Cadillac News: Cadillac ELR Pricing Set at $75,995

Drew Dowdell

If the platform doesn't matter, why not build the Corvette of a Cruze platform and charge $75,000 for it. If they built a Corvette of a lower GM platform or put a combo 4-cylinder/electric motor in it there would be outrage in the streets. Even talk of a turbo V6 Corvette was sacrilege. Yet if Cadillac makes their most expensive car a 2-seat sports car based off a Chevy costing less than half as much, it is okay. Maybe Cadillac should charge $150,000 for the new Escalade while they are at it.

Why is it ok for Audi to build their sports car, the TT, off a VW platform?

It is all about intent. The ELR is not intended to be a sports car, ever. For the vehicle it is intended to be, the Delta platform is quite capable. You forget that the Cobalt SS was beating BMWs around the 'Ring when it first came out. That platform, a full revision behind today's version, was able to handle the job.. I see no reason why it couldn't handle the job of a E-REV at Cadillac as long as all the touchy feely bits have been upgraded accordingly...and they have.

The Audi TT isn't very good and doesn't sell very well either. It also costs $40,000, not $75,000. You can get away with a $20,000 or $25,000 car chassis on a $40,000 car because everyone does it. Every Acura and Lincoln, the Lexus ES350, Buicks, the Cadillac XTS even, it is pretty common place to take family sedan underpinnings and make an entry-lux model because buyers at that price point aren't looking for performance and luxury.

I am aware that the ELR isn't supposed to be sporty, but it is mechanically a Volt, they can tweak it but it isn't going to drive all that different. So you are then asking people to pay $76,000 for a 2 seat car with Hyundai Elantra level performance, the interior on the ELR better be Rolls Royce worthy or the price tag doesn't match up. To be $76,000, this should be the best Cadillac they make, and it is probably the worse, how is this ELR $40,000 better than an ATS or $30,000 better than a CTS?

As the Volt already drives and handles way better than an Elantra, I would imagine that an ELR with hyper-strut and a more aggressive sport-mode would be even further away from the Elantra.

You seem to think the entire world drives in 0-60 times. It must be amazing to you that I can get around and keep up with, or even exceed, prevailing traffic in this city in a car with a 0-60 in the 15 second range. And yet, I manage it without fuss all the time.

BTW, the ELR has 4 seats and the interior is worthy of a $75k Rolls.

ELR = tech toy which I imagine will come fully loaded with luxury amenities; great for the green-image affluent crowd... Charging $75K for it is not stupid (also, there's a IIRC 10% tax credit to deduct form the $75K); it's probably where GM should have started with regarding Voltec in the 1st place...

^ Right. I don't recall reading incessant ranting by audi A5 owners that their engine is sourced from a $16K VW. I assume they have access to Google, too.

Correction Balthy, even the A8 uses the 2.0L Turbo engine from VW.

For GM it is badge engineering, but for VW group is called innovation in usage of synergy of brands for the purpose of proliferation of efficient low cost manufacturing to improve shareholders' values.

Other way around. Audi developed that engine.

Edited by Lamar

Excuses for mediocrity. The price would be acceptable if its performance were at least befitting of a $76K car. TT RS may be based on a Golf, but at least it hangs on with a Cayman.

Instead, we're looking at 8 seconds to 60 mph, and less range (35 miles) and lower MPG (82 MPGe in EV mode; 35 MPG in hybrid mode) than a Volt. They didn't even bother to bother to upgrade the charger. It's still 3.3 kW; even lowly plug-ins like Focus Electric and LEAF have 6.6 kW chargers. Plug-in hybrids with slow chargers make public charging (usually $2/hour) pointless because it makes more financial sense to run on gasoline.

I just don't see the point of ELR at that price. If it's efficiency you're after, ELR is the least efficient of any plug-in car. If it's performance and style you're after, there are so many choices that accelerate to 60 in half the time: e.g., CTS-V Coupe and Corvette Stingray. If you want performance and efficiency, there's Model S. If you want lots of range and good efficiency, a diesel will do better: ELR averages 82 MPGe over 35 miles, but then that drops to 44 MPGe after 100 miles, and 39 MPGe after 200 miles.

^ Right. I don't recall reading incessant ranting by audi A5 owners that their engine is sourced from a $16K VW. I assume they have access to Google, too.

For GM it is badge engineering, but for VW group is called innovation in usage of synergy of brands for the purpose of proliferation of efficient low cost manufacturing to improve shareholders' values.

If I were a GM shareholder right now, I'd be furious at this boondoggle.

Edited by pow

It better have a profit margin, it is $76k for a Chevy Volt with Cue and a wood and leather package. They might as well put a $55k Cruze diesel with a Cadillac logo on front on sale too if GM is looking for low volume, high profit. Because a $76k Volt is equally as crazy as a $55k Cadillac Cruze diesel.

If I were a GM shareholder right now, I'd be furious at this boondoggle.

See below. Logic! Do I agree with the pricing? No. Do I understand the pricing? Yes.

With $5,000 off the Volt, GM needs to make profit somewhere for the platform. Even if GM sells one ELR for every 10 Volts, it is some money in the pocket.

It better have a profit margin, it is $76k for a Chevy Volt with Cue and a wood and leather package. They might as well put a $55k Cruze diesel with a Cadillac logo on front on sale too if GM is looking for low volume, high profit. Because a $76k Volt is equally as crazy as a $55k Cadillac Cruze diesel.

Or equally as crazy as a $96K VW Tuareg TDI sorry, Porsche Cayenne Diesel.

Or equally as crazy as a $96K VW Tuareg TDI sorry, Porsche Cayenne Diesel.

A Toureg TDI is $51,000 base price, the Cayenne TDI is $56,600 base price, they are pretty close actually. It is the GTS and Turbo Cayennes that are really expensive.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It still amazes me that I can get around town at all with a 0-60 nearly double that of the Corolla.

But like most people, I don't do full throttle acceleration after every stop sign, stop light, or yield. I expect that most people buying a plug-in EV aren't either.

Hahaha... OMG... Cadillac is actually saying the ELR will be cross-shopped with the BMW 6-Series! :roflmao:

Maybe if it goes up for sale in Fantasy Land. I can't see it being cross shopped with anything except another car in a Cadillac showroom. Maybe if you walk in to look at a CTS, you take a look at the ELR, or if you do go in to look at an ELR, you'll realize a CTS is $20,000 cheaper and has the same dash, same features, is faster and handles better. And $20,000 buys a lot of gas. We are talking $75k for 2011 Volt technology, I think the ELR will flop harder than the Allante.

Lets just hope it helps pay down the R&D to get this into more variety of models. I think a Suburban Volt Power Train with a small Diesel generator would do amazing.

• 2 months later...