Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

New York Auto Show: 2014 Jeep Cherokee

10 posts in this topic

William Maley    394

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 27, 2013

Last month, Jeep experienced a bit of a problem. Shots of their new vehicle, the 2014 Cherokee were leaked out to the internet. The shots were were not the most flattering and caused an uproar on the webs. To quell as best they could, Jeep released their own photos of the new Cherokee and said that more information would be revealed at New York. Well that time has come.

The Cherokee’s styling is either you love it or hate it. The front end is the main point of contention with its crimped seven-slot grille and stacked headlights. The back end features a rounded tailgate and unique bumper styling.

Under the skin, the Cherokee uses the Compact U.S. wide unibody platform that underpins the Dodge Dart. While not as rugged as the body-on-frame Cherokee, Jeep Cherokee will be able to tow up to 4,500 pounds with the available V6 engine and deliver off-road prowess Jeep is known for.

There will be two different engines available for the Cherokee, both going through a nine-speed automatic transmission.

• 2.4L TigerShark four-cylinder: 184 horsepower, 171 pound-feet of torque
  • 3.2L V6: 271 horsepower, 239 pound-feet of torque
Front-wheel drive will be standard on the 2014 Cherokee. There will also be three different four-wheel drive systems available as well.
  • Jeep Active Drive I - single-speed transfer case
  • Jeep Active Drive II - two-speed transfer case with low range
  • Jeep Active Drive Lock - low-range system with a locking rear differential
All of the systems include Selec-Terrain, which has five selectable modes like Snow and Sand/Mud to help optimize the powertrain cope with the driving conditions.

Inside, the Cherokee has room for five people, provides ten airbags, and a cargo space of 29.7 cubic feet. Available equipment includes a reconfigurable 7-inch screen in the instrument panel, an 8.4-inch touchscreen housing the infotainment system, and a self-parking system.

The new Cherokee arrives later this year.

Source: Jeep

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

ocnblu    733

Yeah, the Trailhawk seems semi-serious.

Blake Noble    146

If you'll notice, some of the new press shots for the KL Cherokee Limited show heavily tinted healight clusters versus those Chrysler released previously. Consider that a light form of damage control, since the stacked light arrangement has been one of the main sources of negative opinion for the KL. I wouldn't be suprised if the KL becomes a little more conservative for its mid-cycle refresh. For those of you who are quick to point out that it seems there are a fair amount of people who actually approve of the design, consider this for a moment: a majority of people who drank New Coke in the '80s actually liked the taste of the new formula, but it only took a relative minority of traditionalists to get the company to change the formula back to Coke Classic in just a short amount of time. Keep the KL on your radar; it's still a pivotal introduction for Chrysler and it still has yet to prove itself. :AH-HA:

Changing gears for a moment, since it seems that HMTL embedding of YouTube Videos has been disabled 'round here, here are two links to two YouTube videos showcasing the Trailhawk model off-road:

. Like I said previously, the KL's off-road capabilities may prove to possibly match those of the Land Rover LR2/Freelander, but they certainly will pale in comparison to what the old XJ could do. Don't just take my word for it, though. Watch the videos and judge for yourself. Edited by black-knight

dfelt    1,782

An ugly duckling is still an ugly duckling till it proves itself. This one I suspect will not change into a swan.

2QuickZ's    64

Overall I think it is a very nice package but I'm still not so sure what that front end will do for sales. My initial impression was shock but now that the pictures have been out there for a while and I have seen them a number of times, I have warmed to it a bit. I still think it looks odd but no longer think it is ugly. I guess that's something. On the plus side, the interior should be really nice and even though the torque numbers are pretty low for the 3.2L, I'm betting the 9 speed more than covers up its deficiency.

ocnblu    733

Very good videos. I'm still for Camp Cherokee. As someone said... interesting dark tint on the headlights.

regfootball    234

Everyone has their Aztec, thank God GM has gotten past theirs.

So they want to sell 250,000 units? Hmm!

Certainly fugly......however, it seems they did a reasonably nice job on the interior.

Perhaps if they change the front end and make it nice, it will do alright.

Cherokee still is a poor choice for this vehicle, raiding the good brand image/equity of something it is clearly not.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this