Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

New York Auto Show: This Is The 2014 Jeep Cherokee

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 22, 2013

Automakers do their best to keep a new vehicle under wraps until the time comes when they can show it off to everyone on their terms. Any spy shot and leak could disrupt their plans.

For example, Jalopnik this morning reportedly had the shots and the name of the 2014 Jeep replacement for the Liberty, the Cherokee. The shots taken in a factory were somewhat blurry but gave us a look of what was supposedly the new unique shape of the Cherokee. Well Jeep has gone ahead and released some pictures and confirmed the name of Cherokee tonight.

There are only a handful shots released and all show the new nose with its crimped nose and split headlights, and polarizing profile of the new Cherokee. Jeep also announced the new Cherokee would premiere at New York Auto Show in March and go on sale in the third-quarter.

Other than those pieces of information, the rest is unknown. We've been hearing the new Cherokee is based on Fiat's CUSW platform, use a 3.2L V6 and a four-cylinder, and will come with the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

We'll have more information on the Cherokee when it makes its debut at the New York later in March. In the meantime, what are you thoughts on the new Cherokee.

Source: Chrysler

2014 Jeep Cherokee 4
Album: 2014 Jeep Cherokee
4 images
0 comments

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.comor you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Auburn Hills, Mich. - Jeep® Cherokee. The name is instantly recognizable as the most capable and versatile mid-size SUV in the world. For 2014, Jeep brings the Cherokee name back to North America with the debut of its all-new mid-size sport-utility vehicle.

Set to debut at the New York International Auto Show in March, the all-new, "no-compromise" 2014 Jeep Cherokee sets a new standard with even more best-in-class capability, exemplary on-road driving dynamics, and fuel economy improvements of more than 45 percent versus the outgoing mid-size SUV model.

The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee will be built in the United States at Chrysler Group's Toledo Assembly Plant in Toledo, Ohio, and will arrive in dealer showrooms in the third quarter of this year.

Click here to view the article

Jeep, stop Juking my heart around. :)

It is completely, jarringly new and therefore shocking as hell.

And the bastardization begins.

Cherokee name is surprising too.

I don't get the contemporary house things as a background. Pretty lame, I don't think people who read 'Dwell' are Jeepers.

And the bastardization begins.

Cherokee name is surprising too.

I don't get the contemporary house things as a background. Pretty lame, I don't think people who read 'Dwell' are Jeepers.

I think they are going after the Evoque at a lower price point... what's weird is the juxtaposition w/ the Cherokee name, which has a history of being non-trendy and serious w/ off road skills..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

well, everything is so politically sensitive these days, i don't see how they can use the name cherokee and not upset the ------. Gedney stopped calling their little dill pickles midgets because some mom went on an offensive about how it was offensive because she has i guess a midget child.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It looks better than the production line shots, but I will have to see it in real life...the headlights don't bother me too much, but the pointy noise and what they did with the kink in the grille is upsetting...I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but I hope it really is trail rated, and deserving of the badge.

I don't mind the grille treatment, but the lighting...are the middle lights the headlights and the top ones parking lights? It's very strange..

I think this will be the best looking vehicle in their stable. They've given it a very modern appearance while not copying the same mistakes they made with the Compass.

They're going to sell these by the truckload.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i don't mind the upper headlight, but the lower ones should be larger.

conspiracy theory, the 'leak' was intentional, due to the shock value of the new look, it gives people more time to get used to it and discuss it and become comfortable with it before show time.

It's polarizing for sure, but all things considered, I think that's a good thing. This small Jeep is making a design statement. The interior and rear 3/4 look promising.

• Upvote 1

Polarizing as a Love Hate relationship would be and just could end up being a smash hit.

I asked my son who bought a 2012 Liberty and he said he would pass as it does not have the traditional Jeep look that he loves and why he got the Liberty, yet his girl friend said she loves it and always thought Alex's Liberty was old looking.

Again, this is the Y generation, both 25 years old, so I think they will be successful but to the youth martket more than the older market.

Mr. dfelt, what happened to the black Patriot?

maybe they will need their own launch party!!

0907_01_z+pontiac_aztek+front_three_quar

i wonder if it will have more than 185hp!! they would need a new sign!!!!

I bet the 4-cylinder version has even less than 185 hp, but maybe it will make 185 and they can keep the sign and get Sam and Kate to do the commercials.

Mr. dfelt, what happened to the black Patriot?

My Bad, he still has the Black Patriot, I always get it mixed up with the Liberty as his is the Patriot Latitude edition. Always get confused with them having the Compass/Patriot twins and I see in their advertising here this morning that they are having the compass start 4 grand more than the Patriot. Seems they are pushing the compass as a higher level CUV.

My daughter who is 29 told me last night in looking over the Jeep Cherokee that she finds it totally ugly and her friends she showed it to all agreed. One of her male friends said it does not have the Mojo of the Original Cherokee and he would rather have the current Liberty over this monster.

Another anecdotal observation...I showed the pics to my sister who used to own a Liberty and likes my GC...she thought it was ugly.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. Drex
      Drex
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      FCA US Reports 2018 January Sales
      FCA January retail sales rise 2 percent to second highest level in 17 years Fleet sales reduced 50 percent year-over-year  Total sales decline 13 percent year-over-year February 1, 2018 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 132,803 vehicles, a 13 percent decrease compared with sales in January 2017 of 152,218.

Retail sales rose 2 percent to 111,577, making it the second highest level since 2001. FCA maintained its strategy of reducing fleet sales, which decreased by 50 percent compared with January 2017. Fleet accounted for 16 percent of total January sales.

Jeep® Brand
      Jeep brand total sales increased 2 percent in January to 59,703. Retail sales increased 11 percent to 57,017, setting a record for January. The Jeep Compass generated total sales of 10,192 – also a record for January. Jeep Cherokee total sales for January rose 16 percent to 14,621. Dealerships began receiving deliveries of the all-new 2018 Jeep Wrangler in January, which is being produced in Toledo, Ohio.   

Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand total sales declined 21 percent in January to 10,584 compared with the same month a year ago. The Chrysler Pacifica minivan posted a 20 percent sales increase to 8,011 marking its best January ever. The 2018 Pacifica was also named “Family Car of the Year” by Cars.com in January.
      Dodge Brand
      Dodge brand total sales declined 31 percent to 27,600. The Dodge Durango full-size SUV continued generating strong results by posting a 9 percent increase in sales compared with the same month a year earlier. The Dodge Challenger received an Automotive Loyalty Award from IHS Markit in January. It had the highest model loyalty in the non-luxury mid-size sport segment.   
      Ram Truck Brand
      Ram Truck brand sales were down 16 percent to 32,039 compared with the previous year. Ram unveiled the new 2019 1500 pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. The truck is slated to start production by the end of the first quarter in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

FIAT Brand
      Sales of Fiat brand declined 43 percent to 1,229 vehicles.  

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,648 vehicles were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago. Giulia led the brand with 948 sales, followed by Stelvio at 688.  
      Method of Determining FCA US LLC’s Monthly Sales. FCA US’s reported vehicle sales represent unit sales of vehicles to retail customers, deliveries of vehicles to fleet customers and to others such as FCA US’s employees and retirees as well as vehicles used for marketing. Most of these reported sales reflect retail sales made by dealers out of their own inventory of vehicles previously purchased by them from FCA US. Reported vehicle units sales do not correspond to FCA US’s reported revenues, which are based on FCA US’s sale and delivery of vehicles, and typically recognized upon shipment to the dealer or end customer. As announced on July 26, 2016, FCA US has modified its methodology for monthly sales reporting as follows:
      Sales to retail customers by dealers in the U.S. are derived from the New Vehicle Delivery Report (“NVDR”) system and are determined as the sum of (A) all sales recorded by dealers during the month net of all unwound transactions recorded to the end of that month (whether the original sale was recorded in the current month or any prior month); plus (B) all sales of vehicles during that month attributable to past unwinds that had previously been reversed in determining monthly sales (in the current or prior months). Fleet sales are recorded upon the shipment of the vehicle by FCA US to the customer or end user. Other retail sales are recorded either (A) when the sale is recorded in the NVDR system (for sales by dealers in Puerto Rico and limited sales made through distributors that submit NVDRs in the same manner as for sales by U.S. dealers) or (B) upon receipt of a similar delivery notification (for vehicles for which NVDRs are not entered such as vehicles for FCA employees). FCA US LLC Sales Summary January 2018
                      Month Sales
      Vol %
      CYTD Sales
      Vol %
      Model
      Curr Yr
      Pr Yr
      Change
      Curr Yr
      Pr Yr
      Change
      Compass
      222%
      222%
      Patriot
      -97%
      -97%
      Wrangler
      4%
      4%
      Cherokee
      16%
      16%
      Grand Cherokee
      -5%
      -5%
      Renegade
      -29%
      -29%
      JEEP BRAND
      2%
      2%
      -87%
      -87%
      -51%
      -51%
      Town & Country
      -99%
      -99%
      Pacifica
      20%
      20%
      CHRYSLER BRAND
      -21%
      -21%
      Dart
      -94%
      -94%
      Avenger
      100%
        Charger
      -27%
      -27%
      Challenger
      0%
      0%
      Viper
      -96%
      -96%
      Journey
      -73%
      -73%
      Caravan
      -3%
      -3%
      Durango
      9%
      9%
      DODGE  BRAND
      -31%
      -31%
      Ram P/U
      -13%
      -13%
      Cargo Van
      0%
        ProMaster Van
      -47%
      -47%
      ProMaster City
      -2%
      -2%
      RAM BRAND
      -16%
      -16%
      -63%
      -63%
      500L
      -2%
      -2%
      500X
      -19%
      -19%
      Spider
      -24%
      -24%
      FIAT BRAND
      -43%
      -43%
      Giulia
      1254%
      1254%
      Alfa 4C 
      -68%
      -68%
      Stelvio
      New
      New
      ALFA ROMEO
      1426%
      1426%
      FCA US LLC
      -13%
      -13%
    • By William Maley
      After more than a decade of production, the last Jeep JK Wrangler is expected to roll off the assembly line on April 7th. Automotive News obtained a WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification) filed by supplier Hyundai Mobis North America to the State of Ohio. The line where the JK is built at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' Toledo, Ohio plant will be shut down for extensive retooling to make way for the Wrangler pickup. Production is expected to begin next April.
      FCA retooled part of the Toledo plant last year to make way for the JL Wrangler. Production of this model began back in November.
      We still don't many details about the Wrangler pickup aside from it looking like the new Wrangler with a pickup bed. Rumor has it that the pickup will have a slightly altered frame from the standard Wrangler and possibly have the Scrambler nameplate.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      After more than a decade of production, the last Jeep JK Wrangler is expected to roll off the assembly line on April 7th. Automotive News obtained a WARN (Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification) filed by supplier Hyundai Mobis North America to the State of Ohio. The line where the JK is built at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' Toledo, Ohio plant will be shut down for extensive retooling to make way for the Wrangler pickup. Production is expected to begin next April.
      FCA retooled part of the Toledo plant last year to make way for the JL Wrangler. Production of this model began back in November.
      We still don't many details about the Wrangler pickup aside from it looking like the new Wrangler with a pickup bed. Rumor has it that the pickup will have a slightly altered frame from the standard Wrangler and possibly have the Scrambler nameplate.
    • By William Maley
      Jeep's boss Mike Manley told reporters at the Detroit Auto Show that the brand is looking 'very closely' at building a crossover smaller than the Renegade. The model would be targeted at markets like Europe where small cars are dominate. 
      If given the go-ahead, the new Jeep would be based on FCA’s Mini platform that underpins the Fiat 500 and Panda. Production could take place in Pomigliano, Italy. One issue that needs to be addressed before a decision is made is making sure the model is capable off-road like other Jeep models.
      According to supplier sources, FCA has been talking about possibly producing this model. However, the project has suffered many stop and starts.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Jeep's boss Mike Manley told reporters at the Detroit Auto Show that the brand is looking 'very closely' at building a crossover smaller than the Renegade. The model would be targeted at markets like Europe where small cars are dominate. 
      If given the go-ahead, the new Jeep would be based on FCA’s Mini platform that underpins the Fiat 500 and Panda. Production could take place in Pomigliano, Italy. One issue that needs to be addressed before a decision is made is making sure the model is capable off-road like other Jeep models.
      According to supplier sources, FCA has been talking about possibly producing this model. However, the project has suffered many stop and starts.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook