Sign in to follow this  
dfelt

Could a Corvette V8 Family of engines be used to replace all engines world wide by offering a V8, V6, V4 and V2 versions?

Could a Corvette family of V Engines Work?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. If GM took the Corvette V8 and made a V6, V4 and V2 Engine line, would it be a solid Univeral Engine family to replace all other Gas engines?

• Yes - That would rock in both tubo and non turbo versions
    • No - The Corvette engine is only good as a V8.
    • Maybe - But I think there would be technical hurdles.

So with all the discussions that we have had about various engines and how the auto companies are pushing to standardize engine families across the world to address the tax's imposed on size, this made me wonder about why GM has never built a complete family of V engines based on the tough durable Corvette Push Rod V8.

I admit I do not have the engineering chops to dig into the fine details and invite those here that do to share with us what they think the HP, Torque and Efficiency would be like on a family of Push rod V engines. This would include my desire to know if a V2 could work as a efficient engine for the Subcompact market?

My thoughts

Base line Corvette DI V8 Push rod Engine with VVT as the Foundation.

Engine variations:

DI V6 standard

DI V6 Turbo

DI V6 Twin Turbo

DI V4 standard

DI V4 Turbo

DI V4 Twin Turbo

DI V2 standard

DI V2 Turbo

DI V2 Twin Turbo

Thoughts on this engine family?

I figure the use of 6, 8 and 10 speed Transmissions as you have to address the marketing needs even if the difference is very small between the gains of an 8 versus 10 speed transmission.

So what would the HP and Torque figures be like?

Unless you're looking at a completely different transmission mounting from current, the V4s and V2s are non-starters for FWD vehicles.

Hell, for a V2, I would almost mount it on its side instead.

I admit I did forget about the FWD need for their own special transmissions. I think it is an interesting thought about what you could do and the V2 could allow some interesting designs that larger motors could not offer.

V2s aren't all that great from a noise-vibration standpoint. I don't think they would be acceptable in anything above a Spark or Sonic..... possibly the Volt as the onboard regenerator, thus, their application in the US would be quite limited. It could be used in countries with displacement taxes or that are big on microcars though.

I believe the best way to mount it would be in a flat configuration with the drive shaft oriented vertically and the open end of the V pointed towards the front of the car. Then run the power to a longitudinal mounted FWD transmission via a 90 degree gear. Such a setup would be extremely compact and could even be rear mounted if you wanted to get fancy with either a city car or a Corvair like sports car.

I Like your thinking, that would make for some exciting small micro city cars that GM could really lead on. :yes:

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Rumor has it that the next AMG C63 will be the first of a number of models to ditch their V8 in favor of 4-cylinder hybrid power. According to Autocar, the C63 could also lose a rear-wheel drive option, going instead with standard all-wheel drive. 
      The engine would be an electrified version of the new M139 turbocharged 2.0-liter.  In it's most powerful current form, it is the most powerful 4-cylinder in production anywhere putting out 416 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque, and that's without any electric boosting.  The engine was engineered to be mounted transversely or longitudinally and also with an eye on hybridization.
      For the C63, the M139 engine would adopt a 48 volt starter motor similar to the one used in the CLS 53 4Matic.  On that car, the motor provides an additional 22 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque, however in the C63, it would be tuned for even more power to reach up to a total system horsepower over 500. 
      One main advantage to this setup would be a significant reduction in weight over the front axle.  Additionally, the engine/motor combination has a lower center of gravity, that would be expected to improve handling and control. 
      Moving the C63 to a hybrid powertrain is consistent with Mercedes' desire to reduce fleet CO2 emissions.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Rumor has it that the next AMG C63 will be the first of a number of models to ditch their V8 in favor of 4-cylinder hybrid power. According to Autocar, the C63 could also lose a rear-wheel drive option, going instead with standard all-wheel drive. 
      The engine would be an electrified version of the new M139 turbocharged 2.0-liter.  In it's most powerful current form, it is the most powerful 4-cylinder in production anywhere putting out 416 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque, and that's without any electric boosting.  The engine was engineered to be mounted transversely or longitudinally and also with an eye on hybridization.
      For the C63, the M139 engine would adopt a 48 volt starter motor similar to the one used in the CLS 53 4Matic.  On that car, the motor provides an additional 22 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque, however in the C63, it would be tuned for even more power to reach up to a total system horsepower over 500. 
      One main advantage to this setup would be a significant reduction in weight over the front axle.  Additionally, the engine/motor combination has a lower center of gravity, that would be expected to improve handling and control. 
      Moving the C63 to a hybrid powertrain is consistent with Mercedes' desire to reduce fleet CO2 emissions.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      As we wrote late last month, the Jaguar XJ is about to use up one of its nine lives. The big cat gets euthanized next month without a direct replacement ready for market.  However, we also told you that the cat will be back, possibly as an electric vehicle next time.  At an investor meeting Jaguar confirmed that to be true.
      Jaguar is working on a new Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA) platform for use under the next XJ and for the next Range Rover.  The flexible platform is capable of being used in electric, plug-in hybrid, or mild-hybrid configurations.  It is also being designed to be very light weight, eventually to be used to replace all five of the platforms that Jaguar Land Rover uses.  Jaguar Land Rover hopes to increase profits by reducing the number of architectures.  Jaguar does plan to continue to develop the I-Pace platform which is unrelated to MLA.
      The XJ's direct replacement will launch first as a electric model with a predicted range of 292 miles using a 90.2 kWh battery. Later, 6-cylinder models (likely the new inline-6 recently shown in Range Rover) will become available.  The 292 mile range in the XJ would rival the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan.
      For those who prefer a plug-in hybrid, the MLA platform will use a 13.1 kWh battery giving an estimated EV range of about 31 miles. Mild-Hybrid versions get a belt-alternator-starter setup to give a small electric boost at start.
      Also on the MLA platform will be the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. Both names currently offer plug-in hybrid versions, but the new MLA platform could enable the Range Rover to be available in an all electric version.  Land Rover has not yet confirmed this to be the case.   The Range Rover would come first with the Sport following close behind in 2021.
      All of this comes in the background of huge job cuts at Jaguar after a record $4.6 billion loss.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      As we wrote late last month, the Jaguar XJ is about to use up one of its nine lives. The big cat gets euthanized next month without a direct replacement ready for market.  However, we also told you that the cat will be back, possibly as an electric vehicle next time.  At an investor meeting Jaguar confirmed that to be true.
      Jaguar is working on a new Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA) platform for use under the next XJ and for the next Range Rover.  The flexible platform is capable of being used in electric, plug-in hybrid, or mild-hybrid configurations.  It is also being designed to be very light weight, eventually to be used to replace all five of the platforms that Jaguar Land Rover uses.  Jaguar Land Rover hopes to increase profits by reducing the number of architectures.  Jaguar does plan to continue to develop the I-Pace platform which is unrelated to MLA.
      The XJ's direct replacement will launch first as a electric model with a predicted range of 292 miles using a 90.2 kWh battery. Later, 6-cylinder models (likely the new inline-6 recently shown in Range Rover) will become available.  The 292 mile range in the XJ would rival the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan.
      For those who prefer a plug-in hybrid, the MLA platform will use a 13.1 kWh battery giving an estimated EV range of about 31 miles. Mild-Hybrid versions get a belt-alternator-starter setup to give a small electric boost at start.
      Also on the MLA platform will be the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. Both names currently offer plug-in hybrid versions, but the new MLA platform could enable the Range Rover to be available in an all electric version.  Land Rover has not yet confirmed this to be the case.   The Range Rover would come first with the Sport following close behind in 2021.
      All of this comes in the background of huge job cuts at Jaguar after a record $4.6 billion loss.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The 2020 E-Class is moving to a new base engine and at the same time, changing the base designation from E300 to E350.  The updated 2.0-liter turbo-charged 4-cylinder makes slightly (14) more horsepower at 255 than the outgoing engine, and the torque stays the same at 273 lb-ft.  C&D tested the old E300 and found the zero to 60 mph time to be lackluster at 6.5 second.  The new engine shaves half a second off the C300 4Matic and could make similar improvements in the E350. Power is routed through a 9-speed automatic. Mercedes 4Matic can be ordered for an additional $2,500.
      Along with the engine change comes a base price increase of $550.   
  • Recent Status Updates

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook