Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1987 GM Detroit Collection video

I have another GM video to share. This video is titled: " 1987 General Motors Detroit Collection". It is from the downsized era. There are only two true full sized cars in the video: Chevrolet Caprice and Cadillac Brougham. The rest of the GM cars are downsized and look like each other. I understand why customers said it was hard to tell them a part. This was a low period at GM.

I think the FWD A-bodies were the worst offenders in the cookiecutter era, with identical greenhouses (until Olds and Buick rounded their coupes off later, keeping them twins, but apart) and squared-off lower bodies that just didn't have enough unique lines to differentiate themselves. They did prove to be much better cars than the X-bodies they were based on though, I still see these on the roads.

One had to look closely to notice the subtle differences between N-bodies, especially Buick and Olds. Buick and Olds H-bodies suffered from identical greenhouses, too, and sparsely styled lower bodies. The Bonneville of the era was most different.

As far as the FWD C-bodies, again, one had to look closely. Buick had a clamshell hood and horizontal taillamps, but those severe, identical greenhouses sort of negated any lower body differences.

The tiny E-bodies were most unique from each other, imo. They were just too small and too reminiscent of the N-bodies to be aspirational.

To this day, when I see a first-gen N-body, I believe they were slated to take over from the RWD G-body cars... Regal/Somerset Regal, Cutlass/Calais, Grand Prix/Grand Am, and even Monte Carlo/Beretta (L-body). My thought is, there was so much customer backlash against the wholesale downsizing, they decided to soldier on with the RWD G cars for a few more years. They were too far along in development to cancel the N cars, so they changed course and brought them out as smaller companion models.

Even thought I grew up in that era of the late 70's and early 80's I am so glad it is history. Those cars are Terrible. The body pitch and sway. That poor Camero just was all over the road in how it responded. The cars all blended into each other. The gaps and lack of quality was tragic.

So glad we are in better days.

The lameness cup overfloweth.

This is almost a "worst of '87" thing.

MIA:

Cutlass

Grand Prix

Regal/Grand National

Monte Carlo

El Camino/ Caballero

Firebird/Trans Am!

Anything more than a base Camaro

The trucks and SUVs

And that music was just about the worst possible.

WTF was GM thinking?

Edited by Camino LS6

This was the era of awful cars that pretended to be what they were not.

Ya gotta laugh at the bounce and float of the cars as they go around a corner. Wonder how many takes it took to get it going fast and stay in control without loosing it due to the bounce and float suspensions. We truly made some sucky cars then.

The best car video from 1987 is the Dodge Daytona promo, also found on Test Drive Junkie. It hits on every 80s cliche, most multiple times. The Chevy Celebrity video with the guys golfing is pretty classic too.

This video is the poster child of "too many models, too many brands." Not only did cars like Cavalier, Celebrity, Caprice have multiple body styles, but then they sold them among multiple brands.

Where are the W-bodies? The Allante? Reatta? "Fiero? Firebird? Olds Calais? They only showed 2 Oldsmobiles, but the Custom Bruiser was still in production then as was the Electra Estate and Pontiac Safari. The high point for me was seeing the Caprice and Caprice Estate trying to hustle through some of the same turns as the Corvette and doing a rather admirable job all things considered.