracuda or a Hemi 'Cuda is. and you know exactly which cars they're going to remember:

roundup_0000000000006410_image_01.jpg?v=1292964686

1969-plymouth-cuda-440-2.jpg

and when you hear the name Challenger--excepting the new ones--true, most people are going to think of these:

1970_dodge_challenger-pic-20157.jpeg

but keep in mind that some people remember these abominations:

ad_dodge_challenger_grey_1978.jpg

With less weight and the new 8 speed transmissions this will be a have your cake and eat it too car. Hopefully they don't screw up the styling.

Keep the Cuda a Hot SRT8 with the right mix of luxury and performance and you have a winner.

I find this path of duality by Chrysler to be interesting considering that GM ixnayed the idea of side by side Camaro and Firebird. Chrysler thinks they are leaving money on the table.

It worked for many years back in the day, and everyone was pretty much doing it. I see no reason for it to be any different today, the key is to offer unique styling and features for each model. Simple badge engineering may not work today, but giving the consumer variety that's actually worth a damn is always at the very least a sign that you mean business, that you want to give people a reason to look at your products. With the amount of good buzz going around Chrysler right now, now is the time to cash in.

I personally love the Challenger as it is, and really see no need for a major stylistic change, except on the interior. The interior has always been the one setback with the current Challenger, they stayed so close to the concept on the exterior and totally cheapened out of the interior they don't even seem to belong together in the least. The current dashboard looks like it came out of an '80's econobox. If they design a dash more like what the original Challenger had, with their current crop of higher grade materials and fit and finish, the rest of the Challenger could remain basically unchanged IMO.

Agreed.

One cool detail mentioned about the new 'Cuda is that it will have a wheelbase shorter than Challenger - just like the originals did.

To me, this shows that someone really gets it, really understands the heritage of both cars.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Jaguar Land Rover has already announced plans to begin electrifying their lineups beginning in 2020, but Jaguar could be going one step further. Autocar reports that the management is considering making Jaguar an EV-only brand within the next decade.
      Plans have already been drawn up for a strategy that would see Jaguar phase out its conventional lineup with fully electric models over the next five to seven years. Here is the gist of the strategy,
      A fully-electric sedan would replace the XJ sedan in two-years time. This model will take on the likes of the Tesla Model S and Porsche's upcoming Taycan. The XE and XF will be replaced by a new electric crossover that will be similar in size to Audi's e-tron crossover (possibly taking the place of the F-Pace) by 2023. 2025 would see the E-Pace replaced by the next-generation I-Pace. The upcoming large J-Pace crossover will be the sole conventional model until 2027 when an electric replacement debuts. There is talk about an electric sports car taking the place of the F-Type. It is quite the gamble that JLR is considering for the brand. But it one the brand is seriously considering for two reasons. One is that Jaguar sales have been floundering due partly to lineup having more sedans than crossovers, along with being heavily dependent on diesel. The other is that it would allow Jaguar to jump ahead of the likes of Audi and Mercedes-Benz with electric vehicles. Remember, Jaguar already has their EV on sale, while Audi and Mercedes-Benz are in the process of launching theirs.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Jaguar Land Rover has already announced plans to begin electrifying their lineups beginning in 2020, but Jaguar could be going one step further. Autocar reports that the management is considering making Jaguar an EV-only brand within the next decade.
      Plans have already been drawn up for a strategy that would see Jaguar phase out its conventional lineup with fully electric models over the next five to seven years. Here is the gist of the strategy,
      A fully-electric sedan would replace the XJ sedan in two-years time. This model will take on the likes of the Tesla Model S and Porsche's upcoming Taycan. The XE and XF will be replaced by a new electric crossover that will be similar in size to Audi's e-tron crossover (possibly taking the place of the F-Pace) by 2023. 2025 would see the E-Pace replaced by the next-generation I-Pace. The upcoming large J-Pace crossover will be the sole conventional model until 2027 when an electric replacement debuts. There is talk about an electric sports car taking the place of the F-Type. It is quite the gamble that JLR is considering for the brand. But it one the brand is seriously considering for two reasons. One is that Jaguar sales have been floundering due partly to lineup having more sedans than crossovers, along with being heavily dependent on diesel. The other is that it would allow Jaguar to jump ahead of the likes of Audi and Mercedes-Benz with electric vehicles. Remember, Jaguar already has their EV on sale, while Audi and Mercedes-Benz are in the process of launching theirs.
      Source: Autocar
    • By William Maley
      Tesla finds itself without a chairman of the board as Elon Musk has stepped down due to a settlement with Securities and Exchange Commission. A possible replacement for Musk could be James Murdoch, chief executive of 21st Century Fox and a member of Tesla's board according to a report from the Financial Times.
      The SEC is wanting the next chairperson to be independent and not beholden to Musk. Murdoch is the closest thing as he has more financial independence than another candidate, Antonio Gracias. The FT report says Gracias' venture capital firm, Valor Equity Partners was an early investor into Tesla, though it had sold its shares when Tesla had its IPO. Gracias is also a stakeholder in Musk's SpaceX, which clouds his independence. 
      That isn't to say Murdoch's independence is clear either as he is friends with Musk, and has sided with him on a number of decisions.
      Sources tell the FT that Tesla is also looking outside of the company for a possible replacement.
      Tesla didn't respond for comment, but Elon Musk took to Twitter last night to respond.
      "This is incorrect," he wrote.
      Source: Financial Times (Subscription Required), Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Tesla finds itself without a chairman of the board as Elon Musk has stepped down due to a settlement with Securities and Exchange Commission. A possible replacement for Musk could be James Murdoch, chief executive of 21st Century Fox and a member of Tesla's board according to a report from the Financial Times.
      The SEC is wanting the next chairperson to be independent and not beholden to Musk. Murdoch is the closest thing as he has more financial independence than another candidate, Antonio Gracias. The FT report says Gracias' venture capital firm, Valor Equity Partners was an early investor into Tesla, though it had sold its shares when Tesla had its IPO. Gracias is also a stakeholder in Musk's SpaceX, which clouds his independence. 
      That isn't to say Murdoch's independence is clear either as he is friends with Musk, and has sided with him on a number of decisions.
      Sources tell the FT that Tesla is also looking outside of the company for a possible replacement.
      Tesla didn't respond for comment, but Elon Musk took to Twitter last night to respond.
      "This is incorrect," he wrote.
      Source: Financial Times (Subscription Required), Bloomberg
    • By William Maley
      Aside from the turbo-four engine, the 3.0L Duramax diesel inline-six for the upcoming 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 has us very intrigued. General Motors has been quiet on power figures and fuel economy for this engine since announcing this engine earlier in the year. But thanks to a crafty person who got some photographs off of GM Canada’s dealer site, we now have some figures.
      The photos were posted by TFL Truck and reveal the diesel engine produces 282 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque - 32 horsepower and 10 pound-feet more than the F-150's 3.0L PowerStroke diesel. GM also claims a highway fuel economy figure of 28 mpg - about two mpg less than the F-150. That 28 mpg figure gives us pause as Canada reports fuel economy figures very different - 'x' liters per 100 kilometers - not miles per gallon.
      Max towing is rated at 7,800 pounds.
      We'll see if those numbers pan out when the diesel becomes available sometime later this or early next year.
      Source: TFL Truck

View full article
  • My Clubs