Sign in to follow this  
intrigued

updated Fiesta

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/26/ford-expanding-fiesta-line-with-high-po-st-frugal-1-0l-ecoboost/#continued

We've known these have been coming but it's nice to get more details. The 1.6 ecoboost has been jacked up a a bit and looks to be making pretty impresive power while returning very good milage for a performance variant. I'm very interested to know if the 1.0 ecoboost will totally replace the 1.6 NA base engine or if it will be an extra option and if so how much it will cost?

I like the current fiesta but the Sonic is clearly a step ahead of it in my mind. On paper at least this looks like the Fiesta will leapfrog ahead.

If you haven't driven either, the Sonic and Fiesta look equal to be true equals, but even a short drive behind the wheels of both will tell you that they aren't. The Sonic is a substantially more solid feeling and driving car. The Fiesta may have a leg up on powertrain at the moment, but without a total platform change, I remain severely unconvinced that it will leapfrog the Sonic.

I don't know, the Sonic dash is sort of gimmicky compared to the current Fiesta. The Fiesta is smaller inside, shirley, but if you're portable like me, that won't make much of a difference. I don't think it's a complete blow-out between the two... and Ford is currently discounting the Fiesta, putting a decent SE within a couple hundred bucks of a smaller Chevy Spark 2LT, and $1-1.5k less than a Sonic LT, which has no discounts.

The Ford is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the Chevy, and the 1.8 in the Chevy doesn't have much more power than the 1.6 in the Ford. The 1.4T is a $700 option to get better fuel mileage.

I know the Ford 1.6 gets better mileage than the EPA estimates. It's no Hyundai gas guzzler, that's for sure.

From the article: "The 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine in the Fiesta expands Ford's power of choice strategy by giving customers interested in a very fuel-efficient car a new alternative."

I take that to mean the 1.0 will be an optional engine, perhaps the 1.6 will carry over as base. Article also states Ecoboost cost about $995 in other Ford lines, a hint perhaps at the optional cost of the 1.0.

Edited by ocnblu

The interior and exterior styling is, of course, subjective. I'm speaking strictly of how solid the cars feel driving. In those terms, I'd put the Fiesta much closer to the Spark in feel, while the Sonic feels a lot like a cut down Cruze yet retains that strong bone structure.

Long and short, you feel like you're getting more car with the Sonic.

Ford Fiesta: full of character, fun to drive, economical, nice features, light on its feet... what's not to love? It's a classy little machine.

the 014 interior updates on the fiesta are quite nice. But for me, the 1.4 available on the sonic FTW. Either is nice.

Fiesta though, one time i had a customer who i had to demo a new sx4 sportback and new fiesta side by side and dang if she didn't like the sx4 more. If the fiesta can't even impress in that head on comparo.....

as an aside to that i was crammed in the back of a fiesta for quite awhile but thought even if it was tight it wasn't really uncomfortable.

I think the sonic has a size advantage too.

Sort of like the crispness of the Sonic styling as opposed to all of the ford's jellybean style lately.

Sonic needs to ditch the headlight and grille and do something else...already tired IMO......

Edited by regfootball

I say this and I have not driven a Chevrolet Sonic. I just think the Fiesta is cool and the improvements add up nicely. The interior on the Ford seems nicer, more mature, more upscale, not as gimmicky as Sonic (as long as MyFordTouch is an option and not mandatory). I am not a fan of anyone's infotainment or interactive system, Ford, GM, who ever. I prefer the ability to play CDs, GM is doing away with the CD slot. There is not much silver painted plastic in the Ford... and the '14 Fiesta's seats are really nice looking. I have no problem with VW or M-B or BMW's leatherette, GM's version seems cheap (admittedly this is only from pressing nose to glass, not ass to seat, as I've only sat in a Sonic with cloth, and an RS with leather, never an LTZ with leatherette, although I did sit in an Aveo with leatherette once, and it was a chintzy disaster).

The Sonic RS interior is the nicest in the Chevy, as it should be, with the piano black trim on the dash instead of silver painted plastic. The instrument cluster is a sticking point in the Chevy. All the info is there, but the motorcycle-inspired cluster is goofy, imo.

Edited by ocnblu

In reading some Ford Media releases, it seems that this 1.0L EB engine has won the DeWar Trophy, among a host of other engineering awards. And I think I'm going to go with an SE Sport hatch, which comes with 16" rims and who knows what else. Cannot wait to get the full skinny on this little go-getter. Now I'm excited. :)

International Engine Of The Year

Breakthrough Award from Popular Mechanics

16 Land Speed Records

Edited by ocnblu

According to Ford, Fiesta ST has a better power-to-weight ratio than its big bro, Focus ST. And the head of development of both cars at Ford says he likes the Fiesta better... nimbler, more fun to drive, light in its feet...

I'm pretty hungry for info on these little bruisers.

Edited by ocnblu

Not a fan of Ford's current styling direction (big bass open mount front end design), and having driven the Sonic LTZ hatch with the 1.4L Turbo, I will tell you the Sonic has my vote. It felt like a go-cart on the streets of Philadelphia (was able to test drive it courtesy GM's test drive offer at the Philadelphia Auto Show) and yet was comfortable to drive (unlike the Spark 1LT I drove which I felt too tight inside (5'9", 255lbs). Wife was a fan of the Spark, I was a fan of the Sonic (strangely, the host of the test drive said unofficially that's what she's heard from many husbands and wives over the weekend!).

Here's the Sonic I drive, loved the color too!

post-418-0-35827800-1361129187_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-84333800-1361129193_thumb.jpg

post-418-0-57747200-1361129197_thumb.jpg

Whoa, GMTG photobombing my Fiesta thread with Sonic pics... that's a nice looking LTZ!

2014 Fiesta Build&Price is finally up today! Here's mine:

2014 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback 5 speed manual

Performance Blue/Black with silver stitching

SE Sport package (a list of goodies to spruce it up)

Moonroof

Interior protection package

MSRP: $18,785

This is with the 1.6L engine, apparently the 1.0EB will be out many moons from now. I'm thinking you know what... it might not be worth the $995, especially with reports of no extra fuel mileage with the turbo.

Here's the link, if anyone's game: http://bp3.ford.com/2014-Ford-Fiesta?branding=1&lang=en#/Style/

Edited by ocnblu

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook