William Maley

GM News: Don Butler Resigns From Cadillac

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

August 5, 2013

Some surprising news coming from General Motors today. The Detroit Free Press reports that Cadillac's vice president of global strategic development, Don Butler resigned his post today. In a email, Butler explained that his departure is “a personal decision.”

“As I've told others, I just need to take a step back to recalibrate, reassess my priorities. I know it’s time for a change but I don't know what’s next. I'm trusting that God will provide,” Butler went onto to say.

Butler's exit comes at at an inopportune time for GM as it tries to capitalize on the recent success of Cadillac in the U.S. by expanding it to other regions. One key area is China where Cadillac wants to triple sales by 2015.

Cadillac spokesman David Caldwell says Butler's departure isn't 'house cleaning.'

“In fact Bob and other leaders asked him to stay on. Don's here in the office today — and told our team that his decision is purely on a personal level. After three years of putting everything into Cadillac, he is stepping away for some personal time, and to consider new avenues in his life,” Caldwell said.

Source: Detroit Free Press

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at william.maley@cheersandgears.com or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

If he is not balancing personal and professional than one can burn out.

I suspect that this is personal for now but by early next year he will be at another auto company.

These types of jobs suck a lot of one's energy and personality into them, so the 'personal reasons' argument is understandable... If there are other reasons beyond that, I don't know... Also don't know if it's Akerson, and in fact I have a growing suspicion that it's not Akerson blocking Cadillac from realizing its full potential; it's the remnants of Old GM thinking... Maybe Don Butler got tired of fighting Cadillac's fight in GM's corporate politics battleground? If that's the case, then I agree with dfelt that he'll re-emerge at another automaker soon.

EDIT - For sure Don Butler isn't the only person in the World right now thinking of how much a job can suck oneself into it and lose grasp of the parts of life that are really important...

Edited by ZL-1

Yea, Right now I am having thoughts that it might be time to look around for another job. Leadership at my current place of employment has had a major turn over and things right now are not looking that great.

Too many new faces that have been promoted from other divisions that have no clue about the products we build and that unlike the rest of the company that is all hardware based, we are a software based solution of products and the whole Widget approach does not work with software.

The writting on the wall is when a new manager comes in, never takes time to talk to the staff and starts telling the team we are going to step up our game and people will be held accountable for fixing X amount of bugs a day, closing X amount of bugs a day, diagnostics on X amount of bugs a day and code X amount of lines a day.

Clearly clueless about how Software works in comparison to hardware. Again, not a widget company.

The writting on the wall is when a new manager comes in, never takes time to talk to the staff and starts telling the team we are going to step up our game and people will be held accountable for fixing X amount of bugs a day, closing X amount of bugs a day, diagnostics on X amount of bugs a day and code X amount of lines a day.

Clearly clueless about how Software works in comparison to hardware. Again, not a widget company.

Sounds like a 'software factory' mentality. Having worked in quite a few software companies (and traditional IT departments of Fortune 500 companies), I've seen a lot over the last 15 years....approaches like like this don't work...

I thought you were running a chain of natural gas filling stations.

I am growing a CNG business of selling cng fueling equipment, but it does not pay all the bills so still working in the computer industry till I reach that important break point of cash flow and this job allows me to leave all earnings in the business reinvesting to make it stronger for when I do go full time on the CNG only. :)

Sounds like a 'software factory' mentality. Having worked in quite a few software companies (and traditional IT departments of Fortune 500 companies), I've seen a lot over the last 15 years....approaches like like this don't work...

Over the last 20 years I have learned that hardware managers are clueless at managing software dev engineers and software are clueless at managing hardware Dev engineers. While learning hardware work flow of development is easier than software. it just does not work well when you bring outsiders that have no experience in the other side of the industry in to manage a group of people. Their stay in that position is always short lived.

I'm sure there is a culture clash between hardware and software... I've never worked anywhere that had hardware products, always been in internet/web software companies or IT software groups that build software to support the company (banks, aviation products, telecom, etc).

I'm sure there is a culture clash between hardware and software... I've never worked anywhere that had hardware products, always been in internet/web software companies or IT software groups that build software to support the company (banks, aviation products, telecom, etc).

Ever worked for anything in the mining business?

Yes. We always look in the hole.

nope...let's see what verticals I've been in over the years...

telecom, e-commerce, email software (twice), insurance industry software (twice), aviation (navigation charts and software), banking systems (twice), medical/pharmaceutical-related systems,an electric utility, and now online education. Never done anything automotive (though one of the insurance gigs involved auto warranty-related software)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Anyway, back on topic, hopefully Cadillac can achieve some management stability here soon and stop shedding execs...

Anyway, back on topic, hopefully Cadillac can achieve some management stability here soon and stop shedding execs...

Agreed... No strategy can survive high turnover...

If they can push out the Lifers who are set in their old out dated way of thinking, then GM can really move the ball and kill the competition. They are getting there, but there is still much legacy house cleaning to do.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Cadillac's CT6 lineup in the U.S. will be seeing the departure of one its powertrains for 2019. GM Authority is reporting that Cadillac will be canning plug-in hybrid variant for the U.S.
      "Cadillac remains committed to electrified systems for our vehicles. Although production of the CT6 PLUG-IN for North America is discontinuing for the 2019 model year, alternative fuel vehicles remain a part of our future product portfolio as we move deeper in to our 10-year plan. GM has committed to 20 electric vehicles by 2023, some of which will be Cadillacs," a spokesman told the outlet.
      This is likely a recent decision, considering the model was listed in GM's VIN decoder documents. What caused Cadillac to change its mind on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid? Most likely it comes down to tariffs as the CT6 is imported from China and gets slapped with a 25 percent tariff when it enters the U.S. market. Add in the factor that only a small number of 10,542 CT6s sold in the U.S. were the plug-in hybrid and it isn't quite surprising that the model has been axed.
      Cadillac will continue selling the plug-in hybrid version of the CT6 in China.
      Quick refresher on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid: The powertrain was comprised of a turbocharged 2.0L inline-four, two electric motors, and an 18.4-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack to produce a total output of 449 horsepower. Maximum electric range stands at 31 miles.
      Source: GM Authority

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Cadillac's CT6 lineup in the U.S. will be seeing the departure of one its powertrains for 2019. GM Authority is reporting that Cadillac will be canning plug-in hybrid variant for the U.S.
      "Cadillac remains committed to electrified systems for our vehicles. Although production of the CT6 PLUG-IN for North America is discontinuing for the 2019 model year, alternative fuel vehicles remain a part of our future product portfolio as we move deeper in to our 10-year plan. GM has committed to 20 electric vehicles by 2023, some of which will be Cadillacs," a spokesman told the outlet.
      This is likely a recent decision, considering the model was listed in GM's VIN decoder documents. What caused Cadillac to change its mind on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid? Most likely it comes down to tariffs as the CT6 is imported from China and gets slapped with a 25 percent tariff when it enters the U.S. market. Add in the factor that only a small number of 10,542 CT6s sold in the U.S. were the plug-in hybrid and it isn't quite surprising that the model has been axed.
      Cadillac will continue selling the plug-in hybrid version of the CT6 in China.
      Quick refresher on the CT6 Plug-In Hybrid: The powertrain was comprised of a turbocharged 2.0L inline-four, two electric motors, and an 18.4-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack to produce a total output of 449 horsepower. Maximum electric range stands at 31 miles.
      Source: GM Authority
    • By dfelt
      Howdy all, took my Escalade in for routine service, got an XT5 as a loaner for the day and stopped to check out the two XT4's they had sitting by the service center.
      First impression, WOW, this is actually nicer looking than the 2018 XT5 I have as a loaner. XT5 needs the interior of the XT4 as it shows it is dated. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, my screen is cracked and I did not realize how fuzzy some of the pics are.
      First sat in the front passenger side, have about 3 inches above my 6'6" 300lb body, plenty of leg room, very comfy.

Next I did the David test, jumped out and got in the back seat to see how I fit. Very hard doing a selfie, legs have to straddle the seat, no knee room, but then I expected that. Head room was about an inch or so, tight but doable for short trips. Have to bend forward to watch the head, otherwise people over 6' will smack their head getting in and out. Will say that I really like the Kona interior with Black and wood accents. Very nice.

I have to say that I liked the rear heated seats and USB port.

From the back seat, pretty easy to see the front dash. Love the buttons plus the touch screen in this CUV.

Went around to the drivers side, have to say very comfy. Probably one of the best seat setups yet for Cadillac.

This XT4 is the Sport addition, had the white tail lights that I really like. But found one other thing and I have to say, I did not think it would be any big deal till I tried it and OMG, I want it on my next auto.

As you can see here in the seat adjustments, the massage seat. WOW, talk about awesome along with a very adjustable lumbar support and the multi-positional seat adjustments. Massage is worth it.
      So then I took a look under the Hood, Turbo is the engine as we all knew, tight package, but clean in the layout for AWD / FWD bias.

I will say this auto is sharp looking and way better in person than in pictures.

Was walking around it and decided to pop open the gas cap, discovered a surprise that I think Cadillac is hiding.
      What do you see here?

?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      ?
      Give up? Well, around the gas filler is a rubber boot. Most people would not think anything about it, but the engineer in me wondered why the weird C to the left. Pressing in revealed to the feel a rectangle top to bottom plastic outline. Pulling the boot up a little to look under that rubber is what appears to be I think a socket to hold a Plugin port for a Hybrid. Think about this, that opening is much wider than it needs to be just for Gas fueling only and why would you want a port up on the drivers side front fender. It just makes sense to have both the charging port and gas port under one lid.
      I realize I could be totally wrong on this, but it does have me thinking about why a tall Rectangular plastic houseing on the left side of the gas filler hole and the width of this panel. Plugin Hybrid, EV, I do wonder! 🤔
      There was a White Premium Luxury with the Sky roof and it was nice, but I do not like the red tail lights after seeing the white ones. Rims on the Premium I do not like as much as the Sport rims too.

This Metallic Black XT4 Sport edition is really nice.

Seeing it next to my 2018 XT5 Loaner, Cadillac has a home run on their hands and it should sell very well. I cannot see how they will get the XT4 lights onto the XT5 without some body metal changes, but then they might just consider a more radical update to get it inline as if the XT6 comes with them, then the XT5 will be the odd duck out. Yet I know some say that difference might not be a bad thing.
      One thing I do know is that Cadillac has delivered a luxury compact CUV to the market and I am excited to see how it sells.
      I will also state this here, @balthazar is right on about Cadillac DOES NOT need an XT3 below this for the market. Leave that to Chevrolet and Buick. Cadillac should focus on their CT4 and XT4 Auto's and above in standard, V-Sport, V editions and have the Halo auto and coupes. That is perfect for them. Plus, lets take the Escalade to the V-Sport and V edition level. They really need to do this pronto.
    • By dfelt
      What does everyone make of this photo?

Jalopnik story
      According to Jalopnik, an anonymous tipster emailed in photo's of a key fob and clearly proved it is from Cadillac by flipping the fob over to show the Cadillac logo on the back. The interesting thing is that the new leader of Cadillac has been busy rolling back all of the former leaders car focused stuff and refocusing on CUVs. Yet when asked about a new Halo auto and if the mid-engine corvette could be used as a base, the response was we will have something much more interesting and special for Cadillac.
      Now with that said, we get pictures of this fob which would show a frunk and trunk plus a retractable roof. Is it possible that Cadillac could go AWD EV Halo on us?
      What do you all think is going on here? Is it the fob to an EV Halo car, Hybrid Halo car, Mid-Engine ICE Halo?

• By dfelt
      Manufacturing Revamp?

GM spoke out a week ago about a national electric vehicle mandate that they were in favor of. Tesla has reported a bigger than expected profitable quarter and if you Bing or Google National electric vehicle mandate, the stories covering this is huge with more auto companies in favor than against. 
      GM, Honda and the State of California have all as of 10-26-2018 officially pushed back on Trump and his administration in regards to the U.S. fuel economy standards. The short story of what you can read at the bottom in the links is that they are saying the federal government should embrace a zero emission vehicle sales mandate nationwide with a program start date of 2021. Honda took it a step forward and said a nominal steady increase should continue on all auto's and not a freeze. To quote Mark Reuss, GM's executive vice president of global product development, "We know that we can do better than the Trump proposal. We know that the industry can do better than that." GM states that a nationwide program would put 7 million long-range electric cars on the road and slash 375 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions by 2030 compared with existing zero-emission mandates in this country.
      For details read the automotive news story as if really digs into the details of what is being called Faulty Modeling by the current administration and EPA. The story does quote the free-market Institute for Energy Research who says the existing standards are too aggressive penalizing suburban and rural consumers who are concerned about driving range and reliability. Industry uncertainty is very clear with some taking a big wait and see like FCA on one end and then GM, Honda and California on the other end saying the current administrations plan for revoking California's rule-making authority is flawed  and should be scrapped.
      To quote Reuss in regards to a national electric car program: "It will facilitate more makers to be able to really focus on development of electric vehicles more efficiently, and take the guesswork out of what we think may or may not happen. We're making bets on a lot of uncertainty, which is highly destructive to capital."
      So what does this have to do with the title of "Fast Lane to EVs for GM? Some Think So!"
      Green car report got a no comment from GM when asked about a number of changes going on including upcoming announcements in regards to the Hamtramck plant which currently builds the Volt and is under utilized. The potential spin-off of Cruise Automation and or Maven, their profitable third quarter report and more according to multiple sources they say.
      To achieve the executive plan of Mary Barra of 20 new EVs by 2023 announced last fall GM is planning to make a series of manufacturing-location and development changes in motion to electrify it's fleet according to sources the story says. UAW and GM were in a give and take negotiations last year where the Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6 and Chevrolet Impala were all on the possible kill off list as large sedans have struggled to sell in the current market lately. Some of these we know will continue on.
      GM has been cagey about the role of Plug-in hybrids with the slow selling of the Volt especially compared to the Toyota Prius Prime with a lower plug-in range, yet demand for the BOLT on the other hand has been very strong as GM has announced plans to expand production at the plant this year. GM's plan to unveil new long range electric CUVs also show that major changes in manufacturing will have to happen. GM is pushing ahead with a all new electric vehicle platform that will cover compact to full size electric long range auto's including family-sized crossovers. They have announced their all-new battery pack that will go into generation 2 EVs that will break the $100 / kWh barrier for lithium-ion packs allowing for a range of scale for both the China and US market along with the rest of the global market.
      This all comes on GM showing off their eCOPO Camaro that has an 800 volt battery pack very similar it would seem to the 800 volt pack that Porsche is using. This supports 700HP / 600 lb-ft of torque motors. Fast Charging that is 80% range in 15 min. it would appear that GM is embracing the future of automotive driving. Remember the Buick Enspire EV that has a 370 mile range battery pack, AWD with 550 HP with a 0 to 60 in 4 seconds.

Then keep in mind while these are for China only, it would not be totally out of line for GM to change their mind and bring the Buick Velite 6 plug-in hybrid and long-range electric auto to the US after manufacturing starts in China. The Velite name used in China for all Hybrid and electric Buicks is currently on the Volt 2.0 platform, but the Velite 6 will be based on GMs new Modular compact to full size platform according to the Fool story. Buick Velite plug-in Hybrid will have a 435 mile range with battery pack / generator combo as it will use the new high-performance ternary lithium-ion battery pack built in the new GM battery plant in Shanghai. GM currently will not say much more about the new generation battery packs only they will release more info at a later date, possibly at an American auto show.

Long story short, Motley Fool has a rare Double Down buy on GM stock with 20 new EV models for the global and US market, GM is showing true forward thinking that should place them well above other auto OEMs.
      GM has a $10,000 award for naming of their new $1,000 electric bike they are putting into production for sale across the U.S.

According to GM the person responsible for naming this new foldable eBike will win $10,000 and all one needs to do is go to https://ebikebrandchallenge.com/call-for-entries to enter. You have till November 26th to enter. Nine finalist will win $1,000 each also. With the largest bike market being China, this totally makes sense for GM to get into and the U.S. as well as other markets will benefit from a bike that is assisted with electric drive to go nice and fast.
      So with so much electrification going on, why would one not expect GM to do a massive change in their manufacturing of auto's as they move to embrace a 36 month revolutionary role out or electric vehicles, bikes and who knows what else.
      Green Car Report Story Chicago Tribune Story on Mandate CNN National ZEV Mandate Story Automotive News story on Mandate Bing Search on Mandate Motley Fool story on Battery packs from GM U.S. Department of Energy PDF on GM's Li-Ion battery pack manufacturing eCOPO Camaro Media Release from GM GM eBike for Sale
  • My Clubs