Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Sandy

Camino LS6

Good luck, B. We'll soak up some o the wind for you over here.

I'm all battened down here; gutters cleaned, yard junk stowed, mowed the leaves up, put the downspout extensions on, raised junk in the basement off the floor, chainsaw prepped vehicles all fueled, provisions stowed. Waitin on my buddy to loan me a generator...

I'm not concerned about flooding much here @ the Ranch. It's real flat by me with no bodies of water in the immediate area.

Highest 3 recorded rainfalls from Irene were 11.2", 10.5", 10" in 3 different towns, but we had a heavy rain about 3 days before and the ground was already fairly soaked. This time, it's been a really dry month. Question, of course, is how much will fall. Last I saw for my area was 4-6", but looking at 'Weather in Motion' it looks like the bulk will fall west of me for the rest of today. Hoping like hell it veers off and/or loses power Monday.

Wind is my bane here. I swear; after this storm, I am GOING to cut trees in my yard.

Further west where I'm at, the remaining leaves are constantly agitated by a steady breath, and the rain, after a sputter earlier today, has set in in earnest. Robocall from Pennsylvania Power & Light advising us of possible week-long power outages as a result, but that crews have been called in from neighboring territories to minimize power line repair time.

Wind and trees are the biggest threat here as well, If even one goes down on the lane, so goes the power (for days).

I suppose that the dam at the pond could fail, but it's survived some pretty intense rainfalls. If it does go though, that would be it for the lane for a very long time.

Edited by Camino LS6

I live right about 2 blocks in from the shore here in The Bronx right near the Throgs Neck Bridge, Wind started to kick up a few hours ago, no rain yet. My mother works at a public library in Yonkers and she tells me they will be closed tomorrow. Irene wasn't all that bad last year, I'm hoping this one is about the same. Got my phone on the charger and it will stay plugged in untii we lose power, if ever.

We're on the "dry" side of the storm (meaning 3-6" of rain). Still, we were told by the local power authority to prepare to be without power for 7-10 days. Irene knocked me out for 5 last year. I have more than enough nonperishables to get me through, and I cooked up some of my meat from the freezer so hopefully it'll resist spoiling for a bit longer. Even if I did lose the perishables, there's no big monetary loss, not worth the cost of fighting the mobs to buy a $350 generator. I'll still have running water, a gas range top, a working gas fireplace, and a propane barbecue. Work shut down preemptively until 11AM Wednesday, subject to change.

Philly schools are closed tomorrow. It's odd...like a snow day coming.

Living in the city and on the top of a hill, I'm not concerned at all. My parents are on the bay in Delaware and their area the usual "evacuate now" but they don't. Windy road down around past them along the bay is already flooded.

I cooked myself multiple dinners today. I'll call that my hurricane prep, otherwise it's just prep for the week. Perfect timing with end of month, and car sales. Much to be done indoors instead, I forsee.

I'm hoping if there are power outages, it's not 5 days like last year's storm. Dealt with all the yard and gutter cleaning this weekend.

Forecast is for 75-80mph winds. I think the hangars are rated for 80mph or some such thing, so hopefully the roof doesn't get torn off...that would be a bad day for the plane and the Novamad (they share the hangar).

I drove home from Allentown PA yesterday (in the ZL1) and there were just rows and rows of bucket trucks, trailers with generators, RVs and Campers all headed east on I-78. Here in Pittsburgh, if it weren't for the TV blaring about the Frankenstorm, it'd be just a typical rainy fall day here.

• Agree 1

Up here in New England we're on the dry side of the storm, so we're only expecting 2-4 inches. The wind is the concern, as between 12pm and 9pm gusts could get as strong as 50-60 mph.

Spent the afternoon doing some work to the garage roof yesterday and the flat section on the house where the rubber mat came loose, all the stuff in the yard has been put away. If we lose power a friend has a small generator we can use to keep the fridge powered, that's all that really matters, and we an cook on the grill. The garage roof is my only real concern.

Be safe.

Made it out of Manayunk this morning and west to work in Limerick, PA. I was the only one of us from Philly to do so (honestly, rain, get in the car and work) and then an hour later with the forecast our owner closed the store down by 10am. Back home and working, on my way back still just rain and things like 45mph storm speed limits no one is obeying yet.

Time for snow day work at home. New Acura's to roll!

Stay safe. Looks crazy, but you never know based on meteorologist's antics.

Stay away from Main st. in Manayunk - it will be one with the river before this ends.

Rain/wind in varying intensities for the past few hours, lights flickered a few times - just getting started.

Tonight will be the main event.

Yes. I live at the top of the hill or Green Lane, my general manager lives at the bottom but it never floods where he is due to placement and drainage. We'll see.

Stopped at Starbucks on Main St on my way home, was closing by 11am. Strange. Monday is down the tubes already for work, but it's only just rain right now and not the real storm.

My parents remain on the Delaware bay, with a boat load of cars and trees. My father's invention to keep his canvas '68 Coronet "garage" in place. Creative. We'll see if it works:

IMG_8987.jpg

I sure hope the Coronet isn't in there, surrounded by trees with leaves still on them.

Oh, it's definitely in there. That is the body shop "garage". It has been secure through several storms so far, overly braced and staked down.

All fine in Philly. Work from home continues. But apparently the city is closed again tomorrow.

Lost partial power now, weird wiring in my house, the front half is without power save for the microwave, my bedroom which is at the rear still has power as of now. It's just odd the microwave is the only thing in the kitchen working currently.

Wind in my area (Burlington County, NJ) is 44 MPH per the news. Was at the fire station from 7:00 AM-4:00 PM, came home to be with the wife and kids as the storm made landfall just south of Atlantic City. I plan to go back to the station at 8:00 PM for the remainder of the night for whatever emergencies pop up. Be safe everyone!!

I sure hope the Coronet isn't in there, surrounded by trees with leaves still on them.

Oh, it's definitely in there. That is the body shop "garage". It has been secure through several storms so far, overly braced and staked down.

All fine in Philly. Work from home continues. But apparently the city is closed again tomorrow.

when i lived at my grandfathers place i was on the top of the hill and always caught the wind. i took a trip to lowes and bought mobile hope anchors that are basically three foot augers and used them to secure my temporary carport like that to the ground. used 650lb rated rachet straps to secure the frame to the augers. it may seem like overkill but only takes seeing the wind lift the whole thing a few inches off the ground to decide the stock stuff dont cut it. best of luck to all of you in the storm.

Been interesting. Philly highways are closed until 2am (I joked, perfect, 3am I was going to go shopping...) but it's mostly been rain and wind, neither too bad.

Beachy Delaware is fairing okay, where my parents are. Flooded, but expected. Well, except for the Indian River bridge I thought was higher than it seems when the water goes nuts:

bridge.jpg

The crazy comes in looking at Atlantic City, and then New York tonight. That much rushing water over NYC streets is just bizarre to see.

We're re-opening Acura at some point late tomorrow morning, to be decided. Depending on water, wind, etc.

Lights on. Stay safe.

The upside to Sandy....

8136357994_3f9bff9b0e_b.jpg

One less Toy on the road. :P I just hope no one got hurt.

Wishing you all a safe experience in the storm. The pictures on the news are freaking amazing.

I'm back.

Lost power right after my last post, and just now got it back.

My house is quite chilly...

Damage much less than expected, and all of the trees that fell right here managed to fall in the right direction for once.

Still raining with a gust now and then, and very chilly, but could be so much worse.

If this had happened just a week or so ago, with so many leaves still on all the trees, this would have been a far worse disaster around here.

Fortunately, many of the trees were already bare, or close to it, before Sandy got here.

Lost maybe a half dozen trees on the property, but they ALL fell away from both the lane and the power lines.

And the dam at the pond held once again.

Edited by Camino LS6