Sandy

Camino LS6

Well, that was fun.

Survived Hurricane Sandy in Brigantine (island north of Atlantic City). Yeah, I'm one of those "stupid" people who stuck around... but keep in mind, I was very prepped, know my topology and have done it before.

House and car both dodged storm surge by about 2 ft.

Worse NJ storm ever... worse than Gloria... 1962 Nor'easter... and worse than 1944. Probably about as nasty as a NJ hurricane can possibly get..

New Jersey and New York looked insane amidst and after.

Philly and Delaware got it, but not as bad as expected because it went north.

I was out of work for day #2 because our dealership's electricity was not functioning. Unexpected 3 day weekend, mostly consisting of work at home. End of month car sales in the Northeast will definitely be taking a hit, as most of us in this area are not open until tomorrow. Well, as long as we have power.

Back. Power went out here 7:30 yesterday eve, just back on in the last hour. Thank you PSE&G workers.

Jersey indeed is a mess. Borrowed a generator from a buddy, but no gas.

On a tip this afternoon, I drove 30 mins north, until I saw lights again, then waited 45 mins in (dual) lines to get to working pumps.

Was what the '73 embargo musta been like.

No damage here other than a few shingle tabs blew off. Minor branches, no shop damage, and with maybe between 2-3 inches of rain, no issues with the sump pump being off. However, plenty of damage in the area- saw 5 telephone pole snapped off in 2 batches. Lights on US Rt 1 still out by me.

Going to try and make some money chainsawing the rest of this week.

Well wishes to all in the path of this bitch.

Samadei: Really glad you escaped being flooded, but that's too damn close of a call!

Good to hear things are ok w/ you, SAmadei...I've heard there was a lot of damage on Brigantine.

Thanks, guys. Brigantine had a rough time, but I honestly think LBI and Absecon Island (AC and others) got worse. Keep in mind, though, I was only able to wander 2~3 blocks from home to survey local damage (still ft+ water in streets) and talked to the authorities about it, and the consensus was that the north end was hit worse. I might get an eyeful tomorrow.

It was close, as the penultimate high tide was too close for comfort... I was forecasting a second surge 5+6 ft higher, which would have flooded the house. Bottom line: I have one of the biggest beach/dune combos in NJ in front of the house, I have taller neighbors that act as windbreaks, I'm close to the highest ground. I would do it again. But not if I lived in LBI, Ocean City, Outer Banks, Florida, etc.

Been thinking of everyone in the east. Thoughts/prayers to all those affected, of course.....

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics

CHD.cars + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Why are we so blind to see that the ones we hurt are you & me" __ Coolio __ 'Gangsta's Paradise (Dangerous Minds)'

Just checking in, power is still down in part of my house, kitchen, bathroom, dinning room all out. The bedrooms and living room had power through the whole storm. As I said earlier some weird wiring in this house, but at least the storm past sooner than we all expected, by late last night the brunt of it was over already here. Glad to see everyone made it out of this without any major problems. It seems these bad storms are happening all the time lately, I don't remember it being like this when I was a kid ( grew up in the 80's, 90's ). Though maybe I just didn't pay attention back then.

Edited by Delta Force79

I'm back.

Lost power right after my last post, and just now got it back.

My house is quite chilly...

Damage much less than expected, and all of the trees that fell right here managed to fall in the right direction for once.

Still raining with a gust now and then, and very chilly, but could be so much worse.

So after chopping it up and getting a year of drying out, next winters fire wood? :P

Back. Power went out here 7:30 yesterday eve, just back on in the last hour. Thank you PSE&G workers.

Jersey indeed is a mess. Borrowed a generator from a buddy, but no gas.

On a tip this afternoon, I drove 30 mins north, until I saw lights again, then waited 45 mins in (dual) lines to get to working pumps.

Was what the '73 embargo musta been like.

No damage here other than a few shingle tabs blew off. Minor branches, no shop damage, and with maybe between 2-3 inches of rain, no issues with the sump pump being off. However, plenty of damage in the area- saw 5 telephone pole snapped off in 2 batches. Lights on US Rt 1 still out by me.

Going to try and make some money chainsawing the rest of this week.

Well wishes to all in the path of this bitch.

You must be glad to have done the cement work on the shop, not only warmer, but probably kept the rodents out who might have gone looking for warm safe dry place to live.

Glad to hear you are OK as with everyone.

Hope you can make some good money on the clean up work that is needed.

Just checking in, power is still down in part of my house, kitchen, bathroom, dinning room all out. The bedrooms and living room had power through the whole storm. As I said earlier some weird wiring in this house, but at least the storm past sooner than we all expected, by late last night the brunt of it was over already here. Glad to see everyone made it out of this without any major problems. It seems these bad storms are happening all the time lately, I don't remember it being like this when I was a kid ( grew up in the 80's, 90's ). Though maybe I just didn't pay attention back then.

Probably due to the Climate change and the reduction in the northern polar ice pack and increase in the southern polar ice pack. Southern hemisphere is reporting milder winters and falls than they had in the 80's to 90's. Makes one wonder if the planet is just swapping storms in a normal cycle of climate adjustment. :)

So in otherwords, you can expect these storms through 2020 before it goes back south unless you like Climate change than it is here for good till we have a total IceAge happen. :P

No power since Monday at 4PM. What's left of my food is now sitting in the garage as the temps are colder there than in the fridge. Slept last night 6" away from my gas fireplace with 5 layers of clothing on and 2 knit blankets. My sister who lives 5min away has her power back, so I have a place to go if this drags on too much longer. As far as damage goes, I lost only a piece of aluminum fascia from the garage.

There's a gas station at the end of my street. All day yesterday & today, cars creeping forward to get gas.

Hand in hand with that is flared tempers & rampant stupidity, like the honda minivan that decided pulling 2 feet into the grass to execute a K-turn was a good idea. I offered the 2500HD, but the grandson came out with a Jeep and eventually (after stalling out about 3 times), yanked the porker back onto the street.

Unless you need fuel for generators, I don't get this for cars.

Wonder if some are only putting $10 in.

You can Thank Sandy for lower gas prices with all those people not using it. Course I would be worried right now about all the contamination in the underground gas tanks. I would rather have a diesel right now to burn it than a gas car. Someone is going to make a freakin fortune.

Sucks to be a person who gets stuck with a water logged car that has supposedly been dried out. I saw the picture of those hundreds of yellow taxis flooded and all the oil/gas slick on the water around them.

WOW, Guess it is time to replace them all with new Ford Transit CNG taxis :P

More Frackin coming up. :D

Hey all, checking in here in NY. I live in Astoria Queens and work in midtown Manhattan. Amazingly I made it through with power, cable and internet (fortunately I’m about 40 ft above see level.) Heading into the storm I cancelled my bi-weekly food delivery from fresh direct the weekend before in case I lost power and stocked up with only 2 days of perishables and a bunch of non perishable food and water and batteries that were thankfully not needed. The devastation in some areas on NY is amazing as well as NJ with parts of CT not far behind.

Breezy Point Queens is just devastated with over 100 homes burned to the ground. Lower Manhattan is still a swamp and gas is scarce. I have several friends who have extreme water damage to their homes and I know a few people who's houses were destroyed. The numbers total over 50 people dead 50+ BILLION in damages (not sure if this figure is just NY or all areas affected by the storm) and a projected 500,000 to 1,000,000 vehicles destroyed.

In NY people are fighting back and persevering, carpooling with neighbors or co workers since mass transit is still a mess, helping people charge their mobile devices, taking in friends and neighbors who don't have power etc. People aren't taking advantage of the situation and are still making it to work if at all possible. I walked 7 miles each way to work over the 59th street Bridge yesterday. The subway system which had unprecedented salt water flooding and was estimate to initially take 4-5 days minimum for a partial restoration has already resumed limited service days early (much credit goes to the MTA for their preparedness and having the foresight to close all mass transit the night before the storm to shelter all subway cars on high ground.) Power restoration for the million plus who don’t have power is well ahead of schedule and in general, as was the case post 9/11, 2003, etc, the gruff, pissed off, indifferent people of NYC pulled together to make the best of a crappy situation. All things considered if feel we weathered the storm better then anyone could hope for and it’s times like this that I am proud to be a New Yorker.

• Agree 4

Hey all, checking in here in NY. I live in Astoria Queens and work in midtown Manhattan. Amazingly I made it through with power, cable and internet (fortunately I’m about 40 ft above see level.) Heading into the storm I cancelled my bi-weekly food delivery from fresh direct the weekend before in case I lost power and stocked up with only 2 days of perishables and a bunch of non perishable food and water and batteries that were thankfully not needed. The devastation in some areas on NY is amazing as well as NJ with parts of CT not far behind.

Breezy Point Queens is just devastated with over 100 homes burned to the ground. Lower Manhattan is still a swamp and gas is scarce. I have several friends who have extreme water damage to their homes and I know a few people who's houses were destroyed. The numbers total over 50 people dead 50+ BILLION in damages (not sure if this figure is just NY or all areas affected by the storm) and a projected 500,000 to 1,000,000 vehicles destroyed.

In NY people are fighting back and persevering, carpooling with neighbors or co workers since mass transit is still a mess, helping people charge their mobile devices, taking in friends and neighbors who don't have power etc. People aren't taking advantage of the situation and are still making it to work if at all possible. I walked 7 miles each way to work over the 59th street Bridge yesterday. The subway system which had unprecedented salt water flooding and was estimate to initially take 4-5 days minimum for a partial restoration has already resumed limited service days early (much credit goes to the MTA for their preparedness and having the foresight to close all mass transit the night before the storm to shelter all subway cars on high ground.) Power restoration for the million plus who don’t have power is well ahead of schedule and in general, as was the case post 9/11, 2003, etc, the gruff, pissed off, indifferent people of NYC pulled together to make the best of a crappy situation. All things considered if feel we weathered the storm better then anyone could hope for and it’s times like this that I am proud to be a New Yorker.

Glad you made it through safe and sound.

• 2 weeks later...