Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HarleyEarl

Ford

20 posts in this topic

Bland, ugly & uninspired.

I second that emotion. And the thing is, Ford needs this and the Fusion, desparately. I wish them luck. Maybe there are enough people out there that like safe blandness.

I saw the Mercury Milan on the road the other day and I actually think it's pretty nice in a simple classic way. It's perfect for my mom, and I cant wait to drive it either.

Can't be both bland and ugly. Ugliness is a quality; blandness is the lack of any quality.

I also think it looks nice. But that's the problem with the new Fords; they look merely 'nice', 'adequate', or 'what the (Taurus/Sable/Contour/Mystique) should've been.' In fact, I don't think there exists anymore a single inspired Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury car in the lineup.

The Fusion is the right car at the right time. It would've been nicer if Ford had this out a couple years earlier, but with gas prices beginning to spike, people are going to be looking to get out of their SUVs and into a smaller vehicle. Both the Motor Trend and Car & Driver reviews were very positive that I read (I was actually surprised by the C&D review because normally they nitpick anything domestic to death...but they had very few complaints). The Camry and Accord are 'safe-looking' sedans and they still sell over 700,000 combined. With a 6-speed auto, Mazda 6 handling, decent power, and a great value...what is there to complain about? This is the first Ford in years that will give the Japanese some real competition. Ford needs to get the market share and profits back before they start making every vehicle with an eye-catching design. Safe sells and wears better over time. The Iosis, Lincoln concepts, Messenger, and Shelby GR-1 are proof that Ford still has design inspiration.

I know you're a Ford guy 84, but there's NO excuse for bland desings. WE've had 30 years of bland desings. I'm sick of it.

Cars are not appliances!!! :angry:

Fly:
Can't be both bland and ugly. Ugliness is a quality; blandness is the lack of any quality.

Okay, let me elaborate. The overall proportions, lower valance & grille are BLAND.
The headlights, rear quarter panels & rims are UGLY & the stance & profile are uninspired! Edited by Sixty8panther

It's decent...albeit definitely bland. I think the most important question is whether the package is enough to attract Camcord buyers away?

I know, but at this point, I'll take what I can get. Ford needs any type of sale right now...I'd love to see a 427 concept on the streets, but it ain't gonna happen until Ford's back in black. (Random thought: that would be a great advertisement for a 427...use a black one and use the song "Back in Black", kinda playing off on Henry's old line "you can have it in any color as long as it's black"...ok, I'm rambling...)

But anyway, Ford has the Mustang for people that want a looker, and the Crown Vic for those that want an old school cruiser. The Fusion won't sell on looks, but it will sell based on what's underneath. I just hope rumors of a potential Thunderbird, Cougar, and Continental will bring some more style to the table. I'm also hoping the Five Hundred refresh will have some more aggressive sheet metal, but I don't mind the current one too much. I think the Fusion's styling right now is enough to set it apart from the Camry and Accord, at least in the front end.

Seeing the concepts Ford has put out gives me hope. And the 2007 Edge is a very attractive vehicle, IMO.

WE've had 30 years of bland desings.

I'd say more like 15. I love the chromed up cars of the 70s and 80s. What kills me is the mid 90s aero styling...everything was rounded and plastic. I've noticed that many cars from the early and mid 90s are not aging very well (Caravan, 95+ Lumina, first gen Intrepid, 94-98 Mustang, Cloud cars)...so many seem to have cracked plastic pieces that are mismatched and fading. Many of them also have cheap looking yellowed headlights. Even though some 80s cars rusted bad, most still seem more substantial than the stuff that followed in the next decade.

Some cars from the early-mid 90s that still look great today:

B-bodies
Cougar/Thunderbird
Aurora
Mark VII
Avenger
93+ Cutlass Supreme
Grand Prix GT and GTP
Riviera
Allante / Reatta

I'd say more like 15. I love the chromed up cars of the 70s and 80s. What kills me is the mid 90s aero styling...everything was rounded and plastic. I've noticed that many cars from the early and mid 90s are not aging very well (Caravan, 95+ Lumina, first gen Intrepid, 94-98 Mustang, Cloud cars)...so many seem to have cracked plastic pieces that are mismatched and fading. Many of them also have cheap looking yellowed headlights. Even though some 80s cars rusted bad, most still seem more substantial than the stuff that followed in the next decade.

yes, great point Mustang84!

Here's a very nice car from the 1980s

Posted Image

and here's a very crappy design from the 1990s.

Posted Image

I forgot how really nice those Buicks were....very sharp. Sixty8 that so shows the stark difference between those two types of cars. The Toyota looks like a fridge with wheels...people have so settled for so little.

I forgot how really nice those Buicks were....very sharp.  Sixty8 that so shows the stark difference between those two types of cars.  The Toyota looks like a fridge with wheels...people have so settled for so little.

Got to play devil's advocate on this one...

The other photo doesn't show, but the Camry (a late '80s design) is no worse than the dull models GM churned out then....think of cars so bland as to be invisible---the A-bodies (Ciera, Celebrity, etc), J-cars (Cavalier and it's 4 siblings), the N-cars (Grand Am, Skylark, Calais), the Corsica, the X-cars.... nothing memorable about those appliances... Ford and Chrysler did it also--- cars like the Tempo/Topaz, the dozens of K-car based models (Reliant, 400, 600, E-class, LeBaron, etc... I don't see how a Camry could be any worse than the mediocre cars the big 3 churned out then....

Ironic that Ford originally designed the Mustang specifically to capture the youth market. Today, most of the Mustangs I see are being snapped up by nostalgic Boomers who want their youth back- Not the youth of today. I don't see any one vehicle that has been successful at capturing the youth market today. The Honda Civic came close in the '90's, but the market has continued to fragment since then.

I think a lot of that is because the youth market can't afford to buy new. Even though Scions were aimed at kids in their 20s, I see mostly middle-aged people driving them. College age people simply don't have buying power to get a new car....unless they or their parents are rich. Edited by mustang84

The whole gearing to youth thing is baffling...most of them can't afford the cars. I really think automakers are marketing in essence to older people with money that have a 'youthful' outlook. And what are they really going after?.....45 years old instead of 50?...is that 'youth' in the eyes of marketers? It's all so confusing.

The whole gearing to youth thing is baffling...most of them can't afford the cars.  I really think automakers are marketing in essence to older people with money that have a 'youthful' outlook.  And what are they really going after?.....45 years old instead of 50?...is that 'youth' in the eyes of marketers?  It's all so confusing.

Nothing really baffling...the rationale of going after younger buyers (i.e. people in the 22-30 range, out of college and employed) is that if you succed with a buyer at that age, you have better odds of having a customer for life... think of the brands that have had a lot of success with the younger buyers---Honda, VW, Toyota (to a lesser extent), Nissan, Mitsubishi---they probably won't be shopping for GM products in their 30s and beyond..

GM has to increase it's share of younger buyers with quality products so they can add them to the family long-term. Edited by moltar

Mitsubishi buyers probably won't be shopping for Mitsubishi in a few years.

Add Nissan to that mix. The difference is Nissan, VW, and Honda can sustain those early customers with their luxury Infiniti, Audi, and Acura brands.

Bland, ugly & uninspired.

[post="9404"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

......and promises to be OH so much of a better car to drive and ride in than a Malibu or G6......

By the way.....Milan doesn't do "bland" anywhere NEAR as offensively as the Malibu...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room