GM searches for 200,000 mile club

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...=74&docid=25219

Chevrolet Announces Search for Most Dependable, Longest-Lasting Silverado Trucks

Husband and wife team search North America for most dependable, longest lasting full size Chevy pickup trucks!

DETROIT - The Chevrolet Division of General Motors today announced a nationwide search for the most dependable, longest lasting Chevrolet Silverado trucks on the road. Chevrolet is looking for personally owned Silverado trucks with 200,000 miles or more to join the Silverado 200,000 Mile Club. This outreach celebrates Silverado’s legacy of quality and endurance and hopes to capture stories that show the integral role these trucks have played in American life – from our farms to our factories, from our countryside to our cities.

Ed Peper, Chevrolet General Manager said, “Chevy Silverado owners have a strong bond with their trucks and are among the most loyal in the industry. We know they have stories to share about how a Silverado helped save the family farm, served as an impromptu delivery room or in some other way acted as a trusted partner. We know our customers love their trucks and we want to hear their stories.”

Helping with this quest are husband/wife journalists from the Trans-Americas Journey, Karen Catchpole and Eric Mohl. They are heading out this week for a year-long drive in their 2006 Chevy Silverado to reconnect with America. As they chronicle their adventures, they will also be searching the country to find the longest-lasting Chevy Silverados and their owners. Catchpole and Mohl commented, “We consider the Silverado to be our third Trans-Americas team member – both home and workhorse for the adventure ahead.” During their trip, they will include a travel journal and extensive photo gallery on their web site ( www.trans-americas.com ).

The Chevrolet Silverado is GM’s top selling vehicle and has earned its reputation for top-notch performance, dependability and quality. Chevy pick-up trucks were first built in 1918 and there are still millions on the road. Chevrolet is looking for personally owned, full size Chevy pickup trucks with 200,000 miles or more to join the Silverado 200,000 Mile Club at www.chevy.com/200k (You may also call 1-800-950-CHEV).

Chevrolet will acknowledge the top trucks and their owners at a major event at the Texas State Fair in Dallas, Texas, that begins on September 29 th, 2006, where Chevrolet will unveil the ALL NEW, 2007 Chevrolet Silverado.

About Chevrolet

Chevrolet is America’s No. 1-selling automotive brand. With the largest dealer network in the United States, Chevy is the leader in full-size trucks and the leader in sales of vehicles priced $35,000 and above. In addition, Chevrolet delivers more-than-expected value in every vehicle category, offering cars and trucks priced from $9,995 to $72,235. Chevy delivers expressive design, spirited performance and great value with standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles.

Chevrolet’s global headquarters is at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. For more information, go to www.chevy.com.

hrmm i see a nice comercial coming up soon...

i've talked with poeple who have had 180-190k miles and nothing but oil changes...

i've seen plenty of silverados in the 350k range still running like champs...

GM should really seek out the ones that have really lasted...

Well, what can I say, Chevy does have the most dependable trucks on the road. You can go over 100,000 miles easily and not have any problems. I'll say Fords will go up to around 80,000 miles and then things kind of start to fall apart, but Dodge is the worst. When the Dodges are new, they feel incredible, tight and everything, but after 60,000 miles things fall apart, a lot of those trucks are made with cheap materials. I love the Dodge commercial that states all the awards for its different vehicles, then when it gets to ram 1500 the guy says really fast "the longest lasting trucks on the road." What, no awards? Hm I wonder why. Don't take this out of context though, it also depends on your local weather conditions and how well you maintain the truck, but when you buy a Chevy you have a huge jumpstart on the competition.

I wish they had a Buick 200k+ mile club. Dad is at 196k on his '92 Roadmaster, and most people who see it refuse to believe it has anymore than 50-60k on it.

Matter of fact, anyone else seeing a similar opportunity here for ANY GM vehicle? I know the trucks have the beefiest image, but there's almost as many GM cars out there at the 200k mark or better...heck, I know 2 people personally with Fleetwoods like mine well over 350k and still mostly original, down to their untouched LT1's.

Hmm...I REALLY hope they can get some good commercials out of this :thumbsup:

Edited by caddycruiser

You know the old Caprice 77 and up was a good car that many saw over 200,000 miles.

Then the 88-90's W cars with many 150,000-250,000 miles My buddies GP just hit the 250K mark oon the original engine and tranny.

But one of the most underated cars of all time is the Berreta. They may have not been perfect but they alway started and would last for years. There are many still on the road here in the rust belt well past the last year of production.

Funny how you just don't see many old Honda's here still on the road.

My dad's '92 GMC Sierra lasted 340K+ before the engine got bad enough to need replaced. Then a used engine got put in, and it lived again. Not sure what happened after that - sold it. He has the base engine (4.?L - same as the S10), and didn't have to change any non-maintenance engine parts until about 310K miles, and I think that was just a timing chain or something. Though, when the engine did finally die, and they took it out, I guess the block fell apart in like 5 pieces. Still techincally ran like that... (before they took it out & it fell apart)

Edited by PurdueGuy

I remember I think it was Ford doing something like that once in a commercial, where they had this old pickup through most of the commercial towting how reiable the trucks were.

I have almost 208k miles on my ride...to bad it's not a truck.

...or a Chevy... lol

I will never no how many miles my car will have as for it has 6 digits including the 1/10 of a mile. so the highest it can go is 99,999[9].

Does this mean when it rolls around can i say 3 original miles?

But im witness to these trucks lasting. espeicaily early 90's chevy's they will last for ever. my )1 has around 70-80,000 not sure and only thing that was major was the driveshaft and rearend gears. (a yeah no coment on abuse).

I hope a sweet comerical comes from this.

I've ALWAYS thought GM should do a campaign like this...

Kinda like the Employee driven ads, except with individuals and thier vehicles and them talking up the RELIABILITY, DEPENDABILITY and GENERAL SATISFACTION of the vehicles...

It should be a MASSIVE campaign!!!!

Of course, the media would just take a dump on it.

The 1984 Buick Park Avenue I have my hands into has 260,000 miles. Far as I know it has the origional engine and maybe the origional transmission.

Me too. I've always hated those Toyota commercials that tout how many miles their cars go and that "80% of all Toyotas from such-and-such a date are still on the road." The "convenient" problem is they never actually compare this number to anyone else and the st00pid consumer would never question the statement. They'd just assume this number is somehow good.

I've ALWAYS thought GM should do a campaign like this...

Kinda like the Employee driven ads, except with individuals and thier vehicles and them talking up the RELIABILITY, DEPENDABILITY and GENERAL SATISFACTION of the vehicles...

It should be a MASSIVE campaign!!!!

Of course, the media would just take a dump on it.

Advertising like this could help change the public image of quality for the better.

Too many people don't understand a GM car or any other American car can go that far or long.

The truth is they can run this long and many Toyota's and Honda's don't make it this long.

This is what can change GM"s precieved quality with the non automotive types.

Me too. I've always hated those Toyota commercials that tout how many miles their cars go and that "80% of all Toyotas from such-and-such a date are still on the road." The "convenient" problem is they never actually compare this number to anyone else and the st00pid consumer would never question the statement. They'd just assume this number is somehow good.

The "80% of our vehicles statement are still on the road" argument is completely bs -- solely because the auto-market is always expanding - and a long-lasting brand will continually have better and better sales. Hypotehtically, let's take something like the Corolla:

Years 1-5 avg sales of 60,000 units/year = 5 x 60,000 = 300,000 units

Years 6-10 avg sales of 100,000 units/year = 5 x 100,000 = 500,000 units

Years 11-15 avg sales of 200,000 units/year = 5 x 200,000 =1,000,000 units

Years 16-20 avg sales of 260,000 units/year =5 x 260,000 = 1,300,000 units

So, over 20 years, the car has totalled 3,100,000 units

80% of that is 2,460,000 - which means:

Virtually all cars less than 10 years are on the road (which is what you'd expect if you make a half-way reliable car) - and little else after that would still be on the road. Not exactly steller, IMO. Two things to note about these numbers: (1) they are invented numbers to prove a point - I'm sure they are no-where close to actual Corolla sales, and (2) the numbers are intentionally not linear. A valid question to illustrate this would be: Why is there a 200k jump between years 1-5 & 6-10 and a whopping 500k jump between years 6-10 and 11-15? The answer would be that a new car wouldn't necessarly be trusted by the public immediately upon inception and that as the car grew in reputation, so did it's sales (upto a "saturation point" - which is why you'd see sales flatten out after a certain point).

As for long-lasting, check out this:

http://www.knfilter.com/news/news.aspx?ID=157

1 MILLION miles with 3 starters, 3 alternators, brake and oil jobs.

Well, what can I say, Chevy does have the most dependable trucks on the road.  You can go over 100,000 miles easily and not have any problems.  I'll say Fords will go up to around 80,000 miles and then things kind of start to fall apart, but Dodge is the worst.  When the Dodges are new, they feel incredible, tight and everything, but after 60,000 miles things fall apart, a lot of those trucks are made with cheap materials.  I love the Dodge commercial that states all the awards for its different vehicles, then when it gets to ram 1500 the guy says really fast "the longest lasting trucks on the road."  What, no awards?  Hm I wonder why.  Don't take this out of context though, it also depends on your local weather conditions and how well you maintain the truck, but when you buy a Chevy you have a huge jumpstart on the competition.

fords good for 80k? maybe in you little dream world. my brother maintains a 99 f350 s/d with over a half-million miles on it, and the only major failure was the water pump at 350k. it also has a e4od trans that has had nothing but fluid changes. there are an awful lot of ford trucks out ther with way over 300k on them, just take yor pro-gm blinders off. now, as for superhigh mileage jap trucks, yea right. around here in the rust belt they might make 100k before the body falls off.

This is the problem with general statements: there are always exceptions. My personal opinion is that anything can run forever with the right maintenance and attention to things. My point has really been that GM does not respond to these Toyota ads. Toyota is allowed to run slipshod over GM based on non-existant quality advantages. This is a war and GM should be attacking and going for the jugular.

fords good for 80k? maybe in you little dream world. my brother maintains a 99 f350 s/d with over a half-million miles on it, and the only major failure was the water pump at 350k. it also has a e4od trans that has had nothing but fluid changes. there are an awful lot of ford trucks out ther with way over 300k on them, just take yor pro-gm blinders off. now, as for superhigh mileage jap trucks, yea right. around here in the rust belt they might make 100k before the body falls off.

The Blazer Silverado I just sold probably had 269,000. It was at

least 169,000 esp. since the keys were just as worn as the ones

on my 190K+ 1968 Camaro.

I had 185K on the Fleetwood Brougham when I sold it with a

plugged up heater core. Now that LT is swapping in a SBC it will

probably hit the 1/2 million mark.

My 1983 Firebird had very close to 200K but it was not all

original, the Chevy crate 350 truck motor under the hood made

it fairly non-stock.

I've had a few other GM cars that approched 200K.

I think any car can make it to 200k but the question is how much repairs were required in order for it to get there?

I had a very bad GM related weekend. Saturday night I went to a party and was talking to a guy who was in the market for a new SUV, he has a 94 Safari an was thinking of getting an Equinox but is afraid of all the bad press GM is getting these days. I tried to put in a good word for the General then some asspicker at the table says all GM cars are junk and for him to stay away from them. I had had a few and decided I was going to stick up for the General and challenge this clown on his statements. Won't get into all the details but I can tell you I wanted to put this guy through the wall and I had a hard time sleeping that night.

Sunday I took a drive to see friends in upstate New York and two Chevy dealers in two different small towns have gone out of business since I was last there, Very discouraging. I get to my friends house and we get to talking about his 2001 Silverado ( he has about 5 cars) and it turns out his motor is knocking and he's trying to get them to cover it. I guess he won't be making it to the 200k club.

Then to top it all off I see on the news last night there has been a class action law suit filed against GM Canada for the intake manifold gasket problems on the V6 engines and I thought I hope the lawyers take them to the cleaners for this cause I know so many people who had this problem and GM just looked the other way. Then I was wondering why was I sticking up for this company?

Edited by I hope GMRULES again

Well I just got a brand spankin new tranny in my G6 so I should be good for 200,000 miles at least. But I have plenty of kills to brag about (Yes, even some 3 series Brats) The best part is that my total costs for my car have been um, let's see...

ZERO Dollars :ohyeah: ]

Not bad for drivin the hell out of it for 53,000 miles already. I'm shootin for half a million if I can (And plenty more kills)...

Try doing that in your crappy import!!!

PS. Current mpg average is over 30 :ohyeah: ! Meanwhile, gas prices have just hit 2.90 :angry: so I think I am going to drive a bit more leisurely till the prices drop some. But I am so loving this car.

Edited by Domesticated

Well I just got a brand spankin new tranny in my G6 so I should be good for 200,000 miles at least. But I have plenty of kills to brag about (Yes, even some 3 series Brats) The best part is that my total costs for my car have been um, let's see...

ZERO Dollars  :ohyeah: ]

Not bad for drivin the hell out of it for 53,000 miles already. I'm shootin for half a million if I can (And plenty more kills)...

A new tranny for a G6 already? Do you kick the crap out of it?

Um...your G6 only made it to 53k miles before youneeded a new tranny?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My Shadow is at almost 208,000 miles and it's go the original tranny! You brag so much abou how you think the G6 is better than every car and it already had a tranny replaced? My friend has a Corolla with 150,000 miles and the tanny is fine. Oh man, that's rich. Don't ever go telling me how great that car is again, for I will probably pass out from laughing. :rotflmao:

Our old `69 Baracuda has the original tranny too.

Edited by Dodgefan

A new tranny for a G6 already? Do you kick the crap out of it?

I drive it hard, like I have all my other cars. I have plenty of kills to show for it though, including a Boxster (base) that I trashed this morning on rt 95. I am going to be a bit more leisurely though now that the gas prices are so out of control :angry: .

Don't worry, this hasn't spoiled my impression of the G6. I love the car, and I believe it is still best in class (and even some classes above 8) )

Um...your G6 only made it to 53k miles before youneeded a new tranny?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

My Shadow is at almost 208,000 miles and it's go the original tranny! You brag so much abou how you think the G6 is better than every car and it already had a tranny replaced? My friend has a Corolla with 150,000 miles and the tanny is fine. Oh man, that's rich. Don't ever go telling me how great that car is again, for I will probably pass out from laughing.  :rotflmao:

Our old `69 Baracuda has the original tranny too.

I'm sure if I drove like my Grandma, I'd get 200,000 miles too Dodgefan. But I DRIVE my car, not ride in it. And so what, I got it fixed for nothing.

69 Mopar, awesome ride (Ah the days when Chrysler was a true American company :( )

I'm sure if I drove like my Grandma, I'd get 200,000 miles too Dodgefan. But I DRIVE my car, not ride in it. And so what, I got it fixed for nothing.

69 Mopar, awesome ride (Ah the days when Chrysler was a true American company :( )

Granted, I'm sure your car has a much higher handling and speed threshhold tan mine (unless it were the 2.2 Turbo), but i don't drive it like an old lady. I always go past the speed limit (10-25 mph over...just don't tell the cops). This car has handled steep hills and ough weather all it's 17 year life, and has never needed anything more than fluid for the tranny.

We also have a `70 `Cuda, but it's not really road worthy righ now. and the `69 would be murder on t he wallet with gas prices where they are.

Granted, I'm sure your car has a much higher handling and speed threshhold tan mine (unless it were the 2.2 Turbo), but i don't drive it like an old lady. I always go past the speed limit (10-25 mph over...just don't tell the cops). This car has handled steep hills and ough weather all it's 17 year life, and has never needed anything more than fluid for the tranny.

We also have a `70 `Cuda, but it's not really road worthy righ now. and the `69 would be murder on t he wallet with gas prices where they are.

A buddy of mine had a Plymouth sundance that lasted over 200,000 with minimal maintenance. Great car... minimalist, but reliable.

Love those old Mopars :yes: .

A buddy of mine had a Plymouth sundance that lasted over 200,000 with minimal maintenance. Great car... minimalist, but reliable.

Love those old Mopars  :yes: .

I didn't like the grill the Sundance got, but at least it lasted for him. Did it doe or did he just sell it off? Mine is going wrong with only a minor leak and a bad catallitic converter (which I won't change until I absolutely need to). Also it's A/C won't turn on, probably something electrical was broken in the accident, gonna try and fix it Friday.

See? It's possible to have a conversation with you, I just wish you'd be more open to more than just Domestics. They do make good cars, even if some are overrated. I prefer Domestic like you, but if a car is good then it doesn't matter who makes it.

I wish they had a Buick 200k+ mile club.  Dad is at 196k on his '92 Roadmaster, and most people who see it refuse to believe it has anymore than 50-60k on it.

Matter of fact, anyone else seeing a similar opportunity here for ANY GM vehicle?  I know the trucks have the beefiest image, but there's almost as many GM cars out there at the 200k mark or better...heck, I know 2 people personally with Fleetwoods like mine well over 350k and still mostly original, down to their untouched LT1's.

Hmm...I REALLY hope they can get some good commercials out of this :thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing! My Roadmaster has 221,000+ on the clock. Just picked it up today from having a tuneup, brakes, etc.

My GMC won't qualify though. "Only" has 138,000+ on the odo. Give me a few more years GM!

I agree this would be an awesome marketing campaign for GM. That is IF they can manage to not screw it up!

PS. Current mpg average is over 30  :ohyeah: ! Meanwhile, gas prices have just hit 2.90 :angry:  so I think I am going to drive a bit more leisurely till the prices drop some. But I am so loving this car.

shoot, i treat my workbeater 91 grand marquis (with 230k and counting-original trans) as hard as any cop treats a crown vic. no failures. zero.i don't care how hard you are on your g6 but 53k with a trans failure is absolutely inexcusable. period. no exceptions. that being said, for the most part gm has very reliable transmissions.

Hell my father has 3 Silverados with an excess of 200k on them. Well, one is a GMC , the other 2 are Silverados.

All 3 have been great trucks, only routine maintenance have been done on them.

Personally, my 91 S-10 I sold back in 02 had 265k on it, and the only major things I replaced on it was the radiator and the alternator. Besides that, everything else was regular maintenance.

My current 03 S-10 which I bought in october of 02 has 103 k on it already and I've had zero problems. 8)

Edited by Brandon Lutz

my 89 Sunbird taught me that lesson pretty quickly.

I used to abuse my first car this way... funny thing is

it was a 1994 Sunbird SE coupe. I also used to rally

race it down dirt roads. :ph34r:

As far as ANY car making it to 200,000miles I guess

that's true. It just so happens if that car is a KIA it

will need a little more maintenance like say, a new

transmission every 25,000 miles or so. I think to

a lesser degree this is also true for Tauruses,

Winstars, Escorts, Cravans, Intrepids, & pretty

much any Mitsubishi ever made with an A.O.D.

Well, I can add to those box scores;

'88 Astro - rebuilt @ 167,000. Still going now @ 313,000.

'95 Astro AWD - sold @ 187,000 w/ all orginal stuff except Alt. & fuel injection

octopus.

'00 Astro - traded in @ 96,000 mi. for current Chrysler T & C, 'cause GM stopped making a true minivan!

'95 Caprice Classic 9C1, ex-FBI car --- has 188,850 on it as of this morning.

Has only needed major tune & brakes since I got it at 144,000.

:rolleyes:

Classic one - 1962 Buick Special w/ all-alum 3.5L engine - traded @ 96,000

for a '67 Mustang GT, cause I got tired of putting tires on it! But it still was only costing 2.2 cents a mile to drive!

I really don't think they should just limit it to Silverados, unless they are prep'ing a commercial campaign for the GMT900s.

Hmm...very good though there. Wonder if they might have something like that in the works?

Hmm...very good though there.  Wonder if they might have something like that in the works?

according to edmunds, or at least its how i took it... the first auto show to debut the silverado GMT900 will also include the truck they find with the most miles to show how long lasting it is... (i'm sure they'll prep the 20 year old truck for an audiance but...)

I've got absolutely NO idea how many times the odometer on my old 67 C-10 has rolled over. Probably at least twice and it STILL has original stright six in it (at least for now)

I pretty much expect any GM truck I own to last me at least 200K miles. They've never let me down.

Hmm, I have to check with my brother to see what his 90 GMC 1 ton dually and 95 GMC 1/2 ton are at.