Some Questions...

Alright, I'm quite serious about wanting to buy that BMW 318ti. My parent's aren't turned off by it, either. However, I need to find a way how... I talked to my Grandpa about co-signing a loan for me, but he thinks I have to be 18. I know I have to be 18 to get a loan, but what if I have a co-signer? Do I? Even to with someone to co-sign? That and and the other issue is insuring and registering it. First off, would I be able to register it at my age? If I can, would the car be able to be on my parents insurance plan, although registered under my name?

Anyways... would I be better off just to convince my parents to just get the loan, but I'll pay it?

Any help is appreciated as I am thoroughly sick of not having a car or a job and I want this BMW... BADLY. In case you are wondering, the GA is in the garage with the engine torn apart. I nor my dad can't really find what's wrong with it. We can't find anything wrong with the headgasket, nor anything else. However, the head is slightly warped. I do not want to put any more goddamn money into the thing... and my parent's don't exactly either since they also need a car. So... I don't see it getting fixed unless one of you guys come to my place and fix the damn thing. That, however, will not convince me to not get the BMW. :P The GA will just turn into a winter beater, if we can afford the insurance, which I doubt. So.. I'll probably just end up selling it anyways or chancing it without insurance (a bad idea, I know...).

Help! :CG_all:

What kinda car do you have again?

Anyway I'm not sure if you have to be at least 18 to apply for a loan, I thought it was 21 myself. Butthen The only loans I've delt with are college loan ^^; My best advice would be to try looking up loan info (behold the power of google).

I actually want a new car too, so my poor car can take it easy (plus I want more room and power) My goals are less loft thouh, lol. I was thinking a 1999-2004 Intrepid...or maybe a first gen Stratus. But I need money for that first lol. For now I'm happy with my Shadow though, but my family could use a second car (van's not on the road, no one wants to spend the gas money on the Barracuda).

What kinda car do you have again?

I have a 95 Grand Am GT coupe... with a Quad4 and a 5spd. :P The engine is a POS.

You don't have to be 18 with a co-signer. But, getting a job first might be a good idea.

Yeah... I thought it would. Honestly, though, with the only vehicle in my house-hold being my dad's company truck... with my mom bumming rides to work... I can't see myself getting a job until atleast one of us gets a car. We live out in the country too, so she can't always find a ride... I couldn't imagine finding one for myself. So... hopefully I can make it clear that I intend to get a job directly after I get the car, when I would apply for the loan. Either that, or hope my parents could get the loan for me.

I have a 95 Grand Am GT coupe... with a Quad4 and a 5spd. :P The engine is a POS.

Yeah... I thought it would. Honestly, though, with the only vehicle in my house-hold being my dad's company truck... with my mom bumming rides to work... I can't see myself getting a job until atleast one of us gets a car. We live out in the country too, so she can't always find a ride... I couldn't imagine finding one for myself. So... hopefully I can make it clear that I intend to get a job directly after I get the car, when I would apply for the loan. Either that, or hope my parents could get the loan for me.

Then I would suggest a cheap car to get you to work so you can save to get the Bimmer. I saw a Shadow for $775 bucks, but I know you can get them cheaper. You could get a Cavalier too if you'd prefer. From personal experience I can tell you both cars are good, cheap, reliable cars. The Shadow is probably a lot cheaper, so it'd be easier to get sooner.

Then I would suggest a cheap car to get you to work so you can save to get the Bimmer. I saw a Shadow for $775 bucks, but I know you can get them cheaper. You could get a Cavalier too if you'd prefer. From personal experience I can tell you both cars are good, cheap, reliable cars. The Shadow is probably a lot cheaper, so it'd be easier to get sooner.

Don't ever talk to me again... :P

I got a cheap car once... my Grand Am. It was in great condition... Looked perfect, drove perfect, and ran perfect. Well, look at it now. I'm not going down that road again. Period. Too much of hassle and you end up putting more money into it than you wanted. I want a reliable and fun car... and not a cheap one as I'm willing to bet it's going to be another POS. And I wouldn't buy a Crapalier anyways... I know too much people with POS's, including my uncle who at one time had 5 different Cavaliers. :D

Besides... that BMW is only $5k. And I'm selling my ATV... once it's sold, I could pay more than half of the loan off.

Don't ever talk to me again... :P

I got a cheap car once... my Grand Am. It was in great condition... Looked perfect, drove perfect, and ran perfect. Well, look at it now. I'm not going down that road again. Period. Too much of hassle and you end up putting more money into it than you wanted. I want a reliable and fun car... and not a cheap one as I'm willing to bet it's going to be another POS. And I wouldn't buy a Crapalier anyways... I know too much people with POS's, including my uncle who at one time had 5 different Cavaliers. :D

Besides... that BMW is only $5k. And I'm selling my ATV... once it's sold, I could pay more than half of the loan off.

get a Shadow 2.2 Turbo, cheap, reliable, fun (I've driven one, it's got kick). 5k isn't bad at all, but you gotta know that BMWs aren't the most reibale either :P. Besides, if ou spend a few hundred on a Shadow or whatever, that's a quick fix to your car problem, allows you to get a job sooner and faster, thereby aloowing you to get the car you really want faster. If you can get a loan and get the BMW, then sweet, just get a job ASAP afterwards :P

And remember: nearly 208k miles on my Shadow...it's damn reliable :P

I got a loan when I was 16 for my first car...my dad co-signed with me, so i was still able to keep it on his insurance plan. When i was 18 I bought another car and got a loan by myself. It wasn't to hard actually, but I bank at a small local bank so I think that is why. They guy I bank with has been my dads banker for years.

I would say if you are serious about it, you should try to get you parents to cosign with you, then you could keep it under there insurance plan. When I bought my first car it was much cheaper for me to insure it under my parents than by myself, becuase I had a bad speeding ticket when i was 15. I don't know how it would be for you...I would check into it.

get a Shadow 2.2 Turbo, cheap, reliable, fun (I've driven one, it's got kick). 5k isn't bad at all, but you gotta know that BMWs aren't the most reibale either :P. Besides, if ou spend a few hundred on a Shadow or whatever, that's a quick fix to your car problem, allows you to get a job sooner and faster, thereby aloowing you to get the car you really want faster. If you can get a loan and get the BMW, then sweet, just get a job ASAP afterwards :P

And remember: nearly 208k miles on my Shadow...it's damn reliable :P

I know people with over 300k miles on Grand Ams like mine... it doesn't mean $h!. :lol::D

I got a loan when I was 16 for my first car...my dad co-signed with me, so i was still able to keep it on his insurance plan.  When i was 18 I bought another car and got a loan by myself.  It wasn't to hard actually, but I bank at a small local bank so I think that is why.  They guy I bank with has been my dads banker for years. 

I would say if you are serious about it, you should try to get you parents to cosign with you, then you could keep it under there insurance plan.  When I bought my first car it was much cheaper for me to insure it under my parents than by myself, becuase I had a bad speeding ticket when i was 15.  I don't know how it would be for you...I would check into it.

Yeah... that's exactly why I want it on my parent's insurance plan, even though my record is completely clean.

dodgefan im pretty sure he made it clear he doesnt want a shadow... why are you trying to push it so much?

BV... good luck with evrything man... hopefull youll be able to figure out the loan situation an get that car... tho im confused... you said your family only has one car now? how is buying one car going to solve the problem when there are 3 drivers? someone will still be bumming rides... unless your mom gets home from work right around when you get home from school... then i guess itd work

BV... good luck with evrything man... hopefull youll be able to figure out the loan situation an get that car... tho im confused... you said your family only has one car now? how is buying one car going to solve the problem when there are 3 drivers? someone will still be bumming rides... unless your mom gets home from work right around when you get home from school... then i guess itd work

Um... what? The only running vehicle we have is my dad's company truck, which isn't his. Me and my mom are both looking for a vehicle... since she totalled her's and mine is sitting in pieces in my garage while me and my dad have no idea what the hell to do with it. :P

Anyways, tomorrow, we will have two. My mom bought a car. Not my first pic, but it's not a bad car... it's a dark blue 2002 Sunfire GT with a 5spd.

Well, can someone tell me FOR SURE about the whole loan situation? For my state... do I have to be 18 to get a loan, even if I have a co-signer? No "I think"s... I want actual proof. Show me something.

I'm really mixed on the issue. Why can't you wait? I drove a hand-me down Cutlass Supreme. There will always be cars that you will find to your liking. Also, those pups are expensive to work on. Can't you just run yours into the ground and then make the purchase when you have more moolah and a more stable college or employment picture?

I'm really mixed on the issue.  Why can't you wait?  I drove a hand-me down Cutlass Supreme.  There will always be cars that you will find to your liking.  Also, those pups are expensive to work on.  Can't you just run yours into the ground and then make the purchase when you have more moolah and a more stable college or employment picture?

1, a perfect 318ti I can afford won't always be there. 2, mine's in pieces sitting in the garage while neither me nor my dad can fix the damn thing. 3, School, college, and a job and all fuzzy right now, check back in a year.

Plus.... I can't help it. I hate $h!. I don't want to drive $h!.

1, a perfect 318ti I can afford won't always be there. 2, mine's in pieces sitting in the garage while neither me nor my dad can fix the damn thing. 3, School, college, and a job and all fuzzy right now, check back in a year.

Plus.... I can't help it. I hate $h!. I don't want to drive $h!.

but...you do realize BMWs break down a lot right? More often than any domestic. And they are expensive to fix. So even though you're buying it cheap, when it comes time to repair something, it'll cost ya big.

I'm just expecting a better car than my GA... only Blazers could be less reliable. I mean... I only drove it for three months until the major problems arised. Considering I've had the car for a year and a half... yeah... entirely too long to just drive it three months. Besides, if we can ever fix the damn thing, I'm not turned off to driving it again. Still... It's a stupid engine that mysteriously doesn't run correctly. I don't hate the car... I just hate the POS of an engine. :P

Anyways, I'm not expecting a 100% problem free car... my top choices are BMW 318tis, Mazda Miatas, and Nissan 240SXs... not exactly three cars reknown for reliability or anything. Plus, I'm not expecting mileage to be under 100k, so that adds to it. I mainly want a fun car that happens to be good on gas. That's top priority... meaning RWD, manual tranny, and a 4cyl engine. Anything else, forget it for now. Doesn't have much to do with reliability or what brand makes it. Those three things are a must and if Pontiac would have made one in the 90s, I'd most likely buy it.

Edited by blackviper8891

But dodgefan brings up a very good point. You said you wanted a good reliable car, that wasn't like your GA. That BMW you have your heart set on isn't really the perfect choice. BMW's aren't very famous for their reliability. Prestige, yes. Wow factor, yes. Sportiness, yes. Reliablity, absolutely not. Your GA gave you a good means of transportation for a while, and that's great, but I don't think that the Bimmer will last you much longer. In a year or so from now (maybe longer depending on how you treat it), it may occupy the very spot your Grand Am is in right now, in just the same shape. And even if you do take it to a mechanic, service and parts are extremely expensive, just for the fact that it's a BMW. I also should mention that 80's and 90's BMW's are absolute death traps in an accident.

I would seriously go for a better used car. Shop around for cheaper things that you know are going to be reliable (A J-Body or shadow will not be reliable, trust me).

I realize this'll sound sorta loony coming from me (Suggesting a Ford and all), but if you want a sporty, reliable car, that is good on gasoline, I'd suggest getting one of the last generation Cougars (the little ZX2-based hatchbacks) I still see zillions of them on the road every day, and how many years has it been since they stopped making them? I know it isn't RWD, but they are supposedly reliable and very fuel efficient. this is just a suggestion though (first thing that popped into my head).

The RWD thing sort of limits you down. There isn't really much of anything that was made in the past fifteen years that was reliable, RWD, and economical. Is rear-drive really that important? For someone in your position, I'd really just be happy to have a good clean reliable car. If that be the case, look into a Ford Thunderbird SC (here I go with the Fords again), I can't imagine they'd be too great on gas though because they're large, heavy, and supercharged. The LX Thunderbirds have V8's, so you know to steer clear of them if fuel economy is a priority. However, the N/A V6 Thunderbirds could work. I'm not sure of the gas mileage on those things but I don't think they'd be better than any 4-cylinder, less power moving the same amount of weight a V8 could move easily and everything.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the Bimmer. There'll be other cars that can serve your purpose a lot better. I'd also ditch that RWD mandate, because it does severly limit your options. Pick up an auto trader and leaf through that a while.

Edited by Turbojett

Yes, you can get a co-signed loan in PA.

Yes, that BMW will hurt you in repair/maintenance costs.

Yes, there will always be another car out there to grab your fancy.(although I understand the obsession with the one you've found.

Buy a cheap, low mileage, old American cruiser to beat to death and get a job so you can save some cash for the next prize find you see along the road.

Whenever I needed cheap transpo quick, I found some old folks with one-owner Olds sedans. They are usually well-maintained and can be beaten without a ton of repairs and are very reliable. I also was able to re-sell them easily when I moved on to something nicer.

But dodgefan brings up a very good point. You said you wanted a good reliable car, that wasn't like your GA. That BMW you have your heart set on isn't really the perfect choice. BMW's aren't very famous for their reliability. Prestige, yes. Wow factor, yes. Sportiness, yes. Reliablity, absolutely not. Your GA gave you a good means of transportation for a while, and that's great, but I don't think that the Bimmer will last you much longer. In a year or so from now (maybe longer depending on how you treat it), it may occupy the very spot your Grand Am is in right now, in just the same shape. And even if you do take it to a mechanic, service and parts are extremely expensive, just for the fact that it's a BMW. I also should mention that 80's and 90's BMW's are absolute death traps in an accident.

I would seriously go for a better used car. Shop around for cheaper things that you know are going to be reliable (A J-Body or shadow will not be reliable, trust me).

If I wanted reliability, I'd get a Camry. Heh... obviously not.

I realize this'll sound sorta loony coming from me (Suggesting a Ford and all), but if you want a sporty, reliable car, that is good on gasoline, I'd suggest getting one of the last generation Cougars (the little ZX2-based hatchbacks) I still see zillions of them on the road every day, and how many years has it been since they stopped making them? I know it isn't RWD, but they are supposedly reliable and very fuel efficient. this is just a suggestion though (first thing that popped into my head).

Well, they are actually Contour based, FYI, but no...

The RWD thing sort of limits you down. There isn't really much of anything that was made in the past fifteen years that was reliable, RWD, and economical. Is rear-drive really that important? For someone in your position, I'd really just be happy to have a good clean reliable car. If that be the case, look into a Ford Thunderbird SC (here I go with the Fords again), I can't imagine they'd be too great on gas though because they're large, heavy, and supercharged. The LX Thunderbirds have V8's, so you know to steer clear of them if fuel economy is a priority. However, the N/A V6 Thunderbirds could work. I'm not sure of the gas mileage on those things but I don't think they'd be better than any 4-cylinder, less power moving the same amount of weight a V8 could move easily and everything.

Again, I'm serious about 4cyls and RWD. Nothing other than that. Period. That also means compact sized cars. And a Ford? Sorry...

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about the Bimmer. There'll be other cars that can serve your purpose a lot better. I'd also ditch that RWD mandate, because it does severly limit your options. Pick up an auto trader and leaf through that a while.

Heh... no, no, and... uh... NO. I know what I want. RWD, 4cyl, 5spd in a compact 2-door. That limits me to... That 318ti, 240SXs, and Miatas. In that order, too. I just want a fun car that'll be small and good on gas. Reliability? Heh... all three will still be better than my GA, hands down. They definitely have better engines... and that is my only worry with reliability.

This thread isn't called "Change My Mind", you know...

Yes, you can get a co-signed loan in PA.

Okay, that's good. Proof, though?

Yes, that BMW will hurt you in repair/maintenance costs.

Like I didn't know that...

Yes, there will always be another car out there to grab your fancy.(although I understand the obsession with the one you've found.

Always is, but this is the first one that's actually been closer than 200 miles away, being in Brookville.

Buy a cheap, low mileage, old American cruiser to beat to death and get a job so you can save some cash for the next prize find you see along the road.

Whenever I needed cheap transpo quick, I found some old folks with one-owner Olds sedans. They are usually well-maintained and can be beaten without a ton of repairs and are very reliable. I also was able to re-sell them easily when I moved on to something nicer.

I'm not buying a car to beat on... I never beat on my GA, and I don't plan on beating on my next car. I love cars, I don't beat on them. And again... do those fit my criteria? No. Small car, 2 doors, 4cyl, 5spd, and RWD. I want a fun car, not a boat.

Alright, guys... stop trying to convince me to get a different car... It's worthless blabber. :D Edited by blackviper8891

We're simply trying to explain how that Bimmer isn't the idea car for you right now. You're going o be taking out a 5k loan without any current means to pay it back, it's for a car that will be ar less than reliable, and when it breaks down, you'll blow your money in parts alone, not to mention labor costs. It's a nice car, although I'd prefer the sedan, but there's other cars out there. You know it won't be the last BMW for sale, you can always buy it once you've saved and have the actual mobey for it and fr repairs that will crop up. And don't bet on the Bimmer being more reliable than the GA.

Your biggest problem is that you don't have a job right now. Which is a major setback. You should get a cheap car, get a job, get some money, then buy the Bimmer.

Edited by Dodgefan

We're simply trying to explain how that Bimmer isn't the idea car for you right now. You're going o be taking out a 5k loan without any current means to pay it back, it's for a car that will be ar less than reliable, and when it breaks down, you'll blow your money in parts alone, not to mention labor costs. It's a nice car, although I'd prefer the sedan, but there's other cars out there. You know it won't be the last BMW for sale, you can always buy it once you've saved and have the actual mobey for it and fr repairs that will crop up. And don't bet on the Bimmer being more reliable than the GA.

Your biggest problem is that you don't have a job right now. Which is a major setback. You should get a cheap car, get a job, get some money, then buy the Bimmer.

Look... GM vehicles have a less than stellar reputation for quality. That doesn't stop anyone here, does it? Didn't think so... The BMW will be far more reliable than my GA... I'll bet my life on it. Anyways, I still have my parents. They've helped me out before and if I get in a sticky situation, they're sure to again. The car comes before a job and it's going to be a car I want. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. So stop trying to convince me offerwise... It's not working.

Look... GM vehicles have a less than stellar reputation for quality. That doesn't stop anyone here, does it? Didn't think so... The BMW will be far more reliable than my GA... I'll bet my life on it. Anyways, I still have my parents. They've helped me out before and if I get in a sticky situation, they're sure to again. The car comes before a job and it's going to be a car I want. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. So stop trying to convince me offerwise... It's not working.

meh, it's your debt not mine :P btw BMWs are historically less reliable than GM, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Toyota...

If I was in your shoes, I'd personally hold back on the BMW. I know it's probably a lot cooler and more unique than other stuff on the road, but fixing it is going to take a good chunk of pocket change. Maybe it will be flawless, but I know someone here with a 3-series, and he's sunk more money into it than he wanted to. I don't know about Brookville, but around here BMW dealers are few and far between and it's hard to find a shop that knows how to work on a Beamer.

When I was 17 after my first Lumina got hit, I was so set on getting a 5.0 Mustang. I showed my dad and he tried to tell me again and again that insurance is going to be rough and I didn't need a V8, but then I always argued back at him that he had a Firebird when he was in high school. Somewhere along the way, I wised up and ended up getting my Lumina. It's nothing special, but college is the worst time to have a nice car because it can get dinged and scratched and I hardly drive it anyway.

If you're really set on getting the BMW, make sure you have the means to pay for the insurance and maintenance, because it's not going to be cheap.

If I was in your shoes, I'd personally hold back on the BMW.  I know it's probably a lot cooler and more unique than other stuff on the road, but fixing it is going to take a good chunk of pocket change.  Maybe it will be flawless, but I know someone here with a 3-series, and he's sunk more money into it than he wanted to.  I don't know about Brookville, but around here BMW dealers are few and far between and it's hard to find a shop that knows how to work on a Beamer.

When I was 17 after my first Lumina got hit, I was so set on getting a 5.0 Mustang.  I showed my dad and he tried to tell me again and again that insurance is going to be rough and I didn't need a V8, but then I always argued back at him that he had a Firebird when he was in high school.  Somewhere along the way, I wised up and ended up getting my Lumina.  It's nothing special, but college is the worst time to have a nice car because it can get dinged and scratched and I hardly drive it anyway.

If you're really set on getting the BMW, make sure you have the means to pay for the insurance and maintenance, because it's not going to be cheap.

Insurance... Parents pay it. Maintenance... I'll manage. It'll still be more reliable than my GA, which is plagued with the Quad4. Honestly, how can anyone here explain only being able to drive it 3 months out of about 18 months that I've had it? All due to engine problems. I paid $1000 for it and have put another $1000 into it. Are you guys really trying to tell me that the BMW will be just as bad? Sorry.... don't think so. Regardless of price, the amount of repairs will be fewer. That's all I really care about, as far as reliability. Again, I want a fun car, not a boat or a mini boat.

Besides... College? I'm getting my GED, so college is a mixed bag right now. If I do, It'll probably be some sort of art school and not anytime soon. School just hasn't worked out. I wish I could've prevented my emotional problems from interfereing as much as they did, but it's too late now. I definitely don't need to go through the embarrassment of repeating a grade...

we're just trying to stop you from making a bad decision, that's all. I mean this is going from a bad car to another bad car. It's just not a good idea.

Uh... sure... the BMW is just as bad as my GA... Yeeeeaaaah... I believe you.

hey...why not get an older mustang?

Ugh... Fords. And... ugh... too old.

Might I suggest a "loaded" SC2? Preferably 99-up. I think the loaded ones had ricaro seats....

Since when were Saturn SC2s RWD? :huh:

Yeah, for the last time... Stop trying to "help" by convincing me to get a different car. It just isn't going to happen. I know what I want, and for once... I just want to get what I want. I'm sick of living with stuff I don't want, you know... I know the saying goes "you don't always get what you want", but it's about time I did, goddamnit... :P

I knew a guy who owned a 318- it was a $h!box with the worst seats I have ever spent time in, period, which matches the little feedback I've ever heard about them. More than once I've seen them listed as one of bmw's failures. And how old is this tin can; looks like circa 1990. I thought you didn't want something "too old". If it's like 14 years old, $5K has to be complete rape. I haven't (noticed) one of these on the road in years, and this in a state where bmws follow each other in packs of 2 or 3.

As for the loan question and 'seeing proof':

Posted Image

Pick up your ViperFone & call 'Brookville First National': they set the rules for loan approval- not the state. Your folks' insurance company and the PA DMV will be able to tell you if you can register it under your name & insure it under theirs (which I doubt).

An internet message board is not the research source for this level of specific information. Good friggin' luck.

I knew a guy who owned a 318- it was a $h!box with the worst seats I have ever spent time in, period, which matches the little feedback I've ever heard about them. More than once I've seen them listed as one of bmw's failures. And how old is this tin can; looks like circa 1990. I thought you didn't want something "too old". If it's like 14 years old, $5K has to be complete rape. I haven't (noticed) one of these on the road in years, and this in a state where bmws follow each other in packs of 2 or 3.

The seats were alot better than the ones in my GA... that's for sure. And yes, they're not the most loved BMW around, but I like them. It's a 1995, but that style of 3er dates back to 1992. That's not "too old". And $5k is what it's worth, according to KBB. Plus, it's the cheapest one I've seen.

As for the loan question and 'seeing proof':

Posted Image

Pick up your ViperFone & call 'Brookville First National': they set the rules for loan approval- not the state. Your folks' insurance company and the PA DMV will be able to tell you if you can register it under your name & insure it under theirs (which I doubt).

An internet message board is not the research source for this level of specific information. Good friggin' luck.

Yes it is. C&G comes first. I'm a devoted member.. appearantly much moreso than you. :P

My wife had a '93 GA and the seats were world's better: the friend's bmw's were thinly-upholstered plywood- absolutely awful. Maybe he built them himself (he didn't).

C&G can "come first" but you are not asking for opinion but specific, legal procedures and allowances. I would always go to the source creating these procedures first rather than ask a message board, but hey; that's me. I pay far less for insurance & maintenance than anyone else here... from doing research thru proper channels, not asking cyberspace.

That said; I don't know why you ask for advice then unilaterally reject every suggestion, but it's your dime.

My wife had a '93 GA and the seats were world's better: the friend's bmw's were thinly-upholstered plywood- absolutely awful. Maybe he built them himself (he didn't).

C&G can "come first" but you are not asking for opinion but specific, legal procedures and allowances. I would always go to the source creating these procedures first rather than ask a message board, but hey; that's me. I pay far less for insurance & maintenance than anyone else here... from doing research thru proper channels, not asking cyberspace.

That said; I don't know why you ask for advice then unilaterally reject every suggestion, but it's your dime.

Some people are immune to logic, you should know that. Just ask our resident reptilian pompus windbag.

Heh... reject? Was I asking about repair costs, maintenance, reliability, and what car to get? Hell no. I was asking about loans and insurance and such. I could care less what you guys think about me getting that car... So, I asked for advice, recieved some, and rejected all the BS about the car I want. Nothing wrong with that.

Uh... sure... the BMW is just as bad as my GA... Yeeeeaaaah... I believe you.

Well, you should. Mark my words, that Bimmer is going to be a $h!box, and you're going to have just as many problems with it as your GA.

remember, diamond encrusted $h! with gold trim is still $h!, no matter how much you try to gussy it up.

BV:

I know about the loan because I have done it.

If you want the car in your name, you will need to get a personal loan instead of a car loan. ( the age of the car means you probably don't have a choice anyway) Expect the interest to be high since it will be an unsecured loan.

If your heart is set on having a BMW, do yourself a favor and look at conventional 3 series coupes, the TI is BMW's least desireable model in recent history.

If you can get a personal loan without an unreasonable interest rate then that would put the car in your name and not the banks. It would wind up costing a bunch more though.

As for finding a bank to loan you the money with a car this age as collateral, it may not be that hard. I financed part of my 71 Camaro through a regualr bank and got an interest rate of 7.24%. OK, that may seem high for a car loan but remember the car is 35 years old. I've seen banks do loans for cars the age of the one you are looking at. Do some research and call some financial institutions, you may be pleasantly surprised.

One last thing BV-you mentioned a list of cars you were interested in and then a set of criteria. You may have missed a few cars in your list based on your criteria.

I may get slammed for suggesting a Toyota but, one of the cars you missed was the 90s MR2s. 4 Cyl, RWD, 2 doors, fun to drive. I am sure you probably missed some others that you may wind up enjoying.

No matter what you decide, good luck.

Well, you should. Mark my words, that Bimmer is going to be a $h!box, and you're going to have just as many problems with it as your GA.

remember, diamond encrusted $h! with gold trim is still $h!, no matter how much you try to gussy it up.

Heh... so I should go for cheap $h! with black plastic trim instead? Sounds like excellent advice, I must say. Still, have you owned my GA and that 318? No, you haven't, so you cannot accurately say that. Again, I'll bet my life that the 318 will be far more reliable than my GA. Obviously, it won't be problem free or anything, like my Honda 300EX, but I don't care. It will be a better car with better reliability and a better engine as it's not a cheaply made car with craptacular reliability (again, explain to me how 3 out of 18 months of driving is something to look forward to with the 318) and a poorly designed and built engine. The fact that the 318 is RWD and has a much better interior and overall build quality is enough for me.

Damn... this is like going against a bunch of import humpers if I were getting a domestic vehicle. I see no difference, what-so-ever. It's all people's preferences shining through.

All I can say is good lucking getting the loan to pay for it, you should probably take out a bigger loan to cover the costs of keeping it running too. Especially with no job and all...

Car comes before job; once I get car, I get job. See the correlation? I'm not going to buy it and then wait 3 months to get a job. I've been itching to get one, but I haven't had a car to take me to a job since I live out in the country. Do you understand any of that? :P

BV:

I know about the loan because I have done it.

If you want the car in your name, you will need to get a personal loan instead of a car loan. ( the age of the car means you probably don't have a choice anyway) Expect the interest to be high since it will be an unsecured loan.

If your heart is set on having a BMW, do yourself a favor and look at conventional 3 series coupes, the TI is BMW's least desireable model in recent history.

I wasn't doubting you, I would just like to see something... anything that shows all this. That's all...

As for the 3er... I want a 4cyl. The 318ti weighs less than the 318i coupe. The only real advantage the coupe has is that it looks better and has a better interior. Still, I don't mind the 318ti's looks in the first place. Plus... the 318ti is cheaper.

One last thing BV-you mentioned a list of cars you were interested in and then a set of criteria. You may have missed a few cars in your list based on your criteria.

I may get slammed for suggesting a Toyota but, one of the cars you missed was the 90s MR2s. 4 Cyl, RWD, 2 doors, fun to drive. I am sure you probably missed some others that you may wind up enjoying.

No matter what you decide, good luck.

Nah... I tried getting a mid engined vehicle once... A Fiero. As long as my parent's are paying the insurance, they have a say over what I get. For my insurance and what my parents have set up and all... a mid engined car's insurance is ridiculous. The other three I mentioned were all cheaper.

Anywho... went to look at it again. The guy was there this time. Instead of a 95, as I originally thought, it's a 97. It has 139k miles. The exact price is $4995. The salesman was the last owner of it. He had it for the last 3 years. He said he never had any problems with it (but who knows... he's a salesman). As I looked at it, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. After driving it, the same thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. The exterior is perfect, the interior is perfect, it runs perfectly and it drives perfectly. My only complaint is that the clutch is alot different than the one in my GA... :P I had a hard time getting used to it. Same with my mom's Sunfire... the clutch is completely different feeling than mine.

Anyways, I'm going to see if my mom can just get the loan instead, to save myself all this hassle. She did end up getting a small one to help out with the Sunfire and she said she would have gotten a larger one to include that BMW if she knew she was going to get it. So, she's looking into it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. As of tomorrow, my 300EX is officially for sale again. I already have it all shined up and looking like new. I just need to do some small touches to it, to get it literally looking like new. :D Maybe I'll be able to sell it this time since I got new tires on it...

So... :neenerneener::ohyeah: