NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Preview of 1991 Chevrolet Caprice at 1990 Detroit show

That was totally cool, too bad like olds said, it is not complete.

I remember seeing it for the first time at the 1990 Baltimore Auto Show, I stared at it for the longest time. I told the spokesdude I thought it was the best looking car at the show, with its combination of future and retro looks, it bowled me over at first glance. It was a white Classic model they had on the floor, with a trunk full to the top with brochures for the show, which brought the ride height down a good bit, which made it look even better in my eyes at the time.

Later when they opened up the rear wheelwells, it was clear it was a rush job for not much money, because the wheel was not centered in the opening, it did not look right. Messing with the dogleg area would have meant changing some inner structure and the rear door opening, I guess, which lead to a slightly awkward solution.

Opening the rear wheel well was always a mistake on these.

Agreed. That's why I favor the '91-'92 models over the '93-'96 ones (except for the '94-'96 Impala SS). I still keep my eye on a '92 Caprice Classic sedan that is elderly owned in my town (waiting for the "For Sale" sign!).

I much prefer the 94-96 versions with the opened up wheel well and dog leg rear window. A fender skirt never looked right on this car in my eyes. That and the much improved 4.3/5.7 engines, upgraded firmer suspension, better dash design with more gauges instead of the older sweep speedo and the pleasant upgraded deluxe seat design that was std across the board.

I much prefer the 94-96 versions with the opened up wheel well and dog leg rear window. A fender skirt never looked right on this car in my eyes. That and the much improved 4.3/5.7 engines, upgraded firmer suspension, better dash design with more gauges instead of the older sweep speedo and the pleasant upgraded deluxe seat design that was std across the board.

If I could have all of the engine and interior improvments of the '96 with the body shell of a '91, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.... of... america...

Did the later ones widen the track? One thing I remember noticing when these came out was how oddly the wheels looked recessed under the wider body.. I didn't like the huge, minivan like windshield and deep dash compared to the boxy, upright '77-90 models.. still like the proportions of the older Caprices. An '86 (last year before the ugly composite headlights) w/ the '96 LT1 and updated suspension, brakes, etc would be very cool, IMO.

I think the rear track was widened when the wheelwells were opened up, IIRC.

It was a pretty radical design for GM at the time, like they were trying to one-up the revolutionary Ford Taurus. The press made plenty of comments of the vehicle appearing whale-like at the rear, which I kind of agreed with. It died way too soon, sacrificed for more full-size SUV production capacity. As was GM's custom, the death knell came just as the Impala SS was perfected.

I totally agree, bobo. Full analog gauges, bucket seats with floor shift console... BOOM... dead as a doornail.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook