Detroit Auto Show: 2015 Ford F-150 Loses Some Weight: Comments

What you're looking at here is the most important vehicle for Ford. The F-150 is not only the best selling model in Ford's lineup, but a pivotal part of the company's bottom line. Every generation of the F-150 is a make or break, with no generation taking a bigger risk than the brand new 2015 model debuting at Detroit.

For starters, the 2015 F-150 is 700 pounds lighter than the model it replaces. 70 percent of that weight loss goes to a new aluminum alloy used in most of the body. The aluminum alloy is similar to what is used on military HMMWVs and aerospace applications. Ford also increased the amount of high-strength steel in the frame. The automaker says this combination will be just as tough and durable as previous F-150s.

The other big change lies under the hood. Ford has developed a new 2.7L EcoBoost V6 that features a stop-start system. The system is disabled when in four-wheel drive or in tow-haul mode. There is also a new 3.5L V6 which takes the place of 3.7L V6. Ford hasn't released specs on either engine. Carrying over from the last-generation will be the 5.0L V8 and 3.5L EcoBoost V6.

Exterior design is very much like the Atlas Concept shown last year. The front features a tall and wide grille that features three fat bars and massive blue oval badge. Front headlights wrap onto the front fenders and have a cutout section on the inner edges. There is an option to have full LED headlights. The bed also LED lights and a remote-opening tailgate from the keyfob.

In the cabin, the 2015 F-150 is an evolution of the current model's interior. There is a new eight-inch display in the instrument cluster, panoramic sunroof, and updates to the TruckApps. On the safety front, there is a new 360-degree camera view, second-row inflatable seatbelts, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot warning system, and a lane-departure prevention system.

The F-150 will be available in XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, and King Ranch trim levels; two or four-wheel drive; and a variety of body styles and bed lengths.

The 2015 Ford F-150 goes on sale in the fourth quarter of this year.

Source: Ford

Press Release is on Page 2

All-New Ford F-150 Redefines Full-Size Trucks as the Toughest, Smartest, Most Capable F-150 Ever

Tougher: All-new high-strength steel frame, high-strength aluminum-alloy body, more than 10 million miles of testing and Baja 1000-proven 2.7-liter EcoBoost® engine

Smarter: 11 new class-exclusive features, including 360-degree camera view, integrated loading ramps stowed in the pickup bed, 400-watt power outlets inside the cab, LED headlights and sideview mirror spotlights, and remote tailgate release

More capable: Up to 700 pounds less weight plus four engine choices for an impressive combination of power, capability and efficiency

DETROIT, Jan. 13, 2014 – Ford today introduces the all-new Ford F-150, the reinvention of America's favorite truck. It is the toughest, smartest and most capable F-150 ever – setting the standard for the future of trucks.

The all-new F-150 delivers an impressive combination of power, capability and efficiency – from advanced materials that improve durability and inhibit corrosion, to faster processors that enhance driving performance, to breakthrough cargo management and towing solutions.

"F-150 is well-known for being Built Ford Tough. Now, it is both tough and smart," said Mark Fields, Ford Motor Company chief operating officer. "The all-new F-150 redefines the future of trucks, and it is yet another example of our One Ford plan producing vehicles that serve customers with a commitment to the very best quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value."

F-150 is part of the Ford F-Series truck lineup, America's best-selling truck for 37 consecutive years and America's best-selling vehicle for 32 years.

"We have a unique connection with our customers," said Joe Hinrichs, Ford executive vice president and president of The Americas. "Time and again, F-150 has delivered the tougher, smarter features they want along with the capabilities they need for work or play. We build our trucks to their high standards."

In designing the backbone of the F-150, Ford engineers improved the truck's signature fully boxed ladder frame. It is all-new with more high-strength steel than ever – making it stronger and lighter. High-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloys – already used in aerospace, commercial transportation, energy and many other rugged industries – are used throughout the F-150 body for the first time, improving dent and ding resistance and also saving weight. Overall, up to 700 pounds of weight have been saved, helping the F-150 tow more, haul more, accelerate quicker and stop shorter, and contributing to efficiency.

"More than ever before, customers want a truck that is a dependable partner, mobile office and a go-anywhere workshop," said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. "To meet the needs of our truck customers, we created smart new features and a whole new approach to using advanced materials and engines to improve capability and efficiency."

Even tougher

The 2015 Ford F-150 is the strongest and most durable F-150 ever. Before it goes on sale, it will have been torture-tested in labs, at Ford proving grounds and in the hands of some of Ford's most demanding truck customers for more than 10 million miles.

The grueling testing simulated the demands Ford's customers will subject the truck to throughout its average lifetime. The tests include crisscrossing the country pulling heavy trailers and hefty loads through desert valleys and over high-altitude mountain passes – in temperatures from 20 degrees below zero to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Customers using the F-150 for construction, mining and utilities have tested and helped prove out its high-strength aluminum-alloy cargo box.

A disguised new Ford F-150 even raced in the Baja 1000, where it earned the distinction of completing all 883 grueling miles while some other purpose-built race vehicles could not.

To perform in these challenging conditions, the frame uses high-strength steel rated up to 70,000 psi – stronger than the steel found in some competitors' heavy-duty pickup truck frames. Eight through-welded crossmembers provide increased stiffness, while staggered rear outboard shocks provide greater stability.

Even smarter

Several groundbreaking new productivity features debut in the all-new F-150, including many class-exclusives. They include:

- 360-degree camera view, using exterior cameras to create a bird's-eye view of the truck to help the driver park, maneuver in tight spots and navigate down narrow roads and trails

- Integrated loading ramps, which enable easy loading of ATVs, motorcycles and mowers

- BoxLink™, which is a combination of metal brackets and custom cleats used to secure a variety of accessories in the cargo box, from ramps to storage bins to bed dividers

- LED headlamps and taillamps, which provide excellent nighttime visibility

- Trailer hitch assist, a new rear view camera feature that adds a dynamic line based on steering wheel angle in the display to help customers line up truck and trailer without requiring a spotter or having to get out of the vehicle

- Smart trailer tow module, using an all-new smart trailer tow wiring harness that helps identify and inform the driver of potential trailer connectivity issues, burned or unlit trailer marker lamps, and brake light and trailer battery faults

- Remote tailgate, allowing for the tailgate to be locked, unlocked and released with the key fob – eliminating manual locking and increasing convenience and security. The tailgate also is damped, dropping down, hands-free, to a flat position when opened

- High-wattage power outlets (400 watts, 110 volts) in the cab, allowing drivers to easily charge corded tools, battery chargers or mobile devices on-site or while driving

- LED spotlights on sideview mirrors, which provide powerful, durable and bright lighting around the truck exterior

- Latest EcoBoost® technology in an all-new, even more efficient 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine that features extremely high output and lightweight design

- Next-generation tailgate step, which is now fully integrated inside the tailgate and virtually invisible when not in use

Other smart innovations include:

- New 8-inch LCD productivity screen in the instrument panel, which includes updated truck apps – from fuel economy to towing tips – and the ability to create a customized home screen for customers to access their most frequently used apps in one place

- LED lighting embedded in the walls of the cargo box, which brightly illuminates the box interior to help customers quickly find tools or other items

- Rear under-seat storage in F-150 Super and Crew cabs, providing hidden storage for valuables. Two storage bins also are located underneath the rear seats

- Boxside step, now available for the short 5.5-foot box

They join available driver aids, including SYNC® with MyFord Touch®, hill start assist, MyKey®, rear view camera, reverse sensing, trailer brake controller and extendable tailgate step.

More capable

In addition to helping customers work smarter, F-150 features segment-first technologies that automatically assist drivers. They include:

- Second-row inflatable safety belts, which work like a traditional belt but include a tubular airbag that inflates in the event of a crash and distributes the force of the impact across a wider area of the passenger's chest

- Curve Control, which automatically provides more aggressive four-wheel braking when the truck is going into a corner too fast

- Adaptive cruise control, allowing drivers to set a cruising speed and use radar technology to monitor traffic ahead and maintain a safe distance between vehicles

- Lane-Keeping System, which is designed to help avert unintentional drifting of the vehicle outside the intended driving lane by automatically detecting the left- or right-hand road lane markings using a camera mounted between the windshield and interior rearview mirror

- Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert, which uses radar hidden in the taillamps to detect a vehicle entering a driver's blind spot while driving or backing up

A range of four engines provides more power to meet almost any customer need.

A new 2.7-liter EcoBoost with standard Auto Start-Stop and a 3.5-liter V6 engine with twin independent variable camshaft timing join the proven 3.5-liter EcoBoost and 5.0-liter Ti-VCT V8. The 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine features a lightweight, compact design to deliver the same power as some mid-range V8s.

Auto Start-Stop technology helps save fuel. Unlike start-stop solutions in other vehicles, this technology – specially tuned for truck customers – shuts off the engine to save fuel when the vehicle is stopped, except when towing or in four-wheel drive. The engine restarts in milliseconds when the brake is released.

Ford F-150 trucks equipped with EcoBoost engines also will benefit from standard Active Grille Shutters. Active Grille Shutters stay open when extra engine cooling is needed, such as during low-speed stop-and-go driving or while working in hot weather. They automatically close to reduce aerodynamic drag at cruising speed.

On sale late this year

When it goes on sale late this year, the all-new Ford F-150 will continue the tradition of offering the broadest selection of trim levels in the full-size pickup segment. Five primary trims are available: XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum and King Ranch. Chrome appearance packages are available with XL, XLT, Lariat and King Ranch. Monochromatic sport appearance packages are available with XL, XLT and Lariat.

The FX4 off-road package can be added to most four-wheel-drive models, improving trail capability with an electronic locking rear axle, skid plates and off-road-tuned shocks.

Both the exterior and interior design of Ford F-150 reflect decades of listening to customers and understanding their occupational and recreational needs. The exterior is characterized by a new shape that suggests capability, with a wider Built Ford Tough stance, prominent wheel arches and chiseled grille.

Comfort, utility and refinement define the truck's interior. Ergonomically optimized seating for the front row positions enhances comfort, while extending legroom for rear passengers. Buttons and controls are optimized so they can be operated while wearing work gloves.

Storage options include laptop stowage in the center console, as well as quick storage solutions for cellphones, drinks, pens and business cards.

"Once again, the Ford F-150 establishes new standards in durability, capability, technology and efficiency to help F-150 owners be more productive 24/7 – whether for work or weekend fun," said Nair.

The F-150 will continue to be manufactured at Ford's Dearborn Truck Plant in Dearborn, Mich., and Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Mo.

View full article

The exterior looks like a blend of the tired cliches of the current truck and the hideous Super Duty (the front end). But it is impressive to hear they've taken 700lbs out...pickups have been so obese for so long..

• Agree 1

"Mulally, who grew up driving an F-150 on his family's farm in Kansas, particularly likes the new truck's front windows, which dip down 2 inches for better visibility.

"That's just an unbelievable innovation. You're sitting up there and you need to know where you are," he says. "I think that is absolutely a laser focus on what the customer wants and values."

He hasn't noticed that the Super Duty has done this for almost 20 years?

The exterior looks like the current truck with a new front clip. A mid cycle refresh. Yet the writer gushes about the daring new body? Please.

• Agree 1

"He hasn't noticed that the Super Duty has done this for almost 20 years?"

Right, but it's MUCH older than even that. The 'Innovation Bucket' is just about empty these days.

I am a fan of Ford trucks historically, I've had 4 to date. The first pics of the Platinum I thought looked pretty nice from the front, a bit garish from the rear. But not liking the blacked out look much at all (I assume thats the XL). Same physical shapes, highlighted in a much different way. Need more real world pics, esp of intermediate trims.

"Mulally, who grew up driving an F-150 on his family's farm in Kansas, particularly likes the new truck's front windows, which dip down 2 inches for better visibility.

"That's just an unbelievable innovation. You're sitting up there and you need to know where you are," he says. "I think that is absolutely a laser focus on what the customer wants and values."

He hasn't noticed that the Super Duty has done this for almost 20 years?

And the F150 has had that detail for 10 years now.. the Super Duty has had it for 15 years.

We'll this is going to be a love it or hate it truck and so Ford has probably hit it on the nose to compete against dodge and gm.

For me, it is ugly and I do not like the exterior at all. The interior is even worse as it comes across as over done big blocks and looks plasticky from the pictures. There just seems to be a cheapness about the interior that I cannot put my finger on other than the plasticky look.

700lbs reduced weight is awesome. Yet with all the problems they have been having on the quality of the aluminum panels, I would not touch this truck for a few years and let them figure out how to truly make it solid.

• Agree 1

We'll this is going to be a love it or hate it truck and so Ford has probably hit it on the nose to compete against dodge and gm.

For me, it is ugly and I do not like the exterior at all. The interior is even worse as it comes across as over done big blocks and looks plasticky from the pictures. There just seems to be a cheapness about the interior that I cannot put my finger on other than the plasticky look.

The current F150 is known for it's cheap and nasty interior, this looks a bit better. The exterior is just the same old F150 theme they have had since 2004 with an ugly '08+ style Super Duty front end.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

As a "truck guy", initially I am not impressed with the new 2015 Ford F150. I will need to see it in person to make the final judgement but I guess I'm too much of a GM Truck Guy to really like the new Ford. I agree with many of the posts above, especially where it's mentioned that a new Super Duty-inspired front clip has been added to a rehashed current F150 body. The interior is trying to hard to be "different" and "unique", but I wouldn't say it's horrible overall. Ford will continue to do well with the F150 I'm sure.

Clearly, Ford is quite successful overall WRT their truck lines, so design elements for those that purchase them obviously works well.

F-150 is a very capable & contemporary vehicle you can build a thousand different ways & punish with hard usage for decades, that's what it's known for.

• Agree 1

For all those griping about the GM trucks looking the same as the outgoing models well so does the new F-150. From the side it looks nearly identical with the same front window droop that that debuted back in 2004. The front end look very Super Duty and overall this is a let down. Will reserve judgement on the interior until I see in person but I'm not looking forward to more Ecofire engines in yet smaller sizes.

• Agree 1

There is only so much you can do with styling, it looks like an F150 so the loyalists should like that. I think it looks fine, nothing great, but not bad in any way. The weight savings is great, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.7L ecoboost out runs some of the competitions V8s. If they can get 300 hp from a 2.3 liter four in the Mustang, you have to think the Ecoboost 2.7 could be in the 330 hp and torque range. The fuel economy of the 2.7L should be quite an advantage over the other guys V8s also. Hard to believe a F150 with a sub 3 liter engine.

I read rumor of a 3.2 liter turbo diesel being developed for the Transit, that engine would be perfect for the F150, I think with a diesel the F150 could hit 30 mpg.

The exterior definitely has kept an evolutionary look. I think it looks great. The interior still has that "in a million pieces" look of the current truck. I prefer GM's clean and simple truck interior to Ford's.

Well they finally gave the F-150 a totally new exterior. Not big on the chrome-tastic front end but models like he FX4 it looks good, better designed than the current model and I like it better than the "draw 3 rectangles, one of them really big, and call it a day" Silverado's nose.

Interior looks nicer, again better than GM's offerings but at the same time its like a throwback to the `04 model.

if i were truck shopping I would skip over the GM stuff and get this as I most often like the Fords better, but i have to admit the aluminum thing in a truck scares me a bit.

What i would do is lease one probably if that were the case. I am not a typical truck buyer. So the lighter weight for handling and tossability would appeal to me. The 2.7 Ecoboost I would check into.

Lots of roughneck truck lovers though like the fact that trucks are heavy and huge. The lower weight may turn them off.

The melted ford trucks of the late 90's were light weight and there was a backlash to that. Now though, the engineering is more solid.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

>>"Lots of roughneck truck lovers though like the fact that trucks are heavy and huge. The lower weight may turn them off.

The melted ford trucks of the late 90's were light weight and there was a backlash to that."<<

No; there wasn't any backlash to the weight, and the '97s I'm sure didn't lose any weight vs. the '96s (loss of the inline 6 not withstanding).

And no one champions their truck's weight as a reason they bought, either. Nonsense.

-- -- -- -- --

Severely disappointed to see the shifter on the console. Just so faddish in a truck. Next up- a rear spoiler for downforce.

Edited by balthazar

The technology behind this truck is certainly impressive. In fact, it's what I hoped GM would do with their new generation big pickups, but alas, GM stuck with traditionalism and conservatism. While I would like to see GM (or even Ram) edge Ford out of the top spot for truck sales, the likelihood of that happening is going to be slim. Wishy-washy truck buyers (yes, there are a few of them) are going to flock to this thing because Ford is going to really push the technology behind it. I can just hear them now, bragging to their Silverado-driving buddy that their truck "is made from the same alu-min-em as one of them there military Humvees."

I'm also impressed that Ford pretty much kept the styling from the Atlas concept intact, including the double-domed roof and that funky top cut on the windshield. Granted, that big cow-catcher grille looks pretty ... well, tacky in top level trims, but then again vulgarity is sort of the name of the game with a luxury pickup. It's fine in other trims that don't make an excessive use of chrome. There's also a certain quality about the design that harkens back to the old boxy F-Series trucks of the '70s, '80s, and early '90s.

Edited by black-knight

Balthy there are plenty of folks in these parts that like heavier iron in winter and in my time selling I encountered buyers first hand who dissed the weak build of the 97 + era trucks Even if they were the same weight as the pre 97, I always heard from the buyer that the pre 97 and post melted trucks were the ones they wanted because of how solid they felt in comparison.

Balthy there are plenty of folks in these parts that like heavier iron in winter and in my time selling I encountered buyers first hand who dissed the weak build of the 97 + era trucks Even if they were the same weight as the pre 97, I always heard from the buyer that the pre 97 and post melted trucks were the ones they wanted because of how solid they felt in comparison.

Chalk that up to the piss poor build quality of the '97 to '03 F-Series trucks where everything feels like its made out of paper mache glued together with old dog turds. The interior plastics certainly felt emaciated. "Chintzy" would be one way to put it, "cheap" would be another. I'm going to say to hell with politeness and mildness and say "&#036;h&#33;ty."

Edited by black-knight

Chalk that up to the piss poor build quality of the '97 to '03 F-Series trucks where everything feels like its made out of paper mache glued together with old dog turds. The interior plastics certainly felt emaciated. "Chintzy" would be one way to put it, "cheap" would be another. I'm going to say to hell with politeness and mildness and say "&#036;h&#33;ty."

The Taurus-look pickups were also notorious for their weak structures--poor crash test results and collapsible roof..inside, they went from cheap plastics and rounded on that era to blocky and cheap for the '04-09 and '10-14 generations...

This new truck looks too much like the '10-14 with a Super Duty style nose tacked on, it doesn't really go anywhere new stylistically..same old boring ugly blocky truck. GM and Ram have much better styling, IMO.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Show them crash test videos of the older trucks vs the newer ones. that'll shut them up. Love the ignorance of people "ITS BIG AND HEAVY SO ITS GOTTA BE MORE SAFER!"

The newer ones ARE (in general) the heavier ones tho. Pickups used to be around 4000 lbs, now they cluster around 6000. IOW; it's not the weight either way that has anything to do with crash results.

Show them crash test videos of the older trucks vs the newer ones. that'll shut them up. Love the ignorance of people "ITS BIG AND HEAVY SO ITS GOTTA BE MORE SAFER!"

weight is not always the determining factor in safety, but its also an actual real world example of stereotypes in the market. Let me give you other examples, 'oh, it's a toyota, it's reliable'

Weight is not really entirely about safety either. Another example. Something like a new Altima feels lighter and less solid on the road than the oft maligned for being heavier Malibu, because it is. But i know which one I would want to spend road miles in.

Edited by regfootball

The Taurus-look pickups were also notorious for their weak structures--poor crash test results and collapsible roof..inside, they went from cheap plastics and rounded on that era to blocky and cheap for the '04-09 and '10-14 generations...

This new truck looks too much like the '10-14 with a Super Duty style nose tacked on, it doesn't really go anywhere new stylistically..same old boring ugly blocky truck. GM and Ram have much better styling, IMO.

Ford purposely now changes the look little to little each year. Its as if they would take 25 years of the F150, a picture from each year, and make a cartoon book out of it. When you flip each page, you would notice little but subtle change. And there would be some change over time but it would be not much and even then the trucks would look similar. I think this new F150 reminds me of the early 90's ones actually.

The newer ones ARE (in general) the heavier ones tho. Pickups used to be around 4000 lbs, now they cluster around 6000. IOW; it's not the weight either way that has anything to do with crash results.

trucks being body on frame behave so much differently in a crash. It's to say exactly how best to assign and use weight on trucks. unitbody vehicles are using more of the vehicles materials more efficiently so of course they will be lighter. Trucks have added so much stuff but since they are body on frame, it is tough to optimize them for crash when their structure is not the best for dealing with crashes to begin with.

First of the reports to come out on the new F150 say that due to the Aluminum panels and that less than 10% of body shops can deal with Aluminum that the insurance cost will be at least 10% higher!

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--2015-ford-f-150-repairs-will-cost-more-at-body-shop

Interesting, I wonder if this figure will higher as they head to the body shop.