Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Dealer training video

Videos like this make me miss my '84 Cutlass Supreme. It was just like the gray sedan in the video, except it was white with a burgundy interior. Too bad GM still has not bothered building a sweet RWD sedan yet, once the W-body took over in '88. I sometimes still miss Olds. That CS was the best sedan (98 Regency aside) that Olds ever built, before FWD and cheapening killed the brand.

RIP Olds Cutlass Supreme: 1954-1997. RIP Oldsmobile: 1897-2004.

If GM ever wants to win in the mid-size game again, they need to look back to this time that they were winning. The Cutlass Supreme had a Coupe, Sedan, Hatchback (until 1981), and Wagon (until 1982), multiple engine choices and fuel choices, multiple transmission choices, and even Economy, Sporty, or Luxury editions inside of the body style lines. That's how GM sold so many of these.

They get closest to this with Cruze/Verano, but only on engine and trim choices. They need to bring body styles back in a big way without renaming the car.

I agree totally. More variations per nameplate can only build sales. It is a strategy whose time has come... back. Sonic, Spark, Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Regal, and Verano are all ripe for bodystyle proliferation. ATS should have a coupe and soft top convertible. An XTS coupe would be special enough just as a strict 2-door version of the sedan without added rakishness, imo.

The fastback Cutlass and Century weren't hatchbacks though, they had conventional trunks and no folding seats.

Nope. It was just a fastback. I liken it to the notchback/fastback choices of the 40s/early 50s from GM.

Edited by ocnblu

Not sure... the 1980 Pontiac Phoenix 4-door and Chevy Citation 2- and 4-door FWD X-bodies were hatchbacks... and late model 2-door RWD X-body Skylark and Omega were available with hatches in addition to standard trunks.