What features & options do you want to see on the new 2014 full-size trucks?

What is the LED proposal?

2011GMCSierraAT004.jpg

See the white "line" at the bulkhead and on both sides of the inside pickup box? Those are white LEDs that light up the cargo bed. Works great, from what I saw of it at the 2011 NYIAS. Plus if you had a tonneau cover in place, it still works great compared to a roof-mounted cargo lamp.

Got any more info/pics on this bed concept, Roger?

But the stepside is dead. Too many people would rather have the utility of the fleetside vs the styling of the step side.

If you can style a Step Side in a way that it does not cut bed volume you might be able to bring it back.

It is bad enough our short bed ext cab has a short bed but to make it less wide that just hurts. My Sonoma bet was that large.

I had a stepside Sonoma once upon a time and it was wide enough to accept an ATV. The sidewalls of the ATV's tires rubbed a bit going in, but then again they also did on my fleetside S10. It worked. It was functional.

Ford was the last manufacturer to offer a stepside bed on their eleventh generation F-150 pickups. I thought it was really neat that it was available as an option on crew cab models. And you know something? Just by eyeballing it, I don't think Ford lost much bed width at all with their last stepside bed.

nw_640.jpg

Edited by black-knight

From the GMC Sierra HD All Terrain Concept Press Kit:

Large fender flares stretch away from the body to cover the 35-inch-tall BFGoodrich tires. At the rear, the cargo box features lockable, lighted storage compartments, along with a number of tie-down cleats, including a pair in the bed floor and two on each side of the bed. A non-slip rubber pad is used on the tailgate, while two special compartments inside the cargo box provide access to a 110-volt power outlet and air compressor. A composite bed liner with a unique “circuit board” pattern provides a protective cover for the bed.

Also, realize that with the suspension lift the rear wheels do not intrude into all the way into the bed as on a normal pickup. Those bedside "bumps" are for the Rambox-like storage bins on the top (reason for the "bumps" to be so tall).

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

But the stepside is dead. Too many people would rather have the utility of the fleetside vs the styling of the step side.

If you can style a Step Side in a way that it does not cut bed volume you might be able to bring it back.

It is bad enough our short bed ext cab has a short bed but to make it less wide that just hurts. My Sonoma bet was that large.

I had a stepside Sonoma once upon a time and it was wide enough to accept an ATV. The sidewalls of the ATV's tires rubbed a bit going in, but then again they also did on my fleetside S10. It worked. It was functional.

Ford was the last manufacturer to offer a stepside bed on their eleventh generation F-150 pickups. I thought it was really neat that it was available as an option on crew cab models. And you know something? Just by eyeballing it, I don't think Ford lost much bed width at all with their last stepside bed.

nw_640.jpg

I had a Sonoma fleet side and I would want nothing less. The step side would take a ATV but not much else.

I haul a Soap Box Derby car in a full size short bed now and it just fits at 6 foot. I wish all trucks were about 6.5 foot.

Ford comprimised it as much as you could and still get someone to buy it. You don't see many and I might have to agree a aftermarket retro fit would be a good option.

Quick Google search:

bed1.jpg

GMC-Sierra-All-Terrain-HD-Concept-truck-bed-1024x640.jpg

2011-naias-gmc-sierra-all-terrain-hd-concept-live-photos_34.jpg

2011-naias-gmc-sierra-all-terrain-hd-concept-medium_18.jpg

I will have to access my external harddrive for the pictures I took at the '11 NYIAS, and I will also review the press release to see if it provides any additional info on the bed.

Now this is what I was talking about earlier. Even a storage box behind the rear tire and infront of the rear bumper under the floor would be nice like Toyota has.

I thought about moving the wheels outboard too - having no (or smaller) wheelwells inside the bed would be very nice.

I do agree that this idea would have to be utility-based at it's heart, but I already have multiple ideas on that front.

Maybe we can talk some of our resident sketch/photoshop talent into a little project...

Just take the bed from the 4 wheel steer GM trucks and use it. That gave bed room and some flair.

You would have to size it to a rear in production so you would not have the expense of tooling a new housing.

From the GMC Sierra HD All Terrain Concept Press Kit:

Large fender flares stretch away from the body to cover the 35-inch-tall BFGoodrich tires. At the rear, the cargo box features lockable, lighted storage compartments, along with a number of tie-down cleats, including a pair in the bed floor and two on each side of the bed. A non-slip rubber pad is used on the tailgate, while two special compartments inside the cargo box provide access to a 110-volt power outlet and air compressor. A composite bed liner with a unique “circuit board” pattern provides a protective cover for the bed.

Also, realize that with the suspension lift the rear wheels do not intrude into all the way into the bed as on a normal pickup. Those bedside "bumps" are for the Rambox-like storage bins on the top (reason for the "bumps" to be so tall).

Lots to look at and consider in the pics and the description.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jeff Christman

I have called gmc for years now the only option I want is two tone paint and chrome they need to fire plain Jane they need to look back to the days when trucks were cool. I could design a truck that any right thinking American would want . Stupid college designers think video games not trucks