Chevrolet News:Deep Dive: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

December 13, 2012

It has been close to seven years since General Motors introduced a new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra truck. It that time, GM has been to hell and back with bankruptcy, The bankruptcy brought with it delays to key products, most notably the trucks and SUVs. The competition during that time has moved the full-size truck yardstick by a mile with Ford's engine lineup in the F-Series and Ram introducing a wealth of fuel economy tricks and clever storage places.

GM has dropped the curtain on the new Silverado and Sierra today at an event in Detroit, bringing some much needed updates and changes to the trucks. Is it enough?

GM decided to go the safe and conservative route with the exterior design of the new trucks. Both models feature a number of enhancements to reduce drag and wind noise, flared-out front and rear fenders, front-hinged rear doors on the extended-cab models, and the choice of either a five-foot, eight-inch bed or a six-foot, six-inch bed.

The front ends of the two models are very much differentiated from the previous models. The Silverado's front end features a similar grille treatment as the current HD model and vertical headlights. Projector headlights are standard on the Silverado LTZ. The Sierra's front end takes some cues from the All-Terrain Concept with a large, square grille surround and unique set of headlights that on higher-end models feature LEDs.

Stepping inside, GM has made some drastic changes. Gone is the two dash layout from the current models and in its place is a very worktruck dash with a touchscreen infotainment featuring GM's MyLink/Intellilink. The dash features soft-touch or leather materials and real aluminum trim throughout. Its a nice place sit when compared to the current models, though I do wonder if the new Denali and 'High Country' (Silverado Luxury model) will have a different dash layout.

The engine lineup will include a choice of either a 4.3L V6, 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V8 wearing the EcoTec moniker. All three engines will feature direct-injection, variable cam timing, and cylinder deactivation. GM didn't reveal any performance and fuel economy figures. The sole transmission will be a six-speed automatic. We're hearing an eight-speed will coming sometime later.

Underneath the skin, the suspension is made up of coil springs and struts in front with leaf springs in the rear. Steering comes in the form an electric power system. Other changes include new Duralife brakes which promise longer life and Auto Grade Braking which uses the engine and transmission to slow down the truck on a grade.

The new Silverado and Sierra brings GM to the point where the current F-Series and Ram pickups are. But there isn't that one killer feature that puts it ahead of the competition. Maybe they're hiding that feature that will revealed at a later time.

2014 Chevrolet Silverado Gallery

2014 GMC Sierra Gallery

2014 Chevrolet Silverado Video

2014 GMC Sierra Video

2014 GMC Sierra and 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Release Video

Authors Note: Cheers & Gears wants to thank General Motors for inviting us to check out the new Silverado and Sierra.

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

i saw this "The engine lineup will include a choice of either a 4.3L V6, 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V6 all wearing the EcoTec moniker. All of the engines will come with direct-injection, variable cam timing, and cylinder deactivation." and i said, to noone,... "uhhh, what?" lol

I am kind of disappointed with the comments that the new trucks didn't go far enough. Significanttly updated frame, all new sheetmetal, all new engines, all new interior. The six speed is the only significant carryover item and that will be remedied in due time. I'd consider it all new - especially in light of how Honda defines all-new these days. Design wise, what were you expecting? There's nothing remotely similar between the GMT900s and these - save for maybe the greenhouse Dim the lights on both, and the silhouettes might be similar, but to me they're not even close. Gone are the slab sides of the 900s, replaced by much more chiseled body lines and crisper detailing. There's a ton of GM truck heritage present if you look hard enough.

Fun fact: Ford's been running the same bodystyle since 2004 - save for the more obnoxious grille added in '09. Furthermore, the Super Duties bodystyle dates back to 1999. It's not hurting sales one bit. Stylewise, GM went further with these trucks than Ford did with the F-series and Dodge did with the Ram (02-07 vs 08-up). It's not the sheetmetal that sells; it's the capabilities that matter and GM seldom screws up in that regard.

I'm quite curious about the 4.3 V6. Obviously everyone shuddered when they saw that displacement, but it's seeing its first major update since 1995. I'd be very surprised it it had less than 300hp after inheriting all the enhancements from the new V8s. I expect at least one engine to best the 18/24 fuel economy rating on my Colorado.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Well Z, I'd say that the criticism largely rests on the styling. As you correctly point out, capability is far more important (with trucks especially). However, these new trucks aren't much of a departure from the 900s visually - and the 900s weren't exactly beauty queens. Also, the front hinged rear doors on extended cabs are a backward step in functionality. Then add in the oddball styling of the dash, and you get an overall impression of "meh" - no matter how good the dirty bits might be.

I'm a longtime GM truck guy, and I find myself disappointed so far.

Edited by Camino LS6
  • Agree 2

Z no one is complaining about engine and structural rigidity, capability. What matters is 1. Style and 2. Innovative features. GM has not gone far enough in both of them.

I love the GMT900s. But given GM had almost 3 years post-bankruptcy sans lipstick updates like Ford does on the F150, GM should have performed some solid efforts. The truck lacks those.

Guest Hyperv6

The new improvement deserve a more date wrapper, GM had enough time and money to move the bar higher.

As it is now there is no where near the visiual ex comment this truck should be generating.

The mechanical are important but advancing styling has always sealed the deal with truck.

On first impressions of the pictures, I like it...definitely evolutionary from the current model, with some echoes of past models...I like the base grille, reminds of some '80s grilles.

The greenhouse on the extended cab reminds me a lot of the previous generation Ram.

Not sure about the interior yet...those pods around the vents on the sides seem overwrought. I think I like the current dash designs more...

Also, the front hinged rear doors on extended cabs are a backward step in functionality

This is the one thing I'm POd about. Structural rigidity be damned, loading large things or people into the back of an extended cab is about to become more of a PITA. In fact, now that the entire industry has moved in this direction, in 5-10 years I could see the gradual phasing out of hte extended cab altogether, and that's kind of sad.

I'm slightly underwhelmed, too. Maybe that's due to the fact I pretty much knew exactly what these trucks were going to look like before they rolled out.

But maybe it's due to the fact that, in all honesty, it looks like GM applied Chevrolet and GMC styling cues to a current-generation Ram pickup truck. The forward facing doors on the extended cab models, the way the center stack appears that it has been tucked underneath the upper dashboard, the door frames that GM bragged on this morning during the live reveal ... the Ram was already there in 2009. Don't get me wrong, it's good to benchmark your competition, but this? This is just copying your benchmark and not going leaps above it. This is one major reason why GM wound up in hot water not too long ago.

You can call me pessimistic, but I think these trucks are going to be a sore disappointment for GM in the future, like the Malibu is now. If GM is looking for a truck to topple the F-150, this certainly isn't it.

Edited by black-knight
  • Agree 1

I really am disappointed design wise with these two. I think the evolution seems minimal on first look, the headlights on the Sierra seem overdone (my own personal issue with everyone flocking to LED accents) and there's too much chrome surrounding everything on the Chevy grille. Also, from initial pictures, I'd say adding mylink to the current "uplevel" interior would have been a better design than what's in there now...

On that note, I think the GMC is still quite handsome overall...

As far as the mechanical bits go, I'm looking forward to the rest of the details...hope they really hit the nail on the head in that department.

Edited by PONTIAC06

Here's something else I'm curious about: the base model trucks. I haven't heard anything about the grilles being chrome on the lesser model Silverados and Sierras. Imagine these trucks with just grey plastic plastered up front instead ... ugghhhhhh.

Yeah...I can see now that my local Chevy store will have a line of white ones w/ black and gray front trim...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I am pleased with the bold, yet conservative, professional look of both trucks. There is a distinct lack of bull$h!. You get real, honest functionality here. GM has, in the past, put form over function in some of their truck designs, this is nicely more balanced in the direction of function. While still retaining GM's unique ownership of offering the most customizable, cleanest body in the business.

Another thing: GM really turned me off this morning when they mentioned how the interior won praise in "design clinics." Be still my crawling skin.

Are the new full size SUVs coming for '14 also? Will be interesting to see how they look..wonder if they have their own faces like the current generation...

I'd say it's pretty likely.

Here's something else I'm curious about: the base model trucks. I haven't heard anything about the grilles being chrome on the lesser model Silverados and Sierras. Imagine these trucks with just grey plastic plastered up front instead ... ugghhhhhh.

Yeah...I can see now that my local Chevy store will have a line of white ones w/ black and gray front trim...

Remember the backlash agaisnt the plasticky schnoz on the GMT-900 work trucks a few years ago? Yeah.

Edited by black-knight

Also, the front hinged rear doors on extended cabs are a backward step in functionality

This is the one thing I'm POd about. Structural rigidity be damned, loading large things or people into the back of an extended cab is about to become more of a PITA. In fact, now that the entire industry has moved in this direction, in 5-10 years I could see the gradual phasing out of hte extended cab altogether, and that's kind of sad.

It's very sad. It means that my choices are down to one: a regular cab with 8' bed.

So, I've been trying to wrap my head around this all night. The best way I can describe how I feel goes as follows. I feel like this is akin to the latest Camry redesign. Toyota says its improved in every way, though they really only make minor improvements here and there. Toyota tries to go with a design that seems more modern and edgy, yet it seems to be trying too hard while still mostly looking the same. A new entertainment system could, perhaps, be its further foot forward. At the same time, some would say to not fix what isn't broken. While not broken, I think its safe to say the competition is advancing at a higher rate. This, to me, is the new Silverado.

Granted, there are probably many people out there who probably prefer Chevy to keep their beloved Silverado free of all the new-fangled sissy-boy advancements that Ford and Chrysler are trying. It is, after all, a vehicle that is designed to be used for hauling/towing/etc. Though, how many people simply use it to parade around in as their show of how masculine they are (or desire to be)? It doesn't seem the F-series has slowed down any since adding the Ecoboost engine, either.

This is somewhat based on assumptions, though. Until GM releases figures for its "new" power train line-up, who's to say they didn't make the right choice? I guess we'll find out eventually.

One last thing, I noticed they have abandoned the level of body differentiation that the current models have between them. I was hoping we would see more unique identities between the Silverado and Sierra. Maybe I was being unreasonable...

One last thing, I noticed they have abandoned the level of body differentiation that the current models have between them. I was hoping we would see more unique identities between the Silverado and Sierra. Maybe I was being unreasonable...

Nope...I noticed this too...the last gens had different flares, tail lights, etc. These appear to have gone to basically just fascia differences...sad...

i saw this "The engine lineup will include a choice of either a 4.3L V6, 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V6 all wearing the EcoTec moniker. All of the engines will come with direct-injection, variable cam timing, and cylinder deactivation." and i said, to noone,... "uhhh, what?" lol

WOW a 6.2L v6, that is one freakin big V6. :P

BV: Some of your points are exactly why I want to see what they've done with the HDs so badly. I'm one of those that needs a truck to be a truck, and couldn't care less about the gadgetry. I certainly hope that the option sheet for the HDs is still extensive enough to build what I need without the trendy junk. That doesn't mean I'd want a stripper, just the control that comes with a long option list. When I order a truck, I use that list to optimize the vehicle for my purposes.

EDIT: To explain what I mean in other terms, the trucks I've ordered were all pretty loaded - but without leather, and with the carpet-delete option. I know what works, and hope to still be able to build such a truck.

Edited by Camino LS6

BV: Some of your points are exactly why I want to see what they've done with the HDs so badly. I'm one of those that needs a truck to be a truck, and couldn't care less about the gadgetry. I certainly hope that the option sheet for the HDs is still extensive enough to build what I need without the trendy junk. That doesn't mean I'd want a stripper, just the control that comes with a long option list. When I order a truck, I use that list to optimize the vehicle for my purposes.

EDIT: To explain what I mean in other terms, the trucks I've ordered were all pretty loaded - but without leather, and with the carpet-delete option. I know what works, and hope to still be able to build such a truck.

I expect GM to keep the full option list on the HD's after all bundling too much luxury junk will be a bad move for GM as too many companies need specific spec HD trucks for work.

I understand a lot of the comments made here. Initially, I too felt that GM didn't go as far as I was expecting them to. After a while of looking at pictures, especially the front & rear comparison of the 2013 & 2014 Sierra, I feel GM did a decent job - they just can't let these sit for another 5 years before a MCE/update arrives. My biggest disappointment comes in the headlight design of the Sierra - this is one area I felt they went awry in (the Silverado's looks very similar to the '13 model). The next level of disappointment comes in the fact side-by-side and rear-to-rear comparisons of the Sierra & Silverado will make them look identical - same as with the '88-'98 design. The front-ends are the biggest differentiators here, and I'd venture to say that both GMC and Chevy stylists were in competition to design the winner and GMC won (the Silverado looks like a badge-engineered Sierra this go-round). Though many were not happy with the '07-'13 Silverado body flares, using the same/similar look on the '14 Sierra & Silverado wasn't a great idea.

Camino, all said and done these are still trucks used for work purposes primarily. Though more family hauling use is the goal of the 1500 nowadays, I'm sure you'll still be able to order a truck with certain work-related options. The HD's will be the ones that are going to offer the work-based customer the more selectable options - not many 2500HDs are sold for family hauling duty :P

wow, hardly looks new.

the exterior just doesn't have any new pizazz.

the interior has that same cheap, cosmicky, over the top, cheap 80's plastic handheld game look that all GM products possess to some degree, and in particular the trucks have been guilty of. GM just refuses to do a sensible, tasteful truck interior. The last gen luxury interior was maybe as close as we well ever see.

Don't get me wrong. It is a little bit interesting, that dash design. But it was stretched and pulled to over the top. And I know it's just pictures and a prototype, but it doesn't look like GM is advancing interior truck material quality much if any. They really haven't changed much in their materials for many years.

If there is one fix i hope GM does, is that it fixes the third row leg room problems on the suburban etc, when that comes out.

I really still love the F-150, and the new Rams I like more and more all the time. This new GM truck in no way looks new. Its market arrival will not make a big splash.

edit....i guess i am warming a tiny bit to the sierra's exterior.

Nope...I noticed this too...the last gens had different flares, tail lights, etc. These appear to have gone to basically just fascia differences...sad...

Look at them again. The Chevy and GMC do not share anything in the front end. They also do not share bedside panels or taillights, the taillight cutouts are different, not just the lenses. Now, with the dash, I was thinking maybe this time there'd be more differences, but so far all I see is the GMC has red lighting and Chevy has blue.

So there is at least as much sheetmetal differentiation this time around as in the 900s. Sounds like the GMC will have more features standard than Chevy, too, something that wasn't always the case going up through the trim levels before.

Look at them again. The Chevy and GMC do not share anything in the front end. They also do not share bedside panels or taillights, the taillight cutouts are different, not just the lenses.

Very subtle differences...in side profile photos, the fenders/bed sides look pretty much identical w/ bulges over the wheel openings..I don't see the difference, so I'm sure the general public won't see them either.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The problem remains the bulk of the styling is still similar to what they had and the small changes will be missed.

The truth is while it is not a bad truck many were left disapointed that more change did not come. That is why the GMC is better accepted as it changed more.

The problem remains the bulk of the styling is still similar to what they had and the small changes will be missed.

The truth is while it is not a bad truck many were left disapointed that more change did not come. That is why the GMC is better accepted as it changed more.

The Silverado front end seems more changed relative to the current model than the GMC..the GMC's front change is primarily the lighting. Very subtle differences.

Beyond evolutionary styling, what about the engines and dirty bits...have the new ones gained weight or is their any weight loss?

Look at them again. The Chevy and GMC do not share anything in the front end. They also do not share bedside panels or taillights, the taillight cutouts are different, not just the lenses.

Very subtle differences...in side profile photos, the fenders/bed sides look pretty much identical w/ bulges over the wheel openings..I don't see the difference, so I'm sure the general public won't see them either.

Shoot man, the "general public" cannot see the difference between the current trucks, which share similar differentiation on the outside as the new ones... so you might be right. But the new ones are not a step back whatsoever.

The Silverado front end seems more changed relative to the current model than the GMC..the GMC's front change is primarily the lighting. Very subtle differences.

Beyond evolutionary styling, what about the engines and dirty bits...have the new ones gained weight or is their any weight loss?

According to some the new trucks will lose weight with extensive use of Aluminum and Magnesium.

How much losss has not been stated as many other details about the great many changes under the skin.

Shoot man, the "general public" cannot see the difference between the current trucks, which share similar differentiation on the outside as the new ones... so you might be right. But the new ones are not a step back whatsoever.

I can see the difference between the 900s...they don't even have to be side by side...these ones I am struggling with quite a bit more...

Like I said earlier I do still think the GMC is quite handsome...but I guess I was just expecting too much this go around in the styling/differentiation department...

I agree the new ones are not a step back nor did I ever state so. My commnets are the truck is hadly a step forward.

The present styling was not bad but it was one that took time for many including myself to like. The large fenders do not lend well to standard wheels. Once the 20"s are on they fit the fenders.

Even my non car loving wife made this comment on the family 2009 we have. [Father in laws truck but mine when ever I want it nice to have a truck and not have to pay for it!]

My feeling is only that the truck elsewhere is a good leap forward when the styling was only a shuffle. I just think this relates poorly to the public that this is not a fully new truck. Even a inmate released from Prison gets a new suit.

Again this truck will not fail but do not expect it to make any gains in market share. This is just a missed chance to move from #2 to #1.

Now on the GMC while they did not go far enough with the body the nose like it or not helps tell the story that this is a full new deal and not just the old truck refreshed.

I also hope they have a sport truck with a body color nose or different nose ready. It would be easy to do and there is a market for these. I do not need a full Raptor deal but even a 2 wheel drive sport like they had around 1990 would be nice. Keep it afforable for the guys who like to fix them up.

Edited by hyperv6

A Sport trim package would be a nice addition. And I was hoping Fairway/Mineral Green would have made the leap to the new trucks. I see Stealth Gray/Blue Granite is still on the colour palette for the GMC, at least, I'm kind of sick of it, even though my '07 Sierra was that colour. LOVE the blue on the Silverado. Intrigued to see the honey brown in photos and in real life. It looks good in CGI at the Sierra website.

It borders on treason that we have not seen photos of a regular cab shortbed yet... and I want to see the interior in different colours other than the black.

EDIT: hyper, if you want to see a monochrome treatment, you can just check out photos of the Sierra All-Terrain.

Edited by ocnblu

Good point.

The variants could make all the difference.

I don't know but just call this a hunch?

With the Colorado being so large could GM and Ford with the Ranger possibly be looking to make a smaller half ton and then leave the rest of the line rated higher weight classes to avoid future CAFE issue. The heavier trucks are less restricted on MPG vs the half ton.

I just expect the market to change in the next ten years from what we have now. The way trucks are built and sold will change and companies will look for every look hole to exploit. Selling enough Sonic's and Sparks would be difficult to balance out the number of trucks a company needs for an average.

It will be interesting to see how Gm markets the near full size truck. They have to have some plan in place and I just can't see Ford not bringing the Ranger back at some point.

A Sport trim package would be a nice addition. And I was hoping Fairway/Mineral Green would have made the leap to the new trucks. I see Stealth Gray/Blue Granite is still on the colour palette for the GMC, at least, I'm kind of sick of it, even though my '07 Sierra was that colour. LOVE the blue on the Silverado. Intrigued to see the honey brown in photos and in real life. It looks good in CGI at the Sierra website.

It borders on treason that we have not seen photos of a regular cab shortbed yet... and I want to see the interior in different colours other than the black.

EDIT: hyper, if you want to see a monochrome treatment, you can just check out photos of the Sierra All-Terrain

I have always been more a mono chrome guy and that is why I have liked GMC more over the years with the restrained chome.

Even back in the late 70's even with chome we had a Serria Grande that was silver and maroon just like the one on Rockford Files. I loved that truck as it had a more restrained grill vs the Chevy. That was the truck I learned to plow in.

It is sad but the standard cab and short bed is a hard sell today. I love this combo. But most buyers today if they are buying a standard cab only buy the full bed. Those with the short bed normally are using them like a car and want the extra cab space more then a bed anyways.

I wish they would make a pick up like the Avalance in a extended cab but the bed would open into the cab like the Avalanche. I think this would be a great option for the smaller trucks like the Colorado that suffer beds too short to carry much. As much as I loved my old Sonoma extended cab the bed sucked vs my S10 long bed.