Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

New York Auto Show: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG

8 posts in this topic

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 27, 2013

Here is the 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG that debuted today at the New York Auto Show. For those who are wondering, it is the Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG shown at the Geneva Motor Show just with a sedan body over it.

Power comes from a 2.0L turbo-four delivering 355 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque. All of that power is channeled through a seven-speed dual clutch transmission and a 4MATIC all-wheel drive system. The run to 60 MPH takes only 4.5 seconds and reaches a top speed of 155 MPH.

The CLA45 AMG's suspension has been given a once over by AMG with more rigid suspension bushings and components plus specifically tuned spring and shock rates with larger stabilizer bars to keep the car flat when cornering. There is also a three stage stability control system on the CLA45 AMG.

Outside, the CLA45 AMG looks like Mercedes-Benz left a CLS63 AMG in the wash for a bit too long. AMG has put a more agressive body kit on the CLA including a unique front fascia and large wheels.

Moving inside, the CLA45 AMG comes with a set of supportive sport seats, 5.8-inch display screen with Mercedes mbrace2 technology suite, rain-sensing wipers, Bluetooth, and anthracite trim.

Pricing for the CLA45 AMG start at $48,375 and arrives at dealers this November.

Source: Mercedes-Benz

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

I don't like the black wheels, so hopefully the traditional 5 spoke silver AMG wheels are offered. The front wheel drive proportions let down the styling a bit, but I like the back end a lot on this car. Under $50k for an AMG car is nice also, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds was M5 territory a few years ago, even now that isn't far off from a Corvette or 911.

Nice looking car, statistics are impressive for a Turbo 4 banger, but still at 48K it is only a 4 banger. There are better options for this money from American makes.

This will truly only sell to those hung up on the MB label.

Nice looking car, statistics are impressive for a Turbo 4 banger, but still at 48K it is only a 4 banger. There are better options for this money from American makes.

You mean option, and the ATS-V isn't even out yet. So there really isn't any American luxury brand alternative.

My only real problem with it is for a RWD car that has a big and ungainly front overhang, and that navigation is literally a tacked on afterthought.

Mercedes-CLA45-AMG-Interior.jpg

You mean option, and the ATS-V isn't even out yet. So there really isn't any American luxury brand alternative.

My only real problem with it is for a RWD car that has a big and ungainly front overhang, and that navigation is literally a tacked on afterthought.

Mercedes-CLA45-AMG-Interior.jpg

I would have thought that MB would have at least used their own logo design for the circle vents. The whole dash is a mess of after thought.

While the ATS-V is not out yet, I still think for 48K you can get better American cars without the name or the cost that goes with repairs and maintenance. $48K I would rather have a Camaro or Mustang over this car.

That's not apples to apples though. I mean I could go buy a Mustang GT1000, but to even think it compares with a Bugatti Veyron because it makes 1000 horsepower would be hilariously asinine. No one would cross shop a Camaro and an AMG Mercedes

• Upvote 2

This isn't a RWD car, it is AWD, on a FWD platform. The NAv screen s weird, I don't know why it has that tacked on look. The only way that would be cool is if it were a detachable tablet that you could take with you.

And $48k for a 4-banger yes, but there are other cars over $40k with 4-bangers now and this car does 0-60 faster than a lot of V8 cars. It isn't really my cup of tea, but the people that bought a WRX or Evo 10 years ago and have money now may like this a lot.

Edited by smk4565

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this