Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

New York Auto Show: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro & Camaro Z/28

45 posts in this topic

By William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

March 27, 2013

Today at the New York Auto Show, Chevrolet introduced the new 2014 Camaro which features a narrower front end and revised rear end styling. These design changes add up to better aerodynamics and cooling. You still have the 3.6L V6 as the base engine, followed by the 5.7L V8 and 6.2L LSA supercharged V8.

However, the star of the 2014 Camaro lineup is the new 2014 Camaro Z/28 which is the most track capable Camaro ever built.

"We set out to make the fastest road-racing Camaro possible that was still street-legal. While the Camaro ZL1 offers exceptional performance on the street, the drag strip, and the track, the Z/28 is entirely focused on the track performance. The Z/28 will be too track-focused for most drivers, but offers road-racers one of the most capable track cars ever offered from an automaker,” said Camaro chief enginner, Al Oppenheiser.

The heart of the Z/28 is the 7.0L LS7 V8 engine. Chevrolet isn't revealing the official figures, only saying only that the Z/28 will deliver "at least 500 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque". A six-speed manual is the sole transmission. Other mechanical changes include a limited-slip differential, spool-valve dampers, stiffer springs, and Brembo carbon ceramic discs.

The Camaro Z/28 has also gone through a comprehensive diet, losing 300 pounds when compared to the ZL1. The diet included thinner rear glass, lighter wheels, smaller battery, removing the tire-inflator kit and sound-deadening material, and making air conditioning an option.

Outside, the Z/28 has a massive front splitter tied to a lift-curbing undertray to help with aero. Out back, a unique spoiler and diffuser help keep the Z/28 on the ground while at high speed.

Inside, the Z/28 comes with a matte-metallic finish trim named Octane, flat-bottomed steering wheel, and standard Recaro seats with microfiber suede inserts. One surprise in the Z/28 was the inclusion of a back seat. Chevrolet has modified it by eliminating the pass-through and using high-density foam.

The new 2014 Camaro arrives at dealers later this summer. The Z/28 comes out sometime in 2014.

Source: Chevrolet

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

It will be interesting to see the reaction here. It is geared for the true gear head but will those who want all the bells and whistles cry for more options? Will GM hold to their guns and limit the car to just the gear heads for two years.

I just hope sales are solid enough to let them do this formula even better on a lighter platform. I know they did a good job killing weight with the limitations but just think what they could do from the ground up on a all new Alpha.

Mark and company did good sticking to their guns but now they need the sales to back them up. If not they may get over ruled to do this on the next car. So for all those who have called for this kind of car it is time to pony up and support it with your purchase. GM did their part now do yours.

• Upvote 1

I think it will do just fine in the market, and yes, it bodes well for the Alpha version to come.

I wonder about a few things:

1) Did they kill the 1LE ?

2) How would a drag race of the Z/28 and the ZL-1 turn out?

EDIT: I do suspect that quite a few buyers will opt for the A/C - but I love that it is optional.

Edited by Camino LS6

1) Did they kill the 1LE ?

2) How would a drag race of the Z/28 and the ZL-1 turn out?

1. 1LE will be sticking around

2. Tough call since we don't the final performance figures on the Z/28. My guess would be the ZL-1 by a hair.

I like this exterior much better than the current car, I think. I'm surprised they made as big of styling changes as they did. If only they would have spent a little more money reworking the interior. That is where the biggest short coming is on the current car. Well, that and obesity but the Z/28 fixes that.

Neat to see the Z/28 name come back. Couldn't imagine not ordering A/C unless I was living in the Arctic Circle (or buying to use as a race car).

I just saw a rear-end pic, looks good from behind...a bit of a '69 styling cue in the 3 element taillights w/ a twist...

Yeah, I'm fine with the new look (except maybe the execution on the heat extractor in the hood).

Could do without the black wheels on the Z/28 - hopefully, they are optional.

Just fantastic. A true, serious sports car. Love the updates. The taillights should shut up the fools on the internet who are saying the new Stingray copied the Camaro. Absurd.

Those taillights do a great job of combining first-gen with late 2nd-gen cues. Love those! SOOOOO glad they didn't go with those uber cheesy Euro version tails. Those are so gay, in a bad way.

And I like the exclusive headlight shape of the Z/28 v. the SS, for example.

Edited by ocnblu

I wonder how the ZL-1 will look...or the base model. So this is using the Z06 engine or a variant there of, whilst the ZL-1 uses the ZR-1 engine...nice.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Unless I was racing the car it would have air. To go air less to be noble is nutz.

I would like to see GM do some kind of racing series with these cars or do a new kind of IROC on road race tracks. With the legal issues they would have to depend on mostly Indy, NASCAR and Daytona series for drivers already in Chevys. But that would give some big names.

Or get a bunch of retired drivers like Mario, AJ, Gurney, Bell, Stuck etc. It would be fun to see them out the.

• Upvote 1

There is no 5.7L V8 anywhere in this Camaro! The 6.2L V8 is the one used in non Supercharged SS and Supercharged ZL1 forms!

• Upvote 1

I remember as a kid in Ohio in the '70s-80s my folks and my brother had many cars without air, I remember riding around on vinyl seats w/ the window down (270 or 470 air, I heard it referred to as). People put up with a lot more hardships in the olden days, I guess...I couldn't imagine not having A/C today.

Unless I was racing the car it would have air. To go air less to be noble is nutz.

I would like to see GM do some kind of racing series with these cars or do a new kind of IROC on road race tracks. With the legal issues they would have to depend on mostly Indy, NASCAR and Daytona series for drivers already in Chevys. But that would give some big names.

Or get a bunch of retired drivers like Mario, AJ, Gurney, Bell, Stuck etc. It would be fun to see them out the.

I'd love to see a modern IROC series...

Z28 is a well done package. Doubt you will find one out there without the A/C at a dealer.

Not a fan of the the new front and rear though. And they didn't fix the crappy interior. Think of how long this car has languished with its killer exterior and amazing hardware, to be crippled with the junk interior design theme.

The new tail end kinda looks like the final generation Honda Prelude. I like it though. It, along with the new front treatment, is cleaner and less cluttered than the current car's.

The interior is not great but it could be worse. They did fix the shifter and wheel which were the worst points.

I just wished people would look at the big picture and understand this was mild refresh and that the new car should be here in late 2015 at a 2016. the money and time would be much better used in the new car.

As for now it is what it is and the new front and tail fascia along with the very good left over Vette engine with a Z28 package will just have to be enough.

At least now I can see they may going less retro with the future model as the new features are less retro dependent. No mistaking them for being Chevy but less dependent on trying to look like a 6768 or 69 Camaro. Time to move on. Time to move on and create new classics.

I'm still feeling lukewarm about the revised front fascia and taillights, however I do see this in the shape of the taillights (not the details):

188033d1247789693-fs-t-1974-camaro-type-

If you're looking for a hint — if there is one — as to where the Alpha F6 Camaro may be headed in this revision, I'd say this is that hint.

I don't really see that in the tails.

I see the change from the '67 to the '69 style more than anything else.

That said, I'd be very happy if the Alpha Camaro used second gen cues. (early second gen, that is).

The tail lights are a little mid 60's impala with a nod to the 2nd and 3rd gen in the slanted wrap.

It gives me hope the Alpha will be more of an original Camaro with just hints of the past.

The nose is Very Clean and almost has a hint of Pontiac about it to me with the side cuts. It just looks more aggressive than the usual Camaro nose. It looks as if you put a 77 beak in the center it would have made a nice BIrd.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this