NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1979 Cadillac Seville Promo video

16 posts in this topic

We had one here were a guy put a Trans Am suspension under it and lowered it down. made for a sweet ride.

If Cadillac had gone in this direction more I think they may have not gone south the way they did in the 80's. Smaller RWD cars with improved performance and fresh styling might have been the ticket. We are just now getting back to where this should have gone now with the CTS.

I suppose these sold fairly well, but they didn't look Cadillac enough for me. From the side, that is totally a Delta 88.

Meh- GM's stylistic range was severely compact in the late '70s thru the '80s, but the S1 Seville was still an aspirational, clean, well-wearing design. The set of the body over the wheels/tires and the long taper front-to-rear were very well done.

The 88 is quite mainstream- nothing really interesting going on with the design. But I kno what you're thinking of- the 88 went to wrap-around tails for '80.

The Seville has a sharp-creased fender line and the hood & deck are notably single-plane (the 88 gained this in the '80 reskin). Seville also has front wheels located much farther forward than the 88. I see a lot of difference within the era.

auction_olds1.jpg

6802749398_eaa69054f0.jpg

Edited by balthazar

I never saw much resemblance between the B-bodies and the Seville, but the '80+ A/G 4dr roofline resembled the Seville quite a bit, but in a much blander overall package.

1980_cutlass_oldsmobile_4_door_car_1800_

I always liked that era of Seville, great RWD proportions w/ the long hood and long front axle-to-door length...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Upvote 1

The 1979 Seville is 2 inches longer than an XTS. Even though this was the downsized Cadillac, they didn't downsize fast enough, then when they did in the mid 80s it was with the Cimmaron and the wrong wheel drive Seville.

The 1979 Seville is 2 inches longer than an XTS. Even though this was the downsized Cadillac, they didn't downsize fast enough, then when they did in the mid 80s it was with the Cimmaron and the wrong wheel drive Seville.

It's weird to think the biggest Cadillac sedan today is shorter than the smallest in '79. So wrong..

The 1979 Seville is 2 inches longer than an XTS. Even though this was the downsized Cadillac, they didn't downsize fast enough...

The '76 Fleetwood was 234" overall. The '77 Fleetwood was down 13" from the '76s. The Seville was THIRTY INCHES shorter. That's an unprecedented leap.

Cadillac set the all-time luxury sales record in the U.S. in.... 1979, a bar that very probably will never be surpassed.

Not that I personally think that was a 'good thing'...

My grandmother had a '76 Seville, grandfather had a '78 deVille, so they are familiar to me. I liked 'em in general for the era, tho I always thought Caddys should've had larger speedos. The horizontal speedos in my early '60s Pontiacs were half-again as wide, and they weren't shrouded like above.

^ Seems so, don't it? Yet round dials were here since the beginning, making them "ancient tech", while horizontals are MUCH more recent. ;)

I don't where something akin to this, at least here & there in the industry :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmyqzZ87ZLiY9IG9MT2wj

couldn't be made modern & unique, in the same space this always takes up :

mMgVqONaEMdL1jjAKyuaoxw.jpg

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY

Thanks for the moral support, but unfortunately the jury's still out on that one :P

Seriously, now... I do see a similarity in there somehow...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.