Sign in to follow this  
ChrisPauwels

Oldsmobile Revived: 88 Concept

88_merged.jpg

This will be the first in a new Oldsmobile Revival series. I encourage the other designers to create their own take on what new Oldsmobiles would look like now if the brand had now been cancelled. Think about what Olds could have been if the brand had the benefit of all of the great new GM platforms offered now.

Great artwork, Chris! Happy to see you back here, sharing it with us.

Interesting. I'm assuming this would be XTS/LaCrosse-based as opposed to being Zeta or Sigma-based, correct?

The placement of the door handles is slightly unconventional but it works nicely. The "split shield" motif on the front fascia is also an interesting and modern interpretation on traditional Olds themes. It's great.

It's really too bad that Oldsmobile didn't build cars like this — i.e. traditional (your father's) models — during the late 1980s and 1990s. Trying to spin the brand's reputation for technology and innovation as being hip and trend to cash in on being hip and trendy is really what doomed the brand. Granted, the Aurora, Intrigue, Alero, and Bravada were all really nice cars and probably the best GM made at the time, but imagine if they had applied that much effort to a new Cutlass or a Toronado that didn't deviate much from their '70s counterparts in spirit and general execution. It's because buyers used to know what to expect from Oldsmobile —quality and futuristic thinking being the main two traits — that they were one of the best selling brands in the US market during their hayday, and why Cutlasses littered highways like Camrys do today. That's really what Olds used to be: Toyota. If only Roger Smith didn't absoutely butcher the brand to absolute death in the '80s, maybe Oldsmobile could have been around and taken credit for building the first hybrid car.

Edited by black-knight

@Drew: There is a bit of a concave lip around the edge of the grey areas. However the overall shape is convex.

@black-knight: This car would be based on the Alpha platform currently used by the ATS. It is my intent to create a larger flagship car north of this one.

If the engine is supercharged or turbo charged with a cooler, this nose while not a favorite of mine would do well to funnel the air into the cooler to help with the over all boost. Some very interesting design elements.

Welcome back, it is nice to see some out of the box thinking in auto design.

Chris, nice to see you back. I am reviewing the design concept. I like the fact you brought Olds up and made it contemporary. I do like the fact a lot of great comments have been made here as well. I like the rocket emblem too. I am glad you are doing a series too. I would like to see a new Ninety Eight and Toronado. I do like the fact they do not look like Lincolns too. I like what you did for the exterior rear view mirrors. That is what I would have done. Keep up the good work.

Chris, nice to see you back. I am reviewing the design concept. I like the fact you brought Olds up and made it contemporary. I do like the fact a lot of great comments have been made here as well. I like the rockem emblem too. I am glad you are doing a series too. I would like to see a new Ninety Eight and Toronado. I do like the fact they do not look like Lincolns too. I like what you did for the exterior rear view mirtrors. That is what I would have done. Keep up the good work.

+1 on the Toronado

Needs moar chrome.

On a serious note, I love the logo you came up with, but feel oppositely about the vehicle's design. It feels very Chrysler LX (Charger/300) to me but with a more plain body and a slightly Pontiac face. A little too outrageous to me. :\ Glad to see you back though!

It's great to see some new member designs after all this time and I'm looking forward to seeing more Oldsmobile's for sure. Having said that, as an owner of an 88 and former 98 owner I am not entirely sold on this design, but I do like the fact you made it unique and it certainly stands out among today's cookie cutter designs. I love the new rocket logo, it's a nice update on the classic logo. I like the idea of the front fascia although I feel it may be a little too tall and may work more as a new Bravada's front. I'm looking forward to seeing a Toronado and even a Cutlass / 442 which I think would look great on Alpha, or maybe based on the Code 130R concept. As for a 98, I can see it being something totally different than what it became in it's final years, instead of being a slightly restyled 88, I say go into full on flagship mode and make it truly it's own car.

Great work so far, and welcome back.

From the middle of the doors up and the front fascia are utterly fantastic.For some reason though I'm not feeling the bottom half of the doors.

It's great seeing you back here drawing again.

Part of the challenge associated with rebooting Olds, design wise, is trying to avoid having the cars reassemble Pontiacs. Especially if you'd like to incorporate a split grille design. My next concept may not feature a split grille. I will do some research on grilles Olds used in the past that do not feature a split design.

Part of the challenge associated with rebooting Olds, design wise, is trying to avoid having the cars reassemble Pontiacs. Especially if you'd like to incorporate a split grille design. My next concept may not feature a split grille. I will do some research on grilles Olds used in the past that do not feature a split design.

Some non-split grille designs:

oldsmobile_toronado-206826.jpg

oldsmobile-cutlass-calais-quad-4_1003789

4129352263_89fc930140_z.jpg

oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-12.jpg

2712509263_c2cd0c0938_z.jpg

Some non-traditional split grille designs:

1972-Oldsmobile-Toronado-fvr.jpg

Oldsmobile-Aurora_mp39_pic_24147.jpg

1976_oldsmobile_cutlass_supreme-pic-3782

oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-s-03.jpg

You can find those from 1960-1967

The Olds split grille does not have to look like Pontiac. It is not to make them look like Pontiacs. Look at the 1968-1985 Oldsmobiles. A stronger example is the 1988 Cutlass Supreme. My cars I own look like Oldsmobiles because they are. My Ninety Eight has a strong Olds split grille. It reminds me of the 1973-1976 Oldsmobiles.

Oldsmobiles should have a narrow height quad headlight design in the front end too.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook