June '06 C&D Impala SS Roadtest

Relax. I am just pointing out that your judgements about cars are not that accurate (based on your judgements in this thread). No reason to get mad,, maybe you're just not a car person.

LOL - The O.C. has extensively driven just about every Make, Model, Model Year vehicle in the last 20+ years.

Not a car person, nah.

Well, before we scream "BIAS!", they loved the Grand Prix GXP.

Yeah.

Too bad the GXP torque steers like hell

Umm, no it doesn't. They did a test in C&D a while ago and it didn't torque steer much because GM put wider front tires on it which reduced torque steer and made it handle better.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/9964...d-prix-gxp.html

:pokeowned:

Yeah.

Oh? Read this then:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=106626

It seems odd that the two road tests had different experiences, but the point is that it exists.

Who would you rather believe? C&D or Edmunds? Edmunds probably didn't even drive the damn thing.

F_O_G SCREAMS: BIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ONLY reason the GXP was approved and the Impala panned is because of sales trends.

GXP cannot hold it's own, DESPITE their praise, against the competition. Impala, on the other hand, is lighting up the sales charts (And ESPECIALLY the SS--- as per GM press releases) therefore C&D decided to do the noble thing and bitchslap it around some (What a surprise---their timing is becoming impeccable) JUST like they did with the HHR, G6 and Lucerne.

:lol: Talk about conspiracy theory... :lol:

I test drove a GXP and was SHOCKED at the LACK of torque steer.

That's one thing GM is getting really good at managing.....

Yeah.

Relax. I am just pointing out that your judgements about cars are not that accurate (based on your judgements in this thread). No reason to get mad,, maybe you're just not a car person.

:lol: You are talking to a guy who has a C6 Vette. Yeah... not a car person. :lol:

samuel's IP is fine.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion about the way a car rides and handles. In samuel's opinion, the Impala SS may be fine, while in other members' opinions, it may not be. I have not driven one so I cannot say, but members need to respect the opinions of others and realize not everyone has the same wants and needs.

samuel's IP is fine.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion about the way a car rides and handles. In samuel's opinion, the Impala SS may be fine, while in other members' opinions, it may not be. I have not driven one so I cannot say, but members need to respect the opinions of others and realize not everyone has the same wants and needs.

Samuel can certainly like the SS better than the Passat. Like you said, everyone has an opinion and they are not all the same.

My whole rant was that his posts were structured to give the impression of "GM Kool Aid Drinking" and that he really hasn't driven the Passat....or given it a fair chance.

Maybe he really HAS driven both extensively.....and maybe he DOES really prefer the SS....if that truly is his opinion, then fine....

....but I just don't see it....having been in an SS...and TWO Passats (2.0T...my cousin's....and 3.6 V6 that I got to have for four days.) I don't HATE the Impala....I kinda like the car....but it's just simply not in the same class as the Passat...

Edited by The O.C.

Samuel can certainly like the SS better than the Passat.  Like you said, everyone has an opinion and they are not all the same.

My whole rant was that his posts were structured to give the impression of "GM Kool Aid Drinking" and that he really hasn't driven the Passat....or given it a fair chance.

Maybe he really HAS driven both extensively.....and maybe he DOES really prefer the SS....if that truly is his opinion, then fine....

....but I just don't see it....having been in an SS...and TWO Passats (2.0T...my cousin's....and 3.6 V6 that I got to have for four days.)  I don't HATE the Impala....I kinda like the car....but it's just simply not in the same class as the Passat...

i am just simply saying DO NOT TELL ME WHAT I THINK about a car. I KNOW what I think about what i drive.

the Impala SS is a nice CRUISER. its a cruiser with a v8 engine. with flat wide seats and soft suspension. nothin wrong with any of it. just not sporting at all.

To be fair, the W-body is about as old as I am, so of course they are going to float a bit-they were developed in the late 80s, back when handling isnt what it is now. I would think that an Impala SS still handles better than a Camry. Still, GM should get some credit for at least trying to make a sporty sedan. It is a nice placeholder for the time being until the 2009 model rolls out.

My 2002 Intrigue will blow any Camry I have driven out of the water for handling and that is a previous gen W-body on a shorter wheelbase. I have driven base and LTZ Impalas and they will out handle my Intrigue. The biggest defficiency of the W-body remains the tight back seat legroom and cramped headroom in the LaCrosse/Grand Prix versions.

Thanks, Reg.....I agree with you completely.

You know.....something as simple as GXP suspension-tuning and tire-technology would go a LONG way to improving the SS.....AND let's give the SS some decent seats, shall we?  (....think DCX SRT-8 seats, or even GTO seats....)

BUT in the end, there's only SO much you can do with such an ancient architecture....

I agree too. I really can't stand it when the little ones come in here and start quoting 0-60 times or what the rags said and think you are lying about a car you drove and spent time with. I do think that C&D like many other mags is biased to anything Asian as evidenced by there hardon reviews of the new Camry, which is a big dissapointment to many that have seen and driven them. Other than another overhype hybrid and a faster V6 it really hasn't Moved Forward much.

As I have said here before, eveyone on this board has biases - whether toward GM or toward imports, or whether they prefer "hard" or "soft" suspensions. There really is no wrong answer if we are at least comparing the same type of vehicle!

I just can't believe you guys are beating this topic of Passat versus Impala to death. Not only are these cars completely disimilar, it is extremely unlikely anyone shopping an Impala would consider the Passat and vice versa.

I grew up with big American cruisers (Chrysler 300s, the original '67 Caprice, etc.) My first car was a '67 Polara. I like big American cars. My biases are always toward big American cars. I would't be caught dead in a Passat: overpriced, rides like an old wooden roller coaster and cramped back seat, but that is my opinion.

I don't lose any sleep that no Chevy rides like a VW - look at how their sales have never caught on in North America. It would be nice if GM did produce some Pontiacs that handled and rode like the Jetta or Passat and go after that market accordingly.

In the meantime, Chevrolet should keep Toyota in its sights.

Posters here crack me up.  How many of you who complain about the handling of  the SS or the Impala in general have families?  This car in all its trims is all about hauling your family around with power, comfort and economy.  The Passat?  Get real.  And get your checkbook out for the many after-warranty repairs and special German parts.  Don't forget that even the base engines in many European cars require premium fuel.  I worshiped C&D's opinion when I was 12.  Now well into my 30s I understand that they understand very little about real world car ownership.  Who gives a $h! about "feel" and how many Gs you can do around a skidpad???  Not most buyers.  Bedard, Csere and especially Yates are a bunch of coddled shills.

Check out John McElroy's piece about Tyranny of the Enthusiasts for an eloquent elaboration:

http://wardsauto.com/commentary/tyranny_of_enthusiasts/

They may not care about the actual numbers, but they do care about how the car feels. My mom, which obviously has a family, rented a Galant(previous gen) and commented on how much better the steering felt than her Buick Lesabre. She is not a car enthusiast at all. People don't want floaty rides, family or no family.