BMW 1 series = DEAD

regfootball

I believe this is for US only as you guys don't get the current 1-Series hatch... The so called "1-Series GT" (i.e. hunchback 5-door) will be FWD-based but no FWD hatches have been spotted so far, as far as I know...

Since the 2nd gen 3-dr and 5-dr RWD 1-series came out in MY 11, so probably around 2015-2016 they will have the FWD 1-series hatches (and presumably a sedan for the US), to compete w/ the A3 and A-class/CLA... though I think they should keep the FWD for Mini only.

BMW will Hurt not Help their image with FWD in the US. This is DEAD on Arrival for them as a FWD appliance.

Problem is, the typical consumers are so clueless and non-serious about cars today they won't even pay attention to the FWD vs RWD aspect.

FWD is not on the radar of the BMW buyer, esp since Corporate revealed 80% think (in other words: WANT) the 1 is FWD, so actively marketing FWD (being the case with the upcoming ones) will obviously attract a large component, IMO.

But the 'damage' isn't short terms sales (or lack thereof), but the inverse message to what BMW has preached openly in ads previously. IOW, we'll have polar opposites (as stated by BMW marketing dept) in the same showroom with the same badges. Whether this will erode BMW's 'message' or whether what Moltar stated above ('clueless') is closer to reality, time will tell.

Edited by balthazar

The current 1 is the only BMW I really like. I can appreciate its pugnacious stance and its very tidy size. The new 2 looks to improve on the current car. I'm interested in seeing more of it.

But I also like the CLA, and I am usually not a 4-door kinda guy.

Actually the 1 Series M is apparently an excellent car to drive, being likened to what the M3 used to be before it got fat. I just never cared for the way the 1 Series looks.

I've heard good things about the 1M...favorably compared to the E36 M3. The current 1 series may be the last true enthusiast BMW without all the BS....

Two things that really turn me off on the departing 1 series. Too overwrought stylistically and not really an E46 successor as much as magazines claim it to be.

I sometime wish how would the 3.0T behave in the beautiful E46 chassis.

I wish a car company would break down by region the auto sales as I have only seen a couple BMW's 1 on the lots and they still seem to be there. People who know their auto's consider the 1's to be an insult to the Ultimate Driving Machine logo. Yet I do acknowledge that many 1 buyers are clueless to the FWD versus RWD design.

what a shame BMW willingly cornered themselves into a tiny stylistic box. They had the chance to break the mold when intro'ing new series designations and finally offer something fresh, but it's the same old, same old. 'Nothing to see here' should be the corp tagline.

I wish Buick could give us a Riviera like the '79 - '85 body and get away with it... but they'd be raked over the coals for releasing "an old design"

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Need to do an editorial about the abuse of old style design by BMW and MB. Nothing new, nothing inspiring, same old garbage yet they are praised as amazing.

What a joke.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

None of the German manufacturers are innovative when it comes to "design". Their underlying design theme - Same sausage different dimensions. The sad part is media loves it.

In someways I do not like the universal grille adaptation of the Cadillacs and Buicks. At least Chevy has 5 different faces and yet you could recognize them as being Chevies.

Need to do an editorial about the abuse of old style design by BMW and MB. Nothing new, nothing inspiring, same old garbage yet they are praised as amazing.

Again, the i3 and i8 are very new...and disgusting, IMO.

Personally, I like the generally evolutionary styling BMW, M-B, and Porsche use...continuity and heritage to grow on, rather than total change every few years...better than the generic appliance styling seen from other car makers, IMO..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Personally, I like the generally evolutionary styling BMW, M-B, and Porsche use...continuity and heritage to grow on, rather than total change every few years...better than the generic appliance styling seen from other car makers, IMO..

True, BMW, MB and Porsche are better than what Toyota, Nissan, Honda put out. Yea, American auto companies have also had their turds, but still you are dealing with luxury makers that can do much better than they have. I feel they are truly resting on their past accomplishments.

Unfortunately, in the grand stylistic scheme of things, BMW DOESN'T evolve. It's stagnant & unimaginative.
I like retro styling.... when it's worthy of paying homage to. BMW design is just utterly boring & old, and not that appealing.
BMW does 2 things very well stylistically IMO: stance (body to wheels, ride height) & lighting (the actual lighting, not the physical lens shapes). The body envelope doesn't change and the fact that the rags get all twitchy when next year's model is spotted all camo'd up -like there's anything new or surprising under there- is hilarious.

For example- they still had round quad headlights years & years after the industry moved on.

For example- they still had round quad headlights years & years after the industry moved on.

I always liked that detail...the round quad lights looked much better than the square/rectangular aero flush $h! that most everyone else used in the '80s-90s..round quad lights (regardless of the lighting technology) have been a BMW styling cue for decades..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

>>"...a BMW styling cue for decades"<<

^ So has most of the rest of the entire car.

Round quad lights were a "styling cue" for the entire industry for decades & decades. BMW resisted moving forward when new tech came out; not that they were preserving any sort of iconic design statement.

So does Toyota and Honda. Look at the Camcords and Corovics.

The 2-series looks a lot better than the 1-series which was an ugly car. Agreed that BMW styling isn't great and looks the same all the time. I think their top designs of the past 30 years or so are the late 90s 750i (which still looks good today) and the 90s 8-series coupe. The new 2-series could hit the sweet spot for BMW traditionalists however since it weighs 3240 lbs, the same as an E36 M3, and that is like the holy grail of small sport coupe/sedans.

I agree with you SMK. It is a BMW in a while that I find dynamically fascinating. Closer spiritual successor of E46 330izhp or E36M3. The proportions do not look odd like the bulldog shaped 1series.

M235 can be something to consider as a daily driver.

• 1 year later...

They have kept the 1 series name for the compact hatchbacks in Europe...I would assume they may do a 1 series sedan for the US and other markets to compete w/ the A3, CLA, and other entry lux models eventually..I thought the 1 series was going to go FWD but that hasn't happened yet, I think?

• Agree 1