Sign in to follow this  
dfelt

Ford's Leaky Pension should have people Nervous!

Forbes has released a story that touches many people in that it brings to light the pension short fall that is affecting Ford.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2013/01/31/fords-leaky-pension-boat/

To quote the story: "Last year, Ford contributed $3.4 billion to the plan, yet the shortfall grew to $18.7 billion, up from $15.4 billion. It’s planning to contribute another $5 billion this year."

The story goes on to talk about how the top 100 companies in this country have a shortfall of $417 Billion due to the pension funds and most if not all are looking for ways to get out of having to deal with it. GM was able due to their bankruptcy and moving the pension over to Prudential Insurance turn it into a yearly basic payment of 2.6 Billion to purchase the Annuity plan to cover and manage pensions, far less than the estimated 3.5-4 Billion and far less than a company has to pay when owning and running the pension plan. This allowed GM to get out of a 25 Billion amount due to the pension plan.

With Half a trillion dollars due to pension plans to cover peoples retirement, one must ask what will happen to the US economy if these companies default like Airplane companes have done and leave it to the GOV?

Can this country afford these pension plans?

The politicians using the funds in Social Security to fund Defense and other pet projects, just what is the future for Retirement in America?

How safe is it really to continue to pay into Social Security when the Politicians continue to spend with no let up and for companies to offer pension plans that they do not properly fund?

Are we looking at two time bombs that are going to explode and destroy America?

Sounds Off!

Unfortunately, the answer is yes. Ever since Studebaker died and left its workers with no pension in 1963, this has been a growing problem. The long-term correct answer is simple (and very painful for those who expected to work 30 years and are on pension now): save for your own retirement and once retired, move to someplace cheap to live. Despite some problems, Mexico is still a cheap place to live. I personally doubt that any corporate pension will survive to 2025 or so because there are simply too many old people and not enough young workers to make up the gaps. The federal government and the states' pensions also face the exact same problems. As for those currently retired, I have no answer for them.

Watch....they'll simply stop paying them. Sounds crazy? Yep, but when you think about it, who is going to stop them? Wall Street? The government?

Please.....

i lost any retirement i had built up in the last 4 years. have no confidence i will ever have any. 40% of Americans hit retirement with nothing.

Here is a big problem. Our population does not replenish with enough numbers, and they cannot produce enough to make up for all those coming due on retirement.

I think really it's a pipe dream or it will be for people to have any amassed wealth at retirement. I think also one trip to the nursing home and its wiped out anyways.

It's just reality that like 50% of our population will have to survive only on social security. I think a lot of folks will get screwed out of their pensions somehow.

What is needed in this country is sensible employment opportunities for retired folks. We need to lose this only young employees model and try somehow to fit in experienced older people with skills and want to do part time work.

My mom is finally retiring at 70 this year. that's too freaking long to wait to retire. And she is deathly afraid of the costs of being a retired senior.

Edited by regfootball

Sadly to many companies are willing to throw away senior experiance for a young programable bot who will not challange them and work faster since the seniors do slow down.

This sad fact of employeement shows the lack companies have in the benefits of experiance. Not all seniors work out well, but there are many who are still willing to put in a hard days work.

I also see nothing wrong with working till 70. Retirement is not about sitting around watching TV and waiting for death, but the abitlity to not have to worry about an income and to work on things you have a passion for or to help others. What ever that drives you to still enjoy getting up every day and going and making a difference in the world.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Raj Nair, Ford’s President of North America has left the company effective immediately after an internal investigation revealed behavior that was "inconsistent with the company's code of conduct."
      “We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration. Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values,” said Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett in a statement.
      The Detroit News reports the investigation stemmed from an anonymous complaint accusing Nair of unspecified behavior. Ford wouldn't go into detail about the behavior "to protect the privacy of those involved."
      “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future,” said Nair in a statement.  
      Nair had been Ford's North American president since last May. Before that, Nair was Ford's chief technical officer. The company said a replacement would be announced in the near future.
      This is the latest black eye to hit Ford. Back in August, the company agreed to pay $10.125 million to settle an investigation into race and sexual harassment at two of their plants by U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). In December, the New York Times published a scathing report talking about the culture of harassment at the two Chicago plants that had been going on for a number of years.
      “This comes at a particularly bad time for Ford, which only last spring ousted Mark Fields as CEO. Investors and analysts have been unhappy with the seeming lack of a clear direction for Ford, especially in terms of future mobility services," said Michelle Krebs, an analyst with Auto Trader in an email to the Detroit News.
      "The pressure is on Jim Hackett, anointed CEO last spring, to lay out a clear road ahead for Ford.”
      We'll keep you posted on any new developments come to light.
      Source: Ford, The Detroit News, Reuters
      Press Release is on Page 2
      Raj Nair, Ford’s President Of North America, Exits Company
      DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 21, 2018 – Ford Motor Company today announced that Raj Nair, executive vice president and president, North America, is departing from Ford effective immediately.
      The decision follows a recent internal investigation into reports of inappropriate behavior. The review determined certain behavior by Nair was inconsistent with the company’s code of conduct.
      “We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration,” said Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett. “Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values.”
      Said Nair: “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future.”
      Nair has been president of Ford North America since June 1, 2017.  Prior to that, he served as Ford’s head of global product development and chief technical officer.
      Nair’s replacement will be subject to an announcement in the near future. 

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Raj Nair, Ford’s President of North America has left the company effective immediately after an internal investigation revealed behavior that was "inconsistent with the company's code of conduct."
      “We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration. Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values,” said Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett in a statement.
      The Detroit News reports the investigation stemmed from an anonymous complaint accusing Nair of unspecified behavior. Ford wouldn't go into detail about the behavior "to protect the privacy of those involved."
      “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future,” said Nair in a statement.  
      Nair had been Ford's North American president since last May. Before that, Nair was Ford's chief technical officer. The company said a replacement would be announced in the near future.
      This is the latest black eye to hit Ford. Back in August, the company agreed to pay $10.125 million to settle an investigation into race and sexual harassment at two of their plants by U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). In December, the New York Times published a scathing report talking about the culture of harassment at the two Chicago plants that had been going on for a number of years.
      “This comes at a particularly bad time for Ford, which only last spring ousted Mark Fields as CEO. Investors and analysts have been unhappy with the seeming lack of a clear direction for Ford, especially in terms of future mobility services," said Michelle Krebs, an analyst with Auto Trader in an email to the Detroit News.
      "The pressure is on Jim Hackett, anointed CEO last spring, to lay out a clear road ahead for Ford.”
      We'll keep you posted on any new developments come to light.
      Source: Ford, The Detroit News, Reuters
      Raj Nair, Ford’s President Of North America, Exits Company
      DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 21, 2018 – Ford Motor Company today announced that Raj Nair, executive vice president and president, North America, is departing from Ford effective immediately.
      The decision follows a recent internal investigation into reports of inappropriate behavior. The review determined certain behavior by Nair was inconsistent with the company’s code of conduct.
      “We made this decision after a thorough review and careful consideration,” said Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett. “Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values.”
      Said Nair: “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the Company and I have always espoused. I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future.”
      Nair has been president of Ford North America since June 1, 2017.  Prior to that, he served as Ford’s head of global product development and chief technical officer.
      Nair’s replacement will be subject to an announcement in the near future. 
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Ford unveiled the Raptor Ranger. The bad news as we reported was the model wasn't going to come here, but a tweet from Ford's North America Product Communications manager gave some hope that possibly, a smaller Raptor could come.
      More fuel has been added to this fire via some comments made by the chief engineer for Ford Performance, Jamal Hameedi. Speaking with Australian outlet Drive, Hameedi said the truck "would do really well in the states."
      “I think it’s certainly like it’s a baby Raptor, it depends what you’re looking for. There are a lot of people that just want that size in a pickup truck and they don’t want anything larger,” said Hameedi. 
      Hameedi went on to say that the diesel engine found in the Ranger Raptor would likely be swapped for a gas engine.
      “I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world.”
      We think a version of Ford's 2.3 EcoBoost could be the engine of choice for a U.S. variant. 
      But it will likely be a while before a final decision is made on the Ranger Raptor coming to the U.S.
      “We haven’t said anything about availability in the US, our first priority is to get a Raptor available to everyone on the planet earth. So Americans already have an F-150 Raptor, we’ve got to spread Raptors to the rest of the planet,” said Hameedi.
      Source: Drive

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last week, Ford unveiled the Raptor Ranger. The bad news as we reported was the model wasn't going to come here, but a tweet from Ford's North America Product Communications manager gave some hope that possibly, a smaller Raptor could come.
      More fuel has been added to this fire via some comments made by the chief engineer for Ford Performance, Jamal Hameedi. Speaking with Australian outlet Drive, Hameedi said the truck "would do really well in the states."
      “I think it’s certainly like it’s a baby Raptor, it depends what you’re looking for. There are a lot of people that just want that size in a pickup truck and they don’t want anything larger,” said Hameedi. 
      Hameedi went on to say that the diesel engine found in the Ranger Raptor would likely be swapped for a gas engine.
      “I think most American off-roaders would actually prefer a petrol gas engine, but a diesel is the absolute way to go for the rest of the world.”
      We think a version of Ford's 2.3 EcoBoost could be the engine of choice for a U.S. variant. 
      But it will likely be a while before a final decision is made on the Ranger Raptor coming to the U.S.
      “We haven’t said anything about availability in the US, our first priority is to get a Raptor available to everyone on the planet earth. So Americans already have an F-150 Raptor, we’ve got to spread Raptors to the rest of the planet,” said Hameedi.
      Source: Drive
    • By William Maley
      The redesigned Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator have been moving quite rapidly off dealer lots. In January, sales of the Expedition rose 59 percent while the Navigator saw a jaw-dropping 132 percent increase. But this is proving to be a problem for Ford as their dealers can't get enough of either model to satisfy consumer demand. A source told Automotive News that CEO Jim Hackett has banned Ford employees from ordering Expeditions and Navigators to help get more out into the world. The source said restricting employees from ordering a mainstream vehicle is very rare. 
      "We could have sold a lot more in January if we had them," said Mark LaNeve, Ford's vice president for U.S. marketing, sales and service during Ford's monthly sales call earlier this month.
      Ford will be addressing this issue with a $25 million investment into their Kentucky Truck Plant today. The investment will allow the plant to produce 25 percent more Expedition and Navigator models.
      "It's important for this plant to produce more vehicles. In this segment, people will pay for a great product. The dealer feedback has been even stronger than we've hoped for," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of global markets.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Ford

FORD INCREASING PRODUCTION OF ALL-NEW LINCOLN NAVIGATOR, FORD EXPEDITION TO MEET GREATER-THAN-ANTICIPATED CUSTOMER DEMAND
      Ford is increasing production of two entirely new SUVs – the Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition – to meet surging customer demand A new $25 million investment brings Ford’s total investment at Kentucky Truck Plant to $925 million and allows the company to increase manufacturing line speed; company has boosted production targets for full-size SUVs approximately 25 percent since fall This additional investment and advanced manufacturing upgrades all help the company improve its operational fitness. Upgrades include 400 new robots, enhanced data analytics to help the plant operate more efficiently and a new 3D printer that enables workers to make parts and tools more quickly and cheaper LOUISVILLE, Ky., Feb. 12, 2018 – Ford is increasing production of two popular full-size SUVs to meet surging demand for both all-new models.
      The company is using advanced manufacturing technologies and an upskilled workforce to increase line speed at its Kentucky Truck Plant to build even more Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition SUVs, boosting production targets approximately 25 percent since last fall when the SUVs hit the market.
      “The response from customers regarding our new full-size SUVs has been exceptional,” said Joe Hinrichs, president, Global Operations. “Using a combination of Ford’s advanced manufacturing and American hard work and ingenuity, we’ll deliver more high-quality Lincoln Navigators and Ford Expeditions to customers than originally planned.”
      A new $25 million investment for additional manufacturing enhancements brings Ford’s total investment at Kentucky Truck Plant to $925 million and allows the company to increase manufacturing line speed.
      This investment and advanced manufacturing upgrades are examples of the company’s quest to improve its operational fitness. Upgrades include 400 new robots, a new 3D printer that enables workers to make parts and tools more quickly and cheaper as well as enhanced data analytics to keep the assembly line moving as efficiently as possible.
      Surging customer demand
      Lincoln dealers simply can’t keep the entirely new Navigator on dealer lots; the luxury SUVs are spending an average of just seven days at the dealership before they are sold.
      Customers are trading in Land Rover and Mercedes vehicles in exchange for a Navigator, and nearly 85 percent of all Navigator buyers are choosing high-end Black Label and Reserve models.
      Customer demand for the highly-equipped Black Label and Reserve series contributed to an average transaction price increase of more than $21,000 in January versus a year ago. Navigator retail sales were up triple digits in every region of the country last month. Navigator sales more than doubled last month, thanks to growth in key markets including Florida, Texas and California, a competitive conquest rate of 40 percent and new interest from younger consumers.
      Expedition also is off to a strong start, with the top-of-the-line Platinum trim models representing 29 percent of sales – pushing transaction price increases up $7,800 in January. Expedition retail sales were up nearly 57 percent last month and vehicles are spending just seven days on dealer lots.
      To ensure customers can get vehicles as quickly as possible, Kentucky Truck Plant assembly line workers are working overtime and voluntary weekend shifts.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook