Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

New York Auto Show: 2014 Buick Regal

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 26, 2013

Alongside the 2014 LaCrosse, Buick is also showing the new 2014 Regal at the New York Auto Show this week.

The 2014 Regal's exterior gets minor changes including a reworked front fascia, scalloped headlights, and a full-width chrome strip spanning between the new LED taillights. Regal GS models get a more agressive front and rear end treatments, and nineteen-inch alloy wheels as standard equipment.

Inside, Buick got rid of the button-laden center stack and in its place is a eight-inch touchscreen housing Buick's IntelliLink infotainment system and and capacitive-touch controls for the Regal's climate control. The Regal and Regal Turbo models get a 4.2-inch color screen in the instrument cluster, while the Regal GS gets a eight-inch configurable gauge display.

One of the Regal's powertrains has been revised for 2014. The base 2.4L eAssist mild-hybrid system carries over. The Turbo and GS get a revised 2.0L turbo-four producing 259 horsepower and 295 pound-feet. The Regal Turbo and GS will also get all-wheel drive as an option. The system will be able to send more than 90% of the engine's torque to the rear wheels.

Like the 2014 LaCrosse, the 2014 Regal will have a list of optional safety equipment including forward collision alert, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, blind spot warning, rear cross-traffic alert, Following Distance Indicator, precollision warning (with collision mitigation braking), and adaptive cruise control.

The new Regal arrives at Buick showrooms later this fall.

Source: Buick

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

I like the new steering wheel, and i admit the new stack will be more functional, but to be honest, I really liked the Regal's current center stack and mess of buttons. It's not too confusing....plus the knob on the console. I really like the look of the GS current center stack maze of buttons.

AWD is something a lot of folks expect and the turbo option going to 260hp will make big sales jump I think. I am sure the lack of AWD manual GS will generate tons of bitching. TO be honest, I think that is a valid complaint. I would offer a manual turbo FWD non GS and make the GS manual option AWD only.

I think the eAssist either needs the 2.5 and a defeat switch, or just make the 2.5 the new standard mill. 2.4 plus eAssist, meh.

So the Turbo and the GS will now use the same engine? And they will both be available with AWD also? What will seperate these two models I wonder? And the AWD system having a RWD bias could be a good hint that the next genoration Regal will be based on the Alpha platform and in turn return to a proper RWD model!

So the Turbo and the GS will now use the same engine? And they will both be available with AWD also? What will seperate these two models I wonder? And the AWD system having a RWD bias could be a good hint that the next genoration Regal will be based on the Alpha platform and in turn return to a proper RWD model!

The GS will still have the Hi-Per strut suspension and Brembo brakes.

rear end is an improvement.

one of my peeves, the Regal had at least a pittance of German aura to it inside. Now it it seems to be getting the flowing mush look inside more like the LaCrosse.

Not saying the LaCrosse is bad, but both cars have gone in an interior direction that is less youthful.....more chrome and more akin to Lexus a few years ago. Mushy and soft.

Nice looking updated ride. I really like the center stack better than the old one. I like Drew dig the fangs on the GS. I actually like the two tone brown interior better than all black.

WHY WHY WHY in regards to the 2.4 e-Assist system??? This must be to satisfy some moronic Gov requirement for a hybrid as it is pathetic.

If they really wanted to give the Hybrid a jolt, then they should have rolled out the VOLT system on this car. That would have gotten peoples attention.

Course better yet would have been to roll out a Volt powertrain CUV for Buick.

Boring, looks like a Crysler 200. Still less powerful than a Sonata and not as fuel efficient. If the Regal were priced like a Malibu it would be a good buy, but it costs too much, that is why it doesn't sell.

After living with a Sonata for half a week it isnt in the same league as the Regal. The Sonata is a tinny buzz bomb by comparison. Compare the Regal to the VW CC. That is the target market, not some value leader family sedan that leases for $99 down $99 a month. Sonata does nothing class leading except provide the most passenger cubic inches for your dollar.

• Upvote 1

Boring, looks like a Crysler 200. Still less powerful than a Sonata and not as fuel efficient. If the Regal were priced like a Malibu it would be a good buy, but it costs too much, that is why it doesn't sell.

Plus is will never sell to you as it is not a MB. ;)

I love the Haldex system but I hope they keep the price in check.

Some how I suspect we may see some other engine option here for the GS once it is available. The Regal is in the squeezed middle and once they Lacrosse moves up it will give the Regal more room in 2 years. I just suspect the Lacrosse will make way for a Alpha RWD.

Nice updates on this one. I like the new rear end and interior. Front is different, I like it, but it seems just a change, not an improvement.

I wish I could see a cashmere interior with woodgrain. Wonder if this will get ambient lighting as well (as far as I know, the current doesn't have it). LOVE the update, inside and out.

It was probably the spokesmodel chick.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Chevrolet’s Retail Sales Outperform the Industry
      Retail Crossover Sales Soar at Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC; Commercial and Government deliveries up sharply DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported 245,387 deliveries in the United States in November, with large year-over-year increases in sales of Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC crossovers to individual “retail” customers.
      Chevrolet crossovers were up 16 percent, driven by a 59 percent increase for the Traverse, which had its best November retail and total sales ever. The Bolt EV had its best month yet. The Cadillac XT5 was up 11 percent. Buick crossovers were up 20 percent after Enclave deliveries more than doubled. Envision deliveries were up 2 percent. Buick’s new Avenir premium sub-brand is off to a strong start. About 30 percent of 2018 Enclave deliveries are Avenir models. GMC crossovers were up 11 percent, driven by a 4 percent increase for the Acadia and a 20 percent increase for the Terrain, which gained a full point of segment share month over month as availability grew. Overall retail sales were essentially equal to last November. Commercial and government deliveries were up a combined 7 percent, driven by a 30 percent increase in full-size pickup sales and a 35 percent increase for the Chevrolet Tahoe PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle). Total fleet sales were down 13 percent after a 24 percent reduction in daily rental deliveries. Total sales were down 3 percent.
      Crossovers, strong SUV sales and a record November for GMC Denali sales helped the company’s average transaction prices (ATPs) surpass $37,000 for the first time ever. GM’s ATPs were about $4,500 above the industry average and nearly $2,000 higher than any domestic competitor.
      Chevrolet Momentum
      Retail sales for Chevrolet were up 2 percent year over year, while the retail industry is expected to be up about 1 percent. It was Chevrolet’s best retail November performance since 2004.
      The brand’s strong year-over-year retail performance extended to passenger cars, SUVs and pickups, which helped the brand outperform the industry: 
      Colorado deliveries were up 18 percent for its best November ever. The Tahoe and Suburban were up a combined 12 percent. Chevrolet passenger cars were up 1 percent, with the Corvette, SS, Impala, Sonic and Spark all posting sharply higher sales.   Strong Economic and Sales Outlook
      “More vehicles are sold in December than any other month and we are very well positioned because we have momentum in so many segments, but especially in crossovers,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “When we close the books on 2017, GM will show very healthy inventory levels, significantly lower daily rental sales for the third year in row, and the best year in our history for crossover deliveries by far.”
      “U.S. economic growth has stepped up and we expect the momentum will carry over to 2018,” added GM Chief Economist Mustafa Mohatarem. “Employment continues to grow at a solid pace, wage growth will accelerate and consumer confidence just hit a 17-year high, so industry sales should remain strong.”
      Other November Highlights
      GM’s ATPs were up more than $650 from October and more than $1,400 from a year ago. GM is on track to close 2017 with significantly fewer vehicles in stock than it had in December 2016. GM’s November incentive spending was an estimated 12.9 percent of ATP, per JD Power PIN, which is in line with the industry average. Spending was down 0.3 percentage points from October and 0.8 points year over year.
    • By William Maley
      Currently, Buick only offers their upscale Avenir trim on only the Enclave crossover. But that will be changing in the coming weeks as the brand has announced the 2018 LaCrosse Avenir.
      The LaCrosse Avenir stands out from its brethren with new mesh grille inserts, chrome "wings", 19-inch wheels (20-inch wheels are optional), and Avenir badging. Inside, Buick went all out by using chestnut-brown leather upholstery, embroidered headrests, and special sill plates. Like the Enclave Avenir, the LaCrosse Avenir comes fully loaded with a Bose audio system, panoramic moonroof, and the 3.6L V6 with 310 horsepower. Optional equipment includes all-wheel drive, a suite of active safety equipment, and Dynamic Drive Package.
      Pricing will be announced closer to the LaCrosse Avenir's launch.
      Buick LaCrosse Avenir Makes World Debut
      Buick’s highest expression of luxury expands to flagship sedan LOS ANGELES ― With the arrival of the 2018 LaCrosse Avenir, Buick’s new sub-brand expands its offerings and provides customers a way to experience the highest expression of Buick luxury, regardless of whether they’re shopping for a car or SUV. First introduced with the 2018 Enclave that went on sale in October, Avenir features unique styling cues, an extensive set of standard features and exclusive premium materials for customers who want more.
      “Nine out of ten LaCrosse buyers are choosing one of the top two trim levels — customers are signaling they want more from Buick,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “With even more content and an elegant look, Avenir adds a unique name and appearance for those who want the best of our attainable luxury.”
      Like the Enclave Avenir, the LaCrosse Avenir’s design details were channeled from our award-winning concept cars for a more dramatic look, expressed through a unique three-dimensional mesh upper and lower grille paired with chrome wings. Avenir script badging on the front doors and exclusive 19-inch Pearl Nickel or available 20-inch Midnight Silver wheels create a commanding road presence and complement the LaCrosse’s timeless design.
      “Exterior styling is very important to LaCrosse buyers, and its sculpted beauty withstands passing trends,” says Bob Boniface, global director of Buick Exterior Design. “For Avenir, we focused on maintaining the timelessness of the LaCrosse, while giving these customers subtle and tasteful details that elevate this car to a new level.”
      Inside, Avenir-exclusive details include a Chestnut interior color theme, embroidered first-row headrests and Avenir-scripted sill plates.
      Features available on other LaCrosse models come standard on the Avenir, including a powerful 310-horsepower V-6, nine-speed automatic transmission, navigation and Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound premium audio, as well as a panoramic moonroof.
      Additional available features include Ebony interior, Intelligent Twin-Clutch AWD, Dynamic Drive Package featuring continuous variable real-time dampening control and a suite of advanced safety features.
      LaCrosse Avenir will arrive at dealers in early 2018.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Currently, Buick only offers their upscale Avenir trim on only the Enclave crossover. But that will be changing in the coming weeks as the brand has announced the 2018 LaCrosse Avenir.
      The LaCrosse Avenir stands out from its brethren with new mesh grille inserts, chrome "wings", 19-inch wheels (20-inch wheels are optional), and Avenir badging. Inside, Buick went all out by using chestnut-brown leather upholstery, embroidered headrests, and special sill plates. Like the Enclave Avenir, the LaCrosse Avenir comes fully loaded with a Bose audio system, panoramic moonroof, and the 3.6L V6 with 310 horsepower. Optional equipment includes all-wheel drive, a suite of active safety equipment, and Dynamic Drive Package.
      Pricing will be announced closer to the LaCrosse Avenir's launch.
      Buick LaCrosse Avenir Makes World Debut
      Buick’s highest expression of luxury expands to flagship sedan LOS ANGELES ― With the arrival of the 2018 LaCrosse Avenir, Buick’s new sub-brand expands its offerings and provides customers a way to experience the highest expression of Buick luxury, regardless of whether they’re shopping for a car or SUV. First introduced with the 2018 Enclave that went on sale in October, Avenir features unique styling cues, an extensive set of standard features and exclusive premium materials for customers who want more.
      “Nine out of ten LaCrosse buyers are choosing one of the top two trim levels — customers are signaling they want more from Buick,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “With even more content and an elegant look, Avenir adds a unique name and appearance for those who want the best of our attainable luxury.”
      Like the Enclave Avenir, the LaCrosse Avenir’s design details were channeled from our award-winning concept cars for a more dramatic look, expressed through a unique three-dimensional mesh upper and lower grille paired with chrome wings. Avenir script badging on the front doors and exclusive 19-inch Pearl Nickel or available 20-inch Midnight Silver wheels create a commanding road presence and complement the LaCrosse’s timeless design.
      “Exterior styling is very important to LaCrosse buyers, and its sculpted beauty withstands passing trends,” says Bob Boniface, global director of Buick Exterior Design. “For Avenir, we focused on maintaining the timelessness of the LaCrosse, while giving these customers subtle and tasteful details that elevate this car to a new level.”
      Inside, Avenir-exclusive details include a Chestnut interior color theme, embroidered first-row headrests and Avenir-scripted sill plates.
      Features available on other LaCrosse models come standard on the Avenir, including a powerful 310-horsepower V-6, nine-speed automatic transmission, navigation and Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound premium audio, as well as a panoramic moonroof.
      Additional available features include Ebony interior, Intelligent Twin-Clutch AWD, Dynamic Drive Package featuring continuous variable real-time dampening control and a suite of advanced safety features.
      LaCrosse Avenir will arrive at dealers in early 2018.
    • By William Maley
      Last month, General Motors announced an ambitious plan to launch 20 electric and hydrogen vehicles by 2023 with all of their brands playing a role. But Buick could be playing a prominent role in this plan.
      Duncan Aldred, vice president of sales and marketing at Buick-GMC tells Wards Auto that Buick will play a "huge part” in the coming years when it comes to EVs.
      “We will have multiple entries in a fairly short period of time. We’re GM’s biggest brand in the world’s biggest market. You’ll see a number of different technologies to go toward (our) zero-emissions objective,” said Aldred.
      That biggest market Aldred is referring to is China. In 2019, the country will require 10 percent of an automaker’s sales to be made up of low and zero-emission models. This rises to 12 percent in 2020. 
      “A lot of the electrification adoption will be driven by legislation.”
      Already, Buick sells a hybrid version of the LaCrosse and rebadged Chevrolet Volt as the Velite5 in China. Rumor has it that Buick is working on an electric crossover using the Chevrolet Bolt as a base.
      Aldred wouldn't go into what Buick's plan entails, only saying that will not only be electric vehicles.
      Source: Wards Auto

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Last month, General Motors announced an ambitious plan to launch 20 electric and hydrogen vehicles by 2023 with all of their brands playing a role. But Buick could be playing a prominent role in this plan.
      Duncan Aldred, vice president of sales and marketing at Buick-GMC tells Wards Auto that Buick will play a "huge part” in the coming years when it comes to EVs.
      “We will have multiple entries in a fairly short period of time. We’re GM’s biggest brand in the world’s biggest market. You’ll see a number of different technologies to go toward (our) zero-emissions objective,” said Aldred.
      That biggest market Aldred is referring to is China. In 2019, the country will require 10 percent of an automaker’s sales to be made up of low and zero-emission models. This rises to 12 percent in 2020. 
      “A lot of the electrification adoption will be driven by legislation.”
      Already, Buick sells a hybrid version of the LaCrosse and rebadged Chevrolet Volt as the Velite5 in China. Rumor has it that Buick is working on an electric crossover using the Chevrolet Bolt as a base.
      Aldred wouldn't go into what Buick's plan entails, only saying that will not only be electric vehicles.
      Source: Wards Auto
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook