Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

New York Auto Show: 2014 Buick LaCrosse

17 posts in this topic

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 25, 2013

This morning, Buick pulled back the curtain on the new 2014 LaCrosse that will be shown at the New York Auto Show later this week.

Outside, Buick designers put a lot of focus on the LaCrosse's front and rear ends. The front features a new oversized waterfall grille, LED-trimmed headlights, and Buick's signature hood vents being moved from the top to the side of the hood. The rear end sees reshaped LED taillights, full-width chrome trim on the decklid, and a new fascia design. LaCrosse V6 models get revised exhaust finishers.

Moving inside, the 2014 LaCrosse gets new seats, updated materials, and a redesigned center console that features less buttons (down from 17 buttons to 7). The latest version of Buick's IntellLink IntelliLink system graces the center stack's 8-inch touchscreen, and a set capacitive-touch climate controls are used to keep the interior simple and elegant. There is another 8-inch screen in the gauge cluster which is reconfigurable.

New for the 2014 LaCrosse is the Ultra Luxury Interior Package, which adds Sangria and Ebony colors to the interior as well as semi-aniline leather seating, a faux suede headliner, and real wood trim. Also available are a number of safety features including forward collision alert, lane departure warning, lane change alert, side blind zone alert, rear cross-traffic alert, collision preparation (with collision mitigation braking), full-speed-range adaptive cruise control, and the Safety Alert Seat.

Powertrains for the 2014 LaCrosse are carried over from the previous model. Base models come equipped with the 2.4L eAssist mild-hybrid system, while the 3.6L V6 is optional. Front-wheel drive is standard, while all-wheel drive can be optioned.

The new LaCrosse arrives at dealers later this summer.

Source: Buick

2014 Buick LaCrosse
Album: 2014 Buick LaCrosse
7 images
0 comments

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

I don't like the shape of the new tail lights, and how the outer edge points downward. Looks like something you would see from Japan or Korea. And I'll miss the gently sloping center stack compared to this more conventional, upright design, but overall its a very nice update and the interior still looks great. I like the new front end a lot. I also like that it will get optional real wood trim.

I think it is a good update, the front looks better now and I am generally not a Lacrosse fan. The trim upgrades on the interior are needed because I think the new Impala's interior is very we'll done and Buick needs to keep up. The back end does look a bit Hyundai Equus but I like it more than the current car.

Nice update for an already lovely sedan. I still wish for a nice retro two tone option broken at the sweep spear for a nice,elegant and timeless effect!

really don't think this freshened the car enough, even though the updates were helpful. They sort of had the chance to really do a lot more than the piddly changes they did. Most folks won't notice the new front or rear.

Interior console redo and actual decent steering wheel buttons are helpful, but the remainder of the interior is pretty much unchanged. I would have hoped for some plastics upgrades and a little less of a vast nothing dash or a tiny cowl over the gauges to get changed.

What LaCrosse does have to its advantage is optional AWD. Because the LaCrosse has it, the Impala won't get it.

What is most important now is that for the next three years while they milk these changes, that the packaging and pricing and rebates are all in place so people won't look at the newer Azeras, Avalons, and so many other competitors. I could see average transaction prices coming down on the Lacrosse to keep it selling.

The LaCrosse at least hides the Epsilon disease visually (narrowness) more than the others in GM's stable.

The venti ports, need to die.

Edited by regfootball
  • Downvote 2

Love the continued use of Ventiports, they're an intrinsic part of the brand. And cool, a red interior option.

• Upvote 1

I do think the Impala is the best big Epsilon 2. I think it looks the best is the best value, and has a well laid out interior. The Impala is better executed than the LaCrosse or XTS, the Impala just nails the sweet spot of the segment it is in, where as a car like the XTS is a bit of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and you can tell it is a stop gap product.

• Upvote 1

The exterior is a solid freshening. Like DF, I do not like the angle of the rear fascia but from the C-Pillar forward it's certainly an improvement. Nice new face. My gripe with this car is the interior which they seem to have made look cheaper through the use of that nasty nasty wood and less attractive looking plastics than the outogoing car. Not enough bling to my eye and way too much matte black plastic on the IP. While it's proportioned better than the XTS it just falls flat inside to my eyes, whereas Cadillac seems to be bringing its A-Game. As such my ranking of the EP-II cars are as follows.

1. Impala

2. XTS

3. LaCrosse

I like the original, angular headlights and smaller grille on my wife's LaCrosse better. This looks a lot like a Lucerne to me in the front.

The interior needed to be repackaged. While I liked the current design and materials, it suffers from a complete lack of storage (two coffees and a cell phone? nope.) i hope this new design includes some extra cubbies for cell, ipod, etc.

It's a good looking car, but doesn't really stir me. But it probably doesn't need to, this seems like something to compete with Lexus designs - soft, pretty, understated, not overly bold or exciting.

Over all I think this car will sell well for Buick. I am glad to NOT see a ton of chrome and bling in the dash or around the car. Over all pleasing design, but I do have to say that the Tail End has become very Asian in design. This one looks like a mad at you face.

Interior I like very much, great flowing dash, clean and not cluttery, big improvement on what it was.

I wonder if this fixes the disaster interior packaging of the 2010-2013 models some? Is there an overhead sun glasses holder? Is there cup holders in the doors? Is the center console's rear cubby large enough to hold something other than two packs of cigarettes? Is the center console less intrusive? It looks like they did nothing about the mail slot side windows but hopefully the A-pillars are smaller for better forward vision. I would also have liked to see the 2.4 replaced with the 2.5

Love the interior update. HATE the exterior update.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this