I bought a Cruze diesel

If you send me your contact details. i'll get it over to the Chevy folks. 

I am going to hold off for the moment as the initial feedback is that it is different codes related to the EGR system.  I will wait until I get the full feedback regarding what the issue is and what the fix is and I'll let you know if I would like to pull them in.  I do appreciate the offer for help, though.  That type of thing is one of the reasons I really like this website.  You are always willing to help out.

If you send me your contact details. i'll get it over to the Chevy folks. 

I am going to hold off for the moment as the initial feedback is that it is different codes related to the EGR system.  I will wait until I get the full feedback regarding what the issue is and what the fix is and I'll let you know if I would like to pull them in.  I do appreciate the offer for help, though.  That type of thing is one of the reasons I really like this website.  You are always willing to help out.

I've mentioned your issue to the Chevy PR guy before and they just want to make sure you are satisfied.

i think because there will be a 2017 diesel, i do believe GM is willing to do what they can to make sure the current diesel owners are taken care of.  I do think they are using the Cruze to pick into some of VW's diesel niche, purposely.

By the time the 17 model is available, it should have about what, 4 years of road service in Opels and the like.  I would hope then that it won't have any glitches when it hits the US market.

I got the car back yesterday.  No P0133 code shown on the repair order this time around.  Just a couple of codes that were apparently both EGR related (I didn't check - just what I was told).  They replaced EGR sensor #2 and sent me on my way.

Glad to hear they are taking care of you and was an easy fix. I am sure they are working out the fine details to make a broader pitch of diesel options in the near future.

I just wish they would have worked the bugs out BEFORE launch and hope that is exactly what they do for the next diesel powertrain.  People in this country already have a relatively negative opinion of diesel.  The last thing they need are a bunch of stories about problems people are experiencing posted online.

• 3 weeks later...

All is well at this time.  Last tank was a bit of anomaly.  I got a particularly sloooooow pump and that resulted in the car taking 16.2 gallons of diesel in what is supposedly a 15.6 gallon tank.  That led to what is almost surely a miscalculated tank:  587.6 miles on 14.987 gallons for 39.2 mpg.  The EVIC said 35.5 MPG at 34.0 mph average so I would say it really was closer to 37 MPG actual.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

had many check engine light issues?  there have been a handful of folks on a cruze forum that seem to repeatedly have issues with CEL's and related bits.  A bigger issue is apparently not a lot of dealers know how to tend to and service the diesel.  Even oil changes are a risky deal.

Edited by regfootball

• 5 months later...

had many check engine light issues?  there have been a handful of folks on a cruze forum that seem to repeatedly have issues with CEL's and related bits.  A bigger issue is apparently not a lot of dealers know how to tend to and service the diesel.  Even oil changes are a risky deal.

Many CEL's unfortunately.  No problems with the dealership, though.  They were great.  They brought in GM service reps on several occasions to try and get the issues sorted out.  But...

for a final update to my ownership experience, I regret to inform everybody that the reason it has been a while since I posted in this thread is because I decided to pursue a repurchase of the car by GM and I wanted to see how the process played out before posting again.  In the end, it went smoothly and the car is back in their possession.

So what are my thoughts on all of this you ask?  Well, you probably weren't going to ask but I am going to tell you anyway! :D  My dealership was fantastic to work with!  They are the primary reason why this ordeal has not really soured me on GM.  There are two other factors for this as well:  the car never left me stranded and the repurchase was not contentious.

After my last CEL (# 7 in 1.5 years), and the fact that the final fix was the same one they performed the first time left me without much confidence that GM had figured out what the problem was.  It was too bad because I really did like the car.  It rode great and drove great and I am firmly in the diesel camp now after owning my first one.  The car got great mileage even though my commute was not ideal for the car.  Despite all the CEL's, the operation of the car was never affected.  One of my big concerns, though, was what would a resale of this car look like for me with the service history it had?  7 trips to the dealership in the first year and a half was going to affect my resale value when it came time to sell.  I thought they would show on a Carfax and would also obviously show up if someone checked the service history of the car at their local dealership.  It is not my way to mislead someone when selling a car and I would have been upfront with them about the issues.

I really hope GM gets the Cruze right for the 2016 redo, especially the diesel option.  I also hope they learned from the issues with the 2014 Cruze diesel and were able to apply those lessons learned to both the diesel Colorado/Canyon and the MY16 version Cruze.  I think it looks great and would even consider purchasing another one but this time I would probably let someone else be the guinea pig and wait at least until the second model year so I knew what I was getting into. :D

Sorry to hear you had so many problems that it ended up being repurchased by GM. Guess it is true what they say, you either really do have an auto that runs with no problems or you get a lemon that is just one issue after another.

Wonder how many they ended up repurchasing? It would be an interesting fact and a tall tell sign of what was going on with the car diesels in general.

If these issues showed up here did they also show up in Europe or does Europe not require the same sensors? What is the real difference between the two  versions?

Well great that the repurchase went smoothly.   What are you getting to replace it?  The next Cruze diesel is a completely different engine and has been running around in the Astra and Mokka for a couple years now.

It was not a fast process by any means.  I thought it would go quite a bit quicker but in the end it wound up taking 4+ months.  The Cruze was replaced by a used Town & Country minivan.  My Dad had one and loved it so I thought I would give it a try.  I had it for all of a week before my "I'll never drive a minivan" wife took it over. LOL  I bought it knowing that would happen once she was reminded how much easier it is to get the kids in and out through power sliding doors.  Practicality won out over style for once.  Now I am driving the 300 until the lease is up.

"I had it for all of a week before my "I'll never drive a minivan" wife took it over"

​we ended up with our town and country after getting a caravan as a rental one weekend.  We had been shopping Acadias, traverse, Explorers at the time.

After that weekend, it was 'i really liked that van'.  that's how we got our T&C

• 3 weeks later...

"I had it for all of a week before my "I'll never drive a minivan" wife took it over"

​we ended up with our town and country after getting a caravan as a rental one weekend.  We had been shopping Acadias, traverse, Explorers at the time.

After that weekend, it was 'i really liked that van'.  that's how we got our T&C

We had rented one back in 2011 and another in 2012 and she liked them both.  Plus she liked my Dad's.  The issue was never with the vehicle itself.  It was always with the image.  I knew when I bought it that she would end up driving it.  It really has all the attributes she likes other than styling.  High seating position, easy ingress/egress, power doors, power lift gate, etc. She says now she doesn't even think about it and that it isn't really any different to drive than the many CUV's she's had.  She loves being able to buckle our daughter in without banging her head on the roof or having to duck under.

• 1 year later...

have had a 2014 diesel Cruze for 95k miles.3 1/2 years. Great mileage & performance. Do get the occasional check engine light but drive thru those . They eventually reset. Will be looking @ a new Cruze in a couple years around 150k miles hopefully. Lifetime around 44 mpg with the car.2nd set of tires & oil changes so far.