Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

New York Auto Show: This Is The 2014 Jeep Cherokee

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

February 22, 2013

Automakers do their best to keep a new vehicle under wraps until the time comes when they can show it off to everyone on their terms. Any spy shot and leak could disrupt their plans.

For example, Jalopnik this morning reportedly had the shots and the name of the 2014 Jeep replacement for the Liberty, the Cherokee. The shots taken in a factory were somewhat blurry but gave us a look of what was supposedly the new unique shape of the Cherokee. Well Jeep has gone ahead and released some pictures and confirmed the name of Cherokee tonight.

There are only a handful shots released and all show the new nose with its crimped nose and split headlights, and polarizing profile of the new Cherokee. Jeep also announced the new Cherokee would premiere at New York Auto Show in March and go on sale in the third-quarter.

Other than those pieces of information, the rest is unknown. We've been hearing the new Cherokee is based on Fiat's CUSW platform, use a 3.2L V6 and a four-cylinder, and will come with the choice of front or all-wheel drive.

We'll have more information on the Cherokee when it makes its debut at the New York later in March. In the meantime, what are you thoughts on the new Cherokee.

Source: Chrysler

2014 Jeep Cherokee 4
Album: 2014 Jeep Cherokee
4 images
0 comments

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.comor you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Auburn Hills, Mich. - Jeep® Cherokee. The name is instantly recognizable as the most capable and versatile mid-size SUV in the world. For 2014, Jeep brings the Cherokee name back to North America with the debut of its all-new mid-size sport-utility vehicle.

Set to debut at the New York International Auto Show in March, the all-new, "no-compromise" 2014 Jeep Cherokee sets a new standard with even more best-in-class capability, exemplary on-road driving dynamics, and fuel economy improvements of more than 45 percent versus the outgoing mid-size SUV model.

The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee will be built in the United States at Chrysler Group's Toledo Assembly Plant in Toledo, Ohio, and will arrive in dealer showrooms in the third quarter of this year.

Click here to view the article

Jeep, stop Juking my heart around. :)

It is completely, jarringly new and therefore shocking as hell.

And the bastardization begins.

Cherokee name is surprising too.

I don't get the contemporary house things as a background. Pretty lame, I don't think people who read 'Dwell' are Jeepers.

And the bastardization begins.

Cherokee name is surprising too.

I don't get the contemporary house things as a background. Pretty lame, I don't think people who read 'Dwell' are Jeepers.

I think they are going after the Evoque at a lower price point... what's weird is the juxtaposition w/ the Cherokee name, which has a history of being non-trendy and serious w/ off road skills..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

well, everything is so politically sensitive these days, i don't see how they can use the name cherokee and not upset the ------. Gedney stopped calling their little dill pickles midgets because some mom went on an offensive about how it was offensive because she has i guess a midget child.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It looks better than the production line shots, but I will have to see it in real life...the headlights don't bother me too much, but the pointy noise and what they did with the kink in the grille is upsetting...I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but I hope it really is trail rated, and deserving of the badge.

I don't mind the grille treatment, but the lighting...are the middle lights the headlights and the top ones parking lights? It's very strange..

I think this will be the best looking vehicle in their stable. They've given it a very modern appearance while not copying the same mistakes they made with the Compass.

They're going to sell these by the truckload.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i don't mind the upper headlight, but the lower ones should be larger.

conspiracy theory, the 'leak' was intentional, due to the shock value of the new look, it gives people more time to get used to it and discuss it and become comfortable with it before show time.

It's polarizing for sure, but all things considered, I think that's a good thing. This small Jeep is making a design statement. The interior and rear 3/4 look promising.

• Upvote 1

Polarizing as a Love Hate relationship would be and just could end up being a smash hit.

I asked my son who bought a 2012 Liberty and he said he would pass as it does not have the traditional Jeep look that he loves and why he got the Liberty, yet his girl friend said she loves it and always thought Alex's Liberty was old looking.

Again, this is the Y generation, both 25 years old, so I think they will be successful but to the youth martket more than the older market.

Mr. dfelt, what happened to the black Patriot?

maybe they will need their own launch party!!

0907_01_z+pontiac_aztek+front_three_quar

i wonder if it will have more than 185hp!! they would need a new sign!!!!

I bet the 4-cylinder version has even less than 185 hp, but maybe it will make 185 and they can keep the sign and get Sam and Kate to do the commercials.

Mr. dfelt, what happened to the black Patriot?

My Bad, he still has the Black Patriot, I always get it mixed up with the Liberty as his is the Patriot Latitude edition. Always get confused with them having the Compass/Patriot twins and I see in their advertising here this morning that they are having the compass start 4 grand more than the Patriot. Seems they are pushing the compass as a higher level CUV.

My daughter who is 29 told me last night in looking over the Jeep Cherokee that she finds it totally ugly and her friends she showed it to all agreed. One of her male friends said it does not have the Mojo of the Original Cherokee and he would rather have the current Liberty over this monster.

Another anecdotal observation...I showed the pics to my sister who used to own a Liberty and likes my GC...she thought it was ugly.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      We know from previous spy shots that Jeep is readying a refresh of the Cherokee that will include revised styling for the front and rear. It seems Jeep has something else up its sleeve for the Cherokee.
      The Truth About Cars did some sleuthing through FCA's 2019 VIN code guide and found that the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that debuted on the Wrangler would be an option on the Cherokee. Paired with a 48-volt, the turbo 2.0L produces 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. This is one less horsepower than the Cherokee's 3.2L V6, but offers 56 more pound-feet.
      The turbo 2.0L will likely only be available in higher trim versions of the Cherokee.
      We're expecting the 2.4L four-cylinder and 3.2L V6 to soldier on.
      Source: The Truth About Cars

View full article
    • By William Maley
      We know from previous spy shots that Jeep is readying a refresh of the Cherokee that will include revised styling for the front and rear. It seems Jeep has something else up its sleeve for the Cherokee.
      The Truth About Cars did some sleuthing through FCA's 2019 VIN code guide and found that the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that debuted on the Wrangler would be an option on the Cherokee. Paired with a 48-volt, the turbo 2.0L produces 270 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. This is one less horsepower than the Cherokee's 3.2L V6, but offers 56 more pound-feet.
      The turbo 2.0L will likely only be available in higher trim versions of the Cherokee.
      We're expecting the 2.4L four-cylinder and 3.2L V6 to soldier on.
      Source: The Truth About Cars
    • By William Maley
      FCA US Reports November 2017 Sales
      FCA US retail sales up 2 percent, compared with same month a year ago A 25 percent year-over-year decline in fleet sales is in line with the FCA US strategy to reduce sales to the daily rental segment Chrysler brand sales up 14 percent; Chrysler Pacifica minivan posts best sales month ever Sales of all-new Jeep® Compass up 34 percent; best ever November sales December 1, 2017 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC today reported sales of 154,919 units, a 4 percent decrease compared with sales in November 2016 (160,827 units).

In November, retail sales of 129,539 units were up 2 percent compared with the same month in 2016 and represented 84 percent of total sales. In line with FCA’s strategy to reduce sales to the daily rental segment, fleet sales of 25,380 units were down, as expected, 25 percent year over year. The largest planned volume reduction in November fleet sales came from the Jeep® brand, which reduced its fleet sales number by 75 percent year over year. Fleet sales represented 16 percent of total FCA US November sales.

The Chrysler Pacifica minivan and the all-new Jeep Compass each posted record sales in November. Pacifica sales were up 51 percent for its best sales month ever, while Compass sales increased 34 percent for its best November sales ever. The Jeep Grand Cherokee recorded its best November sales since 2003. Other FCA US vehicles posting year-over-year sales increases in the month of November were the Chrysler 300, Fiat 500L, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Grand Caravan, Dodge Durango and Ram ProMaster City.
      Chrysler Brand
      Chrysler brand sales were up 14 percent in November, compared with the same month a year ago. Both the Chrysler Pacifica minivan and the Chrysler 300 full-size sedan posted sales increases in November. Pacifica sales were up 51 percent, the minivan’s best sales month ever. Green Car Reports named the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid as the 2018 Best Car to Buy. Its sister publication, The Car Connection, named the Pacifica as the 2018 Best Minivan to Buy. Sales of the 300 were up 15 percent in November, its best November sales since 2015. The 300 won the Large Car segment in Edmunds’ Most Wanted awards last month. This recognition honors the most in-demand vehicles based on sales, days-to-turn and shopper interest data on the Edmunds website.

Jeep Brand
      Sales of the all-new Jeep Compass increased 34 percent for its best November sales ever. The Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee each posted year-over-year sales increases. The Grand Cherokee turned in its best November sales since 2003. In addition, Jeep brand retail sales were up 13 percent in November, compared with the same month a year ago. The Jeep brand earlier this week introduced the next-generation 2018 Jeep Wrangler at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The all-new Wrangler – the most capable and recognized vehicle in the world – builds on its legendary history with an unmatched combination of off-road capability, open-air freedom, advanced fuel-efficient powertrains, authentic Jeep design, superior on- and off-road dynamics, and a host of innovative safety and advanced technology features.

Dodge Brand
      Sales of the Dodge Grand Caravan and the Dodge Durango SUV were up year over year in November. Grand Caravan sales increased 28 percent last month, while the Durango posted a 9 percent increase, compared with the same month a year ago. The Dodge brand announced last month that it has begun shipping the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon – the most powerful muscle car in history – to its Dodge dealers in the U.S.

Ram Truck Brand
      Sales of the Ram ProMaster City van were up 21 percent in November, compared with the same month a year ago. In addition, Ram Truck brand retail sales were up 3 percent in November. The Ram Truck brand last month unveiled its new, special-edition 2018 Ram 1500 Hydro Blue Sport. The Hydro Blue Sport will be the final special-edition Sport the brand will offer in the 2017 calendar year. Previously, Ram launched Sublime (Green) and Copper Sport limited-edition trucks earlier this year and an Ignition Orange edition in late 2016.

FIAT Brand
      Sales of the Fiat 500L increased 32 percent last month for its best November sales since 2015.

Alfa Romeo Brand
      Alfa Romeo brand sales of 1,440 units were up significantly compared with the same month a year ago as the launch of the all-new 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUV continues in U.S. dealerships. Earlier this week, the editors of Motor Trend named the Alfa Romeo Giulia as its 2018 Car of the Year, best representing exceptional value, superiority in its class and impact on the automotive scene.
      FCA US LLC Sales Summary November 2017
                          Month Sales
      Vol %
      CYTD Sales
      Vol %
        Model
      Curr Yr
      Pr Yr
      Change
      Curr Yr
      Pr Yr
      Change