GMT-900 Interior spyshot discussion

Flybrian

Can't fault Dodge for keeping the Ram up to date, unlike a certain other company who has let their Silverado more or less rot until now.

If by 'rot' you mean 'still outsell the Ram because they're damn good trucks,' then agreed. As for the MegaCab, you do realize this is merely Dodge finally catching up with Ford and GM in rear seating spaciousness for the crew cabs.

I feel sorta bad for Nissan, unlike Toyota, they didn't half-ass their Titan, and made a REAL truck. They deserve some sales with it.

I don't. Titan is a charictature of an American pickup and a ghastly (in some trims) one at that. Plus, they don't have a fraction of the variety the Big Three have in powertrain, trim levels, and cab/bed configurations. In that sense, it will be a niche truck appealing to those that eschew using their pickups and instead deck them out with 26" spinners and flourescent lights. I can attest to that because that's a good number of Titans I've seen. It may not be "half-assing", but it isn't full-assing. Not yet. If ever.

You people all talk about these truck features as if they were chips in a poker game!

And everybody is playing a bluff hand!

Trucks first, foremost and always are work vehicles. The ability to perform

various tasks is the primary objective of any fleet manager, who has to buy the most bang for the buck!

He couldn't give a rats' ass what shade of grey the dash is, does it give the

information that he needs for his operators to do their jobs!

You all assume functionality is an add-on accessory that you can buy and add

to your frew-frew queen.

Looks? To most fleet managers, they couldn't care less. It is the wanna-bes

who worry if the upholstry will clash with tonights outfit!

I looked closely at the pics of the dash, and even tho this was a spy photo,

and had an add-on trailer brake controller on the left of the column, I did not see

any built-in!

Guages? seems to be a contest to eliminate as many as possible! Let'em

add them on as aftermarket if they want that info.

Someone said that this truck had an Allison transmission. But I didn't see

a trans temp guage in the array!

One of my pet peeves, ---- if the drivers know how to use'em, is no vaccuum

guage! Especially now with gas prices going thru the roof!

Your loyalty is commendable guys, but you need to wake up and take a dose

of----- reality! 8)

If by 'rot' you mean 'still outsell the Ram because they're damn good trucks,' then agreed. As for the MegaCab, you do realize this is merely Dodge finally catching up with Ford and GM in rear seating spaciousness for the crew cabs.

I don't. Titan is a charictature of an American pickup and a ghastly (in some trims) one at that. Plus, they don't have a fraction of the variety the Big Three have in powertrain, trim levels, and cab/bed configurations. In that sense, it will be a niche truck appealing to those that eschew using their pickups and instead deck them out with 26" spinners and flourescent lights. I can attest to that because that's a good number of Titans I've seen. It may not be "half-assing", but it isn't full-assing. Not yet. If ever.

Well you know, historically the Ram has always been #3...and as I previously mentioned...there's brand loyalty. Which means owners tend stick to that brand. Now then, when they refeshed the, did they address it's driving dynamics or lackthereof? did they address it's horrible interior that looks worse than the previous gen pickups, did they give the V8 a 5 speed? did they increase output of said V8 to match the Hemi? Nope. Only the SS if you want to call that thing"super sport" and next to the SRT-10...it's pathetic.

Also. They made it uglier. I pray the GMT900 Sliverado will look better.

I guess they haven't let it rot, but at the same time, they didn't do enough for it. It may sell better than the Ram, which it always has, but it's still 2nd ro the F-150, which it has been for like 20+ years (I forget exactly how many).

Hmm...interesting..first time I can think of where the GM full size trucks and SUVs didn't have the same dash design within the same generation. Doesn't look as nice as the Tahoe, IMHO...looks too utilitarian..

Hopefully, the 'professional grade' GMCs will be more upscale and less gray plastic inside..

GMC has been getting different interior colors...

also yes, its nice to see a bit more work truck in this... if i were a business owner, i wouldnt want a tahoe interior i'd be afraid to damage it.

You people all talk about these truck features as if they were chips in a poker game!

And everybody is playing a bluff hand!

Trucks first, foremost and always are work vehicles. The ability to perform

various tasks is the primary objective of any fleet manager, who has to buy the most bang for the buck!

He couldn't give a rats' ass what shade of grey the dash is, does it give the

information that he needs for his operators to do their jobs!

You all assume functionality is an add-on accessory that you can buy and add

to your frew-frew queen.

Looks? To most fleet managers, they couldn't care less. It is the wanna-bes

who worry if the upholstry will clash with tonights outfit!

I looked closely at the pics of the dash, and even tho this was a spy photo,

and had an add-on trailer brake controller on the left of the column, I did not see

any built-in!

Guages? seems to be a contest to eliminate as many as possible! Let'em

add them on as aftermarket if they want that info.

Someone said that this truck had an Allison transmission. But I didn't see

a trans temp guage in the array!

One of my pet peeves, ---- if the drivers know how to use'em, is no vaccuum

guage! Especially now with gas prices going thru the roof!

Your loyalty is commendable guys, but you need to wake up and take a dose

of----- reality! 8)

the reason i suggested it was a allyson was because of the [+/-] button on the shifter, to suggest the 6sp gear selector...

how many people use their silverados as their family vehicle... thats why crew cabs became so popular was because people use them as the house hold vehicle... it holds up to 6 people(another reason they changed the dash... the middle seat up front couldnt fit anyone), and the bed makes it useful to the man of the house... and ultimate vehicle... they must maintain that...

the reason i suggested it was a allyson was because of the [+/-] button on the shifter, to suggest the 6sp gear selector...

how many people use their silverados as their family vehicle... thats why crew cabs became so popular was because people use them as the house hold vehicle... it holds up to 6 people(another reason they changed the dash... the middle seat up front couldnt fit anyone),  and the bed makes it useful to the man of the house... and ultimate vehicle... they must maintain that...

The [+/-] button can also be the tow-mode switch that has been on current 4l60E

trannies!

Crew cabs also became popular as work trucks because a lot of jobs need a 3 or

4 man crew, and it is always cheaper to send one truck, than two.

Utility companies were the ones who pushed this! 8)

I'm glad a bought a 2006 Silverado.

The problem is people have forgotten what trucks are made for. GM got a bad rap for the interiors but they were more function before fashion. I had a 1996 K1500 and the interior was perfect. It was laid out logically & SIMPLE. All that chrome and the layout make it look like the inside of a Monte Carlo. Very sad that these trucks have fell to the yuppies who got bored with their SUVs. :angry:

EDIT: I will reserve more detailed judgement when the official pictures are released and I see the interiors of higher trim levels.

Edited by camaro

As long as the dash is well built, functional and user friendly, I don't care what materials are used... It's only the urban cowboy crowd who will care about the little things. After all, the current GM/Chevy trucks still sell well despite the dash, which kind of means that a real truck buyer could care less about "unimportant" interior appointments.

The Contracter who needs a dependable truck that won't break down when on a deadline is not going to care about the plastics quality.

The Rancher/Farmer who needs a truck that can last (or even outlast) their lifetime will likely not give a :censored: about the HVAC console being a different colour.

And the lawn technicians and maintenance crews are likely to overlook the upholstry materials as long as the vehicle offers best in class fuel economy and power.

I have no problem with optioning out a truck. But maybe if you are more concerned about wood trim design or CD changer capacity than the box length or trailering, then maybe, just maybe, you should be looking at a different class of vehicle.

As long as the dash is well built, functional and user friendly, I don't care what materials are used... It's only the urban cowboy crowd who will care about the little things. After all, the current GM/Chevy trucks still sell well despite the dash, which kind of means that a real truck buyer could care less about "unimportant" interior appointments.

The Contracter who needs a dependable truck that won't break down when on a deadline is not going to care about the plastics quality.

The Rancher/Farmer who needs a truck that can last (or even outlast) their lifetime will likely not give a  :censored:  about the HVAC console being a different colour.

And the lawn technicians and maintenance crews are likely to overlook the upholstry materials as long as the vehicle offers best in class fuel economy and power.

I have no problem with optioning out a truck. But maybe if you are more concerned about wood trim design or CD changer capacity than the box length or trailering, then maybe, just maybe, you should be looking at a different class of vehicle.

And I say, "Amen",

I mean that with a capital AMEN !!!!

You have not only hit the nail on the head Captain, you done sunk it in one blow!

Stick around and stay on the soapbox!

The [+/-] button can also be the tow-mode switch that has been on current 4l60E

trannies!

Crew cabs also became popular as work trucks because a lot of jobs need a 3 or

4 man crew, and it is always cheaper to send one truck, than two.

Utility companies were the ones who pushed this! 8)

no the Tow Haul mode is at the end of the stick...

where as the current Allyson transmission includes an additional button to upshift and downshift on the outer edge of the shifter...

as for the crew cab comment, we dont sell any fleet at our dealership so i wouldnt know... i just know our customers... use them for primary transportion to and from work... also to cart around their familys

The Rancher/Farmer who needs a truck that can last (or even outlast) their lifetime will likely not give a  :censored:  about the HVAC console being a different colour.

There are plenty of other people who buy trucks too.

Maybe, just maybe, those people you listed will see how much better the interiors in other trucks are and realize "Wow, this is great!" and buy it instead. And maybe, just maybe, people who didn't want a truck becuase of crude interiors before will now buy one instead of a car because of the added utility. And guess what? That means increase profit for GM :thumbsup:

The full-size trucks have to be great, even after Zeta comes on line in full force to take some of the heat off of them as personal transportation. I personally cannot wait to see what they have in store for us.

This is why I love C&G. There's always someone out there with better insight and more thoughtfullness who serves me my rear end on a platter.

:CG_all:

That's what you get when you're a wiseass teenager I guess.

Edited by Captainbooyah

The full-size trucks have to be great, even after Zeta comes on line in full force to take some of the heat off of them as personal transportation.  I personally cannot wait to see what they have in store for us.

Zeta vehicles stealing sales from trucks :stupid:

Could you maybe explain your rationale?

:thumbsup:

There are plenty of other people who buy trucks too.

Maybe, just maybe, those people you listed will see how much better the interiors in other trucks are and realize "Wow, this is great!" and buy it instead. And maybe, just maybe, people who didn't want a truck becuase of crude interiors before will now buy one instead of a car because of the added utility. And guess what? That means increase profit for GM  :thumbsup:

Hey Northstar!

Wake up & read the whole thread. This was(is) commentary on a basic WORK

truck interior, not a frew-frew queen!

In that ball game, functionality and durability outscore pretty!

If you want "pretty" go upscale, but if you want to know what's goin' on ----

and will it do it forever, you need a different score card! :stupid:

Trucks = moving stuff and off road ability :P

Cars = Driving really fast :ohyeah:

Vans = moving people or stuff :blink:

SUV's = moving people, stuff, or having offroad ability :unsure:

the only thing interior should be is:

easy on the eyes, comfortable and functional which only really applies to civilian vehicles as in ones not used for a work function. any work vehicles should suit the owners needs to have the employee get the job done. end of story. now for those who need trucks only here and there and buy one anyway... i can understand the need for the options of base and high-end interiors. so both the workers and the civilians can have their cake and eat it too

product should be made with the consumer in mind

Zeta vehicles stealing sales from trucks :stupid:

Could you maybe explain your rationale?

He meant stealing the thunder or attention of the trucks. The Zeta program is more important to GM then the GMT900 program. Why? Because GM knows how to make trucks well so it's not too much of a stretch to make an outstanding work-horse of pick-up. People know that GM trucks are reliable, so it's also no big effort on GM's part to get people to buy them.

Large RWD vehicles are harder to produce for GM because it hasn't produced any in about a decade.

So, GM will have pull out all the stops (we hope they do) and make the Zeta vehicles better then it's competitors in every way to make them stand out.

What that should mean: outstanding interior/exterior.

That's what I think he meant by that.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Hey Northstar!

Since when did only people who need trucks buy trucks? And not everyone has 30k to spend, so alot of people buy the basic truck to keep the price down. I know so many people who buy trucks, and dont use them for truck things. GM needs to broaden their appeal, thats why they are getting nicer interiors.

Hey Northstar!

Well, I guess if you want GM to have only the less-profitable low end market then that's okay, except for the fact that sales would probably be halved. I wonder what that would do to the bottom line? :duh:

I've rarely heard of someone turning down something because it was "too nice," so unless that's the case with truck buyers, I don't see why GM would want to cheap-out on their most important product.

Answer me this: Currently, almost every other truck has a nicer interior than GM's trucks. And, guess which trucks take huge incentives to move? GM's trucks. Maybe the interior is somewhat important. :scratchchin:

His point seems pretty obvious to me,Croc. And, I agree with him.

Well could you please explain then? I don't really see how large RWD cars would replace trucks as personal transportation (I don't see too many people buying trucks for personal transport like SUV buyers do). People buy trucks for different reasons than cars. The two have very different characteristics. Cars don't have the high driving position, and they won't have the towing ability. Both are very important to GM, but I don't see them being cross-shopped at all.

Remember, the B-bodies were cancelled due to rising SUV sales, not B-bodies being cancelled resulting in rising SUV sales. I just don't see the Zeta vehicles stealing sales from trucks/SUVs in any meaningful way. I DO see Lambda crossovers stealing BOF SUV sales...and I see Zeta vehicles getting a lot of conquest sales.

Edited by Croc

Croc: I think ocnblu was simply saying the Zetas will be personal transportation, not necessarily that the trucks would be personal transportation and then the Zetas would replace them as PT.

In other words, the T900s will be carrying the load, but when the Zetas come they will take some of the heat off of the T900s by giving GM something exciting that provides people with personal transportation.

Croc: I think ocnblu was simply saying the Zetas will be personal transportation, not necessarily that the trucks would be personal transportation and then the Zetas would replace them as PT.

In other words, the T900s will be carrying the load, but when the Zetas come they will take some of the heat off of the T900s by giving GM something exciting that provides people with personal transportation.

That makes sense. I guess I was just thrown off by the phrase "take the heat off" the trucks as PT...which to me implies the trucks are being relied upon as PT...which I do not see. Thanks for clarifying.

A great quantity of consumers switched over to trucks in order to get V-8, RWD, full-frame, over-engineered, full-size vehicles... like the full-size RWD cars that GM used to make. I did. These not only had cargo & passenger room but also towing ability.

A well-executed Zeta portfolio -esp coupled with fuel cost concerns- could pull the scale back to a car-dominant market again.

Cadillacfan= >>"...make the Zeta vehicles better then it's competitors in every way to make them stand out.

"<<

Please name some competitors that have debuted/been redesigned and bettered every one of their competitors in every way. I'm not sure that's ever happened.

A great quantity of consumers switched over to trucks in order to get V-8, RWD, full-frame, over-engineered, full-size vehicles... like the full-size RWD cars that GM used to make. I did. These not only had cargo & passenger room but also towing ability.

A well-executed Zeta portfolio -esp coupled with fuel cost concerns- could pull the scale back to a car-dominant market again.

Cadillacfan= >>"...make the Zeta vehicles better then it's competitors in every way to make them stand out.

"<<

Please name some competitors that have debuted/been redesigned and bettered every one of their competitors in every way. I'm not sure that's ever happened.

Well, with the exception of the non-fold-flat third row seat, I'd say the Tahoe is better in basically every way than any of its competitors.

I don't see why GM can't give the Zetas better handling, more power, better fuel economy, more refined engines, better interiors, and better styling than the LX cars. The handling and power are both there for the LX cars, but fuel economy is average, the 3.6 and LSx engines are more refined than the 3.5 and Hemi, the interiors are average (so I would hope a 2009MY car could have a better interior than a 2005MY car that has an avg. interior for 2006), and the styling while bold really is nothing that makes you drop your jaw in awe.

A good number of people who miss meaningful cars had to switch to trucks for personal transportation. Zeta gives them a reason to get back into a car with the characteristics they desire. RWD with available V8 power and a roomy cabin. That is what I meant in my above post. Plenty of people buy a pickup truck as their primary, or only vehicle, yet do very little hauling except for maybe an occasional trip to the home improvement store.

Pickup trucks are now more refined than ever, Croc. Most even have automatic transmission, power steering and brakes. Some even have (get this) power windows, locks and mirrors... and leather seats! So yeah, pickup trucks are used as personal transportation, and I will venture to say it is at least partly because cars have been castrated with transverse 4 and 6 cylinder engines and FWD. I've made this point before and it still stands.

A good number of people who miss meaningful cars had to switch to trucks for personal transportation.  Zeta gives them a reason to get back into a car with the characteristics they desire.  RWD with available V8 power and a roomy cabin.  That is what I meant in my above post.  Plenty of people buy a pickup truck as their primary, or only vehicle, yet do very little hauling except for maybe an occasional trip to the home improvement store.

Pickup trucks are now more refined than ever, Croc.  Most even have automatic transmission, power steering and brakes.  Some even have (get this)  power windows, locks and mirrors... and leather seats!  So yeah, pickup trucks are used as personal transportation, and I will venture to say it is at least partly because cars have been castrated with transverse 4 and 6 cylinder engines and FWD.  I've made this point before and it still stands.

100% agreed.

I would actually argue that the consumers were switching to SUVs not for RWD but for AWD.

The SUVs were a burgeoning trend before GM cancelled the B-bodies.

I would argue that it is the functionality and command seating position and for some the availability of awd that has driven the switch to multi purpose vehicles since the early 90's.

Now with looming fuel cost, when sales numbers are released this afternoon, we shall see if September 2005 Version 2.0 will repeat itself.

A good number of people who miss meaningful cars had to switch to trucks for personal transportation.  Zeta gives them a reason to get back into a car with the characteristics they desire.  RWD with available V8 power and a roomy cabin.  That is what I meant in my above post.  Plenty of people buy a pickup truck as their primary, or only vehicle, yet do very little hauling except for maybe an occasional trip to the home improvement store.

Pickup trucks are now more refined than ever, Croc.  Most even have automatic transmission, power steering and brakes.  Some even have (get this)  power windows, locks and mirrors... and leather seats!  So yeah, pickup trucks are used as personal transportation, and I will venture to say it is at least partly because cars have been castrated with transverse 4 and 6 cylinder engines and FWD.  I've made this point before and it still stands.

:thumbsup: We still do have intelligent people on here. :)

I would argue that it is the functionality and command seating position and for some the availability of awd that has driven the switch to multi purpose vehicles since the early 90's. 

Now with looming fuel cost, when sales numbers are released this afternoon, we shall see if September 2005 Version 2.0 will repeat itself.

The command seating does it for me, though I'll stick to crossovers since I like some degree of handling and performance as well as some semblance of decent gas mileage.

Too bad GM doesn't have diesel engines to offer...I'd snap a diesel SRX up in a heartbeat.

Those features have been there since the early 90s, and my uncle's 1992 Silverado (a work truck, BTW) has them all.

I fail to see how the availability of certain features proves their use as personal transportation...but whatever I'll engage in a suspension of disbelief for a minute.

SUVs are widely used as personal transportation. Pickup trucks are...but to a much lesser degree since they are not as flexible as SUVs.

I really would like to know why you think RWD trucks have been the selling point when the sales trends have indicated a preference toward AWD, especially for those using them as personal transportation. People in the snow belt have turned to AWD (up until recently only available on trucks and SUVs) for its superior snow handling.

Really, the only trucks that I have seen with a large personal transportation (versus strictly work) use are the Avalanche and Escalade EXT because they provide the flexibility for cargo and passengers. Unless you buy crew cab, a pickup isn't that passenger-friendly, and even then, less so than a comparable SUV.

Again, I don't think the Zetas will steal sales from F-150, Silverado/Sierra, Ram, etc...they will steal sales away from Avalon, 300©, Charger/Magnum, Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, Maxima, and the other similar cars in the same size classes. Wouldn't you rather them do that, anyways? Trucks are a stronghold of the Big 2.5, and I would never advocate internal sales cannibalization. I'd rather the sales be taking heat off of the foreign competition, and I think they will. If anything takes the heat off of trucks, it will be crossover SUVs and other similar vehicles that offer comparable features to trucks: AWD, command seating, cargo flexibility, V8, etc...I just don't see very many people forsaking the open truck bed and command seating for the enclosed trunk and butt to the floor seating just because of RWD and V8. I really don't.

Let's just wait and see what happens when the Zetas come to market...then we will see who is more and less correct.

The command seating does it for me, though I'll stick to crossovers since I like some degree of handling and performance as well as some semblance of decent gas mileage.

Too bad GM doesn't have diesel engines to offer...I'd snap a diesel SRX up in a heartbeat.

That's my plan! Minus the diesel.

Not available.

Well duh...I'm just saying I wish it were...I'll settle for either gas engine in the SRX, but a diesel would make it impossible to turn down.

BTW--is the 07 SRX interior refresh meaningful or is it halfassed?

Well duh...I'm just saying I wish it were...I'll settle for either gas engine in the SRX, but a diesel would make it impossible to turn down.

BTW--is the 07 SRX interior refresh meaningful or is it halfassed?

I do not know I have not talked to anybody about it.

• 1 month later...

It is amazing that people don't want to call a duck a duck.

SUV's, SUP's Burp's, Belches, whatever...........

All of these vehicles represent...... STATION WAGONS!

There! I said it! the dirty word that nobody dares to use anymore! That is what

all of these utility-type vehicles represent.

They are passenger-carrying, multi-purpose vehicles, that can function,

sometimes, in less than ideal driving conditions, i.e., AWD, but they all

serve a purpose.

Who was the idiot who decreed that station wagon was a dirty word, or that

minivans had to be for soccer moms?

Ride them out of town on a rail, pole, spike, phallic symbol, call it what you will.

Let's hear one for .......REALITY !!!!!

:yes:

Let's hear it for people posting in a thread two months after it went dead!!!

Station Wagons are car based, SUVs are truck.. simple as that. Even though they offer a lot of similar features, SUVs, especially the GMT 900s are much larger and offer people the ability to tow a heavy trailers, boats, etc. The newer crossover SUVs are much similar to station wagons but are still different in size and offerings.

Let's hear it for people posting in a thread two months after it went dead!!!

Station Wagons are car based, SUVs are truck.. simple as that.  Even though they offer a lot of similar features, SUVs, especially the GMT 900s are much larger and offer people the ability to tow a heavy trailers, boats, etc.  The newer crossover SUVs are much similar to station wagons but are still different in size and offerings.

160700[/snapback]

If it went dead, then why did you respond?

The line and definition of car-based vs. truck based has definitely been blurred

by the elimination of separate full-frames. The factories, including GM are calling

unibody structures SUV's or in some cases "cross-overs"

I want to know what did they "cross-over?" Reality???

It is more advertising B/S being propagated for people who don't know their

gas tank from a can of beans--(they both give gas, don't they?)

By your definition a BMW M5 or the Mercedes versions are station wagons, but they call them SUVs!

Why muddy the waters and confuse people even more? To sell more vehicles,

of course!

Get real!!!! :scratchchin: