Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1980 Pontiac Full Line Features video

I always liked the '80 fullsize Pontiacs. That black and gold GP is the best looking of the square, small body GPs as well, imo. I do prefer it with snowflake wheels, though.

I like the '80 Bonneville models, the Firebird lineup, and the Safari s/w (was it called Safari at that time?). I can dig the black & gold GP with the snowflake rims, though I am more of a fan of the wedge-shape generation ('81-'87). Too bad the snowflake rims didn't make it to those years.

Oh, and this is a hoot:

post-418-0-69946500-1350327025_thumb.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I love excitement to the gallon. That is what is wrong with today's cars, tall gearing and weak 4-bangers have robbed them of Excitement!

1980 was an interesting year. The small 4.3 265 V8 was introduced. The hydraulic lockup torque converter was widely in use. The 400 V8 was supplanted by the 301 turbo with 210 Hp and 345 torque. The Grand Am and Grand Prix SJ coupe got a boost in power with the W72 version of the 301 4BBL which made 170 HP while laughable today was far superior to most any other like sized engine including the 120 HP Chrysler 318, the 130 Hp Ford/Lincoln 302, the 140 Hp Olds 307 and the 155 HP Chevy 305 to name a few. Plans even had the 301 turbo going in those cars when production capacity was increased. But we know what happened to change all that- the second stinking oil crisis of that year that forever changed the automotive landscape plus GM's bean counters that eliminated the Pontiac and Buick V8's forcing everybody into Chevy and Olds engines. Things at Pontiac would never be the same. I would love to have seen what would have happened over at Pontiac if those two situations never occurred. 300 plus Hp port injected 301 turbos. Muscle car Grand Prix 2+2's. Trans Ams that would kill Corvettes. With more development, fuel injection and better flowing head design, the Pontiac mills could have been turned into some real excitement.

If the second oil crisis never happened the 301 turbo was planned to go into the Grand Prix SJ and maybe even other Gm divisions like Oldsmobile. 1981/82 were two very painful years to watch as a young car enthusiast. It was like watching a train badly derail. Power was out, fuel economy and emission were in. Pontiac's slogan was MPG- more Pontiac miles to the gallon or something like that. Nothing even mentioned about excitement.