Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1986 Cadillac Eldorado Sales Promo

HUGE, fatal mistake showing the "first" three generations of Eldorado... and then they go into apologist mode, big-time. So sad.....

EDIT : that Mark VII LSC is a good looking car!

Edited by ocnblu

I don't think it was the down sizing that hurt so much, as Mercedes and BMW with smaller cars were gaining momentum in the 80s. I think the problem was many of the downsized Cadillacs look too much like a Chevy, Buick or Olds. The body shapes were similar and the Eldorado shape is pretty much the same as a Toranado and the grille is a bit like a Chevy Celebrity. It is the problem Lincoln has had, it is a Ford with leather, wood and a bigger engine, some of these 80s Cadillacs weren't different enough from the Buicks or Oldsmobiles.

I don't think it was the down sizing that hurt so much, as Mercedes and BMW with smaller cars were gaining momentum in the 80s. I think the problem was many of the downsized Cadillacs look too much like a Chevy, Buick or Olds. The body shapes were similar and the Eldorado shape is pretty much the same as a Toranado and the grille is a bit like a Chevy Celebrity. It is the problem Lincoln has had, it is a Ford with leather, wood and a bigger engine, some of these 80s Cadillacs weren't different enough from the Buicks or Oldsmobiles.

What makes it worse is that unlike today's Lincolns, the E-bodies weren't shared with Chevy or Pontiac... and back then the Toronado was always considered a pinnacle of engineering at Oldsmobile, so it wasn't an insult to share that with a Cadillac.

I always thought the tiny E-bodies were very well differentiated from each other, even more so than the '79-'85, imo.

Declining sales could also be due to Mr. Personality in the video diagramming the specs and features. That guy probably put any of the "sales prospects" to sleep.

I always thought the 85-87 Deville looked a lot like the Oldsmobile 98 of that era and even the Buick Park Ave in terms of roof shape and green house.

I liked how the late 80s Seville looked though, and I liked the late 80s, to early 90s Toronado

It is primarily an issue of size. Bringing BMW & MB into the discussion as 'proof' that's not the reason is misleading, as BMW and most mercedes were NOT luxury cars in the '80s (other than via price). Mercedes' sometimes flagship, the SL, was a joke of lux car in that decade.

I remember being in a circa '89 Seville, tho certainly plush, being familiar with earlier Cadillacs... it just rang false somehow.

The 1988 Eldorado fixed much of what was wrong with the 86/87 version but it still was a tad too small. The 86/87 had the weak 130 HP lump HT 4100 V8 with 20 LESS HP than the Riviera/Toro 3.8 V6, had older fashioned throttle body injection instead of the more advanced sequential port setup in the 3.8 which also utilized distributor-less ignition and was more expensive than either of those two cars. The Buick also had the cool CRT touch screen. The 1988 was what the 86/87 car should have been from the start. Improved HT 4100 growing to 4.5 liters with improved sealing, more rigid blocks, improved oil pump design and intake gaskets, 25 more HP and 40 more torque, the return of tail fins with an extended rear end and sharper creased power dome hood and much improved quality control. The Eldo and Seville of this time era were downsized a bit too much in fear of an oil crises that never happened.

The 1980s S-class had the luxury, technology and the powertrain options to match or beat any other car on the market in that era, and they sold 892,000 of them world wide. I know the small European cars of the period didn't offer a lot of luxury, but they had build quality (well maybe not Audi), those 1980s Volvos and Mercedes drove for hundreds of thousands of miles and customers liked it.

Cadillac today is in the same fight they were in in 1985, downsizing cars trying to match the imports, except this time around the ATS doesn't suck like some of their previous efforts have.

Haven't been inside an '80s SL, I see. Or an s-sedan either- truly pitiful efforts. Cheap & spartan.

Oh well, it was good practice for their current downmarket push.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook