(No Longer) Conflicted

As most of you know, I'm preparing to put my '95 two-door Tahoe up for sale. I've been steadily knocking little nitpicky things about it off of my list. Today I ordered some clips to properly re-mount the door panels I've had off, and also priced out the parts to make the door hinges right again.

I've already rebuilt the top end of the engine, replace the radiator, the front calipers, the power steering pump, and lots of other stuff.

In addition, I located and installed new GM front seats, and a stock stereo system that had been on a shelf since nearly new.

The exhaust system is new from front to back (including the Cat, O2 sensor, and exhaust manifold gaskets.

I've replaced the shot speakers in the stereo.

The HVAC controls are new.

The fan motor is new.

I've replace the universal joints, window switches, and the metal coolant line as well as the high pressure power steering line, and the serpentine belt.

After all of that has been said, I have to consider the growing list of things my '98 Tahoe 2-door needs. Though it is in great shape overall, the truck has a bunch of irritating problems that I need to address.

- The ignition is flaky and jams often

- The window switch quits intermittently

- The wiper motor quits intermittently

- And the big one is the tailgate hinge rust that caused it to pull away from the body

Next tuesday, I have an appointment to have the plow frame installed on the '98. Once that is done, I am committed to selling the '95.

Even though the '95 has just turned 204k miles, and the '98 sits at only 98k, I am starting to second-guess my plans. I didn't think it a good idea to burden the '95 with all those miles by putting a plow on it. However, I've been through that truck in a way that I've yet to start with the '98.

Then, thanks to another thread here, I've discovered just how high the prices of these two-doors are running on autotrader.com . Looking through those listings really staggered me.

So now I'm really questioning just what I should do with these two beasts.

"The ignition is flaky and jams often

- The window switch quits intermittently

- The wiper motor quits intermittently"

These three should be really easy repairs though leaving only the tailgate as the tough nut to crack.

Just so.

But the point is that I haven't "been through" the '98 like I have the '95.

It's giving me fits.

Also, I need to determine where the line should be in correcting things on the '95. I want everything to be right, but that may be impractical.

Regardless of what you do with the '98, the tailgate repair has to happen. If you're going to keep it you don't want further damage, and if you want to flip it you'll get maximum value if it's fixed.

The '98 has a little more power with the Vortec 5.7, so it might be the better motor for plow duty. It'll also be more attractive to buyers.

The high mileage on the '95 shouldn't be too much of a deterrent since 1) you've been through the engine and 2) you have a perfectly fine backup engine sitting in the Mothertruck. If need be you can swap that engine into the '95 and give the Mothertruck the engine it truly deserves:

l.jpg

I would be concerned about the transmissions on both trucks. As long as the fluid is red and doesn't smell burned, they should be OK, but I'd definitely install an auxiliary tranny cooler before subjecting weither to plow duty.

God, that green Tahoe is a beauty, and it has been lovingly and correctly updated and maintained by its current owner. I would sell that red Tahoe in a New York minute with only a band-aid fix on the tailgate hinge and full disclosure on the rest of the known issues. Add a transmission cooler to green, as z suggests, and ready it for plow duty. It is a sound vehicle made so by YOU... if you go through with attaching the plow to the red truck and then continue to have problems... up to and including crippling mechanical failure that puts it out of commission, you will be kicking yourself. And you don't deserve any more bad luck.

Keep green, put the plow on it and sell red.

The first thing I would do is go through the red Tahoe with a fine toothed comb to see what needs to be fixed right away and what looks like it's on it's way out.

Then I would think about what I want long term. If I wanted a plow truck I could use year after year, I'd stick the plow on the red Tahoe and sell the green one for whatever it's worth.

If I wanted an actual pickup for work and a Tahoe as a toy, I'd fix what's ailing the red Tahoe, sell it and use the funds either towards buying what I really wanted or finishing up another project.

My '04 had zero body rust and it's been in central Jersey all it's 109K life.

That is great Balthazar. I have respect for people who take care of their Auto's. My year and 1/2 I lived in NJ I found most people did not take care of anything let along could even figure out how to park in a freakin parking lot.

I know if you do the under carrage body wash often during the winter you can keep most of the brine from rusting out the auto. Sad that most seem to not really care and just drive the auto's.

Oh, I don't have time to take care of it cosmetically - I've never washed the undercarriage of any of my vehicles, nor clear drain holes, whathaveyou.

There is some surface rust on the mechanicals (suspension, here & there... actually, I want to put it up on the lift and get under there for the first time soon), but GM does build a very well protected machine AFA this all goes.

Feel free to retract your respect. ;)

Decision made.

It's going to be Red.

The deciding factors were two, the obvious power difference and the firmer suspension won the day.

Red really is better set-up for plowing.

But I am really going to miss Green - I'm nearly done with my "punchlist", and the constant improvement makes selling it harder.

Plow is installed and looks great - won't be wired up until the 26th, but I'm almost there.

They did a nice job, painted the bare spots on the plow frame, and even washed the Tahoe!

Best of all, it looks like the tailgate repair won't be quite as much as I feared.

They even charged me less than quoted on the install.

Not too shabby.