New GM Commercial

GM: Building 4-speed automatics for longer than Honda has been building automobiles

I suppose they could outsource to ZF like another formerly American company can !!!

Refering to Ford I take it? No, what Ford did was smart: Outsource the 6-speed until their in-house was finished. This gave them a chance to be competetive whiule their own was under developement. Hence, why Ford dodged that crtics about automatics while GM still gets hammered for using 4-speeds (especially in the "premium" Lucerne.

Has that actually been aired on TV? I like it a lot...its not nearly as cool as the "Dodge Rocked 2005" commercial, but it's very good nonetheless. It shows the soul of GM. ^_^

Not anymore, I think... they were on during the Olympics few months ago.

Guest buickman

Good stuff, but misguided. Should have been a Pontiac ad. Focus marketing on the make as a brand. Save the corproate hype for Wall Street, and remember they don't buy cars.

Buickman

Why is everybody so sprung on having a ton of gears in their transmission? 4 speeds is plenty unless you are towing a trailer..... I still swear to this day that the 3 "speed" VH transmission in the 1965 GM bus i drove was far superior to any 5 speed allison in the newer stuff.... its all about "converter, direct, overdrive".

But yeah, that comercial was awesome I saw it a lot in california.

I've seen this on TV around here recently. I liked it when I saw it first and I think it still makes a good commercial.

As for this being a 'Pontiac' commercial. Get real. This ties current lines to the heritage of everything that was great about GM products in the past. It gives GM a chance to show some of their current winners across the entire board making a better commercial.

Currently Pontiac does not have much to really excite me. I love the Solstice but wouldn't buy one for the same reason I gave up my Vette (2 kids). Outside of the GTO there's not much there I am interested in.

Just my .02

Good stuff, but misguided. Should have been a Pontiac ad. Focus marketing on the make as a brand. Save the corproate hype for Wall Street, and remember they don't buy cars.

Buickman

:withstupid:

I've seen this on TV around here recently. I liked it when I saw it first and I think it still makes a good commercial.

As for this being a 'Pontiac' commercial. Get real. This ties current lines to the heritage of everything that was great about GM products in the past. It gives GM a chance to show some of their current winners across the entire board making a better commercial.

Currently Pontiac does not have much to really excite me. I love the Solstice but wouldn't buy one for the same reason I gave up my Vette (2 kids). Outside of the GTO there's not much there I am interested in.

Just my .02

Exactly.

Best Commercial Ive seen in a long time! I was watching the NASCAR Race and it came on it made me want to get in my truck and do burnouts in the middle of the road lol! :ohyeah:

It's a great ad- I'm glad they started to put into rotation.

I think it's also a very good strategy to start selling the GM brand as well. Get the GM logo back on the seatbelts and the door sills. Bring back "Mark of Excellence"!

*grins*

I _never_ get tired of seeing that commercial ;).

IMHO, it is one of the best spots GM has done in years ... and I sure wish they'd play it more.....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I got 1 shot left" ... Sylvia ... 'Nobody'

It's an EXCELLENT spot!!!!!

I caught it in 'prime time' the other night (sadly, GM doesn't do that much) IMO, GM should DRILL spots like this into consumers heads NON STOP... Along with commercials that highlight QUALITY/IMAGE and CONTRIBUTIONS TO OUR ECONOMY!

They SHOULD be showing this ad more!!! I LOVE the attitude of it!!!!

If anyone wants to see it again, or if that link disappears. I also have the commercial on my MySpace page. www.myspace.com/futureofgm

Guest flowmotion

The subtext of this advertisement is "We're filing for Chapter 11 soon. Stick with us! Please!"

It's such a blatent attempt to spin all the bad news I think even the mythical Joe Sixpack could see through why these ads are running.

Given that, I have no idea why you guys are so ga-gah for it. Wouldn't you rather have GM advertise some of their cars instead of feel-good corporate fuzzies?

The subtext of this advertisement is "We're filing for Chapter 11 soon. Stick with us! Please!"

It's such a blatent attempt to spin all the bad news I think even the mythical Joe Sixpack could see through why these ads are running.

Given that, I have no idea why you guys are so ga-gah for it. Wouldn't you rather have GM advertise some of their cars instead of feel-good corporate fuzzies?

that's a pretty ignorant statement

Guest flowmotion

that's a pretty ignorant statement

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are claiming this ad isn't Corporate Spin? The ignorant is you.

Let me explain it slowly (from someone in advertising): These are branding advertisements for "GM". They aren't meant to sell cars. They are designed to cast the company in a postiive light in the face of bad news.

Now ask youself what is the meaning of "Then and Now"? More or less "We aren't going to go away even though we might file for bankrupcy."

Let me explain it slowly (from someone in advertising): These are branding advertisements for "GM". They aren't meant to sell cars. They are designed to cast the company in a postiive light in the face of bad news.

Now ask youself what is the meaning of "Then and Now"? More or less "We aren't going to go away even though we might file for bankrupcy."

yes, they are promoting themselves as a whole, good observation genius. but it's good for them to promote the company as a whole in addition to individual cars. Obviously not all the brands get the same amount of advertising. It makes sense to have a commercial that promotes them as a whole every now and then. It also helps raise awarenes and curiousity. Such as the Piutlook having the wraps somewhat pulled off it, a click of the new Sky, some of their new and upcoming technologies. I know other companies have done it even when they weren't under finiancial stress.

Then and Now can be seen as a link that ties the high points with GM's history to the great new products they aare finally coming out with, and building awareness of them. Not so ignorant now is it?

Guest flowmotion

yes, they are promoting themselves as a whole, good observation genius. but it's good for them to promote the company as a whole in addition to individual cars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why? GM has been around 80 years and they never used "GM" as anything more than a sub-brand. You tell me why GM Warm Fuzzies is better use of limited resources versus promoting the Lucerne or Suburban.

These ads are even stupider than "GM Experience" crap they ran last year. At least those were about the cars and not entirely about GM.

Bottom line,GM's running these branding ads so that they can leave the nuclear option open without completely destroying their reputation.

And, I'm not a genius, but I know how to use my shift key at least.

Edited by flowmotion

If I recall correctly, Honda periodically runs its "Safety for Everyone Campaign" commercials, which promote all of its cars at the same time.

Toyota runs a spot every now and again about how many Toyotas are now built in America, and all of Toyota's financial contributions to our economy.

I think that GM can have a just GM spot every now and then. However, GM does need to promote the cars as well, not just the company.

Exactly... isn't this a good thing?

Guest flowmotion

DetroitNut90 --

The difference is that GM is an abstract corporate entity, while one can actually walk into a Honda or Toyota dealership and buy a car. I'm not criticizing campaigns like "Chevy: American Revolution", and if GM wants to dilute their subbrands and sell all their cars under the GM logo, then advertising the GM brand might sell some cars. Until then, the only time "GM" enters people's conciousness is when they are reading the financial news, and that's where these ads are targetting.

empowah -- It's a good thing that GM is planning for bankrupcy?

Edited by flowmotion

DetroitNut90 --

The difference is  that GM is an abstract corporate entity, while one can actually walk into a Honda or Toyota dealership and buy a car. I'm not criticizing campaigns like "Chevy: American Revolution", and if GM wants to dilute their subbrands and sell all their cars under the GM logo, then advertising the GM brand might sell some cars. Until then, the only time "GM" enters people's conciousness is when they are reading the financial news, and that's where these ads are targetting.

No, but would you rather have them not "cast the company in a postive light in the face of bad news"? It's not like ads for the Lucerne or Suburban don't exist; this corporate ad is just supplementary.

DetroitNut90 --

The difference is  that GM is an abstract corporate entity, while one can actually walk into a Honda or Toyota dealership and buy a car. I'm not criticizing campaigns like "Chevy: American Revolution", and if GM wants to dilute their subbrands and sell all their cars under the GM logo, then advertising the GM brand might sell some cars. Until then, the only time "GM" enters people's conciousness is when they are reading the financial news, and that's where these ads are targetting.

I understand this, I'm just saying that GM isn't the only company to make an add like this. It's fine that they do this once in a while, but they need to focus on advertising the product, not the company.

I understand this, I'm just saying that GM isn't the only company to make an add like this. It's fine that they do this once in a while, but they need to focus on advertising the product, not the company.

Yeah, Phillip-Morris, BP... :blink::duh:

At least GM's isn't as blatant, I hope.

Edited by empowah

I caught it in 'prime time' the other night (sadly, GM doesn't do that much) IMO, GM should DRILL spots like this into consumers heads NON STOP... Along with commercials that highlight QUALITY/IMAGE and CONTRIBUTIONS TO OUR ECONOMY!

Such as the new Cobalt and impala commercials ... with the guy and gal highlighting features/fuel economy.....

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

Why? GM has been around 80 years and they never used "GM" as anything more than a sub-brand. You tell me why GM Warm Fuzzies is better use of limited resources versus  promoting the Lucerne or Suburban.

These ads are even stupider than "GM Experience" crap they ran last year. At least those were about the cars and not entirely about GM.

Bottom line,GM's running these branding ads so that they can leave the nuclear option open without completely destroying their reputation.

And, I'm not a genius, but I know how to use my shift key at least.

Ooo...nice insult. So somehow my point is stupider or I am because my grammer wasn't perfect? f@#k off.

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest flowmotion

Whoa, getting pretty homoerotic in here.

(And, Member No.: 1, why don't you just ban me yourself, and then you guys can get back to your clubhouse circle jerk without little things like marketing facts getting in the way.)

Guest Josh

Whoa, getting pretty homoerotic in here.

(And,  Member No.: 1, why don't you just ban me yourself, and then you guys can get back to your clubhouse circle jerk without little things like marketing facts getting in the way.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You ask for it, you got it, boss.

I don't get what the big deal is....what is wrong with putting a positive spin on things.......i think we all want to get past this bull&#036;h&#33; and back to the good times at GM. Great commercial plain and simple it's doing exactly what they want it to be doing.

Edited by scharmer05

Such as the new Cobalt and impala commercials ... with the guy and gal highlighting features/fuel economy.....

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

Yep. Something they need to continue doing....

Gotta sell value....

yes, they are promoting themselves as a whole, good observation genius. but it's good for them to promote the company as a whole in addition to individual cars. Obviously not all the brands get the same amount of advertising. It makes sense to have a commercial that promotes them as a whole every now and then. It also helps raise awarenes and curiousity. Such as the Piutlook having the wraps somewhat pulled off it, a click of the new Sky, some of their new and upcoming technologies. I know other companies have done it even when they weren't under finiancial stress.

Then and Now can be seen as a link that ties the high points with GM's history to the great new products they aare finally coming out with, and building awareness of them. Not so ignorant now is it?

Well put. GM needs to adverise not only themselves, and the cars too.

If Toyota can toot their own horn, I can't see why GM can't do it too. :)

I don't get what the big deal is....what is wrong with putting a positive spin on things.......i think we all want to get past this bull&#036;h&#33; and back to the good times at GM.  Great commercial plain and simple it's doing exactly what they want it to be doing.

YES! 8)

oh no. damn gm for trying to cast their company in a positive light. fools. what could they have been thinking. not good marketing for a change.

this loon mustve been surrounded by men in white jackets when he was writing this. how he got from a to b is simply put c-c-crazy. its not that vast of an idea, its been done before by many companies. ever watch a show on pbs presented by toyota? they love to toot their own horn, and they aint going no where. you miserable douche.

put the nose candy down maam/sir...and stop using buzzwords like nuclear option, it just makes you sound even crazier.

its a good commercial, for someone who claims to be in advertising, should see that, now im not saying yourre not but yourre probably not that good then.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

holy dog &#036;h&#33;! how did i miss this one.

subtext?

subtext?--yourre even crazier than i first thought.

call betty ford or bill white and seek help. seriously, whatever it is there are people that can help you.