Chinese Buick GL8 mini van video

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I still think this would fit well with the U.S. lineup at Buick.

I agree too. The other thing is..Chevrolet and GMC will want a version too. If it did become a United States vehicle, it should be a Buick "only" vehicle. It would have to have some luxury features added for the American market. I could see this van successfully completing against the minivans here in the United States.

It's interesting that this is just an evolution of the last GM Mini-vans that we had here. Further proof that GM doesn't really care about the US Domestic market

We got this dopy looking thing:

attachicon.gif2006_Buick_Terraza-2.jpg

And China got this good looking Mini-van:

attachicon.gifbuick-gl8-china-express-opt.jpg

I thought it was just me that noticed GM does not treat North America right anymore. They give the Chinese models we do not have and treat them better than they treat them home market. I remember years ago when I saw their better looking W Body Regal and their first generation LaCrosse. I know they are making money over there. I know and understand Buick over there too. There are so many holes in the North American market and segments they walked away from on top of that. Hyundai and Kia are doing what Oldsmobile used to do with their upper level exercitives cars( Cadenza, K900, Optima). Anyone home? Then they try to force Chevrolets on everyone and we all do not want them. Chevrolet cannot and will not everything to everyone.

I thought it was just me.

• Upvote 1

WOW, That Van once past the A pillar screams Honda Odyssey. No wonder GM never brought it here. Honda would sue for piracy.

I agree that GM is focusing the CUV/SUV on the US market, but there is still room for a decent Minivan here from GM. This SHOULD stay Buick ONLY. No more twins or triplets.

I could never see GMC getting this as all dealerships is my understanding are now Buick/GMC and this DOES NOT fit into the GMC Family.

WOW, That Van once past the A pillar screams Honda Odyssey. No wonder GM never brought it here. Honda would sue for piracy.

I agree that GM is focusing the CUV/SUV on the US market, but there is still room for a decent Minivan here from GM. This SHOULD stay Buick ONLY. No more twins or triplets.

I could never see GMC getting this as all dealerships is my understanding are now Buick/GMC and this DOES NOT fit into the GMC Family.

Honda could sue for Piracy, but would lose. They went into production at exactly the same time.

The Chinese van looks way better than the woeful Terezza or Terraza, I don't even remember how to spell it, it was so forgettable. However, I don't think a Buick minivan would sell in the USA no matter how it looked. A Chevy minivan may sell, but the problem is they'd have to build a better van than the Odyssey, the minivan market has moved to imports, except for the fleet and discount buyer that buys the Caravan. GM seems to struggle in the mainstream segment, the Malibu can't compete, they gave up on minivans, it is like they don't understand how to build a family car.

The Buick mini-van wouldn't have to sell at Honda like numbers.... market it as a premium van instead and make money on the markup. Hell even if they only move 8,000 chinese built GL8s here, that's 8,000 more than were sold if they don't sell them here.

But to sell it here, they would have to have EPA certification, and US crash test certifications, etc. Getting it to meet all of our standards and paying the money to certify it might not be worth what you'd make on 8,000 units a year. This is why all these other imports like the Catera, Astra, GTO, G8, etc all fail. Costs too much to bring a low volume car here that isn't designed to be here, then they mark the price up to compensate and sales dry up.

I'd listen to the argument of GM building a global minivan though, but I wouldn't make it a Buick, I would make it a Chevy.

But to sell it here, they would have to have EPA certification, and US crash test certifications, etc. Getting it to meet all of our standards and paying the money to certify it might not be worth what you'd make on 8,000 units a year. This is why all these other imports like the Catera, Astra, GTO, G8, etc all fail. Costs too much to bring a low volume car here that isn't designed to be here, then they mark the price up to compensate and sales dry up.

I'd listen to the argument of GM building a global minivan though, but I wouldn't make it a Buick, I would make it a Chevy.

Not again! Sometimes tinfoil hat is just welded to the head. BTW Astra cost was ~$125M to get US certified, far less than ~$2B Chevroletdes Benz spends to develop a platform. None of the cars were failures for the reason you mention.

You forget that this was an American platform first. The getting it to meet our standards part is mostly done.

The Catera failed because we got the worst engine offered coupled with gremlin electronics.

The Astra failed because they didn't even advertise the damn thing.

The GTO and G8 didn't fail.

Cars like the Odyssey, Civic, Corolla, VW Golf, Avalon, even the Nissan 350/370Z have stuck around. Where as Venture, Uplander, Terrazza, Lucerne, Cobalt, Astra, G8, Catera, etc are a lot of one and dones. When you get it right, you don't have to drop the model or the nameplate after one generation and start over. I don't really think GM can get a van right, they have blundered it many times.

Don't be obtuse. Astra died because Saturn died... but Astra is still here in the Verano appropriately rebranded for Buick. G8 is still here too. Cobalt moved to a global name, still delta platform. The vans are the subject of this thread about how a buick van in china would probably sell okay here.

Cars like the Odyssey, Civic, Corolla, VW Golf, Avalon, even the Nissan 350/370Z have stuck around. Where as Venture, Uplander, Terrazza, Lucerne, Cobalt, Astra, G8, Catera, etc are a lot of one and dones. When you get it right, you don't have to drop the model or the nameplate after one generation and start over. I don't really think GM can get a van right, they have blundered it many times.

The reasoning you provide in both these arguments are contradictory. Make up your mind as to why those models failed or say that you have no clue.

Well those one and done cars failed for multiple reasons. One is cost to import vs volume they got from them, two is the product wasn't very good, three is GM as usually looks for quick fixes, just to name a few. GM looks for these niche cars and quick fixes to appease dealers, bringing a van over from China would flop like the others did. The way to do it is to have consistently good products that are global cars, and consistent product names. Just in the past 10 years Chevy had Cavalier, Cobalt and Cruze. Honda and Toyota have had Civic and Corolla for 40 years.

Well those one and done cars failed for multiple reasons. One is cost to import vs volume they got from them, two is the product wasn't very good, three is GM as usually looks for quick fixes, just to name a few. GM looks for these niche cars and quick fixes to appease dealers, bringing a van over from China would flop like the others did. The way to do it is to have consistently good products that are global cars, and consistent product names. Just in the past 10 years Chevy had Cavalier, Cobalt and Cruze. Honda and Toyota have had Civic and Corolla for 40 years.

WOW SMK, You just sumed up VW, MB and BMW all in the above comments. Mediocre product at best with nothing in the top 10 of JD powers quality report.

At least some of GM's auto's have consistently been in the top reports of quality.

Buick would be very successful here in the US with a luxury Minivan. There are those that want something other than the downsized Asian Van's or the plastic cave of Chrysler. In areas that do not need AWD, you can have a luxury FWD Minivan that would sell very well for large families.

The only thing the Corolla has been consistently good at is being mediocre. There are 2013 Corollas still on the lots TODAY with 4-speed automatics.

The Corolla is awful no doubt, but people still buy it because of Toyota name and familiarity with it.

WOW SMK, You just sumed up VW, MB and BMW all in the above comments. Mediocre product at best with nothing in the top 10 of JD powers quality report.

At least some of GM's auto's have consistently been in the top reports of quality.

Mercedes was the #2 automaker in JD power dependability ratings this year, so they beat 35 or so other people. Unlike GM which has had to recall 1.6 million Delta platform cars, now recalling Lambda SUVs, now had to put a stop sale on the Cruze, and is now recalling the ELR also. GM quality is lacking, they haven't fixed it yet. And I am not a fan of side projects like a Buick minivan that would sell 20,000 units a year in a good scenario when you have a weak Malibu. You have to get the main course right before you can worry about the trimmings.

Mercedes was the #2 automaker in JD power dependability ratings this year, so they beat 35 or so other people. Unlike GM which has had to recall 1.6 million Delta platform cars, now recalling Lambda SUVs, now had to put a stop sale on the Cruze, and is now recalling the ELR also. GM quality is lacking, they haven't fixed it yet. And I am not a fan of side projects like a Buick minivan that would sell 20,000 units a year in a good scenario when you have a weak Malibu. You have to get the main course right before you can worry about the trimmings.

Not sure what reports you are looking at but here is the links and the current info.

2014 Dependability Survey.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm

NOT ONE Mercedes, BMW or VW, but 7 GM auto's

2013 Initial Quality Survey.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/quality.htm

MB GLK CUV Compact Class was the only auto MB got in.

GM has 8 Auto's on the list from chevy, Buick, GMC and Cadillac.

2013 APEAL - Design and Performance Survey

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/performance.htm

MB has the single SL 2 door

BMW has the 5 series sedan

VW has 2 auto's

GM has 4 auto's on the list.

Still think MB is better than GM, Guess Again and thank you for playing! ;)

On entire brand Mercedes is #2. Cadillac was #3 and Buick was #5 which is very good, but then look at the 4.8 million cars GM just had to recall. Including 2014 Silverados, and 2015 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. Even the brand new stuff has faults like the pre-bankruptcy stuff. If they can't get bread and butter vehicles like the Cruze, Silvarado and Malibu right, they can't be toying with the idea of importing low volume Buick Minivans from China.

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Press-Release.htm