NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1985 Cadillac Deville & Fleetwood Dealer Promo

wow, that is amazing to be reminded of what went wrong.

being FWD was the least of these cars' worries. FWD didn't hurt the previous Eldorado and Seville in the least.

One of the things that bothers me about these cars (and the W-bodies) is that the front wheel well openings are dramatically larger than the rears.

Edit: I didn't know the 4.3 V6 Diesel was available in these! I'd love to find one!

being FWD was the least of these cars' worries. FWD didn't hurt the previous Eldorado and Seville in the least.

True, but the previous E-bodies were north-south FWD and not transverse engine FWD...the horrid proportions of typical GM transverse engine FWD hurt these cars quite a bit--the absurdly short front wheel-to-door distance, for example... it would be interesting to park one of these next to an XTS and compare the dimensions.

I assume the large wheel openings was for chain clearance.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Does it really matter which way you mount a 4100 boat anchor?

Not really, but it seems to have a big impact on the way they style and engineer the car...the '79-85 E-bodies had great long hoods and overall proportions--they looked like RWD cars in profile... so many of the downsized FWD models had dreadful proportions...long front overhang but the wheel right up against the door. I hate the short front ends and short wheel to door distances on most FWD cars-- not to mention how it cuts into front legroom.

Makes for a narrow footwell when you have a wheelhouse intruding into the passenger compartment.

Makes for a narrow footwell when you have a wheelhouse intruding into the passenger compartment.

Yes...I hate that on FWD cars. The front wheelhouse should be completely in front of the passenger compartment, never intruding..I can understand it intruding in minivans or full size vans, but on a largish car it's weak.... that is my fundamental point of dislike about FWD cars. You don't have that kind of nonsense w/ RWD.

These cars did have surprising amounts of interior room and were quite well packaged at the time. try sitting in a similar sized car today and feel this spacious. The biggest let down with these cars was the shorter appearance, the poor quality, the failed steering racks and automatic climate control/electrical bugs, the Ht4100 engine disaster with only 125 HP and the then troublesome 440 transaxle. These cars were terrible out of the gate and prompted Cadillac to engineer in many changes such as the 4500 upgrade in 1988, improved racks, longer taillights and then in 1989 a longer revamped body.