Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Some COE Love

Z-06

It is a cool thread, but I couldn't look at it very long because everything was upside down.

But seriously, a request...could we pump up the truck love around here a little bit...I am really enjoying it!

Thanks for the link, Z!

Jeez dfelt, are you typin' one-handed again? This is a thread for Cab Over Engine trucks! :angry::smilewide:

DOOH, I knew I was doing something wrong in trying to get all my work done so I can enjoy vacation next week. Cab over Engine. What a concept, I actually zoned on the COE thing. Chicks on Engines does play a major theme in my mind especially when it comes to old awesome trucks! :P

Hugs to all! :smilewide:

6111329598_cf3307a849_b.jpg

Ah - the International Scenic Cruiser Sightliner!! (thanks, BigPontiac!) I first laid eyes on this truck 2 or 3 years ago at the ATHS Truck Show in Macungie (June), and it's been there every year since. If you watch the robot fighting movie "Real Steel", you'll see one in use throughout the movie. Awesome looking rare trucks. Thanks for posting ;)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

6111329598_cf3307a849_b.jpg

Ah - the International Scenic Cruiser!! I first laid eyes on this truck 2 or 3 years ago at the ATHS Truck Show in Macungie (June), and it's been there every year since. If you watch the robot fighting movie "Real Steel", you'll see one in use throughout the movie. Awesome looking rare trucks. Thanks for posting ;)

Awesome truck and movie. I think you meant to say that it's an International Sightliner...

Hmmm... I wonder how short a chassis these COEs would fit on and still drive right.

Not positive what you mean by "drive right". The Ford-era ones like mine are phenomenally light for their size. I have the mid-range 134" wheelbase cab/chassis and Ford's published weight for it is 3800 lbs. I don't believe center of gravity would be an issue either; the engine doesn't sit much higher than the axles than in a conventional car. The weigh is in the frame, wheels/brakes & rear; there is really nothing to the cab but sheet metal. There have been a lot of these on short WB pickup chassis (tho I've no first-hand info on drivability). Or were you referring to another aspect?

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm... I wonder how short a chassis these COEs would fit on and still drive right.

Not positive what you mean by "drive right". The Ford-era ones like mine are phenomenally light for their size. I have the mid-range 134" wheelbase cab/chassis and Ford's published weight for it is 3800 lbs. I don't believe center of gravity would be an issue either; the engine doesn't sit much higher than the axles than in a conventional car. The weigh is in the frame, wheels/brakes & rear; there is really nothing to the cab but sheet metal. There have been a lot of these on short WB pickup chassis (tho I've no first-hand info on drivability). Or were you referring to another aspect?

I'm referring to a severely shortened version. I want would love to build something stubby to park in the city... something wider than the Smart... with a real engine... but within a foot of the Smart's length. However, there is a limit to stability when the vehicle is wider than long, for example.

^ I dont know that that's the case, and even the smart is longer than it is wide.

Like I said, the cabs on the vintage COEs don't weigh anything of concequence, and even a shortened RC/SB chassis would work fine under a COE cab. I believe it would be easier to create stability issues RE center of gravity before footprint stability.

Check out this board of COE Love and some of the really funky works in progress.

There is one with what looks like a V12 in the back behind the cab and another COE that seems like they are grafting on an Aluminum travel trailer body. Some cool sweet rides.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=print&thread=67533