Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

BMW News: Peeking At Some Of BMW's Future Products

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 12, 2013

Automobile Magazine got their hands on a document issued by BMW to its dealers detailing what products would be arriving to dealers. The information, to say in the least is very interesting.

We'll start with the big news first: diesels. July will be the month when BMW will begin production of the 3-Series with a diesel engine. The engine in question is a 2.0L inline-four that will be available in rear or all-wheel drive models. Wearing the 328d badge, it will be available in a sedan and a first for the U.S., a wagon.

In other diesel news, the 5-Series will also be getting a twin-turbocharged 3.0L inline-six diesel. Models equipped with this engine will wear the 535d badge and have the choice of rear or all-wheel drive. Production begins in July.

Meanwhile on the new product front, the third-generation X5 begins production in July at BMW's Spartanburg, South Carolina Factory. The new X5 will come with a 3.0L turbocharged inline-six and 4.4L twin-turbo V8. A diesel will be added later in the year.

Also new is the 2-Series, which takes the place of the 1-Series coupe and convertible. Models will include the 228i (2.0L turbocharged inline-four) or the hot M235i (3.0L inline-six) and will begin production in November.

Source: Automobile

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

I wonder if BMW will not dilute their brand with having Chevy equal products??????

I wonder if BMW will not dilute their brand with having Chevy equal products??????

Don't think the pricing will be comparable :P

328d should be good, that should get over 40 mpg. They are considering an M8 supercar that looks similar to the M1, that could be cool too.

A 528d would be nice, too. Would make a nice competitor to E250 BlueTEC and Model S 40-kWh.

Don't think the pricing will be comparable :P

BMW 1 & 2 series are chevy priced.

But those are not Chevy equals...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      BMW has taken the wraps off the 2020 BMW 2-series Gran Coupe. It will come in two flavors, a 228 hp 228i Drive and a 301hp M235i xDrive.
      The 228i is powered by BMW's "B" modular engine family. It produces 228 horsepower from 5,000 rpm - 6,000 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque from 1,450 rpm to 4,500 rpm. The M235i increase that to 301 horsepower from 5,000 rpm - 6,250 rpm and 332 lb-ft of torque from 1,750 rpm - 4,500 rpm. The 235's engine gets larger diameter main bearings, new pistons connecting rods, a larger turbocharger, and a larger capacity cooling system. all of that gets you to 60 in 4.7 seconds, a 1.3 second improvement over the 6.0 seconds the base engine gets you.  Power is routed to all wheels via an 8-speed automatic transmission. Top speed for the 228 is an electronically limited 130 mph while the M235 can get to 155 when equipped with performance tires.
      Unlike the 2-series coupe, the Gran Coupe rides on a front-wheel drive platform shared with the X1, X2, and Mini Clubman and Countryman. 
      The xDrive system has an ARB (Actuator-Related Wheel Slip Limiter) and can split torque up to 50:50 front:rear.  On the M235i, the xDrive also includes a front limited slip differential. 
      The standard Active Driving Assistant includes safety features like Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation Function and Active Blind Spot Detection, and Daytime Pedestrian Protection. Also included is the Lane Departure Warning system with active lane return, which operates from 43 – 150mph. The standard Lane Change Warning system, which prompts the driver to guide the car back onto the correct lane at speeds above 12 mph by means of a visual warning and, if necessary, a steering input. The Active Driving Assistant’s other functions include rear collision preparation and cross traffic warning, which reduces the risk of a collision when reversing into roads or paths obstructed from the driver’s view.
      Production of the 2-series Gran Coupe begins in November.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      BMW has taken the wraps off the 2020 BMW 2-series Gran Coupe. It will come in two flavors, a 228 hp 228i Drive and a 301hp M235i xDrive.
      The 228i is powered by BMW's "B" modular engine family. It produces 228 horsepower from 5,000 rpm - 6,000 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque from 1,450 rpm to 4,500 rpm. The M235i increase that to 301 horsepower from 5,000 rpm - 6,250 rpm and 332 lb-ft of torque from 1,750 rpm - 4,500 rpm. The 235's engine gets larger diameter main bearings, new pistons connecting rods, a larger turbocharger, and a larger capacity cooling system. all of that gets you to 60 in 4.7 seconds, a 1.3 second improvement over the 6.0 seconds the base engine gets you.  Power is routed to all wheels via an 8-speed automatic transmission. Top speed for the 228 is an electronically limited 130 mph while the M235 can get to 155 when equipped with performance tires.
      Unlike the 2-series coupe, the Gran Coupe rides on a front-wheel drive platform shared with the X1, X2, and Mini Clubman and Countryman. 
      The xDrive system has an ARB (Actuator-Related Wheel Slip Limiter) and can split torque up to 50:50 front:rear.  On the M235i, the xDrive also includes a front limited slip differential. 
      The standard Active Driving Assistant includes safety features like Frontal Collision Warning with City Collision Mitigation Function and Active Blind Spot Detection, and Daytime Pedestrian Protection. Also included is the Lane Departure Warning system with active lane return, which operates from 43 – 150mph. The standard Lane Change Warning system, which prompts the driver to guide the car back onto the correct lane at speeds above 12 mph by means of a visual warning and, if necessary, a steering input. The Active Driving Assistant’s other functions include rear collision preparation and cross traffic warning, which reduces the risk of a collision when reversing into roads or paths obstructed from the driver’s view.
      Production of the 2-series Gran Coupe begins in November.

• By Drew Dowdell
      As we reported last month, Jeep is adding a diesel to the Wrangler lineup.  The 3.0-liter diesel will produce 260 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque and be paired only with the 8-speed automatic. Electronic Start-Stop is also standard issue. 
      As for how much it is going to cost, be prepared to shell out up to an additional $6,000 over the base model.  It breaks down like this:  $4,000 for the diesel engine + $2,000 for the automatic transmission.  All in all, it ends up being a $3,250 upgrade over a Wrangler with a Pentastar V6 and 8-speed automatic.   The diesel will only be offered in 4-door trims of Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon.  In the RAM 1500 with the same powertrain, highway fuel economy is rated for 30mpg. Expect the lighter but less aerodynamic Wrangler to match that once EPA numbers are finalized.
      Diesel Wranglers start down the production line in late November, but the order books are already open if you want to head down to the dealer and put your order in. 

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook