One thing I hate is the door controls so low... I don't like it when cars put them that low on the door. Then again, I've never driven a car with them like that, so maybe it's not that bad.

One thing I hate is the door controls so low... I don't like it when cars put them that low on the door.  Then again, I've never driven a car with them like that, so maybe it's not that bad.

They're really friggin' unoriginal, too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the funny thing is with this car there really is no reason to buy anything from caddy above it, why settle for second or third best and not as much style? [referring to STS/DTS]

Agreed... this thing looks big. Maybe the next STS will be a proper 7-series/S-class fighter.

Guys... are we really complaining about door handles?

anyway...

Wow.. it looks really close to the ground. It also appears to not look too much like the concept car we saw in the 60 minutes special. ( headlights mostly)

but the rear end seems very short. Very similar to what was shown in the interview.

Though.. other then that.. can't predict much.

The profile looks really hot. I hope that GM really hits this one out of the park and finally create a car that outclasses the G35/ 3 Series.

oh.. something I did find.

Look at how the door handle of the concept and of the test-car look alike.. Gives me hope.

I just hope GM doesn't use it's new standard radio controls for it.

ugh :banghead:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Cadillacfan

that was no concept we were shown on 60 minutes. it is the real thing, headlights and grille match, and the door panel is just the beginning. we will see the interior on 60 minutes come to fruition. GM could not afford anything less in that class of cars.

It looks really good from what we can see. I see a bit of Sixteen in the proportions.

The rear overhang looks just a tad long, but hopefully the camo is contributing to that. The rest of the car looks a little bit smaller than the current one to me.

The STS gets a MCE for '08, so that would be a reason to buy it over the new CTS assuming it's nicer.

Maybe I didn't say it correctly... I meant the location of the power window/lock controls. I'm not a fan of having them where they're located.

anyway...

Wow.. it looks really close to the ground.  It also appears to not look too much like the concept car we saw in the 60 minutes special. ( headlights mostly)

but the rear end seems very short.  Very similar to what was shown in the interview.

Though.. other then that.. can't predict much.

The profile looks really hot.  I hope that GM really hits this one out of the park and finally create a car that outclasses the G35/ 3 Series.

oh.. something I did find.

Look at how the door handle of the concept and of the test-car look alike..  Gives me hope.

I just hope GM doesn't use it's new standard radio controls for it.

ugh :banghead:

Posted Image

Posted Image

what is on the test car? metal? or is they gray wood?

b/c offering different wood choices would be a BIG IMPROVEMENT!

what is on the test car? metal? or is they gray wood?

b/c offering different wood choices would be a BIG IMPROVEMENT!

Good catch, I'd say it's gray wood. If it was metal then there would be way too much metal in the center console/stack and it appears the little "door pocket" has metal on the edge of it - it's much more shiny than the stuff on the upper part of the door which makes me think it's gray wood.

Good catch, I'd say it's gray wood. If it was metal then there would be way too much metal in the center console/stack and it appears the little "door pocket" has metal on the edge of it - it's much more shiny than the stuff on the upper part of the door which makes me think it's gray wood.

You're right, especially if the center console stayed brushed metal, then it would be metal overload and dismissed as ugly and not luxury grade interior.

Wow, this looks like it will be a totally hot car just like all the people who have seen it said it would be. Sure there's still a lot of camo on, but from what I can see I think it's an aggressive and sophisticated update on the original CTS. Saturn may not blow away the midsize competition with the Aura, but I get this gut feeling that Cadillac may do just that to the other entry-lux cars. Couple that to an upgraded powertrain and the 60 Mins. interior shots and this is the car that I'm buying next year to replace my Seville.

About those lights....

I'm hoping that because this is pre-production, that those headlight units were simply thrown on from a parts bin and that the final car will retain what we saw on 60 Minutes because that was one of my favorite features of the front. The 60 Minutes car had awesome detailing in the headlamp units!

I'm guessing they are being used for the time being because the rear end has some Altima looking lights poking through the camo which I'm assuming, once again, for testing purposes.

Also, one more point on the lights... no Caddy should have halogen units so I hope even further that those headlamps are for testing purposes ONLY. Even lower end cars are coming with HIDs now. Lighting units are very important to not only the function, but it's the "face" of a car if you will. It's like the car's eyes. And I like being able to see a mile down the road and 1/2 mile to either side at night.

I currently run Hella FF50 driving lights with the stock fogs, an upgraded wiring harness with relays for the low and high beams, and an addtional relay system to keep the highs on with the lows in my Olds Intrigue but I'm always wishing for more light because two HID low beams still beat my system. Improved safety and the pretty looks to go with it.. I iwsh for HID standard in all cars as far as I'm concerned.

No, it's ugly, gray, hard plastic. I'm surprised Edmunds hasn't said anything to that degree. :lol:

No, it's ugly, gray, hard plastic.  I'm surprised Edmunds hasn't said anything to that degree.  :lol:

No it's wood on the concept photos, so i think it's safe to assume it's a dif color wood in the same place on this prototype, and not plastic.

Posted Image

did anyone else notice that theres no driver in a couple of the pics? whats up with that? is the background fake or sumthen or did they leave it like that at a proving ground?

Actually, the X5 has them lower on the door like that...kinda...

It's pretty annoying and I hate having to reach for them when I'm driving the X5

No, my bad, I was talking about the door panel design being unoriginal, not the window switches.

:thumbsup:

One nitpicking comment, though: since the car I'll see this side of the Atlantic will have rear foglights (those lights in the rear bumper), I hope they are moved elsewhere in the production car. Actually, a center mounted one right between the exhausts would be enough and it would look way better.

Edited by ZL-1

I like how GM is standing out on the edge with the new CTS like they did with the old one, but this time spending more on the interior as well.

I agree. It seems to have all the brash boldness that's made the current one so successful, but with a lot more attention paid to refining those bold outside lines just a bit and completely re-inventing the interior.

Looks every bit as "Wow, look at that" as the current one, but just like it's moved up a step or two in the class department :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Man, this thing is getting close to the C-class in terms of sheer number of spy pics, and it still has a year to go until production.

Judging by the size of the rear door, the back seat looks cramped.

Man, this thing is getting close to the C-class in terms of sheer number of spy pics, and it still has a year to go until production.

Judging by the size of the rear door, the back seat looks cramped.

That's what i thought too, but a "friend" was telling me. The back door is actually longer at the widest point, and a about the same size at the top and bottom.

It's the front door that has grown significantly.

(the backseat IS roomier and more ergo/comfortable than the current cts)

The best way to compare that is two pics side by side, and you'll see what they are talking about.

That's what i thought too, but a "friend" was telling me. The back door is actually  longer at the widest point, and a about the same size at the top and bottom.

It's the front door that has grown significantly.

(the backseat IS roomier and more ergo/comfortable than the current cts)

The best way to compare that is two pics side by side, and you'll see what they are talking about.

Hmm, it looks like the front door is indeed longer. I wonder what the reason for that was? The greenhouse looks pretty much identical to the old one.

Hmm, it looks like the front door is indeed longer. I wonder what the reason for that was? The greenhouse looks pretty much identical to the old one.

I'm thinking out loud, but could they then use from the B pillar forward on a coupe as is? And then the door would be long enough to allow entry into the rear seats?

I'm thinking out loud, but could they then use from the B pillar forward on a coupe as is? And then the door would be long enough to allow entry into the rear seats?

I thought the same thing, but I think it still needs to be pushed back farther for there to be room for access to the rear seat.

I had not really liked the current CTS, but the STS I liked.

Cadillac will probably win me over in a wow-I-haven't-seen-you-in-a-while-and-you-look-great kind of way.

I can't wait for GM's next wave of luxury, performance, and innovation.

• 4 weeks later...