NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1976 and 1979 Oldsmobile 98

I love 'em both. Funny, the grille on the '79 looks like a '78 to me. Wow, wha'hoppen to the trunk lock?

Definitely a '79 interior though--they changed the fabric and door trim pieces for '79 (note the woodtone treatment on top of the panel).

Didn't have the sound turned on while watching--izzat a 350 or 403 under the hood?

I always thought the '76 looked exceedingly classy & almost svelte for such a big tank. They had finally figured out how to integrate the "large marge" bumpers into the front & rear ensembles by then. Far superior to the battering ram design of the '74, f'rinstance.

Edited by NeonLX

I'm not familiar with the LX model for the 98, but apparently it's some type of special edition. Maybe it used the grille of the '78 model? Seems a little odd. My Jr. high school math teacher had a '78 98 Diesel.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 1976 Olds 98 auto's, especially the fully loaded Station wagons. I grew up in one with the 3rd seat and I always volunteered to sit back there on road trips and just stretch out and watch where we have gone. :P

That '79 is truly an oddball, In my many years of searching for info on the 77-79 Ninety Eights and Delta 88's I've never heard of a Regency LX before. What's even more odd is that this car had a '78 grille. I have the Oldsmobile brochure for both '78 and '79 and neither mentions this particular trim level. With that being said it appears to be in great shape and it is the color combo I want, black on black. Thanks for sharing Ninety Eight :thumbsup:

I'm kind of wondering if that '79 "LX" is a Canadian model, or something?

On edit: Looking at the Youtube site where that video is hosted, it's noted that there were 500 of these LX models produced, and this one is an "ASC Conversion".

Here's another site with the same car: http://www.estatewheels.com/olds79.php

Same car again?: http://www.fossilcars.com/oldsmobile/98-regency/204325

Different car, with a 1979 grille: 1979 Oldsmobile 98 Regency LX

Edited by NeonLX

Well, this is interesting...after poking around a little, I found this site:

http://www.collectorcarsforsale.com/320956018141-oldsmobile-ninety-eight-98-lx-1979-oldsmobile-98-regency-lx-sedan-4-/detailse.html

Interesting blurb on it:

Up for auction is my 1979 98 LX Sedan. this is the holy grail of 70s Olds luxury cars. most people have never even heard of the LX, and few have seen one. the car was a mid year 1979 addition to the olds lineup, and was produced so Olds would have a model to compete with the Buick Park Avenue and Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. The basic car was built by Olds and shipped to A.S.C., American Sunroof Corporation, where a specific canvas roof, two sets of additional side moldings, and LX emblems were installed

hello guys and gals, glad you found my 79 98 LX. im amused that its still not acknowledged, but you guys are helping olds people know it does exist. yes, the grille is from a 78, the prior owner told me someone backed into the grill, and he could only find a 78 grill for it. the triple black LX on your website is currently sitting in my garage, and until recently had my black 77 Toronado XS for company. no its not a canadian model. its not in any catalog because it came out in mid 79. the catalogs are printed well before the cars are introduced, meaning the 79 catalog was probably finished in June of 78, so its not in any catalog. i believe there was also 500 80 models made, but again, as the 79 LX came out in mid 79, it was already too late to put even the 1980 LX in the catalogs, therefore i believe neither the 79 or 80 appear in any factory brochures. car came out because caddy had deville, deville delegance, fleetwood brougham and brougham delegance. buick had electra 225 (i believe), electra limited and park avenue. olds only had the 98 regency (i believe the luxury sedan was last made in 77), so olds felt left out, caddy had 4 models, buick had 3 electra based models and poor olds only had the 98 regency, so the LX was born. anyway, thanks for recognizing the LX and if anyone needs info or pics of car, let me know. Take care, Steve C

When did the Regency Brougham package come out? Did that replace or overlap the LX?

1982 according to Wikipedia.

hello guys and gals, glad you found my 79 98 LX. im amused that its still not acknowledged, but you guys are helping olds people know it does exist. yes, the grille is from a 78, the prior owner told me someone backed into the grill, and he could only find a 78 grill for it. the triple black LX on your website is currently sitting in my garage, and until recently had my black 77 Toronado XS for company. no its not a canadian model. its not in any catalog because it came out in mid 79. the catalogs are printed well before the cars are introduced, meaning the 79 catalog was probably finished in June of 78, so its not in any catalog. i believe there was also 500 80 models made, but again, as the 79 LX came out in mid 79, it was already too late to put even the 1980 LX in the catalogs, therefore i believe neither the 79 or 80 appear in any factory brochures. car came out because caddy had deville, deville delegance, fleetwood brougham and brougham delegance. buick had electra 225 (i believe), electra limited and park avenue. olds only had the 98 regency (i believe the luxury sedan was last made in 77), so olds felt left out, caddy had 4 models, buick had 3 electra based models and poor olds only had the 98 regency, so the LX was born. anyway, thanks for recognizing the LX and if anyone needs info or pics of car, let me know. Take care, Steve C

My '78 98 was an LS model, so the Luxury Sedan was produced at the very least until '78, but I'm about 95% sure I've seen '79 LS' as well. Either way you got yourself a nice rare car.

You guys are correct. The Regency Brougham was introduced in 1982. Regency was the top line until 1982. Before 1982 it was Regency. LS became a model below that. The LS ran until 1981. The Regency was a special edition in 1972 celebrating Oldsmobile's 75th anniversary. Then it became a package from 1973 forward. Then in 1991 Regency Elite replaced Regency Brougham. Then in 1995 all models were Regency Elite. They were seperated by Regency Elite Series I and Regency Elite Series II. There was a Regency Special Edition in 1994 that combined options. Then there was the Eighty Eight based "Regency" that ran for two years 1997 and 1998.

In the 1960's LS was top of the line.